Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Default Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Quote Risker View Post
    They would, I worked there. (many years ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed).

There was definate fear of god in the manager when he realised what had happend.

Me: "Excuse me, is this lamb?"
    Manager: "Yes"
    Me: "We're vegans"
    Manager: (oh shit!)
    well maybe it wouldn't have been thrown out but it still ends up creating demand for more lamb that wouldn't have otherwise been served up. i'm not criticising or blaming you by the way - i just hate it when i get served something non-vegan by mistake because whatever happens to it afterwards, it's caused a demand for more animal products to replace it. i suppose maybe if the staff ate it, they might not eat much meat later and it ends up making no difference either way

i'm glad the manager took it seriously and treated you with respect, even if it was just out of fear!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Zero

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ I hope it is, this website says yes - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint...ers.html#Coors

I'll ask.
    Coors is indeed vegan.

Company email:
    We are pleased to inform you that we do not use any animal products or derivatives in any of our products.
    Another company email:
    Molson Coors products do not contain any animal ingredients, or animal bi-products; with the exception of Rickard's Honey Brown and Dave's Honey Brown which contain honey. All of our other products are vegan friendly.
    http://www.barnivore.com/beer/Coors

I lived in Colorado for 5 years where the main plant is and I knew vegans there who drank it because it was one of the few beers they knew was vegan.

Quote Zero View Post
    Coors is indeed vegan.
    Don't mean I'll drink it...

I wonder if Coors has made all the beers in the UK that it produces vegan (Carling, Bass, etc)?

Coors took over Bass a few years ago and promptly shut down the visitor centre.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Zero

No one is trying to force you to

I would imagine they have left those other drinks exactly how they are. I don't think I would drink Carling even if it was vegan, from what I remember it tasted quite horrible.

Yup... I remember me and Hemlock were at Download a few years ago (Iron Maiden and Marilyn Manson on the bill) and the only beer available was Carling and I refused to drink it (though it was cheaper than the bottled water, so in desperation, I had a pint and that was it! )
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Quote Corum View Post
    Yup... I remember me and Hemlock were at Download a few years ago (Iron Maiden and Marilyn Manson on the bill) and the only beer available was Carling and I refused to drink it (though it was cheaper than the bottled water, so in desperation, I had a pint and that was it! )
    Now all they have is Tuborg.....
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

i'm pretty sure Carling has never been vegan and still isn't. it was disgusting anyway.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Gets right on my nerves being unable to drink alcohol at Carling music venues.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Buddha Belly

Quote Zero View Post
    Coors is indeed vegan.

http://www.barnivore.com/beer/Coors

I lived in Colorado for 5 years where the main plant is and I knew vegans there who drank it because it was one of the few beers they knew was vegan.

Sorry !!!!
    Good to hear it can be drunk again.

Will be trying out the vegan curry @ wetherspoons tomorrow, so it best be nice!

must get round to trying this sometime

BlackCats

Quote bradders View Post
    must get round to trying this sometime
    Yeah me too, I still haven't tried it!

trying to think what ones are easy to get to from Elm Park, probably the Barking Dog in Barking though Romford has one too I try to avoid Romford and the less than frequent buses that go there.

BlackCats

Quote bradders View Post
    trying to think what ones are easy to get to from Elm Park, probably the Barking Dog in Barking though Romford has one too I try to avoid Romford and the less than frequent buses that go there.
    Yes, I have tried the Barking one and the Romford one is filled with old geezers and yobs so I wouldn't bother!
    I was going to go to the Stepney Green or the Hornchurch one.

There's one in Hornchurch? I might have to have a wander down there.

BlackCats

Yes there is. I have been there many a Friday night. J J Moon's.

I must remember to go there one night.

when i lived in Ilford i sometimes went to the Barking Dog or the one in Ilford (forgotten what it's called... the Moon Over Water maybe?). ahhh memories

i went to the Romford one once and it scared me!

BlackCats

Quote Gorilla View Post
    when i lived in Ilford i sometimes went to the Barking Dog or the one in Ilford (forgotten what it's called... the Moon Over Water maybe?). ahhh memories
    i went to the Romford one once and it scared me!
    Yes I used to go out in Ilford every weekend a couple of years ago.
    Haha, scared of Romford.

Don't find romford scary just a bit unplesent filled as it is with stupid girls and stupider White boys who drive stereos around the place and wear shorts all year round

BlackCats

(Haha, that is true Bradders. Romford is quite bad, I don't find it scary though as I grew up in South East London and it seems really friendly and safe round here compared to living there.)

I think with Wetherspoons it always seems hit and miss, sometimes the service is good but lots of times they don't have what I want. I go to the one in Greenwich by the Cutty Sark sometimes and the barman also has to go and get the food from the kitchen so he does two jobs at once.

^ i love Greenwich but i've never been to the Wetherspoons there, i'll try to remember there's a place to eat there next time i go.

BlackCats

^ Yes there is a health food shop in the market in Greenwich that sells lots of vegan stuff like vegan calzones and sandwiches etc as well. Expensive though!

I go through Greenwich often so maybe I should call in at the market and the weatherspoons sometime

Not bad at all, for a pub curry - where else in the world can you get a not-so-bad vegan curry in a pub??! OK, its no indian restaurant, but if it started off vegan, i don't mind so much that they didn't make it there and then. yey wetherspoons!

I had the Wetherspoons veg curry last week and was rather impressed. Despite the barman telling me it was best I had the naan with it instead of extra poppadums. Silly boy.

Edit to say: They had Westons on offer for £1.50 as well, so I had a grand night! Good ol' Wetherspoons
    Last edited by Frosty; Dec 9th, 2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: C.I.D.E.R.
    I like football. And potatoes.

I had the vegan curry last night rather yummy, my 2 friends ( 1 veggie and 1 omi) had the same and loved it - the member of staff who served me said her sister was vegan and has suggested I get all my vegan friends to email the head office to ask for the curry to go onto the 2 for £6.69 deal as there is nowt for vegans on there.

I went to the William Henry in Weymouth this afternoon with my dad. Had the vegan curry and some Westons cider and was very happy indeed The curry was quite rich and coconutty but I really like it that way. My dad seemed quite impressed that they had something for me too.

Ever so much better than the last time I went there with friends where I had to go through the menu asking about the suitability for vegans of all the veggie meals and they had to get the manager to come and talk to me. Ordered a baked potato with beans (sigh) but they came back and told me they had ran out of potatoes! Then ordered sides of chips and salad and side vegetables but had to send the salad back as it came out with the dressing on even though I made clear at the till I didn't want any of that rubbish on it. The whole ordeal just made me feel like a right pain in the arse haha.

I shall certainly be writing to them to tell them how much I like their vegan curry and will include a suggestion to add it to the 2 for 1 menu.

I had the curry today too, and I hadn't read about it before so finding the word "vegan" on the menu made me quite excited I liked it although as others have said, more curry with it would be good because it's not exactly hugely filling. I'll be emailing them over the next couple of days

treaclemine

Default Email the Vegan today?

Does anyone fancy forwarding their comments about the new vegan curry at Wetherspoon's to the Editor of The Vegan magazine for consideration for publication?

The new Wetherspoon's curry was mentioned in the Editorial of the Winter 2008 issue. A little bird tells me that 'vegan feedback' for the Spring 2009 letter column of The Vegan would be appreciated. It's

editor at vegansociety dot com

and no guarantees your email will be published, but all messages will be read!

ASAP would be good as the copy deadline was apparently last Friday!

treaclemine

I finally had it! In the Wetherspoon's in Solihull whilst we were visiting, The White Swan.

I was very pleased. I think it's a cut above the usual pub curry in quality and value for money. Yes, you can get better vegan curry (in veg*n curry houses) and better value for money (in veg*n cafes?), but in context: impressive.

I will be recommending it generally - not just to vegans!

It would definitely be great to get it included in the meal deals, though.

i tried the curry on Saturday. it tastes good but it's much too spicy for me, my mouth was burning by the time i finished and it was a bit of a struggle to eat it all. admittedly i'm a wuss with spicy food but it's a shame they don't have anything else. i'll have to smuggle in a tub of Alpro yogurt if i want to eat it again.

Zero

The curry was pretty good indeed, luckily I didn't find it too spicy though too many years eating vindaloo and madras in Birmingham I guess.

It was funny when I ordered it though and the lady said with a disheartened look "oh, but we don't have any naan bread so we are doing extra poppadoms instead". She looked surprised when I said "Well thats exactly what we want so no problem".

That was also good because it meant less chance of them bringing it out wrong

They've introduced 5 new meals today at £2.99 each, one of which is spicy tomato pasta and with any luck will be vegan. They haven't added it to their nutritional info pages yet so can't check. Combine that with 99p bottles of San Miguel (is that vegan?) and you've got a nice meal and a couple of drinks for £5.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

that will be good if the pasta dish is vegan. i'm not sure about San Miguel but i think it's ok.

Quote Risker View Post
    They've introduced 5 new meals today at £2.99 each, one of which is spicy tomato pasta and with any luck will be vegan. They haven't added it to their nutritional info pages yet so can't check. Combine that with 99p bottles of San Miguel (is that vegan?) and you've got a nice meal and a couple of drinks for £5.

Fingers crossed Its vegan, nice and cheap that just need the curry to be added to the 2 for £6.69 deal and Its getting good there!

BlackCats

That is good news if the pasta is vegan. I still haven't tried the new curry yet.

I looked on their website and unfortunately the pasta is not vegan. I also noticed they've got a new roast option - Portobello mushroom, chickpea & pumpkin seed roast, which is not vegan either! Surely both of the above could be easily made vegan. Boo hiss!

Buddha Belly

WHAT! Do they cook it in bacon fat?????? Why the rubbery f**k is that not vegan? They must have a back room team looking at how to make things fit for omnis only.

Zero

It just seems to come down to what they can get cheapest from their suppliers generally, and it usually ends up being animal product laden stuff unfortunately

At least there's the curry though.

Buddha Belly

Our local one gave out vouchers for two curries for £7.49. We will use them this weekend. Is the Greene King IPA vegan
    Last edited by Buddha Belly; Jan 6th, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add last bit!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    WHAT! Do they cook it in bacon fat?????? Why the rubbery f**k is that not vegan? They must have a back room team looking at how to make things fit for omnis only.

Am guessing that it's egg pasta & the roast is bound with egg, neither of which are necessary. Rubbish aint it!

wetherspoons need to get their thinking caps on, if they catered for us bunch of alcies we'd be there all the time spending a wad
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote bradders View Post
    wetherspoons need to get their thinking caps on, if they catered for us bunch of alcies we'd be there all the time spending a wad
    So true, these days I just run in to neck a few glasses of wine, then I'm off to get a decent fresh curry or Thai for the same price as their microwaved version

Quote KayJay View Post
    I looked on their website and unfortunately the pasta is not vegan.
    Where does it say that? It's still not listed on the nutritional info pages.

If their nutritional info about the nut roast is correct it contains both egg and milk.

Quote Risker View Post
    Where does it say that? It's still not listed on the nutritional info pages.

If their nutritional info about the nut roast is correct it contains both egg and milk.

On the website I did a search under the vegan diet options & it's not listed. If it's new I guess that it may not be listed yet, but the spirale pasta isn't vegan - may be worth an email?

Yeah, it's just not been added yet since it doesn't even come up if you select vegetarian (which it's marked as) so there's still hope left.

I emailed them yesterday but no response yet.

My apologies yes there is a spicy tomato pasta - I just looked again and it's an option on their "new deal" menu. Fingers crossed then Risker, let us know when you get a reply )

Zero

It probably won't be egg pasta, durum wheat pasta is much cheaper so since they are selling it for £2.99 I would imagine it will be the cheapest pasta around. It is the sauce I would worry about, hopefully it won't contain milk.

Hope you get a good response Risker

helen105281

Buddha Belly and I went to the Wetherspoons in Letchworth today as we had a voucher for BOGOF on the curry. We ordered with extra poppadoms and after a while they came over and told us there were no poppadoms and so we said we would have extra rice instead. When the curry came first of all I had naan on my plate and then we noticed that it was chicken curry (luckily we noticed before we started to eat). They then told us that the currys were actually someone elses which we did not believe as they came with the extra rice we asked for. They then offered us a lamb samosa instead of the poppadoms even after we had said why we did not want to eat the chicken curry!!! In the end our curries came with free onion bajis but were still on the same plate as mine still had a mark on it from the Naan and Ross had some of the sauce from the chicken curry under his bowl of vegan curry!!!! We have made a complaint. Curry was nice though.