Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Morrisons

Default Re: Morrisons

i don't have a local Morrisons and my local Sainsburys have never had the neapolitan ice cream no fair!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

don't worry, you're not missing anything

Hey Wildcatstrike,

We've always got the swedish glace range in stock in our shop inc the brand new blueberry , I remember when the delivery lorry guy was unloading it into the shop, we had only just opened the box to put them in the freezer and a woman spotted the blue berry Swedish Glace and ran in to buy some even though we were closed due to such a massive delivery, she still begged us if she could buy some so we said yes lol. She was back 3 days later for more too lol.

RE Morrisons , I heard they got a fine in 2007 as a Northamptonshire vegetarian apparently found meat in his veggie ravioli,

http://veganworldwidenews.blogspot.c...1_archive.html (half way down next to the Vegan sunflower.

Anyway, enough talk about supermarkets , yuck lol.

Yeah, the neapolitan isn't as good as the raspberry.

The blueberry looks like zombie brains, and isn't very tasty at all.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Kyi-po View Post
    RE Morrisons , I heard they got a fine in 2007 as a Northamptonshire vegetarian apparently found meat in his veggie ravioli,

http://veganworldwidenews.blogspot.c...1_archive.html (half way down next to the Vegan sunflower.

Anyway, enough talk about supermarkets , yuck lol.

Hehe i know, i posted a link to that article earlier in this thread I have got to get to your shop and get me some ice cream, you have loads!

I haven't tried all of the swedish glace ones but the ones i have tried (tried about 4 i think?) i've loved them all like hell.

Anyway.. getting off topic.. ahem

Oh happy day! I have long bemoaned the lack of of vegan cuppa soups. Corum and I went to Morrisons this evening and found 10 calorie cup a soups totally vegan (and approved by the vegetarian society) fantastic for people on a diet or needing a quick snack. They are:

Ten calorie soup by Gourmet Cuisine in 'chicken' and tomato flavours made in Israel which is probably why they are vegan - kosher.
    Silent but deadly :p

Thanks Hemlock - I've had a wanting for those for a long time too
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I think morrisons have stopped doing there reduced fat salad cream now and do light salad cream instead that has egg in it. pity.

I did find some salad cream that looks vegan though, I think it's made by a company called waistline or something similar.

yes, i'm pretty sure Waistline salad cream's vegan.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

JC

does anyone know if morrison's bread is vegan, in particular the tiger bread? they have such an amazing selection, it'd be a shame for it not to be! i went the other day and was very impressed by the free-from section. it even had my beloved chocolate stars, which i've struggled to find elsewhere round here. AND the small nakd bars (nibbles) were 49p!! wow...!

I tried to find out if any morrisons bakery products were vegan by calling their helpline, they were rude to me and told me things like "if it's vegan it'll say so on the packet", I got hung up on by another person and finally someone put me through to a person who sounded like they'd help, they would only find out for 1 product though and promised to call me back about it - they never did.

Morrisons customer service (both in store & on phone) is absolute sh*t IMHO - It's ridiculous that a supermarket chain of their size doesn't have an email address.

EDIT: Just realised I had a rant about this a few posts earlier

JC

How mean! Would it be safe to assume that things that are usually vegan i.e. rye bread, would be vegan? and to avoid things which obviously aren't, like cheese bread and danish pastries.

If only that were true JC - we'd all find things a lot easier. I don't think it's safe to assume anything when it comes to supermarket food.
    Risker - I agree. They are rude and patronising. I asked about a product once and they never called me back either.
    You can just hear them at the other end: "I can't be bothered.... it's only 1 person..."
    That's why I refuse to shop there except in an emergency.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I asked in our Morrisons - the baker said lots of their breads have milk or egg in or as a glaze, they didnt have a list, Sainsburys seem to know which ones are ok in fact they said most were unless it said cheese or buttermilk on the allergy bit. Trouble is the ingredients lists not on the fresh made bread, takes them ages to find a list if they have one!

I work with someone who was a manager once in Morrisons who has said not to go on the vegan lists!!

I asked a guy at the fresh bread bit in my local M'sons once and he went and got the manager cos he didn't know! The manager didn't know either but was well polite, he was like "i don't know about that sir, i don't think we have a list either. it's possible there's no milk in the bread but some (can't remember what he said now but let's go with raising agents) have milk powder in them so i'd have to say probably not suitable". Quite honest of him i thought!

But yeah, people on the phones are usually a complete waste of time. I do a similar job to that myself and trust me, they don't care about your call they just want to get the shift over with as easily as possible.

I've asked about pizza bases and samosas in ASDA a few times before and had two totally different versions of suitability - "yes they are vegan".. "no they aren't vegan".

Can't trust anyone i guess.. i guess you have to make a judgement call.

I asked about the Tiger bread in Morrisons, and the man behind the counter said "no glaze, no animal". He wasn't the most fluent in English. I didn't trust his opinion on it though.

JC

Quote alisont View Post
    I asked in our Morrisons - the baker said lots of their breads have milk or egg in or as a glaze
    oh bugger i had some bread from there the other day!

I only buy stuff with ingredients listed!
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Risker View Post
    I think morrisons have stopped doing there reduced fat salad cream now and do light salad cream instead that has egg in it. pity.

I did find some salad cream that looks vegan though, I think it's made by a company called waistline or something similar.
    Just thought I'd mention that Co-op do a reduced-fat salad cream in a squeezy bottle - it's marked 'vegan' on the front
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Bad news, Morrisons have new packaging for their monkey nuts and it no longer has a vegan symbol on it - I think they might have started using real monkeys

Quote Risker View Post
    Bad news, Morrisons have new packaging for their monkey nuts and it no longer has a vegan symbol on it - I think they might have started using real monkeys
    Oh dear a tea spluttering moment you narna!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

My local Morrisons still sells the Redwood Beef slices although some weeks, their stock is only of the Sage and Onion. Deliveries (I work at Morrisons) can be varying and the stock can differ according to the day you go in, the time and also the staff (i.e. if they can bother to stock up or not!)
    vegan and proud.

Quote Pob View Post
    Talking of Cauldron Falafels, it's become quite hard to find the ones without honey or cheese in

My local Tesco sell bags of frozen falafels

My local Morrisons has just started selling their own brand "Meat Free" nut cutlets which, after a quick scan, look to be vegan.
    vegan and proud.

LGBunny

Quote confusionisben View Post
    I asked about the Tiger bread in Morrisons, and the man behind the counter said "no glaze, no animal". He wasn't the most fluent in English. I didn't trust his opinion on it though.
    Don't know if it helps, but the co-op tiger bread is definately vegan

I can't see the Morrisons stuff being much different (although I guess you can never be 100% without an ingredients listing)

Morrisons don't care about vegans and they never will because, in common with every other supermarket, it's only the bottom line that matters and vegan products will never sell by the shed load (the criteria they judge everything by). Also Morrisons (along with TOSCOs etc.) are the biggest butchers in the land. Why you wanna give 'em the business? Vote with your feet and cultivate a relationship with your friendly local independents. This works well - they will order stuff specially for you! And remember, your local wholefood grocerys are likely to be better disposed to other dietary persuasions and are oftens run by veg*ns.

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    Vote with your feet and cultivate a relationship with your friendly local independents.
    - would be nice to have the choice....
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Morrisons don't care about vegans and they never will because, in common with every other supermarket, it's only the bottom line that matters and vegan products will never sell by the shed load (the criteria they judge everything by). Also Morrisons (along with TOSCOs etc.) are the biggest butchers in the land. Why you wanna give 'em the business? Vote with your feet and cultivate a relationship with your friendly local independents. This works well - they will order stuff specially for you! And remember, your local wholefood grocerys are likely to be better disposed to other dietary persuasions and are oftens run by veg*ns.
    and it's alright when you have the choice...

supermarkets are often open 'til 10pm+, so for people working from 7.30am-8.30pm, this is all they can manage some days.

Take for example, our local healthfood shop in Seaford - they know they've got a niche market being the only wholefood seller in the area so they charge a lot of money for their products compared with ... morrisons for example (who it is to be said, sell a decent range of stuff - beans, pulses, etc.). They also have pretty crummy opening hours so if, like me, you don't finish work till six, they're shut, which means you have to waste a precious weekend going shopping.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I could get all my vegetables from my local greengrocers (that doesn't exist) and while I'm there they can order me in some redwoods sausages (oh wait, no, they can't, they're a greengrocer).

I'm pleased to hear that you're able to live in such a way, jonnie falafel, to only buy from local independant stores that you have established a good repertoire with and are able to easily obtain the items you need. However, this route isn't open to all of us, and you know what, I quite like shopping in supermarkets. I like being able to get all my food shopping in one place and only having to queue up once. I don't care if they care about me or not, all I want them to do is sell me products for a low cost. As for them being butchers, not a problem, I just don't buy the meat. Simple really.

Coincidentally I'm off to Morrisons now, to buy some cans of beer for 50p each. But I suppose I could go to my local independant corner shop and buy them for £1 each... hmmm, nah.

Supermarkets have created the notion that food is cheap but someone else is always paying the price as they off load costs to producers. Lower costs of course mean corners have to be cut and so things like animal welfare standards fall and personally I would be ashamed to support the exploitative food culture that the supermarkets have played no small part in creating. The supermarkets actually limit your choice as the independents are crushed by the competion and disappear. Take a look around any small town in the vicinity of TESCOs, Morrisons, Sainsburys etc.

To be honest I don't really buy the time argument. I work 70 hours a week which include saturdays and still I stay out of the temples of doom. Search your hearts folks have you really tried to find alternatives. Many independents have on line delivery services. Take a look why don't you. I know many people don't. I work opposite one of the best green grocers in my town and a woman I work with still insisted she had to get into her car and go 2 miles to buy cauliflower!

I work opposite one of the best green grocers in my town
    I guess that's why it's so easy for you to get there. Not all of us have that luxury. I do, but the shop in my village is very expensive. And with fruit and veg being expensive as it is in Italy, it's not a luxury I can afford all the time.

The selection offered by our local farm shop has been pretty poor and rather expensive of late.

As soon as the 'credit crunch' started to bite, all their prices went right up and the quality went down. OK, Morrisons fruit isn't much better so it's a bit of a no-win down here. I'd quite happily grow our own veg (will do when the garden's sorted out after the building work).

My argument - see the lost thread of mine I posted yesterday - is that in the SE of england, prices are dear and quality isn't perfect wherever you go, unless you get stuff off neighbours' allotments (like we do )
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

BlackCats

I think it is great that people do support their local shops if they are good but I prefer just to order online and get all my shopping in one go. Lots of people I know work one or two jobs and don't have the time or inclination to spend their Saturdays trawling round the different shops (some people I know don't drive also and are single and so have to carry their shopping themselves.) Saying that I am getting sick of getting less and less fruit and veg for the same price from Tesco so I'm hopefully going to go back to ordering a organic veggie box so at least I know it is quality even if it costs a bit more.

(Nothing to do with Morrisons, I don't even shop there!)

in theory, i'm with jonnie falafel..but realistically..hear what people are saying!!!

i live in a small twinkly market town that was under the threat of having a tesco built slap bang in the centre where the footy club is.
    i work for one of the small business's in the town and we're all cliquey matey with a lot of the other small business's and it was a really cacky stressful time for everyone.
    i see a few other market towns up here that fell pray to the tesco evilness..batley for eg. i don't like what it does to local business having mega shopping places like that..and i don't give a stuff that i can go at 3am and get galangal just cos of it
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Well said Emma... In Seacroft, a suburb of Leeds, they demolished an entire precinct of twenty two shops to install a giant TESCO in its place. Studies showed it resulted in a net loss of jobs in the local economy replacing many with part time, low skilled minimum wage labour. The rate of small shop closures within an 8 mile radius in the five years after it was built increased dramatically.... clothes shops, florists, chemists, grocers & even banks went down the tube and shopping deserts were created in some areas leaving people no choice but to travel to TESCO. Every little hurts!

Jennie

Talking Re: Morrisons

Hi! Before I begin...Risker, you made me smile, about the cans of drink in morrisons lol! good response! I haven't read this thread entirely, too long lol, but I shop in morrisons, moz and online for a lot of my vegan products. My p.a and I have spent literally hours, and that's no exageration, looking at different ingredients' listings on products, to see whether we feel they're suitable or not? some we've been happy with, some we definitely haven't. we use a website
    http://www.isitvegan.info
    which sadly is only valid in the UK, but it is good. isitvegan states that Morrisons doesn't have it's own vegan products or trademark, so it's up to the individual to check the products and decide for themselves. I can guarantee that their own cola is safe, and so are their own crumpets...Hettie and I have compared ingredients against Hovis bread, which states vegan on the packaging,however, we weren't happy with morrisons own bread, but I can't remember why? Morrisons have also just brought out a brand new multi-purpose cleaner,which actually states on the bottle that it's suitable for vegans...if anyone wants to know, or finds that information useful. Bit of an essay, this comment, innit? Moz is my local store though, so I'd be grateful for ANY info on any product you people are happy with, so w/b, either via the thread, or pm me. Thanks. Jennie. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

cobweb

Well said Emma... In Seacroft, a suburb of Leeds, they demolished an entire precinct of twenty two shops to install a giant TESCO in its place. Studies showed it resulted in a net loss of jobs in the local economy replacing many with part time, low skilled minimum wage labour. The rate of small shop closures within an 8 mile radius in the five years after it was built increased dramatically.... clothes shops, florists, chemists, grocers & even banks went down the tube and shopping deserts were created in some areas leaving people no choice but to travel to TESCO. Every little hurts!

well i used to own and run a small general shop and i worked 7 days a week at a net loss - yes, partly because we cannot compete with the big boys, but also because it's the way people shop these days, they want everything in one place, with free parking and convenient hours - plus of course lower prices.

i mention this because, at the time when i had my shop, i almost applied for evening work in Tesco as the appeal of actually getting a minimum wage sounded like a godsend.

To be honest I don't really buy the time argument. I work 70 hours a week which include saturdays and still I stay out of the temples of doom. Search your hearts folks have you really tried to find alternatives. Many independents have on line delivery services. Take a look why don't you.
    I see in your profile you list your occupation as 'grocer'.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

Quote Marrers View Post
    I see in your profile you list your occupation as 'grocer'.

Zero

Hi Jonnie,

Why is it when I read your posts I feel like you are trying to sell me something?

You are probably right Morrisons very likely don't care about vegan's, in fact lets be honest about it; why would any company whose main customer base isn't vegan care all that much about having vegan options?

Although I get a good amount of my foods from local indipendent sources, it isn't always possible or pratical or they don't have eveything I am looking for, so I do end up going to Tesco (or some other large outlet).

I totally get what you are saying, I don't want to see small grocers etc go out of business and I certainly don't want to support the meat industry, but the fact remains that even if i do go to tesco my money is supporting vegan options and if we don't create a demand for these things then they will cease to exist, personally I want to support small independents where I can but also keep vegan options alive in the larger companies as another small component of pushing veganism more into the mainstream.

Large companies aren't necessarily evil, they are simply a product of our monetary based, capaitalist society which often creates a "grow or die" environment.

Jennie

Thumbs up Re: Morrisons

Bravo Zero! Like you, I try to support local stores where possible, but it's just not always possible, is it! and some people just can't afford to? when all's said and done, the smaller outlets hafta charge more, to manage their outgoings and overheads? If we, the vegan population, didn't encourage supermarkets and otherlarge companies to stock food for us, and meet our needs at least part way, there'd be nowhere for those of us who simply can't shop "locally", how cruel and selfish woud that be? We must encourage the main stream supermarkets etc to cater for our needs too. Jennie.
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Buddha Belly

I tried to live a local shopping only life and found it quite easy when i lived in Cambridge. An occassional trip to the co-op was brilliant and the market was next to work, i was only veggie then so it was even easier than now. I found it hard to get everything i needed at a cost that did not leave me skint but i loved it and found it practical.
    I now live in Letchworth and our greengrocer has just opened a shop for the first time (was in a 4 day a week market stall). he is 9-5. We have a really good health food shop too, also 9-5. I am not in Letchworth in time for them.
    What do i do? Get the train to Stevenage to shop 'local' or dive into Morrisons? Unfortunately reality sucks and i dive into Morrisons. Give me the ability to shop local and i will.

Ms Jennie morrisons don't have a great labelling system but it is getting better, may i recommend their own brand onion rings. As modelled by Helen 105281 on her avatar. They also do cheesley!!!!!!!!

Buddha Belly

ER Ms Jennie??? i meant ms vegan got your names backward

I popped into Doom, I mean Morrison's, today and picked up the following things I hadn't had before:

Alpro soya single cream (in the chiller), 59p for 250ml. Will try tomorrow!

Grassington Gardein chicken fillets - on offer for £1 for 2 fillets.

Meatballs! Again, £1.

Also picked up choc alpro milk, £1 for 1L; Cauldron tofu BOGOF at £1.09.

Good work, I may have to investigate
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

wow, i've never seen those Grassingtons products before, Morrisons seem to stock quite a few vegan products i can't get round here.

Everyone say "awwww" for the poor person living in Brighton - that baron vegan wilderness
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

haha very funny

BlackCats

Yum, that Grassington's stuff looks nice.