Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Morrisons

Default Morrisons!

Wow, our local Morrisons have improved lately. I haven't been in there for ages because I tend to use local shops like the farm shop and the small Co-op.
    I went in there and there was loads of vegan food, I bought way too much stuff.
    I know it's not very healthy but for the occasional treat I used to love supernoodles and now Morrisons own brand (not all, check the labels) are doing vegan instant noodles.
    Their own brand fozen mince substitute is vegan, they had loads of the Cauldron vegan products (and all the non vegan ones so again check labels), they are doing True-From products which our local Morrisons never used to stock, fake meat vegan sandwich fillers (vegi-deli).
    I got a whole months shopping without having to go anywhere else, oh apart from veg which I prefer to get fresh every couple of days from the farm shop or my garden.
    I was quite impressed.
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Morrisons!

Quote Hemlock
    I know it's not very healthy but for the occasional treat I used to love supernoodles and now Morrisons own brand (not all, check the labels) are doing vegan instant noodles.
    My son loves noodles. Do those Morrisons ones contain any GM ingredients? I stopped buying Sainsburys noodles because of this so it would be great to find some GM free noodles.

i have used morrisons for the first time recently, and was also impressed.

I have been trying to find out a bit about them as company eg animal testing policy, financial investments etc..without much joy.

does anybody know anything about them?
    I dont get crunchy people?

I'm sure I read somewhere just the other day that Morrisons had no policy in place. Most supermarkets are dodgy in that respect. I think only the Co-op is BUAV approved.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Maisiepaisie
    My son loves noodles. Do those Morrisons ones contain any GM ingredients? I stopped buying Sainsburys noodles because of this so it would be great to find some GM free noodles.
    *Runs downstairs to get packet......runs back up three flights* The ingredients on Chow Mein flavour instant noodles are:
    Noodles, wheat flour, vegetable oil, salt, yeast extract, sugar, flavourings, malt extract, E150, ground spices, E635, paprika extract, spice extract.

No mention of anything GM anywhere on the packet. I only looked at the chow mein flavour, I didn't bother looking at the beef, chicken flavours. The E numbers are probably not very good for you, but hey, it's not as if we'll be eating them everyday. Do they have to declare whether the product is GM then? Because there is no mention of it.

I think they only declare if it definitely isn't.

I hadn't realised the Sainsbury ones were GM - I had some last night

Quote Hemlock
    *Runs downstairs to get packet......runs back up three flights* The ingredients on Chow Mein flavour instant noodles are:
    Noodles, wheat flour, vegetable oil, salt, yeast extract, sugar, flavourings, malt extract, E150, ground spices, E635, paprika extract, spice extract.
    are they labelled as vegan? If not, how do you know the contents and origins of the flavourings?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Rob(QG)
    I think they only declare if it definitely isn't.

I hadn't realised the Sainsbury ones were GM - I had some last night
    I can't remember now if it was GM or E numbers I was concerned about. I seem to remember seeing modified maize somewhere but now I think about it that was in the 8p packets. The ones at 23p I think only have E numbers...still bad tho

Quote Mr Flibble
    are they labelled as vegan? If not, how do you know the contents and origins of the flavourings?
    They are labelled as vegetarian and I can't find any ingredients on there that may suggest milk or eggs.

Quote Maisiepaisie
    I can't remember now if it was GM or E numbers I was concerned about. I seem to remember seeing modified maize somewhere but now I think about it that was in the 8p packets. The ones at 23p I think only have E numbers...still bad tho
    I throw away the flavour packet anyhow - too much salt. I just eat the noodles.

Flavourings can often contain milk or milk products, Hemlock

Quote Rob(QG)
    Good idea. Do you use anything else to flavour instead?

Quote Rob(QG)

Flavourings can often contain milk or milk products, Hemlock
    But Morrison's have a policy on labelling - their labels always say: "Contains" and states if it has milk or eggs in, this product just states,"Contains gluten". They always say if it has been on a production line near eggs, nuts etc too.
    I'd be pissed off if I found out milk/eggs weren't labelled on one of their products.
    I may have to e-mail them because I love instant noodles

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Good idea. Do you use anything else to flavour instead?
    If I have them with a stir fry, then I just add sauce or soy sauce to the stir fry. I don't generally eat them on their own - if I did I would probably add mushrooms and a bit of soy sauce.

Quote Hemlock
    But Morrison's have a policy on labelling - their labels always say: "Contains" and states if it has milk or eggs in, this product just states,"Contains gluten". They always say if it has been on a production line near eggs, nuts etc too.
    True, but there's nothing about other vegetarian but non vegan ingredients thou, such as bee and insect products (honey, wax, shellac etc). Also milk proteins etc could have been used in the production of the flavourings and then removed. Thus the product no longer contains it but it isn't vegan.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Sainsbury's have a no GMO policy on all their own brand products, and state that it on every packet.

"Modified" in this sense does not mean "genetically modified", it means it went through some other kind of processing to suit the needs of the product it's being used in.

Thats good to know Twinkle. I wonder if that also applies to other products containing 'modified' ingredients such as baked beans.

Ohh weird, I was going to start a thread on Morrisons too. As I went in there last Saturday, and they had a buy one get one free on cauldron tofu, I got LOADS. They have a very good range of peas and lentils too. Hurrah. I even found a vegan ready meal in there once, a (very very) spicy bean dish, nice though. Oh and they sell Swedish Glace vanilla icecream, I love it how thats not just confined to the health food shops.

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Thats good to know Twinkle. I wonder if that also applies to other products containing 'modified' ingredients such as baked beans.
    Yeah - that would be modified starch - that's covered by what Twinkle said.

Oh good. Now I know its not GM I can start buying 12p beans instead of 69p ones

You should try the Sainsbury's Organic ones. Pricy, but great for a special occasion

Quote sosmixchild
    Ohh weird, I was going to start a thread on Morrisons too. As I went in there last Saturday, and they had a buy one get one free on cauldron tofu, I got LOADS. They have a very good range of peas and lentils too. Hurrah. I even found a vegan ready meal in there once, a (very very) spicy bean dish, nice though. Oh and they sell Swedish Glace vanilla icecream, I love it how thats not just confined to the health food shops.
    Yes they have 2 ready made vegan organic meals, the chilli one but for some reason that one's a lot spicier than it used to be and the other one is a lentil thing that's really nice. Both labelled vegan.

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Oh good. Now I know its not GM I can start buying 12p beans instead of 69p ones
    Cheaper beans have more salt in them, though. Heinz have the least salt in, also the Heinz reduced salt and sugar beans have no sweetner added (they are a bit bland, but adding spices cures that).

I used to eat a tin of cheap beans on 4 slices toast - that would be about 5g salt from the beans, another 2 from the toast, some from the margarine.... over 7g of salt from just one meal

sugarmouse

i used to like their potmeals (junk food lol) i think theyre called snack meals...lil 20g instnat meal thingies..when i was a student and a veggie.does anyone know are these vegan?

Morrisons and health food shops do Freefrom pot meals which are much better, there is a lentil and rice one and a potato and something one (sorry can't remember what is in it - but it's nice), both of which are vegan.

Talking of pot meals does anyone know of any vegan cup a soups?
    Might not be the healthiest of meals, but needs must sometimes at work, I've found some nice miso soup instant sachets, but do you know of any others? Thanks you

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...ript/home.html

Search for soup and scroll down - loads of different ones there. Some of them may be available in your local health food shop, or they may be able to get them. Worth checking out some of the ones that aren't labelled vegan, as goodnessdirect doesn't seem to label everything that is vegan.

Free from cup noodles have hydrogenated fats in Sainsbury do a cheapie chicken and mushroom one that is vegan and has no hydrogenated fats.

Default Morrisons

I don't know if they're suddenly stocking new vegan products, but I noticed they have Redwoods sage and herb slices, plus some other Redwoods mock meat slices, and Granose nut roasts/sosmix/burgermix. They have Swedish Glace ice cream, but only vanilla. They also have Grassington's Spicy Bean Burgers which are gorgeous And Morrisons brand of Crumble mix is also vegan.

If anyone else shops at Morrisons (any branch), what have you found that's vegan-friendly?

edit: sorry for not using search - still getting the hang of how these forums work.
    Last edited by Tikkin; Jan 9th, 2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: this was the ist post in a similar thread, please use the search
    Don't hate...educate!

Default Re: Morrisons

Yes, my local Morrisons 'Free From' section also carries Plamil chocolate bars, Whizzers chocolate beans, eggs and footballs, Alpro Vanilla, Chocolate and Toffee Soy Desserts, Morrisons 'free from' cookies (coconut, ginger and raspberry varieties), in the chilled section there's the alpro yogurts (fruity and plain) and they also do the granose soya creem too as well as a few tinned/packaged lentil dahl's, bombay potato, curries, chillies etc for when you're feeling too lazy to do them from scratch!!

Now there's some more things I need to try from there
    Last edited by Tikkin; Jan 9th, 2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: change wording
    Don't hate...educate!

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Their own brand fozen mince substitute is vegan,
    Are you sure about this? I used to buy their version of 'chicken style pieces' when I was veggie and they contained egg and milk, so I assumed that their version of mince would too. I better go back and check myself.
    Don't hate...educate!

My Dads' just started working for Morrisons, so I shall have to pop in and see what the new store offers.

Quote Tikkin View Post
    Are you sure about this? I used to buy their version of 'chicken style pieces' when I was veggie and they contained egg and milk, so I assumed that their version of mince would too. I better go back and check myself.
    -Runs downstairs and double checks her packet of mince-
    It's definately vegan ^-^
    And yummy toooooooo

Love,
    Melanie
    ~xx

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Yes, my local Morrisons 'Free From' section also carries Plamil chocolate bars, Whizzers chocolate beans, eggs and footballs, Alpro Vanilla, Chocolate and Toffee Soy Desserts, Morrisons 'free from' cookies (coconut, ginger and raspberry varieties), in the chilled section there's the alpro yogurts (fruity and plain) and they also do the granose soya creem too as well as a few tinned/packaged lentil dahl's, bombay potato, curries, chillies etc for when you're feeling too lazy to do them from scratch!!
    Out of interest, what's the soya creem like?
    I tried a canned (like squirty cream) one once and it wasn't very nice
    ~xx

Quote Melanie View Post
    Out of interest, what's the soya creem like?
    I tried a canned (like squirty cream) one once and it wasn't very nice
    ~xx
    The Granose Soya Creem tastes horrible and stale - I bought some at Christmas, tasted it and threw it in the bin. I've also had some Soya Too! squirty cream, which wasn't that pleasant either. Again, it tasted stale.

I'll definitely be buying the Morrisons mince now if it's vegan - much cheaper than going to Holland and Barrett
    Don't hate...educate!

Ick, I won't try the soya creem then
    ~xx

My friend says Morrisons have got a 4 bottled ciders (normally £1.59 each) for a fiver offer on at the moment, including several of the Weston's range.

My local Morrisons also has Redwood Beef Style slices (the VegiDeli ones), and have been selling them for about a year now. Much cheaper than elsewhere, they're 99p a pack (Sage & Onion at 89p per pack).

ours too, cos i bought some (sage & onion) on friday and ate them with some rocket and sun blushed tomatoes in a toasted pitta bread, and very tasty it was too.
    there's a beef type one too..it smelled like beef..unsure what to make of that really..

just noticed previous post mentioned the beef one.

i have recently asked in morrissons about vegan wine, but was in a hurry at the time and possibly pre menstrual when the lady looked vaguely at me i may have snarled and shuffled off angrily.
    ..have just checked in my animal free shopper book that morrissons don't actually provide any lists of which of their products are suitable, and not just for wine. Is this right??

Customer Service dept
    Wm morrisson
    Supermarkets plc
    Parry Lane
    Bradford
    BD4 8TD

tel 01274 356000

^^ contact details for morrisons if anyone wants them
    Last edited by emmapresley; Jan 14th, 2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: adding an extra bit

I have avoided the beef style slices because well...they sound too 'heavy' if that makes sense.
    Don't hate...educate!

Quote emmapresley View Post
    i have recently asked in morrissons about vegan wine, but was in a hurry at the time and possibly pre menstrual when the lady looked vaguely at me
    Most supermarket staff are useless when it comes to asking about wine. I find off licences are better, they often have a list if you ask.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I find people look at me like I'm stupid.
    Wine? Of COURSE it's vegan you stupid girl.
    Milk? In bread?
    Obsurd!

On a similar supermarket theme, i went into our local co-op this afternoon and saw for the first time ever a 'non frozen 'health' food section'...comprising of loads of quorn products, cauldron lincolnshire sausages and cauldron soya burgers..just over a quid for two. Spurred on with enthusiasm,i bought some soya burgers, and at the checkout, asked if they could get the cauldron tofu in.

There is absolutely nowhere in my (smallish) town, which includes two supermarkets and a small health food shop that sells tofu..in order to get some it's a bit of a bulk order down morrissons then into the freezer.

I'm not that familiar with how supermarkets/shops decide what to order in, but it seemed to me that if they can get one or two products of a certain make, then surely they can get other products, especially if there is customer interest. I am interested and I spend enough money in that shop to be, I would expect, valued as a customer.

I asked the lady serving on the till, who called over another woman who wasn't awfully good at articulating that if 'they didn't bring it in with the other things then it wouldn't be on the list'. This didn't really make a lot of sense to me..so I asked her about the list, and would she please go and have a peek on the list to find out if it was possible to order it..she actually STROPPED off, brought back the manager who seemed a bit put out also and pointed out that if the item required wasn't on their stores order list, then the only way it could be requested to be stocked was if it could be proven to be 'in demand' and then it could take its rightful place on the shelves, but only at the expense of something else which doesn't sell so well being taken off.

This might seem daft, but I've been shopping in there for years now and I was a little bit taken aback by their slack attitude, and can't help thinking (rightly or wrongly) that if I had gone in and asked for big fat pig'n'cow sausages or a pie or something more conventional,I would've got a better response.

The manager suggested with a bit of a smirk that I try the customer service number and go from there.
    I have to say it's hard NOT to feel like I'm the weirdo here

That's rubbish emmapresley.
    I suggest you write and or ring their customer service number and complain to their head office about the treatment their staff gave you.
    That's unacceptable, especially at a co-op- I thought they were always nice in there
    I know that Holland&Barrett always order in things.

Thinking about it though-when I worked at Waitrose, they stopped stocking the tofu weiners, so I asked the manager on fresh foods, and he said they weren't selling enough, and if I asked for them to be ordered in personally, I would have to buy a bulk lot- 50 packets!
    Thats 2000 weiners!!
    So maybe- even though they were incredibly rude- were talking some sense.

it kind of makes sense..the ordering in bulk thing.. thing is now i'll be wandering around the co-op looking at all the different stuff trying to think of things to suggest they should get rid of to make room for cauldron tofu. i totally know that they ALWAYS have to reduce smoked mackerel in those vacuum pack things.

i asked a few days back in our local h f shop if they could get 500ml bottles of choc alpro soya shake in and THE LIST was consulted..nope, it isn't on THE LIST.. small boxes of 250mls are..in packs of three..but impossible to get 500ml bottles. There was an option of chocolate soy dream?? but if i wanted some of that I'd have to order it in a pack of 12 one litre cartons..not even the option of sending a sample carton..and I've never actually heard of chocolate soy dream..what if I have to buy 12 litres and it's hideous??

I understand about small shops and turnover and demand and all that..just would've thought the co-op might've been more helpful. I will phone the customer service line and have a polite rant I think.

Quote Troutina View Post
    I find people look at me like I'm stupid.
    Wine? Of COURSE it's vegan you stupid girl.
    Milk? In bread?
    Obsurd!
    Could be worse, there's also the paraffin that's in every sliced loaf of bread you buy in the shops.

It's not listed in the ingredients but it is used in the solution that the two major bakeries* (who supply the dough pre-formed to local supermarkets who then pass it off as 'fresh store-baked bread') use to clean the blades that cut the dough into small loaves before they are baked.

I found this out back in 1992, in an 'anarchist leaning' custom motorbike magazine called AWoL (sadly now defunct) that had a regular piece called 'State of the Nation'; that's one of the reasons me and Hemlock bake our own bread.

*Key Players fromThe Bakers Federation Website

"Throughout Europe, there is a strong link between the industrial baking sector and the agricultural and milling industries, with many of the large bakers being owned by key agricultural or milling concerns. For example, in the UK the two largest plant bakers, Allied Bakeries and British Bakeries, are owned by Associated British Foods and Ranks Hovis Macdougal."

dresdown

Morrisons are totally useless they don’t label their products properly and when you call their care line they cant even tell you if its vegan or not all they say is read the back of the packaging

Well that’s a great help

When I was a nipper growing up in Halifax, Morrisons was on the end of the road. It was the best thing going. But now, they only ever seem to employ kids who couldn't give a stuff about what's being sold.

When the one in Eastbourne sold out to Waitrose last year, the service improved immensely!

Just to let you know, Morrison's organic Spanish Airen (white) wine and the organic Spanish Shiraz (red) are vegan! It's labelled vegetarian but they have checked into it and confirmed it's vegan. It's not the best wine in the world but it's nice enough.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

As RW said, I actually managed to get sensible answer out of them about those 2 wines. The customer line took 4 days to find out, but they did check it out and call me back. I asked them about producing a list and they said they don't have one, and wouldn't make one, but are happy to check out any other wines we may ask about. Dur - "that's not very efficient" I said - they agreed.
    So...I have a plan.
    I suggest we all pick a bottle from the shelf that we might want to buy and call them. IF they get enough requests from us, they may change their mind and think it's worth producing a list after all.

Careline : 0845 611 6111
    Last edited by Cumin; Feb 1st, 2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add phone number
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

did they give reason as to why they wouldn't make a list cumin? is there not just enough demand?