Thread: vegan shopping in UK

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default vegan shopping in UK

hey i'm trying to find some vegan food online and i've looked at the veganstore but it's quite pricey and the food doesn't look very natural. Any ideas please?
    cheers
    stephanie
    x

"I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: vegan shopping

cheers!
    do you recommend any food imparticular? i'm trying to go vegan for the second time and don't know what to eat.

hi!
    do you not have a market near to where you live?
    i manage to get a huge amount of fruit and veg that'll last the week and supplement it with stuff that's in the cupboard. once you're all stocked up on basic things (pasta, rice,crackers,oats,veg stock cubes/powder, marmite,nut butters,tins or dried beans,tomatoes, pulses, lentils etc etc), then you're all set to go.
    there are loads of places on the joyous internet that can supply you with recipes..this amazing forum for one..have a good browse through the threads for the specific info you're looking for..
    you could find books in the library..good luck on finding any vegan recipe books..try vegetarian ones, or get your library to order books in for you..but you can always adapt recipes to suit..look for books on ebay for ideas..

ethnic food markets are great for buying things like spices and pulses in bulk..any small health food shops near to you? Supermarkets! Ahh..the foundations for fabulous vegan eating are everywhere!!

i recommend making smoothies..you can put all sorts of good stuff in them and they taste ace. Get yourself some flax oil for your omega 3,6 and 9. It does taste a bit minging tho..

oh sorry..i just realized you were looking for info on buying things online. I must read more carefully. But, hey, if you come across any online shopping places that sell nutritional yeast that doesn't cost a fiver a pop, then, um, please let me know?!?! :0)
    Last edited by emmapresley; Jan 11th, 2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: to add bits

Unfortunately a lot of vegan foods online won't be cheaper than buying in the shops. If they were I'd do all my shopping online
    Don't hate...educate!

Good sperm

Quote yum View Post
    cheers!
    do you recommend any food imparticular? i'm trying to go vegan for the second time and don't know what to eat.
    Just eat everything except meat, dairy and animal by-products. That leaves you with thousands of other foods to choose from
    If in doubt, if you can't grow it in the ground, don't eat it

cheers emmapresley!

I've bought lots of fruit and veg. I was just seeing what kind of foods there are online and i went on that goodnessdirect site and they have some interesting stuff.

've got the 'easy vegan cooking' book by leah someone or other which has easy things to make. i must get off my lazy bum and try some new recipes.

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Just eat everything except meat, dairy and animal by-products. That leaves you with thousands of other foods to choose from
    If in doubt, if you can't grow it in the ground, don't eat it
    cheers!

Good sperm

Just joking around. I can recommend 'La Dolce Vegan' by Sarah Kramer (her other books are good too, or so I've heard) and 'Vegan with a Vengeance'. 'Vegan Planet' is pretty good too.
    They're all US books so it might be worth ordering them off Amazon.

Buying veg, grains etc and making food from scratch is the cheapest way to eat too.

cheers absentmindedfan.
    going vegan again has become a little overwhealming. I know it is the right thing to do. Since my last attempt at being vegan i have continued not to eat eggs (on there own), drink only soya milk, eat soya yogurt i was trying to look online for some exciting new food eg. when i went in holland and barret a while back they had these new veggie pepperami (sp?). Not sure if it was vegan..i hope it was...cause it was a real treat.
    i think i'll search through the forums and look for inspiration for food. I once found a thread on favourite sandwhich fillings and that was a relief when i was vegan for first time... yum!
    xxxx

Default Re: vegan shopping in UK

Just check on the back of packets that things don't contain milk/eggs/honey etc. Holland and Barrett have a good range of vegan burgers, mince, sausages etc.
    Don't hate...educate!

Thank you Tikkin. I do love Holland and Barratt. I go in there and it is like a sancturary. So many foods that you CAN eat! I'm going to pop in there tomorrow and check out that pepperami and see if it was vegan because it was lush! I'm feeling rather enthusiastic about becoming vegan.
    thank you for all your advice.
    stephanie
    xxx

Fry's stuff on the goodness direct site is good, the only problem is that you have to order a fairly large amount at once to make it worthwile because of the shipping costs.

On the plus side they ship their frozen food with dry ice to keep everything frozen and dry ice is fun!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth