Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Thumbs down Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Ta Frosty - rubbish aren't they! I love my Sunday roasts, but looks like I'll have to stay home and make my own

Default Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Hi guys. I was in Wetherspoons earlier today and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had a main meal dish LABELLED as vegan!

It's the sweet potato, chickpea & spinach curry and it specifically says on the menu in the pub that you can have it with extra poppodums instead of the nann in order to make it vegan (and gluten free).

I had it today, it was quite nice and I would recommend it.

I think this is a fantastic step in the right direction, let's hope other pubs follow suit!

http://www.rfbrookes.co.uk/Web/FoodF...OpenForm&Seq=2

That is fantastic Was it on the main menu or the curry club menu? I can't find it on either of them, maybe they haven't updated them yet. How much was it?

I'll definately return to being a customer of theirs if it's any good.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

blimey...go wether's!

BlackCats

That's good news, I always wondered if some of the curries were okay for vegans when I have been in there.

We did have them make us up a curry from the list of vegan ingredients on their website once but it was all a bit of a kerfuffle and you could only get it on Thursdays, this is much better

Emily...my ex...works in Wetherspoons so I'll ask her!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Rebecca, I've just looked through the latest menu on their website:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/resou...20visited).pdf

And I can see no mention of vegan on it anywhere. Did I miss it?
    Or were you just saying that the item listed on their nutritional info thing were vegan?
    I'm suspicious of that data as they have previously been VERY wrong.
    PLUS - who on earth makes a consumer-focused website these days that only works properly with Internet explorer !! GRARRRRRR!

For those who also have trouble getting it to work: here's the vegan list:
    Breakfast Side Orders----Baked Beans
    Breakfast Side Orders----Hash Brown
    Breakfast Side Orders----Tomato
    Children's Desserts----Banana
    Children's Desserts----Orange
    Children's Side Orders----Baked beans
    Curry Club----2 Poppadums
    Curry Club----Bombay Potato
    Curry Club----Mango Chutney
    Curry Club----Onion Bhaji (x1)
    Curry Club----Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry without Naan Bread
    Curry Club----Vegetable Samosas
    Curry Club----Yellow Basmati Rice
    Extras----Roast Potatoes
    Extras----Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls (x2)
    Jacket Potatoes With Dressed Side Salad----Baked Beans
    Main Meals----Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry with Yellow Basmati Rice, Mango Chutney and Extra Poppadums (no naan bread)
    Salads----Side Salad without Dressing - No Croutons
    Sides----Bowl of Chips
    Sides----Side Salad without Dressing
    Starters & Sharers----Organic Tomato & Basil Soup without Bread
    Sunday Club----Organic Tomato & Basil Soup without Bread
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Call me suspicious but I notice that these two listings seem to conflict.

So is the salad dressing OK or not? Hmm..
    I wish they would get their act together as I would go there regularly if they did.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Cumin - The curry is on that list and Wetherspoons said that it is vegan. But only without the nann bread.

The curry was on the regular menu last night, so you can order it anytime! It was £6.70 I think.

Jennie

Thumbs up To Cumin and Rebbecca

Hiya! very interesting thread. At the moment I am making a big fuss about all the eating places we've got here, and the fact that there's only one that regularly and reliably serves good vegan food, both to eat in, and take away. We have a wetherspoons, nice place, always friendly, and it's on my list to visit, and take a "vegan catering for all" leaflet and shove it in their faces! lol! I will ask about the curry, and give you feedback. Even if the curry is vegan, curry doesn't suit everyone, wouldn't it be betterr for these places to vary the vegan option available? we all know how easily some, if not all, recipes can be adapted? PEACE! Love Jennie. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

Quote Cumin View Post
    Call me suspicious but I notice that these two listings seem to conflict.

So is the salad dressing OK or not? Hmm..
    I wish they would get their act together as I would go there regularly if they did.
    If you look at the downloadable menu (copy of the one used in the pub) it's a bit more descriptive about the salads, the Jacket Potato is just 'with a dressed side salad' where as the actual side salad is 'with a creamy dressing on the side.' so they are two different dressings it seems.

The downloadable menu is the one I mentioned doesn't have the curry listed on it, I hope that doesn't mean it's only on trial in a few pubs or something.

Jennie

Blimey, they don't half make this complicated don't they? Is this our punishment for being vegan? And all because we don't wat any animal/dairy products in our food . . . we hafta research everything, everywhere, sometimes more than once! How did they manage in the old days, before the internet? I mean, look at Donald Watson and co, in the 40's, makes me cringe to think how they'd have coped! Jennie. xx
    Life is what you MAKE IT: be glad for what you have, and can do, don't worry about what you don't have, and aren't able to do.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread... the more of us that write to Tim Martin, the chairman of Wetherspoons (who is actually quite a nice bloke) you can get the address via http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/ asking for a proper choice of food in his pubs, then the sooner he'll take vegans seriously. Easy!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I don't know why anyone would put so much energy into trying to influence these corporate palaces of doom that cause our towns and cities to be bland copies of each other. Why not get really radical and cultivate a relationship with a local independent pub... if you spend your money there you'll have a direct influence over the landlord and be able to supply recipes, hints and tips on ingredients etc... A cafe near me now caters well for vegans, simply because vegans started going there...

You don't obviously know wetherspoons then do you?

There are towns such as Lewes where I work, that have plenty of independent pubs that sadly can't tell one end of a veggie burger from another and I find it quite a bind that I can't get a decent meal.

There is at least one, where I've managed to do that, but they keep changing licensee as it's a managed pub not a tenancy.

Give me a 'corporate palace of doom' where I can be satisfied that a) the beer is in good nick (and yes, there are vegan real ales) and b) I can get the same food wherever I am in the country if I'm stuck.

On the other hand, me and Hemlock enjoy eating at certain out of the way pubs where we do get what we ask for veganised so we have the best of both worlds.

I logged on specifically to post about this. It's delicious and it makes me feel good to see 'big business' giving vegans the nod.

Its good news about the curry - i only discovered the soup the other day, and have had it twice, just because it was quite exciting to see something other than nuked-spud'n'beans on the menu, but an actual curry!!! I hope they have it in my local 'spoons!

puca

Wetherspoons sell the Westons cider.

Top notch.

As much as I hate them in principle.

Quote threeheadedpuppy View Post
    Its good news about the curry - i only discovered the soup the other day, and have had it twice, just because it was quite exciting to see something other than nuked-spud'n'beans on the menu, but an actual curry!!! I hope they have it in my local 'spoons!
    it will be there if you ask for it.

However, there is one problem...

Can people on here say, instead of 'my local wetherspoons', what the name of the pub is and where it is geographically because most people on here are rather vague about saying where they're from in their signature and I for one am not that good at guessing. Also, there are quite a few towns that have more than one JDW pub.

The best ammunition in any campaign is actual details.

For example, if you were to speak to a wetherspoons manager and say where another pub had vegan food, they are more likely to go back to their regional manager and ask for vegan food to be made available. That regional manager will then check with the one whose pub had vegan food.

Better that than a vague... 'some wetherspoons pub somewhere in England had vegan food on the menu so why can't we?'

another method would be buying a single share in the company - then you would be allowed to go to the Annual General Meeting (as it is listed on the stock exchange) and put your point across there.

The Sweet Potatoe curry is vegan, it says so on their website.
    Odviously Naan bread isn't (shame as I LOVE naan, made without the milk or yogurt odv)

Buddha Belly

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    I don't know why anyone would put so much energy into trying to influence these corporate palaces of doom that cause our towns and cities to be bland copies of each other. Why not get really radical and cultivate a relationship with a local independent pub... if you spend your money there you'll have a direct influence over the landlord and be able to supply recipes, hints and tips on ingredients etc... A cafe near me now caters well for vegans, simply because vegans started going there...
    Most pubs in the UK are owned by 3 big pub companies. The fact they don't have the company name above the door does not mean they are an independant pub. It means they are generally hiding behind the facade of independance and fooling people into giving money to evil national pub chains. The fact weatherspoons openly state who they are makes them more open to criticism. In letchworth we have 4 pubs in the town centre and the best isThe three magnets (weatherspoons), which makes you feel welcolme and has staff who remember you and always say hi.
    Most independant pubs are in or near large cities and are not accessable to many

Have a look at Paul Kingsnorths Real England .... very interesting stuff on corporate chains... or any of the series by Joanna Blythman, Shopped springs to mind.

Buddha Belly

Reading this back it does sound a tad..... rantish! oh well. I am a fan of all those books, i also enjoy Engels, Marx, Palast, Klein and many other anti corporate books. Read below the breadline by Fran Abrams and see how major supermarkets have destroyed our towns and cities. It is not just the ability to have local shops and pubs.To be able to shop locally is the best option but when the majority of our society can not afford to shop in a mindfull way, it is impossible.
    This means those who care what is happening have no choice.
    I try to shop as independantly as possible, generally this means having to drive out from my local town and visit shops that are geographically out of the reach for those without cars or not on bus routes. This arguement is beyond veganisn but affects all those that eat food. Until people have the financial abilities to change their shopping habits people will not. i work with people who have so little money that the thought of a single £1.59 pint at a Weatherspoons is attainable, whilst a £2.80 independant pub's pint is a differance not to be comtemplated. Read Orwell and Tressell both are just as real today, simply change factories to call centres. Reality sucks, change can only come through popular revolution, non-violent of course!?!?

That's right there's the veganism of pouring over lists of ingredients on the back of cheap supermarket food or the veganism that's about something wider and greater than that.

I don't think this discussion belongs in this thread, it's identical to the one on the Morrisons thread and is not specific to the companies involved. If you're against large corporations then you should start a new thread imho.

Buddha Belly

Just trying to stick up for those that don't mind going to Weatherspoons whether they like it or have no choice. As far as big pub things go they are good. They stock loads of Westons and (depending on management) know which ales are vegan.
    Don't mind starting new thread, don't know how though.......

According to Emily (The ex/housemate/best mate) who works behind the bar and in the kitchen, the curry is definately vegan.

I've eaten it...it ain't bad...and in the one in Luton it is on the Curry Night menu.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I like it tis niiiiiiiice, even if I do look a bit mental with all those poppodums!

Melanie - you ain't mental already?

I was in Chichester today for work today.....picking up pumpkins!

Wow, I did'nt mean to start any arguments!

Overall I think we should applaud Wetherspoons for this move, hopefully others will follow.

Which pub chain shall we start e-mailing next then?

Buddha Belly

Very selfish but Hogshead as the only other pub in letchworth town centre is one. But being a strict vegan am i allowed in a pub with an animal in its' name?

You live in Hertfordshire...you're allowed!

What other big pubs are there?

Buddha Belly

greene king,

That's more a brewery than a pub chain!

Firkin, Slug & lettuce

EDIT: Actually Buddha is quite right, breweries like Greene king do own alot of the pubs.

Buddha Belly

Pubco, they own loads of reportedly independent pubs. Greene King do own pubs as well as brew

Not being a drinker...I'm not informed of these sortsa things!

Buddha Belly

Being a functioning alcoholic, i do

This is very true. Risker you in the same boat?

^ The functioning alcoholic boat? Nah, I mostly malfunction.

"I'm fucking hating it!"

GOOD LAD!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Very selfish but Hogshead as the only other pub in letchworth town centre is one. But being a strict vegan am i allowed in a pub with an animal in its' name?
    haha, a hogshead is an old fashioned measurement for casks of alcohol amongst other things (as is a firkin), don't know if that originally came from a reference to the animal though.

and i'd just like to say regarding 'independent' pubs that even if they aren't part of a branded chain they will still most likely be owned by a large brewery, if you can find a pub that stocks only drinks from a small independent brewery that also happen to be vegan then you're very lucky indeed
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Buddha Belly

Only small one i've heard of is Skinners brewery in Truro, Cornwall. Wicked booze and all vegan!!! if near by ever stop in for the tour £6.50 and loads to drink (i do not work for them)

Quote Gorilla View Post
    and i'd just like to say regarding 'independent' pubs that even if they aren't part of a branded chain they will still most likely be owned by a large brewery, if you can find a pub that stocks only drinks from a small independent brewery that also happen to be vegan then you're very lucky indeed
    The above statements aren't quite true there in my experience... pubs can't be called a Free House if they have any tie whatsoever to a brewery. If they are tied, they are either tied by a tenancy agreement, managed or held by a loan tie - that is, if a brewery lends the licensee money with which to start up the business.

There are quite a lot of pubs that are not connected to any brewery whatsoever – for example, the Filo (First In Last Out) in Hastings Old Town which brews its own beer, the Red Lion at Snargate (between Brenzett and Appledore in Kent) a.k.a. Doris': a truly independent pub that has been in the same family since 1911, where the beer is served straight from the barrel amongst others. If you want to know which pubs - that are worth drinking in - are independent Free Houses, get a copy of the CAMRA Good Beer Guide (don't buy the Good Pub Guide as they are all paid-for entries, whereas the GBG is researched by CAMRA members).

OK, I know the 'vegan brewery' is quite a long way off from being commonplace, and that is only through the use of Isinglass – nothing else that is animal based should be going into any beer.

I've just got back from drinking Dunkel in Frankfurt – very nice beer and made to Germany's purity laws - can't say about the use of finings but I believe it is less common on the continent than it is here

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Only small one i've heard of is Skinners brewery in Truro
    My, what an education you'll be needing!! Sharps produces much better beer IMHO (Doom Bar).
    The GBG also has lists of all of the breweries and pub chains in the country with contact details.

Maybe one day, it would be fun to produce a Good Vegan Beer Guide

Quote Corum View Post
    Maybe one day, it would be fun to produce a Good Vegan Beer Guide
    Do it! Do it! I'll help!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Buddha Belly

My, what an education you'll be needing!! Sharps produces much better beer IMHO (Doom Bar).
    The GBG also has lists of all of the breweries and pub chains in the country with contact details.

Maybe one day, it would be fun to produce a Good Vegan Beer Guide[/quote]

The good vegan beer guide is a sh*t hot idea. it should be done and fast!!!!!!!! Can we have ciders and perrys please?

...erm... did the pope once belong to the Inquisition? Do bears forget to take their shovels when going out into the woods?

I used to help 'research' (ahem!) for the GBG when I was involved in CAMRA a few years back, so I could do it... if I had the time (as always). I might have to magic some time out of thin air... (like ya do!)

In the meantime, get yourselves a copy of the 2009 GBG, so you can get an idea as to what's out there.

It's actually listed on their website now on the menu bit and even says it's suitable for vegans there.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/food-...Category=19782