Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Asda

CallThem

Default Asda

I was looking on the Asda website at the suitable for vegan's list and this was listed:

Salad Cream

• Asda SALAD CREAM 445G (SQUEEZY)
    Does anybody know if this is true? Or just a typo?

I'm going to e-mail them also.

Default Re: Asda

I don't see why not - a few salad creams are vegan but i would check the ingredients first just in case.

Monday x

Yes it is, I'm just about to eat some.

I'll list the ingredients shortly.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Oh, when I looked it seemed that al their salad cream had egg in! Maybe they didn't have the right one in our local shop.

Ok this is the reduced fat (70% less fat) 445g Squeezy bottle

Water, Malt Vinegar (from barley), Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Sunflower oil (5%), Mustard Powder, Salt, Stabilisers (Xantham Gum, Guar Gum), Emulsifier (polyoxyethylene sorbitan monostearate), Lemon juice from Concentrate, Spice Extracts (Salt, Cinnamon Oleoresin, Coriander Oleoresin, Dextrose, Sunflower oil) Sweetner (saccharin), Colour (Riboflavin).

Contains Barley and Mustard, may contain traces of nuts and/or seeds.
    Marked suitable for vegetarians.

The smaller glass bottle reduced fat one is also vegan (Or at least was when I bought mine)

CallThem

This is good to hear. I bought some today!

ASDA seem to have a load of new organic stuff that's very reasonably priced.

Organic Spicy Lentil and Bean Soup is lovely.
    I've bought their organic baked beans, but not tried them yet.

Both of those are lower in salt than any organic versions I've seen before, so well done to ASDA for that!

Packets of dry Quinoa and Buckwheat seemed very cheap, too.

In other news, the pancakes (for making mock duck pancakes) are now ASDA branded and say not suitable for freezing. I've frozen some to see whether they work or not. The old make that seemed identical were freezable which was handy so I could stock up on them.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

What the hell? I've just ordered online at asda for the first time in a long time and now realise that they've got rid of the link to their 'healthy living' page which has the 'free from' lists on it. I found a link to it from elsewhere though and loaded up only to find that the suitable for vegans list says on it 'This list should be next updated January 2007'. that was 5 months ago!!

I tried using it anyway and half the items on the list are no longer stocked. I can only assume that they've given up on it.

AND they've got a dodgy obsession with milk, with tv adverts and on their main website page too.

i think sainsburys does a vegan salad crea, too. i was amased when i saw it. it was one of things you just resign yourself to havin' to give up when you go from veggie to vegan

Water, Malt Vinegar (from barley), Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Sunflower oil (5%), Mustard Powder, Salt, Stabilisers (Xantham Gum, Guar Gum), Emulsifier (polyoxyethylene sorbitan monostearate), Lemon juice from Concentrate, Spice Extracts (Salt, Cinnamon Oleoresin, Coriander Oleoresin, Dextrose, Sunflower oil) Sweetner (saccharin), Colour (Riboflavin).

Contains Barley and Mustard, may contain traces of nuts and/or seeds.
    E435. Not usually vegan iirc. Never liked salad cream, personally, more of a Plamil 'white stuff' guy.

Just a quick heads up i was in ASDA yesterday and grabbed a bottle of tomato ketchup.wasn't til i got it home i read "improved recipe" which actually means they put LACTOSE in it (like tesco have in theirs).it seems so utterly pointless to me.

And also does anyone know about the veganess of ASDA's own brand soya milk.the non organic one used to say suitable for vegans but they've changed all the recipes and packaging and now it doesn't.so i'm kinda suspicious cos of all the vitamins and stuff.seems i'll have to write to them..or just not buy their soya milk *sigh*
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

The Asda unsweetened soya milk with nothing added is vegan but the unsweetened with calcium and vitamins isn't as it has D3 in it.

I stand in the store and ring on my mobile!

Monday xx

Default choc spread & seed butter

in my local the other day, in the 'free'from' section, i noticed a dairy-free chocolate spread and a sunflower seed butter.

Oh My God!!!!! I haven't had salad cream for yeeeeears, I just figured it all had stuff in we couldn't have. Oooooh yay, a trip to ASDA is on the cards!

I found a new vegan product in Asda yesterday. A pack of 2 Meat free chicken style fillets. They're in the vegetarian freezer section. Haven't tried them yet but will let you know shortly what I think.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

They have a half-price offer on at the moment on Original Source shaving gel. Only applies to the lime one though. I also picked up some of the chicken style fillets so I'll report back on those as well.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

they are very good, maisie and jiffy. enjoy!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    they are very good, maisie and jiffy. enjoy!
    Yes they are, and really filling too!

I found some yummy vegan goodies in the kosher section recently - Rakusens chocolate digestives, some chocolate wafers that I can't remember the proper name of, and best of all, some praline filled chocolate called Rosemarie which is only £1.20 for a block of 12 squares.

I've had the rakusen digestives (yum!) and Osem wafers (I think they're the ones you mean) from tesco's, but I've never had a rosemarie! Must keep my eyes peeled.

Oh crap I just realised one of Jo's mates is called rosemarie...

Osem Wafers, yeah thats the one. I noticed they have they have them in Tesco too as well as the digestives, but sadly not the Rosemarie chocolate.

i'll have a look for rosemarie when i'm next in asda

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    E435. Not usually vegan iirc. Never liked salad cream, personally, more of a Plamil 'white stuff' guy.
    I must agrree. I've bought vegan salad cream a few times, and just don't like it. But the plamil vegan mayo .... yummy!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I've had the rakusen digestives (yum!) and Osem wafers (I think they're the ones you mean) from tesco's, but I've never had a rosemarie! Must keep my eyes peeled.
    I prefer to make my own chocolate digestives by dipping plain digestives (I used those from the co-op) into melted chocolate. Then you can do a batch of chocolate gingernuts while you're at it.

i noticed today that my asda have started stocking the aconbury range of sprouts! mung beans, alfalfa, a mixed blend and red radish. let's hope people buy them so they'll continue to stock but i'm not holding my breath.

Yeah the one on Old Kent Road has had them in stock for a few months now.

BlackCats

I just ordered online from Asda for the first time and I wasn't overly impressed. I couldn't seem to find any of the items you peeps have mentioned above at my store for some reason and all the meat-free frozen food had egg in it. The organic fruit and veg seems cheaper though. I think I might go back to Sainsbury's after this.

Quote shez View Post
    i think sainsburys does a vegan salad crea, too. i was amased when i saw it. it was one of things you just resign yourself to havin' to give up when you go from veggie to vegan
    yes indeed sainsbury's be good to yourself

Question Re: Asda

Isn't Asda part of Walmart?

^ yes

I thought so. Shouldn't we be boycotting it then? I suppose I could say that about all the supermarkets though.

^ Well you can if you like, I only signed up for veganism so I'll shop where I please

IMO WallMart is one of the most evil supermarket chains in the world and is the biggest so if you can avoid them you should, Morrison's are also really, really bad (when they took over Safeway most staff had to re-apply for jobs, reduced pension, reduced wages no right to be in a union.....) and they have those ghastly uniforms. They are also the worst when it comes to what goes in their 'fresh food' the reason they make more freshly prepared stuff it to use the stuff up that's gone past it's sell by date much of which would otherwise go to various charity schemes or be sold at a reduced price to prevent it being left at the other big supermarkets. Also their in-store sliced bread isn't vegan due to what goes on the blades. Then there's Tesco, not great generally but staff can be union members, pay isn't appalling and there are some standards and they don't individually pack bananas on a polystyrene tray. Next up Sainsbury's, generally good quality and consistent, if there's a chance of things like shellac then they won't label it vegan, their staff are paid okish and staff benefits are quite good compared to the others. Finally of course Waitrose, the bastion of worker conditions, as it's part of the John Lewis partnership the staff own a piece of the company and get paid profits and decent wages, they also have very good working conditions too, all the produce I've encountered is of really great quality and some care seems to go into it. In my experience they haven't been more expensive than the others either, just a question of there being any that are anywhere near you, my nearest is about 10miles but I go past on the way to uni.
    I'd rather support the British chains than the American ones because I have the feeling they're big enough already and I'd like the profits to stay here too. Also if you want to be ethical better to buy local and use the smallest stores you can and then for everything else go to the most ethical supermarkets you can. I admit I do go to Asda sometimes for Irish products that I can't find anywhere else.

Most of the country is also covered by Waitrose/ Ocado delivery service. Unfortunately the downside to their delivery service is that they use bags and they use them for each category too due to the way their warehouse works

I'm liking your reviews
    I am trying to be as ethical as possible, it is hard when I live with my Mom and she gets the shopping (I do inform her of what is most ethical, etc). I would do the shopping myself but she likes to do it haha.
    I do go to smaller shops for my own stuff though.
    The nearest Waitrose to me is about 6 miles away methinks.

Waitrose is expensive for some things, not for others. I shop there every couple of weeks and always spend way more than at other supermarkets, but it's worth it once in a while for things like fudge. There's one a 5min detour from my daily commute.

I've been to Asda less than 10 times in my life (2 of which have been in the past few weeks). It's certainly cheap, but I'm not going to start shopping there.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I really dont like the thought of shopping at asda and try and support the smaller retailers in the town where I live. But there is a relatively new Asda near where I work, it is huge and stocks lots of the stuff I buy regularly, at a fraction of the price. I have gone against my own principles and shopped there a few times recently. its difficult to resist on counts of convenience and price.

I suppose on balance I still spend more of my money with the local retailers, so I guess its not too bad
    I dont get crunchy people?

my staples are usually cheaper on a like for like basis at waitrose than the others but i get a hell of a lot from the greengrocer downstairs really cheaply and from some of the other local shops and co-op. that said i usually get my soya milk and pure spread from sainsbury's because there is no way i'm paying for alpro (£1.59!) and nowhere localbstocks pure

philthy builder

I have tried to avoid shopping in asda and other supermarkets but found it difficult and expensive to use small local shops.

My local asda & tesco are open 24 hrs and stock loads of vegan goods. There is a really good fairtrade ethical vegan store in town but they only open fom 10 till 5 and are more costly than the super markets.

I now live alone and find it difficult to shop ethically so it must be tough for families on a strict budget. My brother finds it cheaper to drive 10 miles to asda for a weekly shop for his 6 kids than to shop at local stores. I used to save £10 per week by shopping at asda instead of tesco when i was with the wife & 3 kids.

I'm really annoyed with Asda right now. They've got rid of the chicken style fillets from the frozen aisle and replaced them with some similar ones from Grassington. The Grassington ones are 50p dearer and they're smaller and not as nice

The asda grassington ones are 100% identical to the tesco brand ones.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Unhappy Re: Asda

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Waitrose is expensive for some things, not for others. I shop there every couple of weeks and always spend way more than at other supermarkets, but it's worth it once in a while for things like fudge. There's one a 5min detour from my daily commute.

I've been to Asda less than 10 times in my life (2 of which have been in the past few weeks). It's certainly cheap, but I'm not going to start shopping there.
    I've been in one branch of ASDA once.... scarred for life
    No guru, no method, no teacher

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    I've been in one branch of ASDA once.... scarred for life
    indeed it is a bit of a hostile environment

I went to ASDA at 2am out of boredom and they didn't really sell anything I wanted to buy apart from London Pride, of which I had plenty, so I left.
    What a funny place.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote veganbikerboy View Post
    I really dont like the thought of shopping at asda and try and support the smaller retailers in the town where I live. But there is a relatively new Asda near where I work, it is huge and stocks lots of the stuff I buy regularly, at a fraction of the price. I have gone against my own principles and shopped there a few times recently. its difficult to resist on counts of convenience and price.

I suppose on balance I still spend more of my money with the local retailers, so I guess its not too bad
    There's push & there's pull factors I guess, but I'm glad you still choose to spend a good proportion with local retailers. At least supermarkets aren't your default setting. The supermarkets don't have a view on my needs as a vegan & things will come and go according to how they sell. This is very much evidenced by the numbers on here complaining because ASDA or whoever have stopped doing X,Y or Z. I find smaller retailers very flexible when it comes to ordering stuff they don't have & will even sometimes point out things I'm not aware of yet. I'm also very aware of supporting the set ups that actively support our community and have done for years.

Quote philthy builder View Post
    I have tried to avoid shopping in asda and other supermarkets but found it difficult and expensive to use small local shops.

My local asda & tesco are open 24 hrs and stock loads of vegan goods. There is a really good fairtrade ethical vegan store in town but they only open fom 10 till 5 and are more costly than the super markets.

I now live alone and find it difficult to shop ethically so it must be tough for families on a strict budget. My brother finds it cheaper to drive 10 miles to asda for a weekly shop for his 6 kids than to shop at local stores. I used to save £10 per week by shopping at asda instead of tesco when i was with the wife & 3 kids.
    If you know other veg*ns or wholefooders, it's worth contacting one of the big wholesalers (SUMA*, LEMBAS*, INFINITY* or GOODNESS**) to see if you can bulk buy. If you're doing this for a few people you could share some of the discount among yourselves but you could hold back a slightly greater amount as payment for the work of getting it together. This way you'd get cheaper food and avoid the ethical dilemma of shopping in those places.

*These are eco-friendly veggie co-ops
    ** Goodness uses its profits to support an evangelical christian community in Northampton.
    I just mention this as it might influence choices.

Quote bradders View Post
    my staples are usually cheaper on a like for like basis at waitrose than the others but i get a hell of a lot from the greengrocer downstairs really cheaply and from some of the other local shops and co-op. that said i usually get my soya milk and pure spread from sainsbury's because there is no way i'm paying for alpro (£1.59!) and nowhere localbstocks pure
    If you get the long life stuff, why not ask your local wholefood shop to get you a case and get a case price discount of 10%.

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    If you get the long life stuff, why not ask your local wholefood shop to get you a case and get a case price discount of 10%.
    because that still costs FAR more than supermarket and my nearest Whole Foods is about 20+ miles away in Kensington or about an hour and a half on the underground and then there's storing the stuff.

I didn't mean the 'Whole Foods' store (US chain) I meant any local wholefood shop! Blimey, shopping in Kensington is going to push the bills up!!!! Tell me where you are and I'll research your local possibilities & get back to you. (send me a PM if you like)

The alpro stuff might still be dearer than the supermarket, but think of how much better you'll feel not shopping in a butchers.

Forgot to mention, box veg delivery schemes often include veg*n extras and are delivered to your door.
    Last edited by jonnie falafel; Nov 17th, 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote bradders View Post
    I'd rather support the British chains than the American ones because I have the feeling they're big enough already and I'dlike the profits to stay here too. Also if you want to be ethical better to buy local and use the smallest stores you can and then for everything else go to the most ethical supermarkets you can. I admit I do go to Asda sometimes for Irish products that I can't find anywhere else.
    Check out the last edition of Ethical Consumer & New Internationalist.... The national origin of the supermarket hardly matters.... TESCO avoid paying huge amounts of tax & have screwed loads of producers out of existence... just like WALMART.