Thread: Hungry!!!

Default Hungry!!!

hi, im new to this vegan thing. maybe about 2 or 3 months at the most but ive been a vegetarian for a much longer time. probably about 2 or so years. anyway, ive always been an unbelievably healthy eater but my problem is that i eat ALOT! i dont know if its because its winter time or if its because im not used to the vegan thing but im really afraid of gaining weight because ive heard people talk about how vegans get fat. i dont know if thats true or not but it wouldnt stop me from being vegan, however maybe you guys know of some things that might work. i eat grape nuts cereal with sesame seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, raisins and a little chocolate soy milk for breakfast, but i eat alot of starches i think. i eat alot of vegan sushi because im obsessed. plus there is this vegan asian restaurant near my campus and its delicious so i cannot help myself sometimes. i snack on alot of veggies and fruits but also nuts. i guess my biggest concern is that of the sushi. i just had 8 pieces as just a snack. maybe its stress? can somebody reassure me please lol?

Default Re: Hungry!!!

Why don't you post a typical day's menu? Then we'll have a better idea of what you eat and can advise you better. Although everyones' bodies are different and dietary needs depend on so many factors. So don't actually say whether or not you've gained weight - try keeping a note of your weight then you'll see for yourself. Remember too that as a vegan you should be eating a large variety of veggies, fruits and legumes - substituting some of your starches (if this is what you need to do) with these will add bulk without piling on the weight.

ok, well my day so far today, its pretty much the same every day.

Breakfast: 1/2 a cup of grape nuts cereal with sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, raisins and walnuts (all one teaspoon each) and some chocolate soy milk
    Snack: 8 pieces of sushi (veggie roll)
    Lunch: Edemame and this other type of sushi i forgot how its called but its like fried beancurd wrap of some with rice on the inside and its slightly sweet. DELICIOUS i also had some naked juice
    Dinner: im not sure yet because i have an evening class that i get out of at like 9:30 so i dont know if wanna eat that late, although i probably will because ill probably be hungry and if so ill probably have a salad and during my evening class ill probably have an odwalla bar and an energy drink

i feel like my meal plan is overall very healthy (aside from the energy drink but i dont usually have that.) but i feel like its alot of food and im still always experiencing this insatiable hunger.

That honestly doesn't appear to be a lot of food. Sometimes hunger can be satisfied better by including more protein in your diet.

Quote scandalaxic View Post
    ive heard people talk about how vegans get fat.
    This is really odd to me, I've never heard anyone say that vegans get fat, in fact the general consensus of everyone I've heard talking about vegans is that we are meant to be skinny!

As to the diet you posted, as roxy said that really doesn't seem to be alot to me, I would eat more myself.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

well i eat alot of nuts, so i think i eat alot of calories. i dont know why it seems like i eat little but i dont think i do. in my salads i always add almonds and sunflower seeds and olive oil vinaigrette dressing to them so i think the calories definitely add up in the end. but this is very reassuring so thank you!

I've been having the same problem lately.. ridiculously hungry despite feeling like I'm eating too much. It's helped to make sure I'm always drinking water. Keeps you feeling full between meals so you're not as likely to snack on another handful of almonds or energy drinks. Try something a little heartier for breakfast like oatmeal and fruit, this keeps me going a lot longer than cold cereal.

Like others have said, it doesn't sound to me like you're eating too much, there are many a days when I eat more than what you mentioned. Sometimes it helps too if you eat more often but have smaller portions. I have to do this because my intestines are getting revenge on me for something I'm unaware of, but it could help you too.. Then you wouldn't feel compelled to empty the sushi restaurant in one go... lol.

Good luck!

your eating doesn't sound like it's too much (as others have said already) and you seem to get a lot of good stuff in your menu...like nuts. i wouldn't worry about eating too many nuts. they're a good source of protein and other nutrients, and they contain healthy fats that are good for you and necessary for you body to function well. you seem to be eating fruits and veggies too, so i think you're fine.

if i were you i'd try increasing how much i eat a little bit, so that i feel satisfied and then monitor how it's affecting my weight. your body needs more calories for energy during the winter to keep you warm.

oh, and is sushi bad for you? it has veggies and rice in it, so that doesn't seem bad, but i don't know if they use a lot of oil in the rice or something? does anyone know?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

thanks for your replies everyone, to answer your question dancingwillow, im almost positive that there is no oil used in sushi. i think its really good for you but i think living with a sister obsessed with diets for the past 18 years, (im just now on my own) has made me a little more cautious of certain things. she always used to say not to eat white rice, or too much rice and she always counted her calories. im sort of a believer that if you eat healthy food, even if its alot, you should at least maintain, if not lose, weight. she always had a cut off line but didnt necessary eat the most healthy of foods, plus shes a carnivor. anyway, i feel lucky because i can say with complete confidence that when i get hungry and i want a snack, it will most likely be a healthy one. but for instance yesterday when i got back from my class, during which i had an odwalla bar and an adrenaline drink, i had a salad, with nuts and dressing and then i couldnt stop eating broccoli (yes, i absolutely LOVE broccoli) until i was pretty damn full lol. im thinking it is a better idea to have oatmeal like you suggested sarah, because ive notices with the grape nuts that i do get really hungry sooner, even though they seem really good for you, they dont satisfy. once again i appreciate all the responses. cheers!

some sushi contain a bit of refined sugar. it's not huge amounts, though. when i make sushi for two, i add at the most three teaspoons. that's not bad.. but i guess you could be unlucky, to eat a place where they use a lot. some places don't use sugar at all, some do.. guess it's not that big of a concern to me.

Good sperm

If you eat a diet high in fibre, eat only wholegrains and unrefined sugars and drink 2-3 litres of water a day you will only be hungry if your body needs the fuel. The reason I specify the above is that by eating this way you eliminate cravings, dips in blood sugar level and thirst that can make you feel hungry.

When I went vegan after being veggie for many years, I ate loads and was often hungry. It all settled down after a while though, now I have hungry, eat lots days (especially when it's cold) but also not so hungry days. When I'm feeling very hungry, I eat lots of (mainly wholewheat) bread and pasta. Carbs are good for filling you up.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

i've been feeling exactly this the last few days..insatiably hungry and almost weak in my limbs. i do have quite an active job though and i'm on the go from waking, so maybe underestimate how much i'm dashing about and how much food i need.
    yesterday i ate a big tea and then after about half an hour still had the gnawing belly feeling.

ive felt the same today and recognise that i think it is a bit carbohydrate need based..almost like comfort eating. so i toasted a bagel and ate some dates and was secretly pleased that all my cupboards contain super healthy stuff otherwise i reckon i might've been on for a bit of a binge scoff session

Quote scandalaxic View Post
    she always used to say not to eat white rice, or too much rice and she always counted her calories.
    I see a dietician, and I told her that I tend to avoid refined grains and eat whole grains. So, instead of white rice I eat brown. BUT, she said that I get PLENTY of fiber in my diet (which you probably do too if you eat lots of fruits/veggies) and so some refines carbs are perfectly fine. So, I wouldn't worry about the white rice.

Default Always hungry....

I am recovering from anorexia (have been eating a higher calorie diet for at least a year) but am still at a lower weight/BMI than what is healthy. What I find disconcerting is that even after eating big meals and lots of snacks is that I am still hungry. I am mentally hungry but also my stomach will rumble as though it hasn't been fed at all!

Could this be due to the fact that I am still underweight? Can hunger levels correspond to your weight? Could this constant hunger be resolved once I put on a bit more weight?
    vegan and proud.

Josef

Default Re: Always hungry....

i find that the more i eat, the larger the meals, the hungrier i am. fucks up your insulin resistance and tricks your body somehow. i say eat as much as you want, but gradually. graze.

For the whole year that you've been eating a higher calorie diet, you've felt hungry? Or you've been recently feeling always hungry? When you were on a lower calorie diet, were you less hungry?

Personally, I find that the more I eat throughout the day, the more I want to eat. It also depends on what I eat, as some foods are more filling than others. My level of activity also makes a difference.

What sort of food do you mostly eat? Do you find that some foods are more filling to you than other foods?

You may just have to eat even more. Sometimes it takes a while for the body to figure out how best to use the calories its getting.

Can you post an example of what you eat in a day? You say snacks but what are you actually eating? If you're eating slow release carbs (wholemeal bread, for example) these should keep you feeling full for longer, whereas if you eat junk food (yes, vegan junk food does exist! - chocolate for example) you'll feel the hunger pangs again shortly after.
    Are you sure you're eating enough carbs (and the right kind?)

Another thing to consider are foods high in "good" fats - nuts, seeds, avocadoes. Let us know how you get on...

B: Grape Nuts and apple.

S: Two biscuits and a piece of fruit (pear/apple)

L: Sandwich (seeded bread and some Redwoods Cheatin' slices) and fruit (as above)

S: Two biscuits and a piece of fruit.

D: Falafel and salad/vegetable chilli and rice/vegetable and bean casserole/veggie sausages and salad.
    And a piece of fruit.

S: Bowl of Grape Nuts with unsweetened soya milk & punnet of blueberries/raspberries/blackberries & four biscuits.

(The biscuits are wholegrain - Hovis crackers, Hovis digestives, Nairns oat biscuits, HobNobs Light, organic digestive biscuits.....not ones with chocolate)

I estimate it to be about 1600/1700 calories (I'm not counting anymore - thankfully I've got myself out of that obsession!)
    vegan and proud.

how long have you been feeling like this? it could be because your body's no longer in starvation mode, so it's actually telling you you need to be eating plenty. it might pass after you've been eating normally for a while.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've been feeling like this for a long, long time. I really hope it'll pass because its mentally unnerving (it makes me think I might binge) but I've been eating a normal amount of food for a considerable time and its been 2+ years since I was starving myself...

Grrrr.
    vegan and proud.

I think it's just your body telling you that you could still do with putting on weight. 1600-1700 calories isn't really very much at all so your body probably wants you to eat more. I'm trying to recover from anorexia too and sometimes I feel inexplicably hungry too. These sort of things really are unnerving.. but I think its just our bodies sorting themselves out after a lot of abuse.x

Sounds like you are eating healthy (unless the portions are extra small)?
    You could try replacing the biscuits with dried fruit and nuts (brazils, almonds, raisins, pecans etc), to give a more sustained energy release.
    Also some soya cheezes and ice creams if you can handle that idea?

Just to check you are not any any kind of steroid treatment, such as for asthma? These give a false appetite- make you feel hungry all the time.
    In fact, if you are on any medication at all check with the pharmacist for this sort of side effect.
    It sounds like you are doing well Lauren!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Brand new vegan and always hungry!

Hello everyone! I am a brand spanking new vegan... literally I've only been one for one week. I feel really great that I finally took the plunge and decided to remove all animal products from my diet and life, however, I just feel like I am always hungry. I am being very careful to make sure I have a very balanced diet. I did not slowly transition into being a vegan, I just went cold turkey, so I am wondering if there is any type of adjustment period? Is my body going through some type of withdrawl?

Here is what I ate yesterday-

Breakfast- Oatmeal with peanut butter, agave nectar, and sliced banana with a glass of light soymilk.

Lunch- salad with chopped romaine, chopped spinach, diced tomato and avocado, corn, and edamame with light balsamic dressing (some of it I put into a lavash wrap), and an avocado cucumber roll (impulse buy at Whole Foods)

Snacks (scattered throughout the day)- grapes, carrots with peanut butter, popcorn sprinkled with nutritional yeast

Dinner- veggie and tofu stir fry with sesame oil, then about an hour later I had a soup with marsala wine, mushrooms, potatoes, and onions.

Dessert- a So Delicious mini coconut milk "ice cream" sandwich (they weren't lying, it IS so delicious

Can you see anything that my menu is lacking? Should I eat more protein? Fat? Carbs? I haven't really been tracking and counting how much of fat, protein, and carbs I am eating but I am thinking maybe I should start. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 17th, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Quote danigirl View Post
    Hello everyone! I am a brand spanking new vegan... literally I've only been one for one week. I feel really great that I finally took the plunge and decided to remove all animal products from my diet and life, however, I just feel like I am always hungry. I am being very careful to make sure I have a very balanced diet. I did not slowly transition into being a vegan, I just went cold turkey, so I am wondering if there is any type of adjustment period? Is my body going through some type of withdrawl?

Here is what I ate yesterday-

Breakfast- Oatmeal with peanut butter, agave nectar, and sliced banana with a glass of light soymilk.

Lunch- salad with chopped romaine, chopped spinach, diced tomato and avocado, corn, and edamame with light balsamic dressing (some of it I put into a lavash wrap), and an avocado cucumber roll (impulse buy at Whole Foods)

Snacks (scattered throughout the day)- grapes, carrots with peanut butter, popcorn sprinkled with nutritional yeast

Dinner- veggie and tofu stir fry with sesame oil, then about an hour later I had a soup with marsala wine, mushrooms, potatoes, and onions.

Dessert- a So Delicious mini coconut milk "ice cream" sandwich (they weren't lying, it IS so delicious

Can you see anything that my menu is lacking? Should I eat more protein? Fat? Carbs? I haven't really been tracking and counting how much of fat, protein, and carbs I am eating but I am thinking maybe I should start. Thanks in advance!
    Hi Danigirl, by the looks of it your diet is quite good and varied. If you are feeling hungry it could be because plant foods have more fibre than animal products so you feel like you're eating the same amount of food as you did pre-vegan but are getting fewer calories. I find its best to eat more small meals thoughout the day rather than stick to only 3 meals a day, you won't feel as hungry.
    Houmous atá ann!

Congratulations on going vegan danigirl!

Maybe you could try eating some more wholegrains in the form of wholegrain bread and pasta, brown basmati rice, millet and stuff like that? Also use oatmeal that's not too highly processed? Processed carbohydrates (and also things like potatoes) burn up quite fast and leave you feeling hungry whereas wholegrain ones take longer.

Thanks guys!

Blueberries- I think I am going to try to eat more smaller meals so I can spread it out more. I also think I am going to track how many grams of fat, protein, and carbs I am eating and try to adjust what I am lacking, if I am even lacking anything.

Harpy- I actually do eat a lot of "brown" grains and only occasionally have white ones, even before I became vegan. I eat the quick oats that come in the big tube container, NOT the pre-made sugar laden Quaker ones... yuck lol.

You could try the "slow" (i.e. traditional and not pre-cooked) oats for breakfast as they have a lower glycemic index so should keep you going for longer- I don't think they take too long to cook if you soak them overnight. However I have read a couple of things saying it doesn't make all that much difference.

Hope you find something that helps. I find having a few (unsalted) nuts with virtually any meal or snack makes it more satisfying

I feel like my body is slowly starting to get used to it. These past two days I wasn't as hungry as I was last week. I definitely think eating every couple hours helps a lot.