Thread: vegan online diet programs (for fee)

Yogini

Default vegan online diet programs (for fee)

Can anybody recommend an online diet program that is accepting of veganism? I've tried the free ones (fitday and spark) and they suck. Spark is downright hostile towards veganism. It dawned on me today that they probably suck because they're free and you often do get what you pay for. I'd rather not do Weight Watchers because I want to track actual nutrients, not just "points." Really, what I'm looking for is something that tracks nutrional content of what I eat where the food database contains things like soy yogurt, etc. instead of making me manually enter every little "weird" thing I put in my mouth. I want something that will track exercise with either a large database of exercises (no Pilates in fitday) or will just let me manually enter calories burned.

I checked eDiets and the first thing that was in the description of their vegetarian diet plan is how to cook fish. This is a great example of what I'm not looking for.

Default Re: vegan online diet programs (for fee)

why don't you just make one yourself? you could make a meal-plan, counting the calories, and making sure you what you need of nutrients everyday, and then an exercise plan, where you make sure you get at least 30 mins a day - like running, biking, doing yoga and so.

Hey, I looked up ediets because I wanted to email them to tell them fish wasn't vegetarian.

Here's what I found, when you click on the link to go the vegetarian part of the website it has listed under articles a link called '
    Hook Up With A Healthy Fish Dinner!' - Here's the article contents:

Hook Up With A Healthy Fish Dinner! Recently, I was the guest speaker for an online meeting on vegetarian diets. One of the things covered: including fish in a diet that's essentially meat-free.

Pescatarians is the official name for fish-eating vegetarians.

Fish is a great source of protein and some types contain decent amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, which may help lower your risk for heart disease. These acids also have anti-cancer properties. Unlike red meat, all fish are very low in saturated fat. Some white-meat fish (sole, haddock, cod and flounder) are also very low in calories and fat. A three-ounce portion of any of these white fish has only about 100 calories, 1-3 grams of fat and virtually no saturated fat! Fatty fish have more calories and fat... about 170 calories and 5-8 grams of fat per three-ounce portion. But at least this fat is the healthy kind!

(Excerpt from Hook Up With A Healthy Fish Dinner! article by Susan L. Burke, MS, RD/LD, CDE Director of Nutrition Services)
    If you go through with registering it says this at the end:

You selected the Vegetarian Plan
    Your meal plan will include a delicious array of high-fiber, plant-based, natural foods. We make it possible to modify this diet to suit a vegan (no animal products), lacto-vegetarian (includes dairy products), or lacto-ovo vegetarian (includes dairy and eggs) lifestyle: it's the ultimate in versatile vegetarian diets. Note: you may occasionally choose to change your meal and include a non-vegetarian meal.
    So although they promote fish they obviously do understand the definition of vegetarian and can offer you a vegan diet apparently.

So you know I'm still emailing them to tell them that 'Pescatarians is the official name for fish-eating vegetarians. ' is an oxymoron.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    'Pescatarians is the official name for fish-eating vegetarians' is an oxymoron.
    My thoughts exactly, Risker

Yogini

Quote Risker View Post

So although they promote fish they obviously do understand the definition of vegetarian and can offer you a vegan diet apparently.
    Thank you for being calm enough to carefully explore this page. When I went there, that fish thing was the first item I saw and I was so p*ssed I immediately left the site.

I might still consider eDiets.

Yogini

Quote Smoothie View Post
    why don't you just make one yourself? you could make a meal-plan, counting the calories, and making sure you what you need of nutrients everyday, and then an exercise plan, where you make sure you get at least 30 mins a day - like running, biking, doing yoga and so.
    I thought about doing that and may still do it. But preparing a spreadsheet and/or database that tracks all micronutrients and compares how much I consume of most vitamins and minerals to how much I should be consuming, and entering such information for all items I eat would be prohibitively time-consuming.

www.recipezaar.com allows you to track the nutritional content of the meals you make so long as you use recipes found (or entered by you) on the site. Of course, by this I mean it shows you the nutrient lables for recipes that would otherwise be hard to calculate (ie. ever tried figuring out how many calories are in a slice of vegan lasagna?).
    Not the best and certainly not all that you're looking for, but I think it would be easier to find sites that either track calories burned OR track nutrients taken in rather than both.

Quote Risker View Post
    So you know I'm still emailing them to tell them that 'Pescatarians is the official name for fish-eating vegetarians. ' is an oxymoron.
    I'd leave out the oxy

is ediets even free? whats the link?
    I was hoping veganism would let me shed some weight.. like all these peta things keep boasting..but it didn't really but I DO feel a LOT healthier

Yogini

You have to pay for eDiets, but I don't remember how much. I think it's www.ediets.com.

thanks yogini!! not cool that you have to pay. I shall boycott ediets for making people pay.. (i'm just not a spender)

Quote KisanGigja View Post
    is ediets even free? whats the link?
    I was hoping veganism would let me shed some weight.. like all these peta things keep boasting..but it didn't really but I DO feel a LOT healthier
    It depends a lot on what you're eating. For example, switching to instant ramen and rice for every meal won't make you loose any weight - but switching to tofu, veggies, and salad will.
    People tend to think that fruits and veggies are weight loss foods (they do help), but forget that bananas can have nearly 100 calories - or that 100g of grapes has 60-some. Gobbling down a bag of carrots can get you about 200 calories, I think, and fake meats, while healthier than the real thing - are still kinda heavy around your middle if they're you're main meals.

I have no idea what you eat - but I think you get the idea. If your current vegan diet isn't making you loose weight evaluate what you're eating and it may help a bit.

thanks Bic! I'm a compulsive nut,grape, and date eater...that MAY be it hehe

I am studying right now to be a personal trainer and dietician. I am also a vegan athlete. If I can help at all please pm me and I will help work with you on a diet that will help you get fit and feel great.
    Cruelty Free is the ONLY Way to Be!!!