Thread: sweet potato/butternut soup???

Default sweet potato/butternut soup???

hi guys! because i've had so many great responses to recipe request in the past...here comes another one! this time i'm after some kind of sweet potato/butternut squash soup if anyone has anything of this sort of thing??
    many thanks, tri

Good sperm

Default Re: sweet potato/butternut soup???

Cut a butternut squash in half, remove seeds and roast, skin side down, until very soft. Meanwhile saute 1 red onion, 2 garlic cloves and about 1/2 inch of grated ginger until soft. Add red lentils and veg stock and cook. Remove squash from oven and once cooled scoop out the flesh and add to the lentil broth. Cook for a further 20 mins and blend.
    You could roast a few sweet potatoes too and add those.

try this one

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10447

and this
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7441

if you use the search function and tap in butternut squash/sweet potato soup, you should be able to find what you need

Here's one of my recipes. Everyone that's tried it so far has loved it.

Spicy Butternut Squash and Peanutbutter Soup

Serves: 4
    Cooking time: 45 mins

Ingredients:
    1 medium butternut squash
    3 large onions
    5 cloves garlic
    1 inch of Ginger
    1 Scotch Bonnet Chilli
    1 Green Chilli
    Olive Oil to fry in
    1 Vegetable Stockcube
    3 tbsp Peanut Butter
    A good chunk of Creamed Coconut

Method:
    Roast the cubed squash until browned and soft.
    Fry the sliced onions in olive oil until soft.
    Add crushed garlic and finely minced chillies to the onions and fry all until softened.
    Add the roast squash to the onions, fry with remaining ingredients for a few minutes.
    Mix the stockcube and grated creamed coconut into a pint or more of hot water. Add the peanut butter and mix well.
    Mix stock into the vegetables. Simmer on a low heat.

Serve with freshly grated black pepper, a side salad and/or fresh baked bread.

Notes:
    This makes a thick warming winter soup and the addition of chillies certainly give it a bite. For a less spicier version omit the scotch bonnet, although this does give the soup a lovely flavour.

For a quick version of this recipe don’t roast the squash just put in straight into the frying onions after several minutes and cook until softened, then proceed as above.
    This soup can be served chunky (roasted squash) or creamed in a liquidiser for the quick version.

Lordy Vegcurry that sounds awesome. Will have to try it. You are a star

Hi. Strangely enough this is one of the soups I make when I can be bothered to cook anything that takes too much effort. It's not really as suffisticated some of the other recipes posted here but it's certainly simple enough for a quick soup. Can be eaten cold or hot too which is always good.

I just cut up one butternut squash (after having scooped out the pulp and seeds) and one swet potato of about the same size (I dont really have the patience for measurements and weights and the like ) into about one inch cubes and put them in a pan with enough water to cover them. Then I let the water boil and then turn it down to a simmer and let them cook until tender (about half an hour)

Meanwhile I briskly fry a couple of onions, a couple of cloves of garlic, and a little bit of fresh giner with about a teaspoon of cumin seeds (I use this mixture in pretty much everything I cook but bugger it, it's bloody tasty). Once the onions have cleared I throw this mixture into the pot with the squash and sweet potato.

Finally I throw in some sweet spices (usually cinnamon and a little coriander, fennel if I have it) to taste, along with a little salt and something spicey (normally a dash of cayenne pepper, but anything if I dont have any left- tends to get used up rather quickly- black pepper will do)

After its all been mixed up I blend it all down and it comes out in a thick creamy soup thats both sweet and spicy and it only just over half an hour if I time everything right.

Hope this helps and you enjoy

PS- Sorry about my really rough directions but when I cook I tend to ignore measurements and instructions and just go for what feels, smells, and tastes right. Hope things aren't too vague for you but it's honestly the best I could manage.

Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup serves 4-6
    • Soften a large, finely chopped onion and stir in a teaspoon of curry powder (I like the hot stuff).
    • Add a butternut squash cut into 2cm chunks, along with 3 peeled, deseeded and chopped tomatoes.
    • Stir in 425ml vegetable stock and season.
    • Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 20-30 mins until squash is soft.
    • Liquidise, return to pan and stir in 400ml coconut milk. Reheat gently.
    • Garnish with chopped spring onions.

I used to eat this a lot! And have served at dinner parties with very good feedback (ie, gimme more!)

I tried this one last night and it was ideal, really tasty!
    (Serves four)

1. Heat 1tsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add one peeled and diced white onion, and two peeled and crushed cloves of garlic. Cook until the onions are soft.
    2. Add in 1tsp of crushed cumin and cook for a further minute.
    3. Add one peeled and cubed sweeet potato, and add 300g peeled and cubed squash. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
    4. Add 1 and 3/4 pints water and 1 veg stock cube. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and squash are soft.
    5. Either mash or blend the mixture, then stir through some fresh, choped coriander.
    Can't live my life with no rhythm or rhyme

JC

My new favourite soup is rosemary and sweet potato, it's absolutely delish! To make it you just sweat onions, garlic, carrots, sweet potato and (lots of) fresh rosemary in a touch of water until soft, add stock and blitz in a blender until smooth. Return to the pan and add any herbs/spices you feel necessary. I like to add salt, pepper and a teaspoon of marmite. Yum!