Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sheese

Default Re: Sheese

i tried making a pasta sauce with the Sheese and it was disgusting! i had to throw it away. the first mouthful tasted ok but then it had a distinct aftertaste of sick. why did i buy it?! it's evil!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Buddha Belly

The chedder tasted of toffee and the mozerella tasted of vanilla. Still nice though.

Have a tub of Feta in the fridge being slowly rationed out as i can get no more

Prefer the toffuti slices as they make good cheese on toast.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i tried making a pasta sauce with the Sheese and it was disgusting! i had to throw it away. the first mouthful tasted ok but then it had a distinct aftertaste of sick. why did i buy it?! it's evil!!!
    Oh dear. Don't say we didn't warn you:
    Quote horselesspaul View Post
    You can make a brilliant sauce that tastes like sick* with the "Blue Cheese" Scheese (Gesundheit!).
    If you like.

*Which is apparently what blue cheese sauce tastes like..iirc.
    x
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

you might be better off to create a cheese sauce with the sheese if you add just one tablespoon or so to a sauce based on the free and easy cheese sauce. additionally, iŽd recommend to add some parmezano and leave out the sheese if you want to. yeast flakes are also a great addition to create a cheese sauce...
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Creamy Sheese is great! I get the cheddar one they stock at Sainsbury's too. Smear it thickly onto brown toasty toast and cover with hot spaghetti hoOOOooOOoops! Cool.

Quote wildcatstrike View Post
    Smear it thickly onto brown toasty toast and cover with hot spaghetti hoOOOooOOoops! Cool.
    or cover with sprouts... use it as a topping for your jacket potato...

I get the smoked cheddar Sheese - it's really nice imo. Great for sandwiches, and has a nice distinctive flavour.

I can't eat the creamy stuff though. Just not my thing.

Cheezly!
    First time last week. liked it.
    Not as much as SnM.
    Mabey 2 roundals a year will do.
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

Quote Tibetan Snake View Post
    Cheezly!
    First time last week. liked it.
    Not as much as SnM.
    S&M?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Buddha Belly

Quote Marrers View Post
    S&M?
    Whipped cheese?

I'm so so so so sorry for that dreadfull 'joke'

Quote Marrers View Post
    yup

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Whipped cheese?

I'm so so so so sorry for that dreadfull 'joke'
    ha ha ha
    misst it the first time.

i've tried the mozarella one. yuck. can't help myself, i hate it (and i gave it a lot of tries in various recipes, but it failed them all). non-vegan members of the family were not thrilled either.
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

i didnŽt like the mozarella one either. the smoked one or the cheddar-styles are better ;-)

super melting mozzarella Cheezly is the best I have tried! wouldn't eat it on crackers but its nice as a topping to lasagne, pizza and pasta. I had high hopes for scheese and managed to buy some in auckland when I was last up there and its horrible! ruined my food and had to pick it all off. I was never a fan of really strong cheese though and this had a really strong taste and after taste.

Am just as happy with cashews on pasta now though

I made my own 'cream cheese' a few months back from the cook book how it all vegan. Spring onion, tofu and cashews being the main ingredients, it was really nice!

Quote Elahiya View Post
    i didnŽt like the mozarella one either. the smoked one or the cheddar-styles are better ;-)
    The smoked one is my favourite!

I really like the hard cheeses like the cheddar and smoked ones, but I just had the creamy soft cheddar style one and it was disgusting!! And I will normally eat just about anything that is vegan, but this was actually vile

I will have to experiment with it by adding things to try and make it bearable...... bleurgh

EDIT: on the website it talks about it being good grilled like on toast or pizza etc - anyone know if this redeems it?

UPDATE: grilling is better... slightly better

I plan to do a taste comparison test with some Scheese and Cheezly of the same type one of these days!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

do report
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

i used to like it and then it started to make me nausious. any suggestions as to why?

I just bought a smoked one and mozzarella. Do these melt at all? They don't really seem like they would. I tried a bit of the smoked cheddar. It seemed ok...

I just bought a smoked one and mozzarella. Do these melt at all? They don't really seem like they would. I tried a bit of the smoked cheddar. It seemed ok...

It sort of melts is you steam/cook it. I used it in a tofu omellete, put the lid on, sandwhiched between tofu and it somewhat melted. Other than that, no. It doesn't.
    www.feedingthekat.wordpress.com
    My gluten-free vegan blog :)

I'm afraid I can't get on with Scheese at all, to me whichever one you buy they all taste inherently of plasticine.

My favourite remains cheezly Nacho.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I spoke to Tesco's recently and they said they'd be willing to stock Sheese if they got more requests for it.

If anyone wants to give it a go you can email them here - https://www.tescohelp.com/tesco/form...l?rel=external

cobweb

Blimey I can't understand how anyone could eat the stuff!.
    We have it in the shop where I work and I can hardly bear to look at it, it just smells and tastes like vomit imo .

^ If you read the packet carefully cobweb you'll see that it actually says tofutti on it.

cobweb

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ If you read the packet carefully cobweb you'll see that it actually says tofutti on it.

I'm going to come over to where you live and change that sign on the road to read "Sheese Sucks" lol

friendly fri

To me, vegan chesse, per se, is very disappointing.Some varieties taste like a weird type of plastic, most dont melt, and its just plain odd tasting.When you consider how so called meat substitutes taste good, ice cream tastes great, why is our cheese so poor?
    :D :)

I completely agree, the vegan cheeses here are not very nice. Although when I went to flew to Ottawa for only a day last month I bought some Tofutti slices which were not bad at all. I'm in Quebec, so it's not exactly around the corner for me and they don't sell it here. What they sell here is disgusting, makes me want to set up my own vegan cheese making company, well at least for my own use.

I miss cheezly, I bought that loads in the UK (sob). I make my own cheeses from the uncheese cookbook, some are nice, but I haven't found any good replacements in Quebec yet.

Sheese... It's just weird! Don't know if I just tolerate it or hate it! Cheezly seems to evolve in leaps and bounds... while Sheese remains a rubbery lump!
    L'esprit de l'escargot

Eating Sheese tasted like how goat piss smells mixed with a plasticky flavour shaped into a non-meltable piece of rubber. I don't know if it was the particular variety I had, but it was enough to never want to have any of their sheeses again.

Quote imothepixie View Post
    Sheese... It's just weird! Don't know if I just tolerate it or hate it! Cheezly seems to evolve in leaps and bounds... while Sheese remains a rubbery lump!
    I completely agree with you on this. It's the type of thing that gives vegan food a bad name.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Well I really enjoy it and think that cheezly tastes awful, has an awful texture and goes mouldy as soon as it's exposed to the air. Tofutti tastes like tramps feet.

cobweb

I've NEVER Had Cheezly go mouldy on me and I keep an opened packet for a week or so in the fridge!.
    Risker you make me chuckle, I've never 'met' anyone else who enjoys Sheese lol.

I do know one person who will eat both Cheezly and Sheese but normally people seem to fall into one camp or the other (or neither)

i cant believe anyone likes sheese. mad
    into cheezly though. i love making pannis with tomato and basil with the super metling mozzerlla

Quote Risker View Post
    Well I really enjoy it and think that cheezly tastes awful, has an awful texture and goes mouldy as soon as it's exposed to the air. Tofutti tastes like tramps feet.
    I've had cheezly go moldy regularly and very often I've had implants packages which developed a huge air pocket in days before the expiration date and were about to explode. I was always checking the expiration date with cheezly.

I've never had cheezly go mouldy, but I have had it go rock hard after being out in the air for a couple of hours. Then again, like Cobweb, I've had half opened packets in the fridge for up to ten days and be totally edible. My OH likes both cheezly and Sheese. The big weirdo.

I have had Cheezly go mouldy if I left a half-eaten pack in the fridge for a few days - mind you I discovered recently that our fridge had got turned down (up?) somehow and was a lot warmer than it ought to have been.

Talking of mouldy cheese, I read somewhere (possibly the Vegan Society's mag) that they are going to be introducing a "blue" version of Cheezly, and in fact it seems to be on the Goodness Direct site already. Anyone tried that?

cobweb

Quote khadagan View Post
    I've had cheezly go moldy regularly and very often I've had implants packages which developed a huge air pocket in days before the expiration date and were about to explode. I was always checking the expiration date with cheezly.
    what does 'implants packages' mean?
    I noticed one like that, all puffed up, of Cheatin Ham recently..........what makes it do that?

cobweb

Cheezly shouldn't be kept out in the air though should it? (is vigorous defender of Cheezly - *stares hard at Barry*)
    I think 'normal' (omni) cheese does that if left out (goes hard) if my memory serves me right.

I may have mentioned already that although as a rule I like cheezly and dislike most of the sheeses I've tried, I do think the smoked cheddar sheese is rather nice, and a little added to a white sauce does go a long way to jazz it up.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote cobweb View Post
    what does 'implants packages' mean?
    I noticed one like that, all puffed up, of Cheatin Ham recently..........what makes it do that?
    When sealed packages are all puffed up it means the item has gone bad. The bacteria inside have multiplied loads, they produce gasses as they multiply so the package gets all puffy. I wouldn't eat it anymore. With cheezly I always used to return the puffy unopened packages if they were within expiration dates for fresh ones. It happened very often with the cheezly I bought and I did buy cheezly a lot.

Agreed, I wouldn't use those "blown" packages. On the other hand, I might slice off a small amount of superficial mould and use what's left, although I know some people are concerned about that too.

cobweb

ew, no, I've never seen a 'blown' pack of Cheezly but have seen other stuff like that (and avoided them, but didn't know why).

Quote harpy View Post
    Talking of mouldy cheese, I read somewhere (possibly the Vegan Society's mag) that they are going to be introducing a "blue" version of Cheezly, and in fact it seems to be on the Goodness Direct site already. Anyone tried that?
    Why yes, they had it in the trio pack that was selling in H&B in December. It was smoked, pepperjack and blue style cheezly. It was blurry lovely! Sadly, I'm not really one for buying food online as I get moody over the delivery charges.

I had the blue sheese once... much prefer the cheezly version.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote cobweb View Post
    Cheezly shouldn't be kept out in the air though should it? (is vigorous defender of Cheezly - *stares hard at Barry*)

But sometimes I'm too stuffed with cheezly pasta to put it back in the fridge!

I think I read they're introducing the Pepperjack one as part of the normal range as well - not sure about the smoked.

cobweb

Quote Barry View Post

But sometimes I'm too stuffed with cheezly pasta to put it back in the fridge!
    good excuse, have to let you off with that one lol