Thread: Drinking Water

wuggy

Lightbulb Drinking Water

Help me, I have such a problem with this! At the moment I drink tap water, but I really don't like the taste, which is very chemical - almost burning sometimes.
    I tried filtering my tap water, but found the taste very bland indeed, also I was concerned having read that the filters themselves can store bacteria.
    I enjoy bottled water, but find the water in glass bottles ridiculously expensive - nearly £2 per litre (and I drink 2 litres most days), and I am not happy about plastic. I worry about anything stored in plastc, and also hate the thought of all the plastic lying around in landfill sites.
    What does everyone else think?

Do you have recycling facilities in your area? I'm lucky in that our city picks up recyclables from households every week, separate from trash. I use bottled water from plastic containers and then recycle the bottles. I don't have any concerns about long storage periods because I drink the water pretty quickly.

There are also companies that sell water coolers and will come to refill them every so often if that is a viable alternative in your area. Hope that helps.

here is a tip: Move to Iceland!

LOL just kidding. But here in Iceland, the tap water is better than many bottled waters, and there is more than enough of that here. It certainly feels good to bathe and shower spring water. IĞm sorry, I have brought this up before, and I like to brag about it... SORRY
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

wuggy

We are crap on recycling here. There are bins for paper and glass at the supermarkets, no collections atall.
    Maybe I should move to Iceland, I hate hot summers - what is the weather actually like there all year round, I am rather ignorant?

You could move to Wandsworth in S. London for slightly better recycling facilities (kerb-side collections) but I can't particularly recommend the water and I think Iceland is probably prettier

I usually drink unfiltered tap water myself but having read a bit in today's "Observer" about the nastiness of the chemicals in it I might have to think again.

wuggy

Local to us, there was a story in the paper about human tissue being leaked into the water supply from a hospital who were fined because of it. I couldn't drink tap water for months afterwards!!!

They sell a bottled water from Iceland and it is pretty good. Probably the same stuff that comes from the tap there. Tap water here is not so good though.

Some of our local supermarkets have big water machines, where you can bring a large plastic container (ours is 11 litres) and fill it up with filtered water. It's quite inexpensive and depending on where we fill ours it costs between $2 and $2.50 Canadian.

Quote Roxy
    Some of our local supermarkets have big water machines, where you can bring a large plastic container (ours is 11 litres) and fill it up with filtered water. It's quite inexpensive and depending on where we fill ours it costs between $2 and $2.50 Canadian.

what a great community idea!

god we have those everywhere. i thought everyone did.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: Drinking Water

has anyone ever heard of or tried water that has been alkalized? the health food store that i go to often has this ionizer. its called Miracle Water. apparently by using electrons the ionizer is able to change regular drinking water in to a ph balanced, alkaline water.

i have to admit i was tempted to buy a bottle, but i wanted to check in to it a bit more because if its complete BS then i would feel like a total idiot!

any input about this?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

It would definately be a miracle if it did anything that normal water doesn't do, except extract money from gullible people.

I love their title - 'The meeting of science and health'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionized_water
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote wuggy View Post
    Help me, I have such a problem with this! At the moment I drink tap water, but I really don't like the taste, which is very chemical - almost burning sometimes.
    I tried filtering my tap water, but found the taste very bland indeed, also I was concerned having read that the filters themselves can store bacteria.
    I enjoy bottled water, but find the water in glass bottles ridiculously expensive - nearly £2 per litre (and I drink 2 litres most days), and I am not happy about plastic. I worry about anything stored in plastc, and also hate the thought of all the plastic lying around in landfill sites.
    What does everyone else think?
    I've never really thought about the taste of tap or filtered water. Water itself doesn't have much of a flavor. You could try adding some lemon juice or something to take the edge off.

Another thing you can do is just get used to the taste of whatever water supply you have. Drink it a lot until it becomes second nature. I did that. Now, in a strange way, I love the taste of water.

But that's just me

~passion

I drink tap water. I tend to find that letting it stand on the side for a little while gets rid of some of the chemical taste.

Recently I realised that whisking the water with little hand frother (the sort people use for making cappuccinos at home) or running it through a wine aerating funnel makes a big difference to to taste. I guess it speeds up the oxidation of the chlorine / Chloramine.

When I remember, I set a little vintage looking timer to an hour, and make sure I drink a glass of water every hour, otherwise I just forget and get headachy.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I can't believe that you only have one expensive bottled water brand.
    Isn't there anything cheaper?

I love water, with the proviso that it has had hops added first!
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

*live*&*let*live

^

You never said where you live OP, if you are in the uk and live in a particularly soft/hard water area there are tablets you can get to put in the drinking water. Alternatively, add a bit of cordial? It must be safe to drink so you may have to 'go with it' unfortunately. If you are in the US, sorry I can't help you!

Orrrr you could have glass bottled water, again costly but nicer? I love the glass bottled stuff, oh just noticed the £ sign in your post so you are from UK then!