Thread: Cafe Nero warning

Default Cafe Nero warning

Hope it's ok to start a thread specifically for this as I couldn't find one just about Cafe Nero using the search engine.

Ok - I emailed Cafe Nero recently and they say that their hot chocolate powder contains milk, so even if you order one with soya milk it won't be vegan. Thus I assume it's the same for their mochas. They gave me a list of their vegan products although strangely it doesn't include any of their hot drinks. I'll paste the list here:

Organic Exotic Fruit Bar.
    Sea Salt & Black Pepper Crisps.
    Roasted Cashew Nuts.
    Green Olives with Herbs.
    Mediterranean Cous Cous Salad.
    Houmous & Red Pepper Wrap.
    Roasted Vegetable Sauce with Pasta.
    Fruit Salads.
    Mediterranean Vegetable Soup.
    Fruit Juices, Smoothies & Boosters (NB. NOT dairy smoothies).
    Don't hate...educate!

Default Re: Cafe Nero warning

Quote Tikkin View Post
    Houmous & Red Pepper Wrap.
    Roasted Vegetable Sauce with Pasta.
    Fruit Salads.
    Mediterranean Vegetable Soup.
    Thanks. That's really good to know

Oh wow- they actually do loads of things!
    &I didn't realise they did soya milk there, thats brill!

Large soya latte, double espresso!

I've never bothered to look at the food they sell.

Do they use a seperate steamer?

sprite1986

I went to Costa Coffee today (I think it was that one anyhow. I normally make a big effort to avoid such large chains..) and I couldn't see anything foodwise suitable for vegans.

sprite sometimes they have nothing in, they dont seem to be very well stocked up most of the time . I have had the wraps and they are ok, nothing exciting. I have also tried the cous cous and that is very tasty indeed.

I think Starbucks hummus wrap is OK for vegans. But I'm like you Sprite, I try to avoid these chains as much as possible. And I think Costa make really bad coffee! Although they do have soya milk, which is a point in their favour. I've never had the nerve to ask any bar here if they have it, can't imagine the reaction I'd get

Here in the UK Starbucks, Cafe Nero and Costa all normally have soya milk in stock and whenever they don't I make a point of complaining to the manager (they wouldn't allow themselves to run out of cow's milk would they?)

They don't use a separate steamer Sam but Starbucks definitely have separate jugs etc. They are meant to clean the nozzle but it is worth telling them you have an allegy and asking them to be extra thorough.

Starbucks have actually marked their vegan food for quite a while now - in the current range the Falafel and Houmous wrap is vegan.

I think using the 'allergy' excuse is good because it looks bad on them if they don't do it properly.
    Don't hate...educate!

Went to Nero this morning. No Houmous wrap, but three types of chicken wrap. Great

I'm scared and paranoid about eating out. I would love to but I really don't trust anyone with food Not all employees are perfect, some would be nice and genuinely help but I presume the majority couldn't care less. Also with all the cheese and meat lying there, I just couldn't do it Makes me sad it does, I must try and find somewhere nice, for the past few months, I've just been buying vegan snacks in the health food shop and can't let myself buy anything without it saying "vegan" on it

It does take a while to get used to; you're probably used to vegetarian labelling, but it does get easier when you get used to being able to read labels by yourself.
    There's always the internet; a lot of chains will put up a list of vegan options.
    &do try ringing in advance; italian and indian restaurants are the best places to start.

Do you have any local vegetarian/ vegan restaurants?

i'm just really fussy overall, like I have my own cutlery set, own plate and dishes and cups. It sucks. I don't want to have a phobia off eating out but its just hard, you know, I don't want to take any unnecessary risks kinda thing.

We did have one vegetarian place a few years ago (I stopped eating out around 4 years ago) Can't remember what their menu was like.

Latest Caffe Nero vegan list, valid from 16th August 2010:

Sea Salt Crisps
    Green Olives with Herbs
    Fruit Salad
    Red Pepper Penne Pasta

Fruit Juices
    Fruit Smoothies
    Fruit Boosters
    Cappucino or Latte with soya milk
    Hot Chocolate* or Mocha with soya milk

*I've seen the original post re milk powder in the hot chocolate and have no idea whether this is still the case.

Oh my god the falafel paninis in Starbucks are the best things I've ever tasted in an omni joint like that - usually I expect to be sat with a crappy pack of ready salted crisps.
    Yeah everywhere I go I say I have allergies to milk/egg so they're more cautious as if I had a reaction, swelled up or needed an adrenaline shot or something I could probably sue them =] Where as if you say vegan, a lot of people actually mess up your order on purpose because vegans annoy them > what I hate about this is that it means it seems like there are less vegans around - because we can't admit to it in fear of being snuck some kind of evil in our sandwich!

Agreed. Starbucks are getting quite good at this vegan lark. They have loads of snacks, such as hummus with carrots and celery too.

I don't go to Starbucks as my daughter asked me not to in protest of their links with Israel. I know recently they have denied that, but I don't believe them!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein