Thread: Colonics

Default Colonics

Any good? Any recommendations? Any horror stories?

Thinking of giving it a bash, fed up with bowel related symptoms. Don't know much about it though. Would love to hear peoples experiences

Default Re: Colonics

What nobody at all?

leedsveg

Hi Purple

Maybe people are a bit shy, or maybe their comments are still in the pipeline.

To be serious though, although I've not had hydrotherapy, I've had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and as with all invasive procedures in that area, there is a possibility of the colon being perforated, which can cause very serious problems. I should check on Google to see what other people's good/bad experiences are, before committing yourself.

leedsveg:smile:

Yeah I've heard mixed things on the net, and claims about it's effectiveness and no solid scientific evidence etc, which pretty much put me off

Sorry to be boring but have you checked with a doc about your bowel related symptoms Purple?

I think one's intestines are quite good at keeping themselves "clean" without being artificially washed out so I don't see that colonic irrigation has any real function. (But I know some people are keen - no accounting for tastes )

BlackCats

My friend had this done a few years ago when she was doing her Reiki training and she had to do a diet cleanse so she had a colonic alongside it but I can't remember what she said about it. It was nothing negative though.

I agree with Harpy and maybe check with your GP. You could also keep a food diary to see if certain foods make your problems worse? I know people that have had allergy testing and then had to cut things out of their diet. My other friend found out she was allergic/ intolerant to garlic and felt much better after she eliminated it.

I have heard good things about colonic irrigation though from a health point of view. I don't see that it would do any harm.

Sorry to disagree with m'learned friend BC but there do seem to have been some documented cases of bowel damage from colonic irrigation http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/..._151104-3.html So even if that's rare I would be pretty cautious.

BlackCats

Quote harpy View Post
    Sorry to disagree with m'learned friend BC but there do seem to have been some documented cases of bowel damage from colonic irrigation http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/..._151104-3.html So even if that's rare I would be pretty cautious.
    I have been reading about raw vegan foodists lately and it seems like some of them get colonics done fairly regularly. I suppose just like anything there could be side effects for some people. I have known people to have serious reactions to hair dye and one person I know had almost all her hair fall out after a perm but lots of people do stuff like that without any complications.

I would probably try a colonic myself but yes, probably check with your GP first because it could be IBS or something.

Yes I think with anything like that it's probably important at least to check that the person knows what they're doing - trouble is these alternative things aren't always very well regulated which makes checking harder.

Yeah, thanks for the interesting points of view guys. I'm gonna give it a miss. I pretty much know the two main causes, eating too much too fast, and stress.

Gonna tackle it over the course of the next month or two and see where I am with it. Probiotics a go-go

Good luck! I've heard before that people get sort of addicted to the feeling after having one and keep going back for more.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Maybe people are a bit shy, or maybe their comments are still in the pipeline.
    i know this isn't a particularly useful reply but given what this post is about this response really made me chuckle!

sorry i have no experience with these things so can't offer any advice.i've only ever seen it when that horrid woman Gillian McKeith's been involved!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

leedsveg

I have a younger friend used to be a nurse and is VERY attractive (of course that's beside the point and I'm happily married). We don't meet up very often, but whenever we do, the talk invariably at some stage gets round to me procuring a watering-can and a length of hose-pipe, and she will give me a spot of irrigation.

I know it's not quite the same but I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy some years ago and I was fascinated to see the insides of my colon on the monitor, as the tiny camera went up my jacksie. It was like a journey through a long pink, twisting 'corridor' and not at all uncomfortable. I don't know why though but at one stage in the procedure, the strange thought came into my head "What if a Dalek appears around the next pink corner?!" Maybe I watch too much tv!

lv

I had a series of colonics (three) about a year ago. I noticed a huge difference in the way I felt after the first one - much lighter and more energised, but not as much of a difference after the following two.

The way the irrigation process works is by gently filling your bowel with water to create a slight pressure, which you actively respond to by pushing the water and waste out every few minutes, as if you were on the toilet. This itself is beneficial for some of us, whom need to relearn to use the toilet right away when we first feel we need to, rather than delaying the act until a more convenient time later on.

Although, as with many alternative therapies, there may not be much regulation of the industry, there is a body in Australia (where I had the colonics performed) known as the Australian Colonic Hydrotherapy Association, that attempts to ensure the industry is governed by Australian laws and regulations and administered by qualified therapists. I am sure a similar body exists in the UK, so you could see a therapist whom is a registered member of the association to limit the chance of, for example, the bowel perforation mentioned above.

However, I struggle to understand how such a thing could happen, as the water flow is merely a trickle - not high pressure at all; and I was responsible for inserting the tube myself, not the therapist. It doesn't need to be inserted very far at all and was hardly uncomfortable.

I was advised by my therapist to take probiotics immediately after each session, and I would recommend doing this if you have a colonic. After the third one I had, I think the balance of good and bad bacteria in my system was slightly upset, but it was nothing taking more probiotics didn't fix right away.

"Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends" - George Bernard Shaw

I went here - http://www.sunshinecolonics.co.uk. Your profile says Guildford so probs not too far from you. She's got really good reviews and the lukewarm water goes in slowly.

I had it done twice and was extremely happy with the results. I also have ibs and before I cut out my intolerances I had constipation my whole life. It's nice to clear your system and start again. It wasn't embarassing at all, she goes out of the room whilst you insert the tube and cover yourself with a towel. Then you can watch the results if you wish. At one point on my first go I came over all sick but then it passed within seconds, apparently I'd gotten rid of a toxin from my system. I felt amazing afterwards! My stomach was also really flat afterwards and I felt so fresh and upbeat. I'd get it done again now if I had the money! She also gives nutrition advice but when I said I was a vegan she said there wasn't much advice she could give 'cos I already don't eat what she advises against!