Thread: Quick breakfast thread!

Default Quick breakfast thread!

As alot of people, my weekday mornings consist of little more than a quick shower and quick breakfast before i'm out the door; even then, i tend to bring my breakfast with me to save time.
    I've found that i've gotten somewhat creative about putting together quick breakfasts that are both tasty and filling without neglecting nutrition.
    Do you guys have any quick "on the go" recipes that can be made in under ten minutes? Here's a great one i "invented" on friday morning:

you'll need:
    -two hash brown potato patties (this may be a US only thing, not sure... regardless, i adore them and always have them in my freezer)
    -three or four tablespoons of salsa
    -vegan cream cheese
    -vegan refried beans
    -one tortilla/wrap/etc
    -a handfull of Morning Star Farms vegan steak strips (these work best, but feel free to substitute any vegan texturized pretend-meat stuff you have around)

pour a teeny bit of cooking oil in a pan. once it's hot, cook both of the potato patties until brown on both sides. once brown, pour the salsa over them and use a spatula to chop the patties up and mix with the salsa (you'll get a nice flavorful potato hash; add salt or pepper or whatever you like at this point). Once the texture's nice, add the vegan steak strips and lower the heat a bit. While everything's getting hot, spread a little bit of the cream cheese on the tortilla, followed by a bit of refried beans. Now spoon the potato mixture into your tortilla and fold it up (i fold the sides in first, then roll from the bottom up to create a closed tube). Now put the folded wrap into your pan with the fold down; let it cook for a sec until the wrap is brown; do the same thing to the other side (this is actually optional; heating the wrap toasts it and makes it way easier to eat. if you're planning to use a plate and silverware, you can actually skip this step if you like).
    Presto! breakfast is served. Goes great with an apple and a glass of soymilk or oj. I actually poured soymilk into a water bottle and threw both in my bag...

Out the door time: 10 minutes

Default Re: Quick breakfast thread!

wow, that's fancy and delicious sounding! i usually grab toast with almond/peanut butter on my way out the door! good for you

when i do feel motivated, i usually throw a can of black beans, a can of hominy, and a container of tofu into a big skillet with a little tamari, add onion and garlic powder to taste. (if you have more time it is much better to use fresh, and you can add shredded carrot, zuchinni, brocolli, or other veggies for extra nutrition), and then throw a scoop of nutritional yeast in. i eat mine with toast, but you could always wrap it in a tortilla to eat on the go.

these both sound really extravagant for a rush job (well, maybe not the toast and nut butter..)

i find i have to force breakfast into myself on days I'm working, unless I get up extra early to allow that time..but I'd rather stay in bed for the extra 20 mins or so.

Blitzing a banana into a big glass of soya milk and mixing in some oatmeal or seeds or whatever is going to bump it up nutritionally works well..

karmadust..what is hominy?

hominy is used in a lot of mexican food (often if you can't find it with the beans or canned veggies in your grocery store, check the "international" food section). it is a type of corn that has been soaked until swolen and soft. it's hard to explain if you haven't had it before, but the texture resembles a somewhat mushier chickpea (garbanzo bean), and it doesn't have a strong flavor. i add it to a lot of recipes because i *love* the texture.

also (and i just found this out by reading a bit on the web) i guess hominy transforms B vitamins into a type more easily absorbed by the body, and also is high in calcium. i always kind of assumed it was a food devoid of nutritional value, because it is white and tasteless, but i guess it's good for you too!

My quick brekkie would be a big bowl of muesli with OJ on it. More fruit, grapefruit, banana, orange etc..a glass of soya milk...maybe a few nuts and dried fruit. Luckily for me I can eat when I like during the day and I would need to if my breakfast was a minimal one like this.. Sounds as though you need to stoke up in the morning and your breakfast proposal sounds wonderful!!

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Sounds as though you need to stoke up in the morning
    I do. I start my day off with a five mile sprint (bicycle) to work, and thirty minutes or so in the gym (i actually just moved my workday back one hour so i can utilize the gym-- which is actually in our office building-- for a solid hour and a half before work instead of after) so a substantial breakfast is pretty essential for me.
    I also have the option of eating at my desk as i work, which is great, but if i don't get a decent breakfast when i first get in, my morning feels "off".

I'm not very rushed in the morning, but I am lazy and this is what I've been making recently:

2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (watch out for the bad oils!)
    1 tablespoon strawberry jam
    1 banana

Smush up together in a small/medium bowl depending on the banana size. Tastes extremely good, can be made in about 5 minutes, and is about 310 calories. I usually drink 2 cups of fortified soymilk with this (180 calories) and VOILA! Protein, vitamins, taste, and an appropriate number of calories to start off the day.
    Last edited by Bic; Jan 15th, 2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Size typo.

When I am in a real hurry, I go for a peice of fruit and a slice of toast w/nutbutter and a glass of soymilk. When I have a *bit* more time, a sandwich is pretty quick. I like LightLife, Smart Bacon with tomatoes and spring mix, or slices of tofu with tomatoes and fresh basil. I use whole wheat bread that has lots of fiber and protein and no sugar.

Also good is a bowl of oatmeal - i use rolled oats and cook it in the microwave for 2 mins with a banana and water, then add soymilk, and a variety of other toppings, such as nutmeg or cinnamon, various nuts and dried fruits. Trader Joes makes this great Omega Nut Mix that has dried cranberries, walnuts, almonds, pepitas and some other seeds. Ground flax works well on oatmeal too.

Sometimes tofu scramble can by fast if you have a lot of the stuff chopped. I usually start with diced onion, sautee that and then add sliced mushrooms, sautee that, and then add tofu, cumin, minced garlic and tumeric. cook that down and then add brocolli florets, grated carrots, and red pepper strips. Serve with whole wheat toast and avacado slices and salsa, and roasted potatoes.

The great thing about tofu scramble is that it heats up well, so you can have leftovers in the mornings as a quick breakfast. Works well in a tortilla too, as a breakfast burrito.

Last week I ate a lot of fresh fruit with soymilk over it, and then I sprinkled on ground walnuts and ground flax. It was pretty quick and healthy too. I did sliced strawberries or bananas, but you could do whatever fruit you fancy.

lightlife rocks my pants off.

Cavendish hashbrowns! Those are made on my island.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote sp00ki View Post
    Here's a great one i "invented" on friday morning:

you'll need:
    -two hash brown potato patties (this may be a US only thing, not sure... regardless, i adore them and always have them in my freezer)
    -three or four tablespoons of salsa
    -vegan cream cheese
    -vegan refried beans
    -one tortilla/wrap/etc
    -a handfull of Morning Star Farms vegan steak strips (these work best, but feel free to substitute any vegan texturized pretend-meat stuff you have around)
    This is amazing!! I made it today for myself and my husband and we both loved them. I couldn't find cavendish hash brown patties (but will keep looking). Instead I used Alexia hash browns which are just shredded, not formed into patties. Thanks for the great idea, I will be making these frequently!

So stoked that you enjoyed it!
    The brand doesn't matter at all, though; i typically get that brand because it's what the grocery store i go to stocks, but other brands (and types, as your experience showed) work fine.

i actually pre-pack my breakfast the day before. this is what it usually contains:

-1 cup of strawberry soy yoghurt
    -some granola made from rye (it's soo good, and i'm trying to eat more fiber), to put on top of the yoghurt
    -a piece of fruit (a banana, an apple, a mango, a grapefruit or whatever i have..)
    -some tea (my school usually only have black tea, i only drink herbal and green tea..)
    -some fiber crackers
    -two ricecakes.
    -maybe some dried fruit to snack throughout the day.

this usually fits perfectly, and keeps me from going hungry.. i eat it at nine, and i have lunch at somewhere between noon and one o'clock.
    i think a decent breakfast should keep you full at least four hours.

I usually just zap up oatmeal and add lots of soy milk to make it liquidy and drink it when I am low on time. It keeps me full for about 3 to 4 hours. Nothing fancy.

I will buy a bunch of bananas and toss them in a blender with a little bit of juice (whatever I have on hand- apple, cranberry, etc). and make a puree that I keep in the blender in the fridge for a few days at a time. So when I'm in a rush, I grab a bowl, my banana puree and dump in mixed frozen berries and cereal (I love the hemp plus with flax seeds cereal, a great source of omega 3s and protein) and enjoy!

You can also add some soymilk to the banana puree for a little extra protein and calcium and to make your puree even creamier- it's very similar to the consisency of yogurt.

Cool Re: Quick breakfast thread!

I once took a bunch of vegan granola bars and crushed them up and then poured milk over them. Somewhat like cereal, but more customizable.

Also, just try having a baguette (French bread) and have a jar of margarine and jelly. Simple but amazing.

I normally make porridge (oatmeal) with some sweetened soya milk (so I don't need to add a sweetner) and cinnamon. I make it on the stove and it takes me literally 5 minutes. Then I just chuck two tablespoons of flax seed or hemp seed on top for some nutrients, and any berries I have lying around. Yum
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Every morning, I start with a green smoothie ... first I put some apples/pears/pineapple chunks (fresh, not canned) into our Vita-Mix and blend the hell out of it with some water. First serving goes to my wife, who does not appreciate bananas. Bananas are next into the blender, the result goes to my kids, and the last part of the container gets blended again with some leafy greens (e.g. spinach or salad) for me.

Add a banana or pear or two on the go for me, and I'm set. Sometimes when I crave something not-raw, I take some slices of whole-wheat bread with me.

Best regards,
    Andy

Green smoothies for me as well in the morning, nice and quick. When I make too much I freeze whatever I've left in ice cube trays, so I can add to another green smoothy another day. Green smoothies are great for my little girl as well (she's 3), she'll have anything when you put a straw in it

I usually make a big pan of oatmeal on sunday night so that i can eat it on the following days just by microwaving some up in a bowl with some apple or other fruit. I'm to lazy to make it every morning. If it starts to bore me, i make a big load of scrambled tofu and do the same (though i don't eat that with apple ).

I eat several small meals a day, so I start the morning with 3 shots espresso with Wildwood's organic, unsweetened, plain soy milk, and a bowl of Whole Soy plain yogurt - I usually slice some strawberries for it. Later in the morning, I make hot oatmeal (steel cut from Trader Joe's). As a new vegan (previously vegetarian for 10 years), I find myself eating soy products now around the clock, since I have less choices for protein. Is that bad?

RubyDuby

wheat gluten (seitan), chickpeas, lentils, black beans, pinto beans etcetcetc, quinoa, Ezekiel bread, nutritional yeast, broccoli, potatoes, corn, brown rice, etcetcetc... no need to worry about protein if you're getting a variety of foods.

Oatmeal, bagels, baked beans, nuts, nut butters, seeds, dark chocolate, leafy greens... and of course soy! all provide protein.

No need to eat soy around the clock.

try using a nutrition calculator site if you're worried.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I've just started making porridge with quinoa. It's so quick and easy! I cook it with water, and then just add soy milk afterwards. Delicious.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."