Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheese

Yogini

Default Sheese

If you live in the U.S. (and maybe Canada - I don't know where all Vegan Essentials ships to), if Vegan Essentials has any left (I think they're sold out of half the flavors) and if you can afford it (10 USD for 8 oz.), order some Sheese. I just received a package of the strong cheddar and it's good. Way better than FYH. Not quite as good as Cheezly, but unlike Cheezly, now available to Yankee Doodles. I ate it sliced on crackers, no melting involved, and found it quite tasty. Very firm, too. Quite nice.

I was going to provide a link, but the URL that appears over the Sheese page is for the homepage. So go to www.veganessentials.com and click "New Products." You'll find it there.

Default Re: Sheese

I'm dying to taste it!

I should buy some!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Thanks Yogini. Looks like they're all sold out now, but next time I put in an order at Vegan Essentials, I'll be sure to order one of those to try.

Oh and they do ship to Canada......I order from them a few times a year.

inkedmiss

Default Isle of Bute Scheese

Has anyone tried this brand and if so is it any good ?

They do lots of varities and I am thinking of trying the cheddar

Default Re: Isle of Bute Scheese

I'd like to try it but I can't find it in Glasgow and the only website I can find it on (www.goodnessdirect.co.uk) requires you buy 6 chilled things at a time. Seeing as that's the only thing I want to try, I don't want 6 incase it's not nice.

Personally I don't like any of the cheeses but my BF buys them. Apparently they have just improved the cheddar but his favourite is the smoked one.

See this thread too.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

inkedmiss

I saw about the smoked one. I was going to try cheddar to use in sauces etc and veg wraps etc.

Purplerose, its the same site I saw it on and I'm going to order a few things and give it a try.

Kevster

I did quite like the smoked one.

I think they are excellent cheese substitutes - I tend to stick to the plain cheddar one, but have tried most of the flavours and they are the best on the market in my opinion.
    I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

And now without hydrogenated fats

Quote Cherry View Post
    And now without hydrogenated fats
    Yes, I was going to mention that... but because of that I don't think they're quite so good! Still, I'd rather not have the hydro's! But, they do have that soya protein isolate or whatever, and as the jury's out on that, I do tend to limit my intake...
    I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

I have only seen them available in Beanfreaks and have tried just two flavours - smoked and a herby one, um, chives I think... it went so fast I can't remember!
    They are nice, better than all the Cheezly range except the melty one

I don't like Scheese, it is far too strong for my liking and I think it tastes nasty. I prefer Redwoods Cheezely, which is milder.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Sheese is amazing! I've tried the mozzarella and mild cheddar kinds, and they're both delicious. At first they tasted a little bit weird... but the taste definitely grows on you. I'd recommend Sheese to everyone. And you can buy it from Vegan Essentials and the Vegan Store (Pangea).

I live in Canada... and I know from several experiences that Pangea and Vegan Essentials both ship to Canada.

sprite1986

I bought some of the Blue Cheese Scheese yesterday, and can honestly say it tastes JUST like it! And it's got the texture of a hard cheese.

I'm happy.

I got sheese yesterday and didn't really like it, it wasnt as bad a cheezly (that nearly made me throw up) It didnt melt on my pizza at all, just turned a weird brown colour. Im going to try it in a toastie tonight, see if it melts any better this time.

is it supposed to melt? i've found there's no point even trying to melt vegan cheese unless it's specifically made for it, like Redwood melting Cheezly, because it'll just go horrible. i hated Scheese last time i tried it and i know they've changed it recently but i'm still not sure about buying it again.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I wouldn't mind trying the new version as it's been reformulated without the dread hydrogenated oils, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

The old version certainly wasn't prone to melting.

It's worth a try Gorilla. I agree that the old version was absolutely disgusting. The new one isn't worth getting excited about (I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy it - let alone order it from anotehr country! ), but it's OK as a change. If I saw it on sale again I'd consider buying it.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote sprite1986 View Post
    I bought some of the Blue Cheese Scheese yesterday, and can honestly say it tastes JUST like it!
    It's been a while since you had cow pus cheese I take it?
    Blue Cheese Scheese just tastes like sick to my palette but your mileage might vary..
    Cheezly is repulsive (and sweet..wtf).

i was never really 'into' cheese before..and i'm not that fussed about vegan cheese..but i haven't tried it and i want to simply for the fact that it's available and i can..but i have to say nowt anyone has said is encouraging me

paul..you especially are putting me right off
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I actually quite like Cheezly now and then but I wouldn't recommend eating it on its own, because the fact that it's not really all that cheese-like is rather noticeable then. It's better with something, or in cooking, I think.

Toast with mashed avocado and then melted Cheezly on top is quite pleasant, esp with a sprinkle of Tabasco.

I think meltable cheezly is pretty good, there's always some in the fridge. I don't think of these things as being direct substitutes, just things with similar tastes and qualities that can be used in similar circumstances. Cheezly isn't fantastic on pizza, but it's great stuffed into the crust with sundried tomatoes.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Yogini

I recently tried the smoked cheddar and gouda Sheeses. I loved the smoked cheddar, but stay away (far away) from the gouda. Not so gooda.

Quote Yogini View Post
    I recently tried the smoked cheddar and gouda Sheeses. I loved the smoked cheddar, but stay away (far away) from the gouda. Not so gooda.
    ha ha. i saw what you did there
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote harpy
    I actually quite like Cheezly now and then but I wouldn't recommend eating it on its own, because the fact that it's not really all that cheese-like is rather noticeable then. It's better with something, or in cooking, I think.
    Quote Mr Flibble
    I don't think of these things as being direct substitutes, just things with similar tastes and qualities that can be used in similar circumstances.
    i have to agree with both of these points.

Quote harpy
    Toast with mashed avocado and then melted Cheezly on top is quite pleasant, esp with a sprinkle of Tabasco.
    Quote Mr Flibble
    Cheezly isn't fantastic on pizza, but it's great stuffed into the crust with sundried tomatoes.
    ooh two great ideas there never made my own pizza dough though, can't imagine i'd be very good at it
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yogini

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I don't think of these things as being direct substitutes, just things with similar tastes and qualities that can be used in similar circumstances.
    I think of most analogues in those terms. I have never encountered a vegan version of an omni food that tasted identical. I hope I don't ruffle feathers here (ha!), but that's why our omni relatives get pissed when we serve tofurkey for thanksgiving. Because it doesn't taste like tukey and that's what they were expecting. We'd be better off to serve something that's tasty without trying to mimic a traditional omni food. Stuff like Sheese and Cheezly has it's place in a vegan meal, but at this point in time, there's just no pretending that they actually taste like cheese or chicken nuggets, or turkey.

I bought the mild cheddar. I hope it tastes good! My mom would freak if she knew how much I payed for it.

I didn't use the sheese in the end for the toastie, I have no idea what im going to use it for!!! What do you all use it for?

Mmm... I'm having Sheese pizza tonight.

sprite1986

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    It's been a while since you had cow pus cheese I take it?
    Blue Cheese Scheese just tastes like sick to my palette but your mileage might vary..

Riiiiight, I am well and truly put off it now.

well, I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like scheese...at least the cheddar flavour anyway, which is the main one I've tried....ok so its not exactly like cheese, but its similar enough. I also like cheezly too...I dont buy either very often because I get really unhealthy with things like that and eat it all really quickly...usually in something, not on its own, but I can do that too. I'm disgusting
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

Yogini

Quote Christina View Post
    I didn't use the sheese in the end for the toastie, I have no idea what im going to use it for!!! What do you all use it for?
    The good ones, like the cheddars, I just eat out of the package. The not so good ones (like gouda) I use up bit by bit in cheese sauces to pour over pasta.

I tried Sheese today! I had the medium cheddar flavour.

I ate it with a savoury scone. I ate it "raw" and warmed in the microwave (not quit melted but turned into a cheese spread).

The texture was nice. I like how it crumbled, like real hard dairy cheeses. I liked how it wasn't rubbery or chewy. The feel in my mouth was very similar to a crumbly hard cheese.

The smell was strongly cheesy. It smelled like an artificial cheese spread product, which is good for me because I liked those things.

It tasted like a cheese spread (Cheese Whiz and Kraft cheddar slices mixed into one). I quite liked it. I wouldn't use Sheese to replace cheese for dairy-eaters because they will know the difference. But if you're a vegan who hasn't had any dairy cheese in at least a year, it should be satisfactory.

Over all I liked this product but I need more taste tests. I will try it "melted" into macaroni and I will try it on top of nachos. It definitely hits the spot for a cheesy craving but it is not a direct substitute.

I made an aubergine and sweet potato bake with tomato sauce and grated cheddar Scheese on top. It was really nice, esp where it mixed in with the tomato sauce. I'd have it again!

I looooove scheese, i generally have a scheese and salad sarnie most days for lunch.
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I love my Sheese. I can't believe people hate it. It's so delicious!

Mmm... Sheese and crackers...

I bought some mozzarella from Beanfreaks in Cardiff this week for the first time, I rather liked it I was a tad sceptical at first - a lot of people I have spoken to have said that dairy-free cheese is quite horrible and one of the things that you can't really replace when moving from veggie to vegan. But I'd definately recommend it. Can't wait to head back and try some more of their varieties. From what I've read here, the smoked might be my next.

I eventually got some of the smoked Sheese and thought it was a considerable improvement on the old Scheese. I still prefer Cheezly but I might try some of the other Sheese flavours when the opportunity arises.

I also bought some cream-cheese style Sheese but ended up throwing most of it away.

We bought some Scheese a few years ago and didn't like it at all... even the dogs turned their noses up at it!

If we're in the mood for "cheese" then it's Tofutti's Creamy Smooth Original on a jacket/baked potato or the Garlic & Herbs one on crispbread or some Redwood's Cheezly Mozzarella grated over a cauliflower and broccoli bake.

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    With the exception of a vegan soft cheese that sadly no longer exists, which I think was made by a company called Kalo, all vegan cheese tastes like sick to me. I've tried almost everyone on the market in the hope of finding something that I like, but so far, no luck. They're obviously pretty popular as they seem to sell quite well and Scheese has been around for years but I really can't acquire the taste for them.

Yes, I used to like the Kallo one as well - Fromsoya?

I don't like to buy the Tofutti "cream cheese" because of the hydrogenated oil, but I think in the US they may have a non-hydrogenated version so no doubt that will come our way eventually. There was supposed to be one made by the same people as Swedish Glace but I never managed to find that.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, it's not essential.

I don't buy the Tofutti stuff very often... at £2.49 a tub it's not something I put in the shopping basket every week. To us, Tofutti Original tastes much like Philly and the Garlic & Herbs like a tamer version of Boursin.

It's all down to individual taste. As my dad used to say, "If we all liked everything then there wouldn't be enough to go around".

Quote ecoanimal View Post
    . . . Scheese has been around for years but I really can't acquire the taste for them.
    Scheese has recently been reformulated (in UK) - I used to hate it but now I quite like it. Although it is quite similar to Cheezly so I suppose if you don't like that you still won't be impressed!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote harpy View Post
    Yes, I used to like the Kallo one as well - Fromsoya?
    Aye, that's the one. My favourite was dill flavoured. I think Kallo still exists (?) but I haven't seen the soft cheese for years.

I've tried the new Scheese Marrers, both the hard and soft versions and still don't like them. They looked quite promising too

i tried the new Sheese and didn't like it either. i didn't think it was similar to Cheezly, which i like.

I bought a tub of Sheese the other day and I think I prefer Tofutti. The two have a very similar taste but Sheese is a bit too salty for me.

i had a free sample of Sheese at the Bristol vegan fayre. it was horrible. i wouldn't even eat it for free.