Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sheese

:)xmas every1!

Default Re: Sheese

hello everyone this is my first post!!

could i get any feedback on Cheezly? they sell it in my local market along with another brand that i only wish i could forget... it left me all scared of knockout cheeses.

thank you!!!

Quote Essie View Post
    hello everyone this is my first post!!

could i get any feedback on Cheezly? they sell it in my local market along with another brand that i only wish i could forget... it left me all scared of knockout cheeses.

thank you!!!
    I'm interested in how this tastes too. I've heard only good things about it. I don't think it's available where I live, but I was wondering if there was any good fake cheese out there. So far, I haven't found one.

I expect you'll both have read back through the earlier messages and seen that opinion is, er, divided on Cheezly and other fake cheeses as well. Some of us hate Cheezly but love Sheese, some of us are the opposite way round, some of us hate all fake cheese and some of us like most of it.

I personally think Cheezly is the best of the ones I've tried but it's not something I would want to eat every day. I also think it's better in cooking (i.e. where something else provides most of the flavour) than eaten on its own.

Will be interested to hear what you both think. (I believe Cheezly is now available in the US from one of the vegan mail order/web companies - yes, here http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...wood-foods.htm)

ETA some people prefer the home-made pseudo cheeses such as those in The Uncheese Cookbook. You'll find threads here about those as well - just search on "uncheese".

Thanks harpy. Yes, I did go back and find the other threads. I probably should have done that first. Always looking for the easy way.

Smile Re: Sheese

I've heard that Tofutti is good...anyone out there tried it? Had this cream cheese stuff that was a bit wallpaper paste like (always think its funny when we say that..anyone ever tried wallpaper paste?) x

I love tofutti!

Zero

To me any vegan cheese only gives a cheese flavor when put it on something, a pizza, a burger, a cracker etc.
    I have always found it just tastes wierd on its own.

I think Sheese is the best one I've tried, especially for variety, I always liked the mozzarella Cheesly though.

Quote drumsgemma83 View Post
    I've heard that Tofutti is good...anyone out there tried it? Had this cream cheese stuff that was a bit wallpaper paste like (always think its funny when we say that..anyone ever tried wallpaper paste?) x

yes.
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

I bought some cheezly today (cheddar and mozzerella) and found that on its own it was indeed a little wierd, quite salty tasting. But on a burger it was fine. Would like to try sheese but haven't found a reliable source for it yet. My local healthfood shop only sells tofutti and cheezly. What cooking do you put it in? Is it worth puting it into a cheese sauce?

JC

i'm really not a fan of sheese. i think it tastes too strong. i thought it sounded really good at first, but i'm much more of a cheezly and tufutti person

Quote drumsgemma83 View Post
    I bought some cheezly today (cheddar and mozzerella) and found that on its own it was indeed a little wierd, quite salty tasting. But on a burger it was fine. Would like to try sheese but haven't found a reliable source for it yet. My local healthfood shop only sells tofutti and cheezly. What cooking do you put it in? Is it worth puting it into a cheese sauce?
    You can make a brilliant sauce that tastes like sick* with the "Blue Cheese" Scheese (Gesundheit!).
    If you like.
    I don't really like Cheezly, it's sweet. BassPixie swears by it.
    Tofutti stuff is nice.

*Which is apparently what blue cheese sauce tastes like..iirc.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I think the essential point is with vegan (?)substitutes for 'omni' foods, "Do I like this item on its own merits, regardless of what it may or may not resemble". I really don't give a flying f@rt if Tofurkey tastes like turkey or not, I can't remember what dead, partially cremated fowl tastes like any more, and I know I will never eat it again. However, I do like the taste and texture of Tofurkey very much as a vegan food and therefore buy it every Christmas from the one and only British supplier.

Like many other foods of its kind Tofurkey is a bona-fide vegan food based on soya and wheat proteins. Wheat protein is a food of very ancient lineage invented, I understand, by vegetarian monks in Tibet several millennia ago. It is therefore just as authentic and 'natural' as bread, another ancient food made from wheat.

Iīve already tasted the different cheese I brought from New York last month, and I must say I love all of them. I already knew out-of-this-world sheese, I hit paradise everytime I try it on a cracker. The snag, its astronomical price:11$!!
    Soy feta, by soy foos, is also great, I take it with salads
    And I also got some melting cheese:Vegan rella, which goes fine with my lasagnas and pasta in general.
    Finally, the parmesan vegan cheese is also to my liking. All in all, ta a lot NYork, for the pleasurable moments Iīm having!

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    You can make a brilliant sauce that tastes like sick* with the "Blue Cheese" Scheese (Gesundheit!).

*Which is apparently what blue cheese sauce tastes like..iirc.
    Sounds delightful

Me too. It is the very BEST vegan cheese!

Tofutii, that is, not Scheese. Scheese is a bit too strong for my taste, unless I'm making a sauce.

I wonder why my first message has been reproduced 4 times?!!

After developing an addiction to sheese at the BVF GF and I have been looking for it locally only to find out that my local health food store just stopped selling it because no one bought it

I could get some from goodness direct but it's a minimum order of 6 chilled items and if you spend under Ģ50 then there's Ģ9.50 P&P.

Would anyone be willing to post me some that I can paypal you for? I'm sure if it went first class it would survive the journey without needing refridgeration.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I would/will If I can find any - only place I know is the health shop in Worcester where Its about Ģ2.75, maybe less? I reckon it would survive the post if Its a cooler day ,I know the Bute island guys post it out to those who cant get it - they told me that at last years BVF! they have even posted to France!

Ive never used paypal to recieve money - need to reset my password again as ive forgotton it

What flavours do you like and how many are you after if I see any?

Thankoo Alison .

We're not really too fussed about what flavour we get, we thought they were all yummy, although I did particularly like the smoked one. We could also send you the payment by cheque or postal order if that would be more convenient for you .

Hi Risker, they definately sell it at my local health food shop in Gloucester! Im happy to send some to you if you cant get it online!

(My first post, hello everyone!!)

Oooh, two offers for Sheese. *Is bowled over by the genorosity of it all*.

(I'm Risker's girlfriend by the way, flying fairy, so that's why I'm replying on his behalf).

Hee Hee can see you getting loads of scheese

My faves the medium cheddar, thats really the only one i like.

If Im in Worcester this Sat Il get you some they have the smoked - if you buy 2 of the same product you get 15% off at Rosemary's health store, saves a bit of money....as the postage is a bit steep possibly?

How many would you want (if i dont go this sat be the following one)

I tend to cut them into 4 and freeze portions - it seems to freeze fine.

I once tried to order that scheese but they said they wouldn't post it over to Northern Ireland!
    I can get it now in a health food shop in Belfast but I don't think it would survive being posted over from here, otherwise I could send some too!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Thanks alisont and flying fairy (and welcome too! such a generous first post!)

I think we'd just want 2 packs, either the cream cheese or the block cheese, we liked them both. If it freezes and defrosts well like you say alisont maybe it would be good to post it when frozen to help it keep in the mail.

I think Enchantress is a bit antsy to get some so the quicker we can get some the better PM me an address (either of you) and I'll send you a cheque. Thanks

cobweb

OMG! - really, i threw some out recently it was so icky, wish i'd asked here first!. Sorry guys. Hope you get some soon.

Risker still not sure where Il be Sat options being Birmingham, Stratford upon Avon, Worcester or Solihull! All have health shops that should stock at least 1 type of Scheeze, I hope!

The creme type isnt as good out of the fridge the solid ones are better, will get you some Sat if I can and can try freezing 1 to see how it travels best, in case of future sends.

Wont get to post til Mon unless im mega organised and take large envelope and sellotape with me! but then out of fridge over Sun

If you PM me your address so i know where to send it, you can send me a cheque after ive got it so il know how much it costs, i dont need any money in advance!

Apologies in advance if I dont find any in health shop!

Quote Risker View Post
    Thanks alisont and flying fairy (and welcome too! such a generous first post!)

I think we'd just want 2 packs, either the cream cheese or the block cheese, we liked them both. If it freezes and defrosts well like you say alisont maybe it would be good to post it when frozen to help it keep in the mail.

I think Enchantress is a bit antsy to get some so the quicker we can get some the better PM me an address (either of you) and I'll send you a cheque. Thanks

Can I have a cheque too Risker even without the exchange of cheese?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Well a smoked and a medium cheddar scheeze are on their way to Risker and Enchantress now just hope they dont melt!

Hi my name is Laura and I am also a Sheese-aholic! I bought a load at the BVF, and in the brochure they gave me, it said they're now stocking selected Sheese flavours at Sainsbury's stores? Not sure if it meant ALL Sainsbury's but might be worth a look/phone call.

Quote alisont View Post
    Well a smoked and a medium cheddar scheeze are on their way to Risker and Enchantress now just hope they dont melt!
    Thanks alisont, they arrived today all intact

Hiiiiiiii! my first post too, woo hoo. Aw i feel for you guys not being able to get Sheese locally! Most health food shops i know stock at least 1 or 2 different flavours. Have you tried Holland and Barratt? My local health food shop is quite good at ordering stuff in for me if they don't stock it, like Fry's products etc. It's always worth asking if they can get it in for you.

Get the medium cheddar style though if you can - AWESOME! (to be honest i rarely eat vegan cheese but Sheese is my fave and the medium cheddar one makes fab Sheesey puff pastry pasties! i can give the recipe if anyone wants it - its in the Solihull Animal Aid recipes book vol 3)

Quote animaladvocate View Post
    This product has a very nasty tangy after-taste and I wasn't slow to tell the manufacturers at their London Vegan Festival Stall so.I think this is because they put too large an amount of vinegar in their recipes.
    It's Cheezily EVERY time for me!
    I'd agree about that. All Sheese products I've tried so far have been TOO STRONG!! (although I have to say that they make a good vegan cheese sauce). My local supermarket (Sainsbury's) have started stocking the Smoked Cheddar, and as much as I want to encourage them to stock vegan cheese, I really don't like this much at all, apart from the fact that there is too much bloody vinegar in it, I never liked smoked cheese much as an omnivore and a lacto-veggie, so it's not surprising that I'm not bowled over by this product now.

What is the mildest hard cheese made by Bute Island Foods now? Is it the Medium Cheddar.? That might suit me better. There is always the alternative of Redwood Foods Cheezly which I quite like, but somehow it is as if there is something missing in this that I can't quite put my finger on. I have made a couple of 'uncheeses' from Joanne Stepaniak's book which I really liked, but I have to confess I'm too lazy/busy to make these very often.

I can remember the fearsome concoction of Tomor margarine and yeast extract (it was DARK BROWN -eeek!!!!)that passed for vegan cheese in the seventies and eighties, and have to say that the prospect of eating this delayed my permanent transition to veganism for two decades!

Quote Redveg993 View Post
    I can remember the fearsome concoction of Tomor margarine and yeast extract . . . delayed my permanent transition to veganism for two decades!
    Lol!

I was put off the thought of being veggie for years because of an awful, corrugated cardboard style home made lentil burger I ate at 16!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

terrible vegan cheese put me off going vegan for quite a while too, until i decided i could live without cheese.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Oh I hate this stuff, I wrote a review of it for Goodness Direct but funnily enough they didn't include it on the website. I wrote that it looks like a hockey puck, it actually bounces (we tried), and it tastes like feet. It was so bad I had to spit it into the bin and eat something quickly to get the taste out of my mouth.

And all the while my omni fiancee was laughing at me

Thank god I like Redwood melting mozzarella style!

ETA: I was quite the cheese lover as an omni - blue, mature, feta, I loved it all. So maybe that's why I was so insulted by this product!

Quote noodle View Post
    Oh I hate this stuff, I wrote a review of it for Goodness Direct but funnily enough they didn't include it on the website. I wrote that it looks like a hockey puck, it actually bounces (we tried), and it tastes like feet. It was so bad I had to spit it into the bin and eat something quickly to get the taste out of my mouth.

And all the while my omni fiancee was laughing at me

Thank god I like Redwood melting mozzarella style!

ETA: I was quite the cheese lover as an omni - blue, mature, feta, I loved it all. So maybe that's why I was so insulted by this product!

Hello Noodle,

That's the first time I knew feet were vegan!! Seriously though, Scheese is pretty awful. It's the vinegar - there's far, far too much of it.

No way! Sheese is awesome!!! Hehe, it's funny how people are so split over Cheezly and Sheese though. I've come across so many lovers and haters of both.

I love Sheese though and can't eat Cheezly. And when my cheese eating brother tells me he wants me to make more Sheese pasties i know i'm onto a good thing

You've gotta try them for yourself though. So anyone whose not had Sheese before, don't be put off by the haters, you may love it!

I'm wondering if there's some strange genetic thing going on here to do with an element that some people can taste and others can't (the same way some cats like catnip and others don't "get" it).

I have a friend who loves Sheese but to me it has a very strange under- or after-taste. (And I certainly don't have a refined palate )

i think it depends on which kind of sheese you have. i donīt like their whole range, but some parts of it, i.e. mexican cheddar style cream sheese, some of the hard ones i like as well.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

I used medium cheddar sheese on a pizza last night. Tasted cool! As long as you grate it small-ish and put it under the other toppings it works a treat.

Is Sheese any better than cheezly (I got the super melting mozarella style and thought it tasted like sick)? I'd love to find a mozarella substitute to made aubergine parmigiana (never had vegan parmesan either).

Are the tofutti mozzarella slices any better?

Stu

I think Scheese is a LOT worse than Cheezly. But you should give them a try - different people like different things. So just buy them once, then you'll know!

The slices taste like crap if they're the ones I'm thinking of, but then I think they're meant to be a substitute for the rubbish processed cheese you'd get in a meat cheeseburger so they're probably meant to taste rubbish.

Sheese is great, just ate some actually, grated in pitta with falafel, salad and mayo.

most people seem to like either Cheezly or Scheese, sometimes neither, but rarely both. so if you hated Cheezly, there's a chance you might like Scheese - or you might think that tastes like sick too. personally i like Cheezly if i'm in the mood for it but i can't stand Scheese - i couldn't even finish the free sample i got at a vegan fayre

I like both, but then I'll eat almost anything (as long as it's vegan, obviously).

well we always knew you were one of a kind Enchantress

I'll definately try it, i'd love to like vegan cheese so I can do vegan versions of recipes I like. But then when I was veggie I thought dairy cheese was repulsive, (could just about eat mozzarella raw) unless it was melted on pizza or within a dish like lasagne.

The cheezly reminded me of the synthetic tasting chedder they used to make paninis with in our school canteen. Maybe it was the school connection...

i think it really depends. the stall of bute island at the vegan festival was quite handy with their samples, cus u could try everything before buying a whole package an being very disappointed when u donīt like it. i think their cheddar-styles are good, but the mozzarella/blue flavour/cheshire were horrible. but as stu said, people like different things. from the cheezly i like them almost all, especially their "feta"!
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

i found some Sheese in my local Sainsburys and thought i ought to buy some to support it, even though i hated it before. they had the smoked cheddar and the cheddar soft cheese. i bought the cheddar soft and put it on some poppy seed crackers with slices of cucumber. i spread it very thinly and it was just about edible. i'm going to try making a pasta sauce with it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'