Thread: Native Foods

jeffg

Default Native Foods

Has anyone tried Native Foods cookbook? It is my favorte vegan cookbook so far but I'm still new to vegan cooking. Some of the recipes are a little too complex for my taste but there are quite a few really good easy to make recipes. I'm going to be in Palm Springs in March, can't wait to eat at the Native Foods restaurant.

PainterLady

Default Re: Native Foods

My husband and I LOVE Native Foods!!!!! We stop in Palm Springs (or the Palm Desert location) everytime we drive to Cali just so we can eat there! We usually buy one of almost everything and gorge ourselves! It is soooo yummy! I can't wait to get their cookbook. Their menu is really cool too! They have the most positive menu, they are not afraid to spread the word about veganism.

I absolutely LOVE Native Foods! I have one not to far away from where I live, and I have to admit I eat there at least once a week! Last time I had their California Burger which was SOO YUMMY! This is the place where you want to bring your meat eating friends, their menu is have many "classics" such as BLT and chinese chicken salads with a vegan twist.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Jjt

This is also one of my favorite cookbooks too. I really like the hungarian goulash. There's lots of good recipes in this book, but I don't advise using the recipe they have for cooking wheat gluten. i tried this recipe and I know I did it right but it went real bad.

If you only try one recipe in the cookbook, try the chai pumkin pie. If this isn't the best dessert you've ever had in your life, it will be close .Use ground cardamom instead of whole and defenitely buy some vanilla ice cream.

Actually, I think I'm going to post an "inspired" pumpkin pie recipe..

Native Foods Cafe is awesome, there is one near me in Orange County, CA. I credit Chef Tanya for inspiring me last month to go vegan! This month is my transition from from vegetarianism to a vegan diet. Their food is fantastic and everything on the menu is 100% vegan! The cupcakes are to-die-for! They are opening locations in Chicago, too, I hear.