Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Asda

Default Re: Asda

Ha ha. That fazed me for a moment. I thought you must have been some long forgotten friend. Then I realised you meant the other Pob.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

The asda vegan washing liquid and softener, gives Mr. F and I really bad eczema!! Beware, otherwise I think it's really good they are doing it! I just wish they started stocking redwoods stuff again! The ones over our way don't sell it anymore!

Quote Pob View Post
    Ha ha. That fazed me for a moment. I thought you must have been some long forgotten friend. Then I realised you meant the other Pob.
    you mean you arent the real one?

on the note of vegan laundry products/washing up/cleaning products...I get GreenForce stuff from Wolkinsons. Carries the Vegan Society Logo. I'd say all smells citrussy...washing-up liquid a bit gingery maybe...I use the laundry liquid for my towels and sheets but not for my clothes as I don't like the scent (very slight) on my clothes ...all products are very cheap...going to check out ASDA's laundry liquid as I don't have a Coop near me anywhere

anyone had any luck with the meat free fillets the ones in my local asda still have egg in them

we went on a 4 hour major-mud walk today via sandal castle that ended up at asda, where i bought some vanilla extract for pancakes i probably will forget to make.
    when we got there it was decided to go in the cafe and eat some stuff..the omni folk got their plates piled high with what they wanted and there was CACK ALL for us. i was mildly pissed off when we ended up with a packet of walkers and a manky looking banana.yes, we couldve had a dry jp and beans. ..no, i didn't want it. thanks.
    the foody staff looked nonplussed at the request for soya milk..she went to check and came back with a vague no..shouldn't they know if they have it or not?? the mini's dad got her a chip butty, i asked if they'd been cooked seperately..no..in the same veg fat as arrrrgh the chicken nuggets and some fish something or other. i was semi accused of 'making things complicated'..and felt pretty riled with everything. spied a comments counter plus comments leaflet type thing..no pens..asked the guy if he had a pen..he went to check..3 more people came out from the back to scowl at me and one woman was abrupt and grunty! i want to be kind of mildishly mannered but i got a bit ranty..why have a comments bit of paper with stuff on it like ...'your views and opinions ARE important to us..' but no pens?!
    for loads of people there all having a massive scoff up of meaty pie type sausage fishness asda is great i'm sure..but there is knack all in there for vegetarians let alone vegans so i crossed the box that said no, i wouldn't recommend to a friend. grr.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

leedsveg

Hi ep

Just imagine if you'd caught them on a bad day....

lv

Think of it from their perspective though EmmaP, where are they going to find somewhere that sells soya milk and pens?

EP, that's about the standard of service to expect from them it seems. They have low prices, they also have low helpfulness levels.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

I'm not a fan of Asda's they have nothing in the freezer section thats Vegan..that I can see of. I really struggle to buy items from Asda's ;(

I've given up trying to find something to eat in ANY cafe. In my experience they ALL fry stuff in with animal products or there is milk or cheese on everything!

As far as buying vegan food in Asda supermarket I get quite a few things from them, e.g. vegan 'chicken' pieces, potato croquettes, salad cream, some bakery items, packets of burger mix and sausage mix, vegetable samosas and vegetable spring rolls, also in the freezer section they do vegan curry chips!
    I think there is an Asda vegan list too, I'm going to Google 'Asda vegan list' and see what comes up.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

i was going to have them curry and chips but when i saw the calories i couldnt buy it

Do they have a lot of calories Mchelle? I must admit I never worry about the calories or fat amounts in food. I really should take more notice, as although I don't put on weight............ too many calories or fat might not be good for me in other ways!

im not sure of the exact amount but im sure it was something like 300 per HALF a packet i just remember my eyes nearly fallin out when i read it

Quote Risker View Post
    Think of it from their perspective though EmmaP, where are they going to find somewhere that sells soya milk and pens?
    I think I would have marched over to the soya milk and brought them back a carton! I go mad when coffee shops have run out and there is a health food shop nearby (sometimes they go and get one for me from there - and so they should imo) so I'd go bonkers if the place sold it but wouldn't serve it.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    im not sure of the exact amount but im sure it was something like 300 per HALF a packet i just remember my eyes nearly fallin out when i read it
    That is an awful lot..............I frequently eat a whole packet!

Quote Saucy Sam @ ASDA
    Thank you for your message.

Thank you for contacting us to ask about our food and drink that's suitable for a vegan diet.

You might have noticed that we do label vegetarian foods in our stores, but unfortunately we don't have any immediate plans to label vegan products in the same way. We've seen that more and more people are becoming vegetarian, so we've tried our best to cater for this. At the moment, we haven't seen an increase in the number of people wanting foods that are specifically vegan.

Unfortunately we don't have an accurate list of vegan products at the moment. This is because we often change our products to improve quality/value. We would advise you to look on www.asda.com or check the back of the packaging to see if the product is suitable.

Thanks for letting us know your feelings about this. We're always interested to know what our customers think and we'll certainly bear your comments in mind the next time we review our product ranges. I hope we'll be able to welcome you back into one of our stores again soon.
    Thought I'd be all adventurous like and try the local ASDA after many moons last weekend, therefore enquired about an up-to-date list. Above reply has only just come through

Meh, it was poo. Dudes didn't even have tofu.

Hip to the hop, don't stop.

etc.

....At the moment, we haven't seen an increase in the number of people wanting foods that are specifically vegan....
    Mmmmmmm, spamming script. Mr Flibble? Beanstew?
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I can't speak for Beanstew, but I don't believe I'm a spamming script, no.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

....At the moment, we haven't seen an increase in the number of people wanting foods that are specifically vegan....
    The reason supermarkets like this don't see any increased demand from vegans is because for years they have refused to make a vegan list available or reply to the Animal Free Shopper's enquiries. When we have a choice of where to go obviously we'll choose supermarkets with a better attitude to vegans.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

The problem I have with ASDA is that there seem to be aisle after aisle of junk food. Row upon row of crisps, biscuits, fizzy pop and other rubbish. Plus, they seem to devote massive amounts of space to alcohol. If this strategy mirrors what the public want, then that is a truly sad reflection on our nation's eating habits is it not?

Quote Paragon View Post
    The problem I have with ASDA is that there seem to be aisle after aisle of junk food. Row upon row of crisps, biscuits, fizzy pop and other rubbish. Plus, they seem to devote massive amounts of space to alcohol. If this strategy mirrors what the public want, then that is a truly sad reflection on our nation's eating habits is it not?
    Capitalism, dear paragon.

capitalism.

Not real name!

Quick heads up.

Asda (at least here on the edge of Leeds) are doing Kinnerton luxury dark choc bars at just 50p and a dairy free Rice Crackle at 38p. Both vegan, natch.

Just been camping for a week and found Asda's meat free sausage mix to do well. Did also try the burger mix which isn't bad but the sausages won overall. Only about 80p a pack and good lightweight food for camping.

They do also do a nut roast mix that's vegan and tastes pretty good.

On another note 'value' malt loaf from Asda, Morrisons and Tesco is vegan and usually only about 30p a pack. Tastes good

^ The sausage, burger and nut roast mixes are actually rebranded granose products.

Quote Risker View Post
    The sausage, burger and nut roast mixes are actually rebranded granose products.
    Thought they were but could never be sure, they're cheaper in Asda anyway.
    The burger mix is good for making spagbol with if you run out of soya mince

i find asda the best for vegan food, its the only supermarket i shop at anyway. i do remember there being alot more yummys in the freezer than there is now though...but their packet selection of saussage/burgers etc are brill.
    it really annoys me how every asda sells slightly different things, well same with all the supermarkets...why cant they all just stock the same stuff all the time! nothing worse than going in to get something at a 'different to usual' asda and coming out with nothing. :|

They used to do a lot of worthwhile bits at Asda but they seem to discontinue most the things I like. Their musili was great and stupid cheap but that disappeared a few months ago. They did some dark chocolate chips and vegan jelly powder about a year ago too but no more

For a few months they had a great range of redwood vegideli stuff (meat like slices, southern fried chikin etc) and it was cheaper than H&B but that has all vanished. They did some great stuff from grassingtons but they've all gone, they have stopped doing their own cashew butter which tasted divine, the only stuff I get from Asda now is So Good Soya milk and their own brand chikin style chunks.

I think maybe Asda has turned its back on vegans

Saying that they have just launched a dark choc spread which seems vegan, maybe there is some hope...

Quote Firestorm View Post
    They did some great stuff from grassingtons but they've all gone
    I'm living in hope they start stocking the grassingtons burgers etc for the summer. They do some nice bits and a good price when asda has them in.

Ive just been to Asda and I cant find their own brand chikin chunks anymore On the plus side there was a frozen weight watchers dessert that seems vegan (hot fruit crumble). Its says May contain milk etc but the ingredients seem vegan.

Asda have a brand of Cola in called RC, I emailed the company and they have confirmed that its vegan. Anyone tried it?

Aren't most (all?) colas vegan? They all taste pretty much the same to me so I just go for the cheapest own brand ones.

As there used to be fish in fanta I didn't want to take the chance. I generally go for pepsi max if I buy cola, but I thought this may be a nice change (I miss Virgin Cola - I think they should bring that back)

I believe the fish gelatine that was used in fanta was to stop the ingredients from separating and all the colour sinking to the bottom, this doesn't happen with colas. When you get an orange drink you often find that there's orange sediment at the bottom of the bottle but brown colouring doesn't seem to do this.

My point was you cant really make assumptions that a product is animal free, I was pretty sure that it would be, but wanted to make sure as some companies use animal products for the most stupid reasons.
    A few months ago I asked Baxters if their Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce was vegan (all ingredients looked vegan), they said no because the lemon juice had shellac in.

Not real name!

A few months ago I asked Baxters if their Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce was vegan (all ingredients looked vegan), they said no because the lemon juice had shellac in.
    Eh? WTF? How? Why? What on Earth? I mean..... why would they even do that?

I am wondering if that is why Sainsburys lemon & coriander houmous isn't labelled as vegan?

Sounds like they're talking shit tbh, someone smart enough to know that lemons are sometimes glazed with shellac making assumptions.

I am wondering if that is why Sainsburys lemon & coriander houmous isn't labelled as vegan?
    I think like a lot of companies Sainsburys don't label vegan if there's a risk of cross contamination.

Quote Risker View Post
    Sounds like they're talking shit tbh, someone smart enough to know that lemons are sometimes glazed with shellac making assumptions.

I think like a lot of companies Sainsburys don't label vegan if there's a risk of cross contamination.
    She said that the lemon juice actually contained shellac this being the reason it is not on their vegan list ( I agree she was probably talking shit but maybe the lemon juice has lemon peel in? ).
    I find it weird that Sainsburys choose this Houmous to only label as vegetarian (when they label most of them as vegan) when there are no animal products mentioned on the pack, there is no mention of cross contamination on the website but there is lemon peel in the ingredients?

leedsveg

Had a few minutes to spare in Asda last night before picking up MrsLv from work and I had a quick check of the ambient food items on the "veggie shelves". I counted the following differing veg*n items:

32 Quorn
    7 Asda's own brand
    3 Cauldron

Out of a total of 42 veg*n items, only 1 (the Cauldron marinated tofu pieces) was suitable for vegans. Whoopee.

I suppose I should have looked at the frozen section to confirm that Asda's "suitable for vegans, frozen mince" is still available but I just lost heart.

Leedsveg

Hi Leedsveg

Its very disappointing isn't it?

I would avoid Asda if possible but I cant because they are now the only supermarket near me that sells fresh So Good Soya milk - Morissons & Tesco used to but have stopped, I think Marks & Spencer soya milk is a rebranded So Good which is great but the price isn't.
    The only reason I go to Asda now is for Soya Milk, Silken Tofu and their own brand burger mix (I ultimately end up buying other stuff while I'm there, but I wouldn't bother going if they stopped selling these 3 products) . The list of vegan food they have stopped selling is very long but I'm finding thats the case with most supermarkets now.

I'm thinking of moving to a town that has either a big Waitrose, Sainsburys or Co-op. When walking round other supermarkets I ultimately end up feeling like a kicked puppy.

leedsveg

Hi Firestorm

Have you tried Asda's own brand sausage mix? As far as I can remember, it tastes either the same, or very similar to the late lamented Sos-mix.

Just come back from Tesco and they still have 3 x 250ml Alpro Choc soya @ 85p also Palirria vine leafs with rice @ £2 per tin and currently 'buy one get one free'.

lv

Hi Leeds Veg

I think I have tried all of Asda's own brand stuff - they were quite nice especially the chicken style roast (I think they might be rebranded Granose products - but cheaper).
    If you want Sos-mix, Alternative Stores sell the original (apparently) Here and the Sosmix site also claims that Alternative Stores is selling it.

I have a pack of this which I am coincidentally trying this afternoon, but I never tried the original as it was just being phased out when I became vegan so I dont have anything to compare it to, I was just looking for a good sausage mix that tastes better than Granose and Sosmix seemed to be the one that everyone loved.

Not real name!

Asda's frozen chicken chunk things. Pack gives no reason for not being vegan but they don't get mentioned on their vegan list. Thoughts?

Good News: They are vegan, I checked Via email a while ago.

Bad News: They have been discontinued.

Not real name!

Good News: They are vegan, I checked Via email a while ago.

Bad News: They have been discontinued.
    We are talking about the sort of cube shaped chicken style pieces, aren't we? The ones made from wheat gluten. If true I'm off to buy however many packs are left. Cheapest Seitan ever!

There are the ones I'm talking about - they are 81% soya protein with a bit of wheat gluten. Realeat make something very similar with about 3 times the salt:

Not real name!

There are the ones I'm talking about - they are 81% soya protein with a bit of wheat gluten. Realeat make something very similar with about 3 times the salt:
    That's them. Shed-loads in stock at Asda Wakefield. If they discontinue them then I'll actually have no reason on Earth to ever set foot in there again.

They have been gone from the 3 Asda's near me for weeks, fingers crossed they have changed their mind and are bringing them back.
    This is the email I got from them:

Hello Firestorm,

Thanks for your patience while I have been waiting for the buyer to get back to me.

I've been told we have stopped selling soya chicken style chunks. If a product does not sell well it will be removed from sale to make way for new lines.

However, your comments have been noted by our buyer for future consideration.

Once again, thanks for contacting us and if I can be of further help, please let me know.

Kind Regards
    Claire Brant
    ASDA Service Team

Apologies but time for a rant:

I just made a complaint to Asda, I have just got back from there to find that they have rebranded the Humdinger chocolate buttons so they are now part of Asda's free from range but they have left off the "suitable for Vegans" part, I also complained about the ever declining amount of Vegan products that they have in their stores & the lack of Vegan labeling on the their own products (including their soya milk) and asked them if they are going to try alienating their Vegan customers why not just put a sign out front that says "Vegans dont shop here" instead.
    I honestly think that Asda is competing for the Dipstick supermarket of the year award.

Rant over