Thread: Lunchtime supermarket trauma

Default Lunchtime supermarket trauma

a.k.a. what do you do for lunch if the local supermarket hasn't got any decent snacky vegan food (apart from nuts, etc) - it doesn't even sell Falafel any more

So today, I mostly be eatin' 2 veggie samosas (which are vegan - I checked) a pack of various pakora (again checked) and a small tub of olives - is this the normal supermarket lunch or can folk recommend stuff which doesn't need heating up as I haven't got enough time... ?

Lilac Hamster

Default Re: Lunchtime supermarket trauma

I think you might want to be a bit more organised and make some sandwiches or something you like to take out with you. Veganism does make it more likely you will do better by thinking ahead, but I am sure you will get used to that.

Fruit and nuts is good. Some supermarkets have vegan sarnies these days but they are usually in central London I think. Many of them don't have vegan sandwiches which we have to pester them about a lot more.

Even Jesse on the Fast Show said one time "today I mostly be eatin' bourbon biscuits". They are usually vegan so if you get a pack of them to keep at work it should last a while (not that I am encouraging you to eat a whole pack for lunch).

Does your supermarket do the soya desserts? Many of them do them these days and they are nice in place of a yogurt (or some supermarkets do soya yogurts too). You would have to remember to take a spoon out with you!

I am very naughty and eat far too many crisps if I am out and want a snack.

have a look in the pre-packed sandwich section Corum - you might just find the odd Bugsy organic sandwich if you're lucky.

i often have houmous and carrot sticks or pitta breads as well.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I do normally take my own lunch, but today, with it being payday, there wasn't much that I fancied taking in. Anyway, I needed some money to pay for a mandolin lesson later.

As far as sandwiches... everything had cheese or chicken in it (and as for the so-called vegitarian sarnies, they all had milk in them). Asda's vegan range is pants!

Are those sandwiches quite reasonable then Gorilla? You often find the niche stuff is rather expensive in comparison, maybe I'll be surprised.

Mahk

Hi Corum, welcome to the forum! [edit: hey that rhymes!]

I'm not sure if supermarkets where you live are like the ones in the US, but when I'm desperately in need of food I check out the salad bar and sometimes the sushi bar (avocado/cucumber/carrot). Do they have those in supermarkets where you live? I know supermarket sushi and salad can be a bit dodgy, so maybe a piece of fresh fruit is the way to go.

I'm with Gorilla on the pitta bread and humous. Otherwise, if I've been desperate, I've bought a loaf of sliced bread and a jar of peanut butter and made sandwiches (I didn't have a knife so I used my finger to spread it!). And there's always Hobnobs
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Corum View Post
    Are those sandwiches quite reasonable then Gorilla? You often find the niche stuff is rather expensive in comparison, maybe I'll be surprised.
    i think they cost £2.10 or thereabouts.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Usually ends up being a pita and hummus and whatever quick veggies i can find to throw in.. usually a red pepper and an avocado

Sorry Corum, I can't really add anything to anyone elses advice but I just had to say that the idea of playing a mandolin is positively delightful!

I've given up trying to find vegan sandwiches and always take my own when going out. If I get peckish I'll seek out the local chippy, other than that it would be as others have said, humous and pitta bread or rolls and nuts, fruit, salad etc. Sometimes you can get small tubs of couscous or pasta in tomato sauce that are vegan in supermarkets. We're a little way off being able to get 'fast food' to the same extent as omnis and veggies yet. Unless you live in Brighton of course. Lucky Brightonians

What about a banana dipped in a small tub of soy yoghurt?

Quote RedWellies View Post
    (I didn't have a knife so I used my finger to spread it!).

Clean I hope.

In my good old sabbing days: hummus and p.nut butter sandwiches. Tops!
    And a good combination healthwise, So I've been told, something about how one ingredient helps break down the other. Dunno, they just tasted so darned good.

Quote sandra View Post
    Sorry Corum, I can't really add anything to anyone elses advice but I just had to say that the idea of playing a mandolin is positively delightful!
    the reason is in my profile pic - I belong to a largely pagan morris side as one of the two mandolin players.

Quote Corum View Post
    a.k.a. what do you do for lunch if the local supermarket hasn't got any decent snacky vegan food (apart from nuts, etc) - it doesn't even sell Falafel any more

So today, I mostly be eatin' 2 veggie samosas (which are vegan - I checked) a pack of various pakora (again checked) and a small tub of olives - is this the normal supermarket lunch or can folk recommend stuff which doesn't need heating up as I haven't got enough time... ?
    The samosa/pakora route is one I have driven down many times.

Hummous, as other people have mentioned, is the usual standby - if I have to go to the supermarket for lunch at work I will normally get bread, hummous and some veg and make my own sarnie when I get back to work.

I could also suggest getting one of the pre-washed salads and adding some nuts for protein (or marinaded tofu bits if you're lucky).

The pasta salads are often vegan. Marks and Spencers do a lot of things in tubs which appear to be alright from the ingredients, but are quite pricey and not labelled with vegans in mind. At least they have allergy info though.

Tins of soup are good, if you have a microwave at work (and a tin-opener). I keep a can of organic Tuscan Bean soup in my locker in case of food emergency.

That looks fascinating Corum, I love the sound of a mandolin!

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    We're a little way off being able to get 'fast food' to the same extent as omnis and veggies yet. Unless you live in Brighton of course. Lucky Brightonians
    sadly the place where Corum and i work is right on the edge of town, and too far away from all the decent veggie places in Brighton to visit them at lunchtime

it's also on the outer spiral arm of that supermarket's supply chain - so you just get the dross that the chavs want to eat, not the decent stuff. Ever since it had a 'refit' (as in more tacky shelving and the good stuff dissapeared) you can't even find humous any more!

i'll have to show you where the houmous is Corum they have annoyingly moved everything around but i think they've actually got more vegan products in there recently. did you know they sell one variety of Cheezley in there now?!

I have the same problem Corum, although a little less now as i'm usually office based, but i used to be on the road everyday and always buy my lunch rather than making stuff to take. But i keep in my car a set of plastic cutlery.

some supermarkets are better than others, i think asda is the worst.

Houmous and crusty bread was my favourite. Also you can get the pre-prepard cous cous, pasta, rice salads etc. Also some of the salad bars have all the ingredients labelled on the dishes so thats a good option. The marinated tofu pieces are good dipped in houmous or put in sandwiches with brown sauce or a salad dressing(some of the low fat salad creams are vegan)

if you have access to hot water a couple of the supermarkets do the trufree pot noodle thingys which are ok.

also, if you can get tinned 'pulses' with ring pulls they're a good option particulary if you drain them then pour a dresing over them, eat'em straight from the tin

some of the chains now sell vegan slices, cheese, mayo etc so more options there.

if i couldn't find anything healthy and appertising i used to buy crisps or biscuits but bought a smootie as these are healthy and fill you up.

you would not believe how many meals i have prepared in supermarket car parks maybe i should write a supermarket carpark reciepe book
    I dont get crunchy people?

Quote veganbikerboy View Post
    if you have access to hot water a couple of the supermarkets do the trufree pot noodle thingys which are ok.
    Sweet & Sour flavoured pot noodles are ok aswell, it's a shame there aren't many powdered soups that are ok, the only ones I've found have been from a health food shop, no mainstream ones.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Didn't Pot Noodles used to have egg in them? It's a shame only the Sweet 'n' Sour one is Vegan as it's the only one I didn't like as an omni

Blue Dragon make a couple of noodle dishes that are a bit bigger and are marked as Vegan. Don't be put off by the 'chicken' flavour... it's not real

I just contacted Pot Noodle and the new Posh Noodle Spicy Chilli flavour is vegan. I've got the email from them but I don't know how to put it up here.

Quote RedWellies View Post
    I'm with Gorilla on the pitta bread and humous. Otherwise, if I've been desperate, I've bought a loaf of sliced bread and a jar of peanut butter and made sandwiches (I didn't have a knife so I used my finger to spread it!). And there's always Hobnobs
    Not Hobnobs... nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

At a bike show me and Hemlock organised a couple of years ago, the top prize was the Hobnob d'Or.

I made a proper trophy and everything! OK, it was a definitely a Hobnob, this one was a bit special however, it was sprayed gold with metallic paint and mounted onto a proper mahogany plaque (recycled of course), attached to it was a proper little engraved metal plaque saying: "SE MAG - Rams Revenge bike show 2005, Best in Show"

The bloke that won it was absolutely made up! Even though he'd just won loads of cash at another show the week before, he was cool! He also won a couple of packets of Hobnobs (which he handed out) and a magazine subscription.

Anyway... I digress. Lunch trauma sorted! thanks to Gorilla who pointed me in the direction of the Houmous and wholemeal pittas (and I've found the falafels as well so I'm sorted!!

i've seen blue dragon instant wok noodles which are vegan if you are desperate and have a kettle? never tried them so cant vouch for the quality.