Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Asda

Default Re: Asda

The Tesco mince is vegan but i am not a big fan of it to be honest. I dont want to shop at Tesco either.

Well, I went to Ballyclare (long drive) to get 15 bags of the stuff but they only had 4 left!

I have to shop at Tesco as it's very near to me, any other large supermarket is miles away and takes hours getting there and back!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I tried Asda for pretty much for the first time last week; and I was actually really impressed. A huge butternut squash for 1 pound, and their houmous is the best I've ever tasted (from a supermarket). I love the iced ring that the bakery makes, and occasionally they have jam filled iced buns. I don't entirely like the company, but the quality of their food is good, and organic fruit and veg is reasonable.

Boo to Asda. They've stopped selling the Organica vegan chocolate as well now near me. Don't know about other Asdas around the country, but my nearest is utter sh1te. Awful selection of sterile fruit & veg, the shop seems to exist mostly to sell alcohol, fizzy drinks, crisps, pizzas & burgers, with seasonal tat in several aisles. Hate the place, how I wish it would get taken over by Coop or even Sainsburys!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I had one of these from Asda the other day:

YUM!
    OMG what is that called, what make is it?? i'll have to look out for this

It's just in the bakery section... it's called a victoria ring.

It will make your teeth fall out and your bank statement red.

It is worth it
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

^ wow it certainly LOOKs worth it....how can u be sure that it's vegan if you don't mind my asking?

Quote Daffodil View Post
    ^ wow it certainly LOOKs worth it....how can u be sure that it's vegan if you don't mind my asking?
    It's on the Asda vegan list I can't remember if they e-mail it or if it's online, but I have a copy. Should get it updated really....
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

OMG i had one of them victoria rings the other day was so excited when i found it it was fantastic and i think it was only something like 98p

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    It's on the Asda vegan list I can't remember if they e-mail it or if it's online, but I have a copy. Should get it updated really....

Just found it online...thanks for that information, I didn't know there was such a list.

http://your.asda.com/assets/2009/9/9/vegan-products.pdf

I like the Asda vegan mixes. I agree with Pob in that the burgerss are nicer! I chill the mix in the fridge before I fry them and it stays together well.

The lincolnshire style sausages are nicer than the standard pork ones. Yummy!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

i didnt even know there was a vegan list thanks for posting the link and what a list pity they dont make it easier for us and actually label them vegan

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    what a list pity they dont make it easier for us and actually label them vegan
    exactly what I thought

Yes, thanks for the list as well

I see it lists 'Meat Free 2 Chicken Style Fillets 230g' in the frozen section - does anyone know if this is a mistake or are they back to being egg free?

i went the other day to look at them fillets but the ones in my asda still have egg in them hopefully next time i go they will phaze them out

Well done for finding the list.... I couldn't find my bookmarks..... but I did find this

http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/sh...eganlists.html

Tada! Links to most of the supermarkets vegan lists. Who would have thought M&S would have one?

Who would have thought M&S would have one?
    they've had one for a while, but it was notoriously full of mistakes... there was a discussion about it somewhere on here a while back. having had a quick skim of the link it looks like they've done a better job with this one on the whole (they have sneaked in a 'Meat Duo 683562' on page 4. )

there are lots of interesting things on there, for example a vegan summer fruit pudding i'd never have thought to look at.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Well done for finding the list.... I couldn't find my bookmarks..... but I did find this

http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/sh...eganlists.html

Tada! Links to most of the supermarkets vegan lists. Who would have thought M&S would have one?

excellent link, thank you very much for posting

Quote Pob View Post
    Found a new own-brand range of dry mixes in Asda. 2 types of sausage, a chargrilled burger mix, a nut roast mix, a chicken style roast mix.
    All 78p. They're in brown sachets.

We bought one of each.

So far we have had the burger mix, which was really good. Supposed to make 8 burgers, but I made 4 quarter pounder sized burgers out of it. It seemed unlikely it would hold together, so I baked them rather than fried or grilled as recommended on the packet. They actually firmed up really well.

They have a chargrilled flavour and tasted really great in a bun with all the trimmings.

we recently tried the sausage and burger mix and they are both delicious! we're having the burgers tonight actually!

pob, i've found if you make them in advance and put them in the fridge for maybe, an hour, they solid up a bit more - and try not to move them around too much in the pan too!

That would require either forward planning, or a delay in stuffing burgers down my throat. Neither of these are likely to happen!

I have tried frying them and they work fine without refrigeration. I find it easier and less messy to bake them, anyway, so that's the way I go.

To the sausages we usually add onions and/or spring onions, shape into fat burger shapes and bake them, too.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Daffodil View Post
    Just found it online...thanks for that information, I didn't know there was such a list.

http://your.asda.com/assets/2009/9/9/vegan-products.pdf
    The victoria ring doesn't appear to be on the list.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    The victoria ring doesn't appear to be on the list.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr

It used to be, I'm sure

I'm going to have a bit of a cry now... feel free to drag me out of my pool of tears when it gets too deep.

^ Actually since I posted that I checked the ingredients listed on the website and they do look ok (I ordered one)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

omg thank goodness i just had some god its so good only thing i hate is packet it is in keep opening last time i had one it was bit hard

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ Actually since I posted that I checked the ingredients listed on the website and they do look ok (I ordered one)
    I love you.... you saved me from death by tear drownage

We have been partaking of the iced ring today!

It's not quite up there with the enormous Chelsea buns I used to stuff my face with when I lived in Scarborough, but it's still good.

Does anyone know if the Asda in-store bakery apple tarts or rhubarb tarts are vegan?
    We were in there today and my husband asked to see the ingredients list, they are suitable for vegetarians but I didn't get a good look at the list so thought I'd check when I came home. I can't find out from Asda's own vegan list of products as it says something about 'seasonal' items in the bakery.
    I didn't see milk or eggs in the ingredients but there was vegetable margarine so that might have something in it?

kieran

I'm also wondering about the asda bakery items. Their baguettes, breads etc. Where they are shelved there is a sign saying something like "may contain nuts, seeds and other allergens." Anyone know?

I just trawled around the massive Asda armed with that list, and what do you know, all the things I'd excitedly planned to get, not to be found in the shop. How I hate Asda!!

That said I have introduced myself to some new sweeties! Fizzy cola flavour wands just might be my downfall

i wrote a list from the list and went and i found nearly everything i had other than a few things i couldnt find garlic bread or the vegetarian chow mein thing i did find one but it had milk in it, but i have to admit i was quite impressed when i look at more stuff properly but it is a pain having to read every label wish they would just label them vegan

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    i wrote a list from the list and went and i found nearly everything i had other than a few things i couldnt find garlic bread or the vegetarian chow mein thing i did find one but it had milk in it, but i have to admit i was quite impressed when i look at more stuff properly but it is a pain having to read every label wish they would just label them vegan
    Was that the chilled and/or frozen stonebaked garlic bread? No, I couldn't find any either. Wonder if it's discontinued.

Also could not find that blasted victoria ring that looks so good!

oohhh i have i nearly screamed with excitement when i found them i didnt put my hopes up as i wasnt expecting to find the victoria ring, lets just say its nice to have it as an option but i have had it twice and the packaging its in makes it a bit hard
    i looked in fridge for garlic bread but couldnt find one and i looked in freezer
    i still cant find the asda fillets they have them but they still have egg white in them hoping they change them soon i used to love them b4 i went vegan

I bought eco friendly Asda owned laundry products- and they had the Vegan Society logo on them! Brilliant!

^^ Thanks for that Troutina, didn't realise that - now I have a back-up plan if I can't get to co-op

^^ i didnt know that asda did them either thats good news

The Lurker

Quote Troutina View Post
    I bought eco friendly Asda owned laundry products- and they had the Vegan Society logo on them! Brilliant!
    That's good, I used to buy Ecover products until I found out they were tested on animals.

Oh my, just did some laundry and it smells amazing!!!
    This is too good to be true!

Quote The Lurker View Post
    That's good, I used to buy Ecover products until I found out they were tested on animals.
    Really? i didn't know that. did stop using them when I discovered they used milk in their washing up liquid. Bizzare thing to be putting in really.

'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

today i noticed my local asda have stopped selling redwoods products and fishless fingers from the chilled cabinet - it was just a matter of time i guess - still, when you see they're not there any more, it's disappointing.

they stopped selling them here a while back now
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

the meat free cutlets are they the asda own brand with 2 in a box which are supposed to be changing ? i have been about 4 times checking and they still have the egg in them i used to really like them cant wait for them if it is them

ASDA is the worst shopping experience of my life.The store greeter, who is normally Asda's token old person, couldn't look more degraded as they stand there with a huge yellow badge welcoming shoppers. The is never any hand baskets (a deliberate ploy by Wal-mart to ensure you get a trolley and buy more perhaps?) Then they are playing that annoying jingle as you walk around the shop, the one with all the arse slapping. This is normally drowned out by the screams of unattended children left stranded in a trolley by mothers to Busy with the 3for2's and the Bogof's. Then the is the shop staff, after all the intelligent and good looking ones where employed by Tesco and Sainsbury, Asda employee the next best (leaving the dregs to work in Morrisons), this normally means the local Chavs swap their hoodies for an luminous green uniform and the street corner for the aisles, very little changes besides their attire and location they still stand around swearing and intimidating old ladies and not really doing anything of much consequence. Then the is the checkout's, you can pick between the fat cashier who has been shoe horned into their till or the girl who wont shut up talking to the girl on the checkout behind her and insists telling you how mad she is. Once she has thrown your shopping at you and snatched your money you leave as the greeter says "see you again soon" and you think "not if I can help it" Finally to add insult to injury your normally stuck for half an hour trying to get out the car park.

If the isn't reason enough to avoid shopping in Asda, on a serious note its a global retail giant who thinks more about its profits than it does about its employees, suppliers or you. Shop local support your local businesses or we may not have any choice before long and have to put up with all of the above.

Finally ate the packet of Asda falafel mix that I bought ages ago. Following their instructions it was quite wet and sloppy, so not that easy to roll into balls.
    I basically spooned it onto a plate with flour on then rolled it around in that.

Deep fried them, and they came out really nice. Very moist inside and crispy on the outside. Much much tastier than the Cauldron ones, but much less chickpea in them, so not as nutritious.

Quote johnb View Post
    The store greeter,..........
    You have a 'store greeter?'

We have one, too. Pointless job of the year award.

Make more sense to employ someone to enforce the disabled/parent and child spaces.

Quote Troutina View Post
    do they do a fabric softener too? the vegan store p&p is killing us!

Quote johnb View Post
    ASDA is the worst shopping experience of my life........
    johnb you have the same view of asda as me then, hell hole!

Quote Hel View Post
    do they do a fabric softener too? the vegan store p&p is killing us!
    Asda do have a vegan fabric softener. Co-op do one, too. Both may or may not be stocked in your local shops. Depends on phase of moon or something.

oh Pob i used to love you back in the day lol

my local co-op dont do it so i shall check the larger ones!