Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Default Re: J D Wetherspoon Pubs

from earlier in the thread, might be out of date now though:

Quote EFCliz View Post
    Also, they have some vegan wines. The only one that is available in all pubs is the Fetzer Syrah Rose. In some pubs they have Macon Lugny Jadot, Etchart Malbec and Bonterra Chardonnay. Also all of their champagnes are vegan.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Cheers, gorillaish one
    I like football. And potatoes.

We just tried the pasta, didn't think much of it. It was obviously reheated in the microwave so alot of the pasta was overcooked and bits of it were chewy and hard. It was also a bit sweet for my liking.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    We just tried the pasta, didn't think much of it. It was obviously reheated in the microwave
    isn't all their food? i imagine that wouldn't work too well with pasta.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

the majority of food dishes in he majority of venues is microwaved (after first being prepared normally in the factory) there are a few exceptions such as the Waterhouse in Manchester where more is cooked on grills, in pans, properly.
    Generally it comes to the pub in tuppaware (often pre assembled meals upside down) where the lid is loosened it's bunged in the microwave and zapped, lid taken off plate shoved on to and it's flipped over. Then it's ready to serve. Though some things come in sachets and have to be assembled. The same goes for food in many of the spirit group venues too.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I tried the pasta and had a side salad with it...no dressing! It was ok for a cheap snack!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Went to The Counting House in Glasgow for the curry night tonight. We ordered the feast for 2 which comes with 2 curries, bombay potatoes, vegetable samosas and onion bhajis. I took a bite out of the 'vegetable samosas' and they were LAMB samosas. I had swallowed half the damn thing before I looked at it and realised. I'm beginning to get a little pissed off with Wetherspoons and their constant mistakes. You think they would have known considering we ordered 2 vegan curries. Bleh

Risker, I feel your pain. I only got apologies. You got a free meal. I must get meaner

I had the curry on Friday last week at the Moon on the Hill in Harrow on Friday, it was pretty damn nice I have to say, no problems at all.

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Risker, I feel your pain. I only got apologies. You got a free meal. I must get meaner
    Nah, I was nice as pie I think I was just lucky to have happened to have told the manager. You should complain on the website. I wouldn't be happy with just an apology and complaining through the website means that they'll hear from their area manager about it and you'll probably get some vouchers.

Quote jimmeh View Post
    I've heard more bad things from Counting House, not just vegan related. They have poor service in general, and noone seems to give a damn there - not the best Wetherspoons pub ever

Hope you get some sort of compensation if you complain more!

OK, I'm new here, but I stumbled across this thread when I was trying to find out whether or not the Wetherspoons burger was still vegan or not, having had conflicting reports. As we all know, it isn't as they've added cheese to it.

In the April/May edition of Wetherspoon News (their magazine) that I picked up in one of their pubs, there was a full page article about the new burger and the woman whose idea it was - Leyla Edwards, who designs all the veggie food. It pointed out that she wasn't vegetarian herself, which I figured explained a lot. She spoke of how she wanted to make the vegetarian food appealing to non veggies, which is fair enough, and how she'd decided to add cheese to the burger as it added moistness, improved the texture and added extra protein. This for a burger composed mainly of lentils, hardly in need of protein.

The article annoyed me. There wasn't a single word about how they'd made the burger unsuitable for vegans by doing all this, just exhortations to veggie and non-veggie customers to give the burger a try. So I figured I'd write to them, especially as they pay £20 for each letter published in their magazine. I composed a letter and, quite politely, pointed out that the redesign of the burger hadn't been quite the unqualified success the article was painting it as, that it had effectively excluded all vegans from eating this meal, that whilst they were quite right to try to encourage non-veggies to eat the vegetarian food, realistically the majority of consumers of their vegetarian options are always going to be vegetarian and they'd just stopped a large percentage of that market (vegans) from eating it. I questioned the idea of having a non-vegetarian in charge of developing vegetarian food and suggested that maybe they should be making their food more inclusive for vegans, not less - the Sunday Roast and their veggie sosages could do with being veganised.

Anyway I posted it, not really expecting much to happen (when I sent them a similar e-mail a few months ago, they never replied), but they did send me a reply. They said they were sorry to note my disappointment re the burger and lack of vegan options and that they'd passed my comments to the Catering Development team "for information and review for future menu re-launches."

This is basically a bit of a brush off, but at least they responded. So I think it might be a good idea if anyone with the time goes to their local Wetherspoons, picks up a copy of their magazine, reads the article, composes their own letter and sends it to the letters page. If they receive a lot of letters about this, they may realise they've made a mistake and perhaps change it back. Who knows, maybe they'll even veganise the Sunday Roast and their veggie sosages also.

And they pay £20 to anyone who gets a letter published in the magazine. Worth a go.

Just so you all know, the curry that the vegan community worked so hard to get on the menu is being taken off due to the fact that they are not selling enough. This is an attempt by Whetherspoons to streamline their menu. I can't give you physical proof or a detailed 500 page essay as I know you will demand, however five of my close friends work at Whetherspoons and told me that the curry is being taken off in the comming weeks as well as many other items that most of us would like to see abolished for good anyway.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

As you'd probably have guessed, I'm one of those that would want more proof than word of mouth.

BlackCats

How annoying about taking the vegan curry off the menu. I have asked for that curry in quite a few pubs but they always say they don't have it in stock. I think I have only tried it once.

Is one of the other curries they do vegan?

Buddha Belly

I don't thin so. The other veggies ones had cream in i think. Boo to Weatherspoons if it does go as it was always an option for lunch.
    Emzy normally has the Weatherspoon stuff down perfect.

They had been out of stock the last 2 times Ive been in - not good if the curry goes as Its one place apart from pizza express near to me I know I can eat at with non vegan friends.

Il email them but doubt it will do much good wonder if the curry would of been more popular if It had been added to the 2 for 1 offer?

So back to boring jacket potato and beans at the spoons then

Quote alisont View Post

So back to boring jacket potato and beans at the spoons then
    Don't forget the spicy tomato pasta!

Quote Risker View Post
    As you'd probably have guessed, I'm one of those that would want more proof than word of mouth.
    I can't prove it....cept when they take it off he menu!!!!!

treaclemine

I spoke to someone at J D Wetherspoon's head office on the phone just a few weeks ago, and I was told that the curry in question is NOT being discontinued.

JDW are about to bring out a spring menu - perhaps this is the cause of the rumour?

I was told the sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry WILL still be available, and in a vegan version.

My friends have been told specifically that it is to be taken off. We shall see what time brings.

treaclemine

Do your five friends all work at the same J D Wetherspoon pub? Or have they been told independently at different pubs?

It would also be helpful, given that they are getting specific information, if they could find out the date when the revised Summer 2009 menu is due to be launched?

Anyone fancy contacting J D Wetherspoon Customer Service about this? If the vegan option is about to be removed, maybe there's time to change their minds:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/feedback/other/

"Our Customer Service team is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on 01923 477774."

This is the public statement they just made about the vegan dish:

http://www.vegansociety.com/newsroom...get-vegan.html

They all work at the same one in Luton. I'll see if I can get a pic of the new menu and put it up. I'm going there tomorrow.

treaclemine

OK - fingers crossed. Even if you can't get a picture, a report back would be gratefully received e.g. is the new menu out, does it have our lovely curry on it still

I finally got to try the curry a couple of days ago. I wasn't very impressed! For the price and portion size, flavours... brilliant to see 'vegan' on the menu and a useful last resort, but I'll stick to actual curry houses!

they have also been known to do bottles of vegan wine for £4.50! per ml of alcohol that's cheaper than beer in a sam smith's pub!

treaclemine

Quote Troutina View Post
    I finally got to try the curry a couple of days ago. I wasn't very impressed! For the price and portion size, flavours... brilliant to see 'vegan' on the menu and a useful last resort, but I'll stick to actual curry houses!
    Troutina, I don't think anyone has been suggesting that J D Wetherspoon's is a top choice for curry.

If you want better, more affordable vegan curry, of course there are better options for restaurants - if you have the time and opportunity to seek out those other places.

The good things about J D Wetherspoon's curry for me are that it is widely available, clearly marked on a mainstream menu, and good and affordable by the standards of _pub_ food.

I do hope that it is still on their menu!

Just had the new menu emailed and yes the spinach and chick pea curry is still there (and listed as vegan without the nann bread) the spicy pasta is still there.

Says 'new' in the veggie burger section - I bet Its still the burger with cheese in but will ask next time Im in.

So glad the curry is still there as Im going to a Wetherspoons Sat eve for a meal with all non veggies/vegans so am glad I can still get a meal!

The burger has both egg and milk in it according to their nutritional info.

The jacket potato with beans is listed as not vegan... I thought it was probably because they give you a little individual butter with it. But it's listed as having EGG and milk in

they might coat the potato in an egg mix but it may be worth asking at the individual pub

Probably to do with the dressing that comes on the salad.

yeh that could do it too

Quote Risker View Post
    Ahh... I didn't think of that

Quote Risker View Post
    I talked to one of the managers at Stafford Wetherspoon's, who was very helpful and knowledgable, and he informed me that it was due to the dressing. It wouldn't be so bad, if the staff remembered to leave the dressing off when you asked!
    I like football. And potatoes.

Just posting the current vegan list to have something to compare against in future.

CHILDRENS----Baked Beans
    CHILDRENS----Banana
    CHILDRENS----Orange
    CHILDRENS----Peas
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Bombay Potatoes
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry with extra Poppadums
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Vegetable Samosas
    DELI----Portion Of Chips
    MAIN MEALS----Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry with Extra Poppadums (no naan)
    SIDES----Bowl of Chips
    SIDES----Side Salad without Dressing
    STARTERS & SHARERS----Organic Tomato & Basil Soup without Bread and Butter
    SUNDAY CLUB----Roast Potatoes
    SUNDAY CLUB----Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
    VALUE MEALS----Spicy Tomato Pasta

my mum dragged me into a wetherspoons today just to show me the menu and say "look now there's a vegan option!" i would have been more impressed if she bought me a pint while we were at it!

Went to a Wetherspoons tonight and they didn't have any chickpea curry, but they did have a new one - aubergine and spinach dhansak with poppadums and mango chutney. It's not on the main menu, but it's available on Thursdays for curry night. So, we now have two options labelled vegan on the menu yay!

Yay It's on their online menu too.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/resou...-club-menu.pdf

Sounds good another curry thats vegan

Is is only available on curry night or all the time?

Can see Il have to be organised and take some soya yoghurt as it has 3 chilli signs by the new one compared to 2 on the chick pea one and I find that spicy!

Quote alisont View Post
    Sounds good another curry thats vegan

Is is only available on curry night or all the time?

Can see Il have to be organised and take some soya yoghurt as it has 3 chilli signs by the new one compared to 2 on the chick pea one and I find that spicy!
    It wasn't too hot actually. I think it's only on the Thursday curry night, I only got it on Tuesday because they didn't have any chickpea curry left.

awesome! i had the chickpea curry on curry night with my boyfriend, who spent the whole night being gutted he got lamb cos mine was way nicer. mwahahahahaha. vegan victory!

woo, vegan victory, omni fail

Just tried the new Aubergine & spinach dhansak, tastes quite similar to the other curry and I don't think it's any spicier even though it says it is on the menu.

well it's good that there's more of an option as it's a place I often end up with omnis

I finally managed to have the sweet potato curry in a Wetherspoon's pub (the time before when I tried they'd run out) and it was fine - not spectacular but fine. So that's a good standby as there are Wetherspoonses all over the place (this was a 15th century half-timbered one in King's Lynn!).

Mousee!!

had the curry. im dissapointed in myself for even thinking of going into the dump. rubbish.

I love the curry personally! And there are a few new vegan options on the menu now too.. some roasted vegetable stuff, which sounds nice:

CHILDRENS----Happy Monkey Strawberry & Banana Smoothie
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Bombay Potatoes
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Large Onion Bhajis
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Poppadums & Mango chutney
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry with extra Poppadums
    CURRY CLUB (THURSDAYS)----Vegetable Samosas
    DELI----Houmous and Roasted Vegetables - Flatbread
    DELI----Portion Of Chips
    JACKET POTATOES----Jacket Potato and Baked Beans without butter and salad dressing
    JACKET POTATOES----Jacket Potato and Roasted Vegetables without butter and salad dressing
    MAIN MEALS----Red Onion Marmalade
    MAIN MEALS----Reggae Reggae Tomato sauce
    MAIN MEALS----Roasted Vegetable, Chickpea and Couscous Salad
    MAIN MEALS----Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry with Extra Poppadums (no naan)
    SIDES----Bowl of Chips
    SIDES----Side Salad without Dressing
    STARTERS & SHARERS----Organic Tomato & Basil Soup without Bread and Butter
    STEAK CLUB (TUESDAYS)----Red Onion Marmalade
    STEAK CLUB (TUESDAYS)----Reggae Reggae Sauce
    SUNDAY CLUB----Sage & Onion Stuffing Balls
    http://www.rfbrookes.co.uk/Web/FoodF...splay?OpenForm

I know drinks have been mentioned before a bit in this thread, but I was just wondering if someone could help me with some up-to-date info regarding which drinks - specifically wines and ciders (I hate beer) - are vegan in Wetherspoons? I don't drink wine or cider, but I've been getting stomach pains when drinking my usual spirits & mixers, cocktails, alcopops etc which is apparently down to the combination of sugar and alcohol.. so I'm looking to try something new next time I'm on a night out. Ther wine menu can be found here & their beer/cider menu is here - I'd appreciate any help so much! I usually look into these things myself but the world of vegan alcohol confuses me so much

thanks xxx

Quote herbivorous bex View Post

I know drinks have been mentioned before a bit in this thread, but I was just wondering if someone could help me with some up-to-date info regarding which drinks - specifically wines and ciders (I hate beer) - are vegan in Wetherspoons?...
    The Westons cider and perry are vegan. I've also noticed Gwynt y Draig (Black Dragon) ciders in some Wetherspoons (in Cardiff, so I'm not sure they do it outside Wales, but worth looking), which are marked vegan on the bottle and very nice
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple