Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Asda

leedsveg

Default Re: Asda

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I honestly think that Asda is competing for the Dipstick supermarket of the year award.Rant over
    You might be right Firestorm but there's an awful lot of competition for that award out there!

lv

Not real name!

Quote leedsveg View Post
    You might be right Firestorm but there's an awful lot of competition for that award out there!

lv
    Tesco could run them a close race. AFAIK they don't label anything as vegan. Same with Morrisons. Marks and Spencer get my really annoyed too. Although they label some stuff they also insist on adding milk to just about everything that doesn't need it.

Sainsburys FTW?

Yeah you're both right most supermarkets are useless (at least sainsburys/co-op/M&S make an effort, but I dont have any close to me), I am starting to consider opening my own shop.

Someone did tell me the Cramlington ASDA has a veggie vegan friendly area. Not sure if its true as the other stores don't & cramlington is the last place I would expect one.

Ive also been told they have been putting insect caramine into kids sweets again & labeling them veggie

Not real name!

Anyone know if those 'just add water' mixes are vegan? I was looking at the chargrilled burger variant and the ingredients list didn't appear to contain owt bad.

I think they are - there is some stuff further up the post on them, but I think they are rebranded granose prodcuts http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post681651

I think the add water bolognase/chilli are vegan as well.

She said that the lemon juice actually contained shellac this being the reason it is not on their vegan list ( I agree she was probably talking shit but maybe the lemon juice has lemon peel in? ).
    I find it weird that Sainsburys choose this Houmous to only label as vegetarian (when they label most of them as vegan) when there are no animal products mentioned on the pack, there is no mention of cross contamination on the website but there is lemon peel in the ingredients?
    Co-op are excellent at labelling... their own 100% not from concentrate orange juice clearly says "This product is NOT suitable for vegans because some of the fruit may have been coated in shellac."

So it's probably that lemons too have been coated with it as it preserves them and makes them shiny.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Quote jj View Post
    Someone did tell me the Cramlington ASDA has a veggie vegan friendly area....
    Where veggies and vegans can play safely together....
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Blueberry View Post

So it's probably that lemons too have been coated with it as it preserves them and makes them shiny.
    That was the assumption that I came to, so now I'm starting to look for lemon peel on ingredient lists along with the other myriad animal products.

Asda are selling Solesse mayonnaise which is labelled suitable for vegans! It is to die for.............honestly, it's the best vegan mayonnaise I've ever tasted. I have been making coleslaw and potato salad all weekend with it.
    I bought 4 of them last week and they are all finished, so I went to Ballyclare Asda today and bought another 4.........when I tell you that Ballyclare is miles and miles away from where I live you will appreciate just how much I LOVE Solesse mayonnaise.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    Asda are selling Solesse mayonnaise which is labelled suitable for vegans! It is to die for.............honestly, it's the best vegan mayonnaise I've ever tasted. I have been making coleslaw and potato salad all weekend with it.
    I bought 4 of them last week and they are all finished, so I went to Ballyclare Asda today and bought another 4.........when I tell you that Ballyclare is miles and miles away from where I live you will appreciate just how much I LOVE Solesse mayonnaise.
    Just looked it up online - great price too! Judging from the ingredients it looks real easy to make at home - might give it a go!

Good idea Hiddenfromview...............let me know if you do make it yourself and if it's nice!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

littlemiss

Does anyone get pizza from the pizza counter in asda? I always shop very early so its not open when I go but someone at work told me the bases are vegan (he has a dairy allergy) so if you create your own...... but I can't find anything on it. I make my own but it would be a nice treat at the end of a long day.

Quote sandra View Post
    Thanks for the info Sandra. My nearest ASDA is Coleraine so I will check out if they have it there next time I pass it. (it is about 30 mins away..)

Steve lol

Quote littlemiss View Post
    Does anyone get pizza from the pizza counter in asda? I always shop very early so its not open when I go but someone at work told me the bases are vegan (he has a dairy allergy) so if you create your own...... but I can't find anything on it. I make my own but it would be a nice treat at the end of a long day.
    They've started doing twin pack bases that aren't as cardboardy as the vacuum packed ones. They are with the flat breads in the bread section. Ingredients are all ok.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

littlemiss

Quote Pob View Post
    They've started doing twin pack bases that aren't as cardboardy as the vacuum packed ones. They are with the flat breads in the bread section. Ingredients are all ok.
    Thanks but I meant the pizza's that you pick the ingrediants and they make it up for you. I make pizza from scratch normally. I work crazy hours in a hosptital and thought it would be nice for hubby when I'm not around at dinner and better than domino's, which have dairy in the base. I'l try and ask if I get in there during a sociable hour.

My local Co-op has stopped stockings loads of cleaning products lately so I was checking out other stores in the vain hope they might have something vegan. Found that Asda have their own brand eco-friendly fabric conditioner that is labelled on the front as 'suitable for vegans'. Its a completely different packaging to the one they had a while back that actually had the vegan society logo but it seems vegan friendly. There are other products in this eco range that say they are plant based but none of the rest of them say 'suitable for vegans' so I don't know if they are okay.

Not real name!

My local Asda (Wakefield) are selling the chicken style chunks at £1.00 per pack. That's a saving of £1.14 each. I grabbed five packs as there's no room in the freezer for any more.

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    My local Asda (Wakefield) are selling the chicken style chunks at £1.00 per pack. That's a saving of £1.14 each. I grabbed five packs as there's no room in the freezer for any more.
    Mine has just started selling these again, I already had 2 and 6/7ths of a pack left but I picked up 2 more while I was there today - Thanks Glen!

I also noticed that Asda are now doing the Jusrol pan au chocolate(fridge not freezer) and Delamere dairy soya milk (not labelled as vegan but it does state that it uses Vitamin D2 not the dreaded D3)!

Asda have started selling Goodlife Wild Mushroom & Vegetable Kievs. They're actually quite nice!

Asda have started selling Goodlife Wild Mushroom & Vegetable Kievs. They're actually quite nice!
    Thanks Firestorm, I've a packet in the car (didn't get round to unpacking last night) and thought they looked reasonable

Asda have a few new Vegetarian products, a few even seem Vegan- Nut & date roast with gravy, Lemon & Herb Piri Piri Quarter Pounders, Moroccan Spiced Vegetable Quarter Pounders & chilli mint vegetable loaves

We bought one of each of those last night.
    The Lemon piri-piri burgers are quite tasty. Decent alternative to a nut cutlet burger.
    Moroccan spiced ones are OK, but not my favourite.

Our Asda had some frozen meal type stuff too - dunno if any was vegan as didn't appeal to me.

I enjoy the Asda bean burgers, fairly economic at four for £1 as well

Holy crap, I thought I'd never eat salad cream again. I love you for starting this thread. Vegan Summer BBQs here I come!

'Free from' Chocolate Orange bar - mmm

Has anyone got an asda vegan list they can upload?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Not real name!

Quote Kat_90 View Post
    'Free from' Chocolate Orange bar - mmm
    They really are nice, aren't they?

A few months back my local store reduced them to 20p each. Honestly, I was very nearly sick!

Just got this email from Asda.

Hi, many thanks for being a part of our vegetarian feedback panel and for giving us your feedback on Asda’s Produce range – it’s great to see so many of you think we’re doing a good job. However you’ve also given us some (vegetarian!) food for thought and some ideas we’ll now consider putting into our shops.

What was clear from all the responses we received is that as well as great quality and value, you’re also looking for inspiration and excitement in the range. So whilst we mull over your suggestions you’ll be pleased to hear there’s some new products hitting shops next week including some delicious spicy veg pots!

You’ve told us that you are happy to be contacted again in future for more feedback so we will let you know when we have more questions for you!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Well done Risker, its always great to hear about new products.

Just been to Asda, it looks like they have now added egg to their reduced fat salad cream

Oh no, it was the last mainstream supermarket one left that was OK. Mega curses.

Yeah I noticed that in asda other week with salad crime nearly screamed in the shop

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I noticed that in asda other week with salad crime nearly screamed in the shop

my asda has pretty much done away with its free from section. there is milk near the uht crap and a big gluten free bit but i cant even find vegan mayo anymore!

Im disappointed with all the big retailers (especially Tesco's and Sainsbury's) and there lack of stock of products for Vegans. It seems each week their sections seem to shrink! Tesco's on Birmingham New Street used to allocated an entire section to Vegan and Gluten Free products but now have barely have 3/4 shelfs for it. I now stick to Holland and Barrett and local stores in or the shopping via the internet!

I agree that Tesco have reduced the amount of non-refrigerated Vegan products, but they have massively increased the amount of chilled products http://realfood.tesco.com/our-food/n...iry-range.html

Yes, I can highly recommend Tesco's new chilled range! I don't normally shop at Tesco but did an online order this month after hearing about the new products. The Mango yogurt is very nice!

I just received my online Asda shop today. The soya milk now has Vitamin D3 in it???? I'm sure it was vegan before...
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I agree that Tesco have reduced the amount of non-refrigerated Vegan products, but they have massively increased the amount of chilled products http://realfood.tesco.com/our-food/n...iry-range.html
    Does anyone know if this range will be going into all stores, or just few big ones?
    unexpected item in bagging area..

Quote pusskins View Post
    I just received my online Asda shop today. The soya milk now has Vitamin D3 in it???? I'm sure it was vegan before...
    Yeah I saw that! How disappointing

I buy Delamere Soya when I go to Asda. It tastes far better than Asda's as well

Quote pusskins View Post
    Noooo!! It was vegan before AFAIK, it had unspecified vit D and I asked their CS about it and they said it was OK. That's the cheapy one (used to be cheapy anyway - not now) With the green writing on a white background?

I had a post on my FaceBook today saying that the new packs have fish oil in them and that they are refunding people who have bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a post on my FaceBook today saying that the new packs have fish oil in them and that they are refunding people who have bought it.

Yes, I had sent an email in June about the blue packaged soya milk (one up from the green and white one), asking them to confirm that it is suitable for vegans. I received an undeniable YES in the email that it was suitable for vegans. But now it has new packaging, and it has D3 in. I have just emailed Asda politely about my unhappiness. I can't afford to fork out for major brands of soya milk or milk alternatives...

Firestorm, I can't find that soya milk online at Asda?
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote Gattona View Post
    That is such an awful marketing idea, put fish oil in something that appeals largely to the vegan and vegetarian market :/ . The fact that they're giving refunds shows that they know people will be annoyed and not want to buy it!
    Houmous atá ann!

Thanks for the info about the soya milk saga. I've been refunded.

EH? Soy milk with fish oil in it?
    Are they taking the piss?

You may as well put lard in halal friendly handwash.....

Asda have confirmed that their frozen Root Vegetable Stew with Dumplings is vegan! Its delicious by the way

great stuff, will pick up the veggie stew tomorrow. Am I right in thinking it had honey in it when it first came out and now they have altered the recipe? Can't remember why I had given it the 'mental blacklist' haha

I always avoided it because of the red wine & flavourings, but Asda have confirmed its OK