Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Morrisons

Zero

Default Re: Morrisons

Quote Gorilla View Post
    wow, i've never seen those Grassingtons products before, Morrisons seem to stock quite a few vegan products i can't get round here.
    All of their products I've ever looked at contained milk

yeah, all the Grassingtons products sold round here have some form of dairy in them.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote twinkle View Post
    I was going to come on here and tell you all about a voucher I got for Grassington's new "Gardein" range (all vegan! finally my heart won't have to automatically sink when I see there's only Grassington's stuff in the vegetarian section because there might be something beside beanburgers, if I'm lucky, in it. Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw Grassington beanburgers, it's nearly always the non vegan stuff...but I digress...)
    Posted in the 'Special Deals' thread - so it looks like a new range or a change of recipe.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Zero View Post
    All of their products I've ever looked at contained milk
    They seem to have made major changes to their products recently and actually make comments about vegan suitability on their website which they never did before. Plus they have the whole new Gardein based range which is all vegan stuff. Looks good !
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Website says:- "Our Multigrain Vegetable Bakes, Spicy Bean Burgers and NEW Gardein range are also suitable for Vegans"
    http://www.grassingtons.co.uk/range
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Zero

Quote Cumin View Post
    They seem to have made major changes to their products recently and actually make comments about vegan suitability on their website which they never did before. Plus they have the whole new Gardein based range which is all vegan stuff. Looks good !
    Cool!

Quote Marrers View Post
    Website says:- "Our Multigrain Vegetable Bakes, Spicy Bean Burgers and NEW Gardein range are also suitable for Vegans"
    http://www.grassingtons.co.uk/range
    I bought some of their multigrain vegetable bakes a few weeks ago. They were ok, made a change!

I thought they was minging. Not a patch on beanburgers or nut cutlets.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Ive not been to Morrisons since ours closed but went to the new store today - first impressions not good as was meant to meet Dad in the vege area but had to walk past the fish counter to get in and it stank

There were some good vegan options - the tomato and garlic bread, the organic chilli/casserole/bolognaise meals and tofu is on buy one get one free and is only £1.09,found the Grassingtons range - got the 'meat balls' and a kiev/fillet to try, found some gnocci that was ok too.

I asked the baker about the own breads he said they dont use milk/egg but there is a risk of traces/cross contamination, the speciality breads are brought in so couldnt tell me if they were ok, but said own basic bakery ranges are vegan as far as he knows

Not tried Grassingtons before but good to see vegan on the label

Quote alisont View Post
    Ive not been to Morrisons since ours closed but went to the new store today - first impressions not good as was meant to meet Dad in the vege area but had to walk past the fish counter to get in and it stank
    Could be worse, in my local Morrisons theres a refridgerated meat stand in the middle of the fruit & veg section.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

helen105281

My colleague told me today that Morrisons raspberry jam doughnuts (5 for £1) are labelled as vegan. Not sure whether to believe him or not as he is normally horrible to me on a daily basis. Will investigate when I am in there tomorrow.

Quote Risker View Post
    Could be worse, in my local Morrisons theres a refridgerated meat stand in the middle of the fruit & veg section.
    I was not impressed having to get my vege shopping with the smell of the fish counter in the air then there was a meat counter and a deli counter at the end! The veggie/vegan items were near the meat deli area.

Quote helen105281 View Post
    My colleague told me today that Morrisons raspberry jam doughnuts (5 for £1) are labelled as vegan. Not sure whether to believe him or not as he is normally horrible to me on a daily basis. Will investigate when I am in there tomorrow.
    The baker I spoke to yesterday said Morrisons have yet to add ingredients lists and suitable for veggies/vegans on their own brand bakery ranges, be nice if the doughnuts were vegan but id check it out with the bakery - high time they started a vegan list in Morrisons

he is normally horrible to me on a daily basis.
    garrot him
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

helen105281

Quote vava View Post
    garrot him
    Some days it is very tempting!!!!!

Some days it is very tempting!!!!!
    poison is less messy

helen105281

Quote vava View Post
    poison is less messy
    But is it vegan?

But is it vegan?
    ummmmmm........ phones a friend

Buddha Belly

Have found a great range of herbs in Morrisons (they may do them elsewhere, don't know). Four little plastic pots that go together,eg Italien, Thai, mexican. They have all the stranger herbs/ spices in. Thai has Lemongrass powder, Kaffir lime, chillis and Galangal. The mexican is even better. They are £1.79 - £2, but definately worth it. They are by the generic herby bit.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Have found a great range of herbs in Morrisons (they may do them elsewhere, don't know). Four little plastic pots that go together,eg Italien, Thai, mexican. They have all the stranger herbs/ spices in. Thai has Lemongrass powder, Kaffir lime, chillis and Galangal. The mexican is even better. They are £1.79 - £2, but definately worth it. They are by the generic herby bit.
    Brilliant, up to now I've had to get all my galangal from Waitrose I'm obsessed with the stuff.
    Silent but deadly :p

Buddha Belly

I'd never heard of it, what is it?

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I'd never heard of it, what is it?
    It's a bit like ginger but much milder and has a strong earthy taste.
    Silent but deadly :p

The co-op bakery jam doughnuts are labelled vegan.

Buddha Belly

I saw in Morrisons Cafe today that they are starting to do a Spinach and Lentil burger, i did ask the nice but slightly....slow, staff if they had an ingredient list or if they knew it was vegan. Alas i must now ask the forum if they are aware of this andif it is vegan. I will e-mail Morrisons anyway but not too hopeful as they are crap at responding to Vegany questions.

Do Morrisons have an email address available to the public? I've never been able to find one on their sorry excuse for a website.

Buddha Belly

Had to phone them and left a message they responded really fast and were lovely, but the burger has skimmed milk in

They're finally contactable through email via an online form - http://www.morrisons.co.uk/Store-fin...es/Contact-Us/

Buddha Belly

^ I will have to dig out the list of questions. Thanks for finding and posting that

Morrisons own brand cheapo mince pies are vegan btw, the ones in the yellow "look at me I buy poor food, so embarrass me into spending more" packaging.

Will be interested to hear if they respond to questions about specific products, please share if they do! I just contacted to ask if they produce a vegan list (even though I know they don't - it shows demand) and they responded just saying no, they don't produce one. Wondered if they had a stock answer about lack of demand or anything like that, but apparently not.
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

Buddha Belly

^ done it too. Never know, one year they may make a list. They got a new chairman last year who has slowly been changing things to be more like other supermarkets.

glovesforfoxes

I just emailed them asking for a list

Buddha Belly

I got an e-mail at about 5pm yesterday saying that they have no list of vegan friendly products. I have e-mailed back to ask if they were going to make one. They are yet to respond.
    Impressed with how fast the first response was.

Emailed too

Quote suzanne View Post
    Emailed too
    Got Reply today:

Thank you for your request for a list of vegan products sold at Morrisons. I am afraid that we do not produce such a list so it is not possible for us to forward one to you. I am sorry that we cannot be of more help on this occasion.

Emailed them too... this time not to request a vegan list, but a change in their recipes of "vegetarian" frozen foods.

aww...my dads 2nd home - penrith morrisons has sort of burnt down..he's rly gutted - he so does love to amble the aisles there.

i'm going to wakey morrisons tomorrow. to be in keeping with the thread, i shall be buying....vegan foods!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think Morrison's ginger buns are vegan, their almond squares used to be too but now have whey in. For me Morrisons are one of the best supermarkets for vegans, even if they dont publish a list, I tend to read everything anyway, they used to sell sosmix and chicken style bake! And the Safeways which was acquired by Morrisons used to do loads of treats including vegan jelly babies years ago. The other northern shop Home Bargains also has some vegan treats and generally will stock shampoos and toiletries that are crualty free and obviously very,very cheap!

I emailed them too and got a response about not producing a list. It's my local store, although we do have a Co-op too and so I've started looking there as their labelling is great. My partner pointed out that Morrison's would be unlikely to be too pro-vegan, as their history is butchery. But then Asda used to be Associated Dairies and was started by two farmers and they seem to be ok with it!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

friendly fri

Morrisons by us they sell alpro soya cream at 79p for 250 mls, great to lob over fruit or even on biscuits.
    They sell vegideli beef and vegideli sage n onion slices, 1 pound a pack.
    The trek bars they sell are wondrous i must confess..2 brands of this stuff .
    Great vegan stuff.
    :D :)

I was getting worried recently, as we have started to do some of our shopping at Morrisons - Cheezly, Pure slices, vegan frozen mince, Redwood VegiDeli slices. Marvellous!! Plus, a great choice in their 'healthy and free from' section!

The worry was because, over the last few weeks, I couldn't get any of the Pure cheese slices. And now there is no label on the shelf! So I emailed Morrisons, and this is the email I just received:

Dear ********

Thank you for your enquiry into this department.

With regards to the Pure Dairy Free Cheese Slices; I am pleased to say that this is a line which we still sell at Morrisons but are temporarily out of stock on at the moment in our Norwich branch.

However, I have taken the liberty of contacting the store and I have asked them to order more stocks in as quickly as possible. You should find these back on the shelves over the coming week. Should you have any problems in locating them, please ask a member of staff.

Once again thank you for contacting us and we look forward to serving you again soon in our Norwich store.

Yours sincerely

Claire Thornton
    Customer Services Department
    WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC

Very good response, I feel!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

cobweb

^ blimey!

I so strongly dislike the Morrisons adverts on telly that I always said I wouldn't shop with them again (used to years ago), but we may be moving somewhere where it'll be our local supermarket. Hmm, may to have to think again, especially as they do seem to stock a lot of vegan products .

I know - I always used to avoid Morrisons (mixture of ethics and snobbery) but it has proved to be pretty good for vegan choice. A big name supermarket that stocks vegan cheese - Cheezly, especially!! - and has vegan frozen mince ALWAYS on offer (2 for £3) and doesn't require a bus ride to get to it (just walking UP a big hill to go home after ).

So are morrisons good at marking products vegan?

Unfortunately, no. I haven't seen a vegan label on anything. That's why I do prefer Sainsburys, as their labelling is brilliant. But, seeing from their email I received, they do appear to listen, so emailing them about it might help. I always live in hope - glass half full, an' all that! After all, they now stock Cheezly!

leedsveg

Quote pusskins View Post
    I haven't seen a vegan label on anything.
    Bought some Morrison's unsweetened soya milk yesterday that says 'vegan' on it. They have even cheaper soya milk that's just ok for veggies so I presume the vitamin D element is not ok for vegans and is from lanolin.

Oh, and the price of their Redwood beef/sage & onion slices has gone up overnight from £1.15 to £1.37

lv

cobweb

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Bought some Morrison's unsweetened soya milk yesterday that says 'vegan' on it. They have even cheaper soya milk that's just ok for veggies so I presume the vitamin D element is not ok for vegans and is from lanolin.

Oh, and the price of their Redwood beef/sage & onion slices has gone up overnight from £1.15 to £1.37

lv

all that stuff has gone up a lot lately, LV, I think maufacturers/suppliers are using the VAT increase as a chance/reason/excuse to put EVERYTHING up!. We are having to re-price almost everything where I work, Vat-able or non.

Morrisons is horrible, I'd only shop there as a last resort. Several times they've done offers of a free chicken corpse with a certain spend amount (£30?). Up until recently they didn't even have an email address. Don't bother trying to ask them if their own brand products are vegan or not either, they don't know and don't care.

They've stocked cheezly for years, it's nothing special, pretty much all supermarkets of a decent size do.

friendly fri

Vegan cheese?
    In Yorkshire they dont have vegan cheese at Morrisons.
    And these vegi slices I dont buy now due to incessant price increases..supermarket robbery..at Morrisons.And another thing.When I wrote to them last May with a series of questions/comments on vegan scran, my letter was ignored.
    They are dreadful.
    :D :)

leedsveg

Quote cobweb View Post
    all that stuff has gone up a lot lately, LV, I think maufacturers/suppliers are using the VAT increase as a chance/reason/excuse to put EVERYTHING up!. We are having to re-price almost everything where I work, Vat-able or non.
    Very true Cobbers. Soon be the 40th anniversary of Decimalisation Day (15 February 1971) and I seem to remember that as an opportunity used by some, to rip-off the Great British public.

lv

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    Morrisons is horrible, I'd only shop there as a last resort. Several times they've done offers of a free chicken corpse with a certain spend amount (£30?).
    Wonder if we could now get them on the grounds of discrimination? I think it could be worth a try, letters to papers etc

lv