Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Default Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

They don't seem to list a beanburger on their site. Unless it was the same thing as a vegetable burger.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

There was only one veggie/bean burger - so I think they are the same - NOT vegan .. Grrrr.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

*sigh* i liked the bean burger as well i wish things would be more straight forward like all (vegetarian) food being vegan with options of cheese or mayo on top of that (yuk), and like pasta being vegan with option of cheese or meat etc, like base foods with stuff added. it wouldnt be too hard to make the pasta wheat free too and go the whole way, but guess they are a cheap place and that would cost too much
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

Has anyone heard anything back?
    I included my email address in the hope that they would get back to me.
    I might fill in the stupid long form if it means they get back to me.

i filled in the big form with all my contact details (except my phone number because i don't want them calling me) and i'm still waiting for a reply.

"I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I emailed them the other day to complain, but i've not heard anything back yet. I say yet, but I feel we're going to get ignored.

i got a letter in the post from them today. it was a complete waste of paper, as it was only about two lines, they'd have been better off emailing me. here's what they said:

"Dear ***

Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the new menu. I can confirm that the vegetarian burger is no longer suitable for vegans. This has been updated on our website.

I take on board your comments and i will send these on to the Caterings Managers for their information and consideration for the future.

Thank you for writing to feedback your valuable views."

'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I had a letter too just saying they would pass my comments onto the catering team waste of paper i agree - has gone in the recycling pile here.

Im doing a summer scheme the next 2 weeks at work taking some of our adult students who have learning difficulties out - 2 wetherspoons lunches out planned so looks like it will be jacket and beans

BlackCats

I received a letter in post today from Wetherspoons.

Apparently they have passed on my comments to the "Area Manager" for my particular pub who will "urgently investigate the issue and will remind the team the importance of getting things right".

They said they will also forward my request to re-introduce the burger suitable for vegans to the "catering manager".

They probably were like wtf why have we had so many complaints in one day? ha ha.

Bring back the vegan wetherspoon burger!!! Whoo hoo!

I've now complained too.

Dear Customer Services,

I am extremely disappointed to hear that your veggie burger is no longer suitable for vegans.

You may not have been aware that many vegans eat at your pubs because they are able to eat there at a reasonable price and with their non vegan friends. Also it is known that wherever you are in the country if you can find a Wetherspoons pub you can get a good meal.

Obviously vegans having a preference for you pubs (because you cater for us) brings business to your pubs - groups of friends and work colleague who would have otherwise gone elsewhere.

In fact until there is a vegan option on the menu I will no longer be asking my friends and colleague to eat or drink at Wetherspoons, we can go to the pub of their choice instead. If I have to go without food or eat before I leave the house I can do that anywhere! It really does make the world of difference to us to be able to eat with other people and not be the odd one out, not have to make any special arrangements in advance.

I'm sure many other vegans will feel the same way. I'm sure you have already had some feedback on this issue - we have a strong community and good communication networks so news of what is and isn't vegan travels fast. It is a shame that some vegans checked your website and found the new burger was still listed as suitable - they visited and ate it only to find out later it contained cheese. In fact I believe your website was only updated after you started to receive complaints. We very much appreciate that you list information on what is vegan (and we do check it regularly to make sure there have been no changes) but it is extremely important to keep this up to date so that we can trust the information found there.

Surely you can improve the recipe of your veggie burger without making it unsuitable for many of your customers - vegans, people trying to reduce their cholesterol consumption, those with a dairy intolerance and the many vegetarians simply trying to cut down on cheese (when eating out the veggie options more often than not contain cheese - to have cheese with everything is quite boring, not to mention unhealthy when eaten often).

We are not asking for elaborate meals - just reintroduce a veggie burger which is suitable for everyone, before vegans get out of the habit of visiting your chain.

It would be a shame if you decided to wait until the menu changes again (surely you could source a new burger and as long as it is different to the one your previously served it could still be called 'new').

I look forward to your reply.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've now complained too.
    I wish we were all so eloquent. I just mouthed off. haha.

I think a variety of complaining styles will emphasise we are all complaining individually!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

That's such a good letter Marrers I don't think they can ignore that- let us know if/when you get a reply, hopefully they might have *two* veggie burgers soon

Your letter is amazing Marrers!!!

Definitely! Cumin spoke to head office, so he's done his bit!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Got a letter today,

Quote Wetherspoons

Dear Mr Risker

Thank you for taking the time to contact us

Customer feedback is extremely important to us. I have passed your comments to our catering team, who will consider your suggestion further.

Thank you once again for showing interest in JD wetherspoon and giving us the oppurtunity to improve.

Yours sincerely,

I've still had no reply to my email - how rude. (Sent to JDW@clock.co.uk) I might print it off and post it in.

ETA I've emailed it via the feedback forum on their website. If I don't get a reply I'll post them a hard copy.

sugarmouse

I didnt get a reply either!

I presume there is still no news and no change to the burger?

Odd, just got this, they took their time!

Dear Mr Risker

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to one
    of our pubs.

I am sorry to hear you have been disappointed with our recent change to
    the Vegetable Burgers. I have passed your comments to the Catering
    Department for due consideration. It will not be possible to make
    changes during this menu cycle but it will be considered for the next
    menu.

I have liaised with our Food Development Manager who confirms that all
    chips and vegetarian items are cooked in one fryer and all fish and
    meat
    products in another.

I do hope that you will not be deterred from visiting again in the
    future as a result of the recent changes and I thank you for taking the
    time to write to us with your comments.

Yours sincerely

Lisa Blythe
    Customer Services

I have been avoiding wetherspoons recently well since the burgers changed to non vegan, but faced with the alternative Mc Deaths (somewhere i refuse to set foot in) visit with students the other day we settled on lunch at the Lloyds/wetherspoons bar so i could get lunch too!

I was expecting to have a jacket with beans but there new organic tomato and basil soup is listed as vegan so had that after getting chef to find ingredients list! They also offered me the penne pasta with med vege as vegan if you ask for no cheese on top, they offered to do a paninni with hummous and tomato which was really nice, just right for lunch on a cold day.

Maybe it was due to being cold and hungry but the food was really nice! I wont be making a habit of going there but it is a good option for any work lunches i guess?

Hehe did you eat ALL of the options offered then alisont????!!

Lol just soup and the paninni for me! was not paying nearly £6 for some pasta with a tomato sauce!

Myself and Enchantress went to a wetherspoons today and gave them a print out of the vegan list from their website, Thursdays are curry club nights so after giving them the list they put together a nice meal for both of us of bombay potato, rice, poppadums, mango chutney and onion bhaji's. They would have included samosas but they'd run out. It cost about £6.70 for both of us to have a full meal. (EDIT: that's £6.70 combined, not each)

wow that sounds nice. *goes off to find a wetherspoons*
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

I went to the Solihull branch last Sat and had a nice bowl of the organic tom and basil soup and they were happy to mix n match sarnie fillings so i had a salad and hummus cibatta bread - loads of salad stuffed in

Must try the curry club again soon

Unfortunately, and i'm sorry to say this, BUT, Wetherspoon's website info is UNRELIABLE for vegans.

Staff have rammed that down our throats and many people bought vegan burgers that were not - BECAUSE - they did not update their website.

I'd always use caution with these guys.

Food is bought in already packed and ready for heating.

They change suppliers - and herein lies some of their problems.

Your choice - at least now you know.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

I always ask to check the ingredients list there so know things are as ok as they can be - always risks eating out where meats prepared in same kitchens I reckon.

I do sometimes mention my strong intollerance to egg/dairy and staff are usually really helpful with digging out packs and lists, i had 2 staff at the solihull branch sit down to ask me about veganism seems to depend on the branch - they had to find ingredients for soup/bread/hummus for me and were fine.

But yes the online list is not updated

I ordered the Vegetable curry on wednesday. I wasn't sure if it contained Butter/ghee.

I asked the guy serving me, he looked for The Vegetarian Symbol, but I told him that doesnt mean it has no animal products whatsoever. He was getting stressed so in the end it was me reassuring him that I'd be fine with it and ill take the risk as it probably doesn't have butter in it!

Although, reading this thread has made me think that Wetherspoons think about whats in their food and care, so it probably was OK.

I wasn't sure about the tomato soup, I thought it might have butter, whey powder, cream or milk added to it.

The vegetable burger was a definate No-no, how can a burger made of vegetables have cheese in it?! that makes it a cheese and vegetable burger!!

I don't like chips anyway, so I dont have to worry about them being fried in the same oil as meat.

Looking at their website it seems the vegetable curry contains milk, sorry about that.

http://www.rfbrookes.co.uk/Web/FoodF...tPage?OpenForm

Wink Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Does anyone know if the Butternut Squash & Cashew Nut roast on the Sunday club menu is vegan? It comes with a Yorkshire pud so it isn't listed as being vegan, but I'm hoping that the rest is ok?

Some useless, but nice info here.. a mate of mine used to work in a Wetherspoons in Leeds and said there were about 3 vegans who worked there!

I guess they weren't big fans of the food though by the sound of things in this thread.

Quote Wan01 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Butternut Squash & Cashew Nut roast on the Sunday club menu is vegan? It comes with a Yorkshire pud so it isn't listed as being vegan, but I'm hoping that the rest is ok?
    There isn't anythin on thje website that suggests that it could be vegan. Might be worth getting in touch with them, and seeing how it gets prepared. I'm guessing it's probably just some sort of microwaved tray type thing, so they should have a list of ingredients.
    I like football. And potatoes.

When I asked i was met by blank looks about the nutroast - on checking my local one (a Lloyds bar)has said it contains egg

They said the only vegan foods are the ones on the allergy list on their website - not much choice other than soups, jacket and beans and a few of the curry club items!

Wish they would bring back their vegan burger

Quote alisont View Post

Wish they would bring back their vegan burger
    yeah, they lost a lot of money from me when that changed! I miss that burger.

Quote Frosty View Post
    yeah, they lost a lot of money from me when that changed! I miss that burger.

me too.

But think of all those folk that still ordered it, started eating it to find stringy cheese inside the vege burger suitable for vegans!!!

Quite simply I think Wetherspoons are shite now.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Yep I feel they have gone downhill, we go a fair bit from work with students as its so cheap but the only option is the jacket pot and beans a lot of the time i took my own sandwich in the other week and brought a drink, no one noticed!

oh, that burger deal *looks dreamily off into the distance*

DAMN YOU JD WETHERSPOON!

Thank you for your email.

We are not planning to go back to the original vegan suitable burger but
    we are in the process of reviewing our current one. In this process we
    will look into your point, to see if once again we can adapt it to make
    it suitable for vegans again. We are potentially looking at alternative
    cook methods for the vegetable burger other than the fryer as well,
    possibly leading to a healthier burger as well. We review our menus at
    least twice a year and your comments are welcomed.

Many thanks once again,

Kind regards,

If this is any help... the Chairman's name is Tim Martin. He's usually an amiable bloke (from my dealings on beer related issues - he's a strong CAMRA supporter and that shows - I've got a tiny share allocation as part of CAMRA's investment club). I don't see why people can't pen him a nice letter stating that they're not happy with how things have been changed.

If enough people write to him, he'll have to pass that down through the catering department.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Re: risker's reply

sometimes we don't want healthy - we want tasty vegan nosh!

If it being healthier means it is ordered by people looking for a healthier option (therefore being more popular) and so it stays on the menu I'm happy to hear it!

Thanks for emailing them Risker.

risker - you are the most proactive person i've ever 'met'. good work on the email

corum - that doesn't sound like a bad idea. always surprises me that firms don't realise there is a market is us lot. granted, it's a small, niche market, but you make yourself a name for having a good deal for vegans, like the beer and burger, and you will find yourself with a lot of custom! i miss that burger deal...it was awesome

amanda

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Wetherspoons haven't replied to my email. i guess they don't take their vegan customers too seriously. looks like i'll have to try writing again, and if anybody else wants to get on their case too (in a polite way of course!) that'd be helpful!!!
    No, they don't. Wetherspoons to me is on same line as McDonalds . . . I can't support them. Everything I have ever read on them suggests they are ignorant.

WildWitch

a lot of my friends are veggie or meat eaters, weatherspoons is a local for us so when i go there i order a plain jacket potato, take my own pure spread in a small tub, take a tub of vegan mayo and im quite happy with that. I have also ordered their 3bean salad in the past and asked them to leave off the dressing (i take my own), i think there chilli is vegan isnt it.

Glad to hear about the burger, might try that next time im in there.

Quote WildWitch View Post
    a lot of my friends are veggie or meat eaters, weatherspoons is a local for us so when i go there i order a plain jacket potato, take my own pure spread in a small tub, take a tub of vegan mayo and im quite happy with that. I have also ordered their 3bean salad in the past and asked them to leave off the dressing (i take my own), i think there chilli is vegan isnt it.

Glad to hear about the burger, might try that next time im in there.
    woah there.

The chilli has quorn in, and thus not vegan. And the burger might be made vegan again, as per the more recent communication. However, for the time being it is still cheesy.

WildWitch

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    woah there.

The chilli has quorn in, and thus not vegan. And the burger might be made vegan again, as per the more recent communication. However, for the time being it is still cheesy.

Oh yeah, thats why i had never ordered it then, yuk yuk nasty quorn stuff.

Thumbs down Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Quote KayJay View Post

Had a response from Wetherspoons re the above - no the Sunday Club veggie roast is not suitable for vegans - Boo!

They did say that the potatoes & stuffing balls are ok, but I think they must put butter or similar on the vegetables, as they don't seem to be vegan either.

Cheers for the info, kayjay. What a bunch of bum heads It's really something when the veg isn't even suitable