Thread: animal rights activists on tv

Cool animal rights activists on tv

Aussies please watch sbs-tv on Tuesday 12 Oct at 7.30pm as the Insight program is on animal rights activists and their activities.
    Eve

This is a posting that only Aussies can follow through. Do please watch this program.
    Eve

Quote eve
    Aussies please watch sbs-tv on Tuesday 12 Oct at 7.30pm as the Insight program is on animal rights activists and their activities.
    What did you think of the program? I don't feel it really achieved anything but thought that it was well done all the same. It is too big a question to have to debate in such a small time and forum. People were throwing around blanket statements that were blatantly wrong - on both sides - and that doesn't achieve much. I did feel however that Jerry came across as a militant extremist and generally a dangerous person; he seemed to assume that the Australian system in science reflects that in America; which simply is not the case. Despite this, many animals are still used as a "resource" fo science wihout due consideration, in numbers that are saddening. My focus is still away from science and more on the intensive farming industry - as while science may have some positive outcome, eating of many millions more is certainly not warranted.

Smile

Quote veganblue
    I don't feel it really achieved anything. It is too big a question to have to debate in such a small time and forum. ... I did feel that Jerry came across as a militant extremist and generally a dangerous person; he seemed to assume that the Australian system in science reflects that in America; which simply is not the case.
    I don't know that it is too big a question for a full one-hour program, and there were people such as Jeffrey Masson, Mark Pearson, Patty Mark, and others who were excellent, though I'm not so keen on Ralph Hahnheuser's views, or those of Jerry Vlasak. I know that on this on-line forum, posters generally are more of the view that violence can be justified. But not for me, but Jeffrey, Mark, and Patty were the ones who were more rational. It would have been great if more people could have seen the program, even though Brockie always seems unfair and actually incapable; generally I no longer watch Insight because of her ineptitude. What a wonderful thing it would be if there were more of Jeffrey Masson.
    Eve

Quote eve
    What a wonderful thing it would be if there were more of Jeffrey Masson.
    I agree wholeheartedly; I had not heard him speak before or anything of his views. Mark and Patty are great also. I was curious that you picked out Ralph and feel that it must be from other things that he has done or said that may have made you feel this way. You will find that the opinions of Mark and Ralph are closely aligned - I would not know about Patty since we have limited contact with ALVIC, she has however voiced her support for us during the election campaign. I am interested in a day where all AL groups work as a co-ordinated organisation on particular national topics. We were able to rally support internationally more so than nationally.
    In South Australia it is part of our constitution that violence has no part in our organisation. This does not mean we will not engage in civil disobedience when necessary, but this usually only involves trespass to take footage. Pretty basic stuff, certainly non-violent. The only damage we did do was to weld shut sow stalls that were below the regulatory minimum standards.
    Despite the merit of the program, I don't think that either case was effectively put in a way that would make people sit up and think. It is a shame, but still good to have this discussion in the public arena.

tails4wagging

It sounds as you down there, are more liberal about airtime and animal rights. The UK media is so anti, and yet very rarely do they interview or show programmes about the animal rights movement.

To be fair, tails, SBS' viewer numbers aren't exactly enormous. My TV (well, my friend's TV) doesn't even pick it up. Would have liked to have seen it, though. Not that I need convincing either way...