Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do vegans have against quick, momentary killing of animals?

leedsveg

Default Re: What do vegans have against quick, momentary killing of animals?

Quote Cece View Post
    HUNTING ACCIDENTS

I probably shouldn't even think 'good' should I? Much less say it....
    That's true. It would not be showing the compassion that veganism has at its core.

Leedsveg

Personally, I consider humans to be on the same level as animals...so I respect the life of humans and non-human animals. I think hunting is a gross way of demonstrating who is on top of the food chain and who holds more power or whatever. As I was driving up on Sunday I saw so many little dead deer who had been hit by moving vehicles. Granted, I am assuming this occurred in the night hours so perhaps the deer could not be seen crossing the road, but it was a gruesome sight nonetheless. So cruel. People are actually allowed to obtain hunting permits during certain seasons to hunt deer so they don't "over-populate" and become a danger for moving traffic. Talking about deer...one of my aunts actually brought venison for Christmas and New Years. I am so glad my immediate family boycotted eating such meat.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Quote leedsveg View Post
    That's true. It would not be showing the compassion that veganism has at its core.

Leedsveg
    I don't know about that. Veganism isn't about compassion for animals, it's about seeking to end exploitation of animals. A hunter that shoots himself, or another hunter, or gets shots by his dog or the very non-human animal he tries to kill isn't exploitation I think. Whether you find it ironic, good, funny, stupid or a combination of those is just a personal matter. I rather have that veganism is rooted in morals and ethics instead of compassion and "oh you poor little thing"-mindsets because that is probably when welfarist ideas of reduction and "improving the quality of life" of non-human animals sneak in instead of aspiring an abolitionist approach.

leedsveg

Quote CoolCat View Post
    Veganism isn't about compassion for animals, it's about seeking to end exploitation of animals.
    Hi CoolCat

And for what reason would we want to end the exploitation of any animal (be it human-animal or non-human animal)? Compassion, I would say. I imagine that welfarists would say that they have compassion, just as I say, as an abolitionist, that I have compassion. Nothing more that I canreally add to that.

Good wishes

Leedsveg

Veganism is against cruelty to members of the animal kingdom - for any reason.

If we live in a culture where our kids are more or less trained - or even forced - to look at animals as food, and to see hunting as something 'natural' for humans... and 'human animals' are being hurt or killed as a result that culture - a culture they haven't chosen to be born into - that's IMHO plain cruel and tragical.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I don't think shooting yourself qualifies as cruelty. If a stray bullet kills a human that wasn't hunting that would be different of course, then that human would be as victim as any non-human animal getting shot. As for culture, most vegans I know grow up in the same culture as everyone else. You can only shift blame and responsibility that much. There are far more non-vegan people than there are ignorant people.

Leedsveg hmm.. Compassion: Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it.
    In my native language it would mean more something like "sorrow" and "pity"... for me veganism isn't emotional at all, that is what I wanted to get across. But yes compassion works in English.

Crusty Rat

Whilst I can't say I feel much for adults who kill for a laugh, I definitely wouldn't say "good" in response to that link, considering many of the victims in the links on the page are teenagers and children as young as five, some are simply people out enjoying the countryside and some are non-human animals both wild and domesticated.

unnamed

Quote amosharper View Post
    Hi,

I'm not a vegan. I'm not a vegetarian. I do, however, refuse to eat the meat of an animal that has been kept in unsatisfactory conditions, i.e. factory farmed.

I'd like to ask what, specifically, do you have against the killing - that is, quick, momentary killing - of animals?

Thanks,

Amos
    i'm not necessarily making an argument, just saying my view here. almost thought there was not a point answering this, but i'll answer it. i just think the lives of animals are just as important as a humans. and even while i say that i'm also thinking about all the times i've picked a flower because even though i like doing it i feel bad about it at the moment. i don't understand why..to you there is a difference between killing an animal quickly and killing a human quickly. i had read some of this page and i really agree with ex-admin saying, theres nothing to sugest animals are here to provide for us.its true. every life is here for its own life. they are not here to meet the needs of humans.

and to ex-admin, i am an aspiring vegan, definitly veggie with no eggs n fish or milk . at the moment i'm trying to learn more about vegan meals.

actually i became well i don't know what kind of eater i am because i only just made the decision not to eat anything with milk in too as well as egg which i decided before. and yesterday i ate some non vegan cake and i feel really bad about it.

but my point was i didn't choose to stop eating meat it just happend, i actually begain to fear meat ( its quite hard to talk about but now , here i have joined a forum that is as i say "not contaminated with it". i actually have to stand outside my flat for an hour because of the meat when it is being cooked (i live with my family )-because i can't stand someone eating an animal,it makes me feel both sick, upset and angry. i just went off it because well i knoww it must feel wrong to kill another thing. and i would be very uncomfortable knowing that a meal of someones, would be at the expense of an animal no matter how they were killed or had their own produce taken from them. like people on this page have said quick momentary killing doesn't make it right.and i think if you know this i can't understand why you would just ignore it..i certainly could not

by the way i'm sorry i'm bad at typing, i just wrote as i thought.

Quote amosharper View Post
    Hi,

I'm not a vegan. I'm not a vegetarian. I do, however, refuse to eat the meat of an animal that has been kept in unsatisfactory conditions, i.e. factory farmed.

I'd like to ask what, specifically, do you have against the killing - that is, quick, momentary killing - of animals?

Thanks,

Amos
    Simple: We have no right to use a creature without it's permission. We definitely have no right to kill an innocent creature. There is no point to it. We can live completely happy, healthy lives without eating flesh. To kill for our appetite is simply selfish.