Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Default Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Thanks for the updates bex and twinkle. These aren't my favourite places but it's great news that you can get vegan food in a chain that's pretty much ubiquitous in these parts (a second one has just opened in here Putney, down by the river).

Good to see some new stuff on the menu.

The Houmous and Roasted Vegetables - Flatbread doesn't mention that it comes with mayonnaise which is undoubtedly not vegan so I wonder if the dressing that comes with the Roasted Vegetable, Chickpea and Couscous Salad is ok.

The dressing isn't vegan I don't think. I had the chickpea and couscous salad today, really yummy. I gave the dressing to my boyfriend though. It's a balsamic and vinigerette(sp?) dressing, it's quite thick and creamy looking so I avoided it. The flatbread didn't come with anything, but I didn't eat it anyway cos I didn't want it.

the problem of the dressing could be anything from dairy to agents using in making the vinegarette tbh.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

i've finally tried the sweet pot, chickpea and spinach curry ... it's lovely. i asked for no naan extra popadum. my omni friend had the same and enjoyed it also. was disappointed at the lack of vegan lagers on tap there tho.

I didn't think the curry was all that lovely when I had it, but I suspect it depends on someone knowing which button to press on the microwave Anyway, am v glad to know it's there.

I like the curry, but find it a bit spicy.

stella is the usual option for lager there.

The curry isn't bad it has some taste to it and is a lot like the cauldron ready meal they used to sell in sainsbury's. I'm not sure it could be described as spicy but then again I have taken to using dorset naga chillies at home
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

^ I'm rubbish with things even vaugely spicy lol I have to add tofutti to them or have lots of rice XD

The houmous and veg flatbread doesn't come with mayonnaise.the bit about mayo actually refers to the one below it on the menu but it is a bit confusing unless you stare at the menu for ages!i had it today and it was YUM.loads of roast veg and nice houmous too.the salad didn't have any dressing on.

on the wetherspoons website you can check what's vegan Wetherspoons Foodfacts

Here's the list it comes up with when i just check for "vegan":

CHILDRENS----Happy Monkey Strawberry & Banana Smoothie
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Bombay Potatoes
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Large Onion Bhajis
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Poppadums & Mango chutney
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry with extra Poppadums
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Vegetable Samosas
    DELI----Houmous and Roasted Vegetables - Flatbread
    DELI----Portion Of Chips
    JACKET POTATOES----Jacket Potato and Baked Beans without butter and salad dressing
    JACKET POTATOES----Jacket Potato and Roasted Vegetables without butter and salad dressing
    MAIN MEALS----Red Onion Marmalade
    MAIN MEALS----Reggae Reggae Tomato sauce
    MAIN MEALS----Roasted Vegetable, Chickpea and Couscous Salad
    MAIN MEALS----Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry with Extra Poppadums (no naan)
    SIDES----Bowl of Chips
    SIDES----Side Salad without Dressing
    STARTERS & SHARERS----Organic Tomato & Basil Soup without Bread and Butter
    STEAK CLUB (TUESDAYS)----Red Onion Marmalade
    STEAK CLUB (TUESDAYS)----Reggae Reggae Sauce
    SUNDAY CLUB----Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls

i want to try the salad cos it sounds nice!i know it may not be amazing food but at least they seem to be making some effort to have vegan food and i find it a good place to catch up with omni friends for not too much money.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Quote Ribbon View Post
    The houmous and veg flatbread doesn't come with mayonnaise.the bit about mayo actually refers to the one below it on the menu but it is a bit confusing unless you stare at the menu for ages!i had it today and it was YUM.loads of roast veg and nice houmous too.the salad didn't have any dressing on.
    My partner had the flatbread last weekend, we asked for no mayonnaise, they accepted that without question - when it arrived, it didn't contain any houmous. Upon questioning, they said since it didn't come with mayonnaise, they assumed we meant no houmous. They also explained the section about mayonnaise on the menu refers to the steak flatbread, not the veggie one.

For pub food, it was pretty nice ;-)

They have a new vegan dish - Tarka Daal

NEW Tarka Daal
    This dish originates from central India. Red and chana lentils are cooked with
    tomato and coriander, then flavoured with garlic and cumin.
    220kcal

^ and a new superfood salad. The houmous flatbread has disappeared off the menu that I saw though

The Tarka Daal doesn't appear to be on the menu any more. Shame, I kept meaning to try it. At 220 calories though I think I'd have been disappointed unless it was very cheap.

The Superfood Salad was pretty tasty, although the edamame beans were conspicuously absent - pleasant to have something relatively healthy as a pub meal rather than chips, though!

Normally when I go to Weatherspoons, I get chips and veggies because I don't buy a big meal unless I go there with my family. I know the curry, (the vegetable one??) is vegan as it's marked on the menu, but it's if you have it with extra poppadoms rather than naan bread. It's really nice too. I also think the jacket potato with beans, that is vegan. I can't remember the other toppings. I don't know if the burger is vegan now as it isn't marked on the menu, and it says it's made with cheese?? I didn't know if it was because it had cheese as a slice on the burger, or if the burger was made with cheese though.

The burger isn't vegan. You can check the website it lists all their vegan options.

They have a new topping option for jacket potatoes - houmous
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

ahhhh okay, thank you And oooooooooo hummous on jacket potato I love that so much; I have it at home I'll have to try it

Hmmm, time for a trip to wetherspoons I think
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

This might interest people. An E-Petition to make restaurants say whether their food is vegan, vegetarian or non vegetarian. This petition also extends to foods and drink (so finally might be able to get some tap beer which is vegan. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/11773

You seem to be only able to get the curry on a Thursday now. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

^ I think that's always been the case, or at least the case for a very long time. I think if you ask nicely they might be able to make you one on other days if they have the stock. I know I've had curry club items on other days before.

They should be due to change the menu soon - lets hope that they'll give us more choice when they do!

Ah...I don't know when I last went in...menu changes! Ugh, why can't they improve it rather than make it worse?
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Crusty Rat

Yesterday I noticed two (of many) 'Spoons pubs in my city, differently styled, fucking opposite each other! Makes me feel like a shit for going there sometimes. Last time I went in one (with two other vegans) they'd taken the only decent thing (hummussy roasted vegetable stuff) off the menu. We were stuck with chips and the stagnantfood salad. (N)

Wetherspoons is awful for vegan food now. Unless you go on a Thursday your only options are chips or salad without dressing. Booo

Quote Risker View Post
    Wetherspoons is awful for vegan food now. Unless you go on a Thursday your only options are chips or salad without dressing. Booo
    Are Thursdays special?
    Houmous atá ann!

They do curries on Thursdays

Quote Risker View Post
    They do curries on Thursdays
    How random o_O
    Houmous atá ann!

New item -
    Tortilla chips & salsa side order

Only on Mondays.

Wow, what a treat!