Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: nākd food bars

Default Re: 'naked' bars

We buy on average about 10 a week, at 89p each (tesco). Would happily buy by the box if it made it cheaper, but not seen anywhere online that works out cheaper than tesco.

JC

in the tesco i shop at, it costs 88p. not that a penny really makes a difference, it's just strange that they have different prices in different stores. oh, and in case anyone was interested, animal aid are selling mixed berry trek bars for 25p each because they're a couple weeks out of date. i just bought 10

Quote JC View Post
    well i tried. i used dates, sultanas, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, apple juice, mixed berries and oats. i got the taste quite similar, but the texture was awful. i had to eat it with a spoon
    Did you add the apple juice to the mixture whilst it was being made? Also how much did you use?

I'd personally soak the fruit in the juice overnight, then thoroughly drain it all to remove excess moisture. THEN grind up the dates to a puree.

JC

yeah, i added it whilst making. not much though, probably about 100ml at the most. i like your way better though, i'll try that next time.

Default Re: 'nākd' food bars

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    We buy on average about 10 a week, at 89p each (tesco). Would happily buy by the box if it made it cheaper, but not seen anywhere online that works out cheaper than tesco.
    I think I'd rather pay the extra than set foot in that retched hell hole. Maybe I just order a whole box from Suma, wonder how long they'd last

JC

Quote pinkcharge View Post
    I think I'd rather pay the extra than set foot in that retched hell hole. Maybe I just order a whole box from Suma, wonder how long they'd last
    i know!! inflation-busting prices my arse!

Quote JC View Post
    i know!! inflation-busting prices my arse!

Yeah not just the fact that they bully suppliers to lower prices, sell live turtles in their chinese supermarkets and want friggin' world domination, their like the illuminati of supermarkets. And the one is Swansea is horrible, its so busy you just want to kill someone by the time you're finished. I bloody can't stand the place.

Default New Nakd raisins with flavour

Has anyone else tried these yet? From Nakd who do the raw food bars - small packets of raisins which also have citric acid and "natural flavours".

The raisins available are:

Orange raisins
    Cherry raisins
    Lemon raisins

They are absolutely delicious, and really taste just like the fruit (eg the orange ones taste just like oranges).

Bit gimmicky, maybe, but totally raw - and for people like me who *hate* the taste of raisins, it's a perfect way to be able to eat them and enjoy them!

I've been passing them round at work and everyone is sold on them and asking me where they can buy them (39p from Sainsburys near the jellies and Ambrosia stuff).

Even better they are boldly labelled VEGAN and RAW FOOD and seem ideally suited for kids' packed lunches too

Are they a new product, or have I just never seen them before? I'm in love!

Default Re: New Nakd raisins with flavour

they're not new, i first tried them at the Bristol Vegan Fayre in 2007. they're a bit hard to get hold of round here, but one branch of Sainsbury's sells them. they are indeed very yummy!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: New Nakd raisins with flavour

Yes these are very yummy. I love the Cherry ones
    Knottykc

Quote Orange-powered View Post
    i told him he probably wouldnt like it cos well he might have been expecting it to be a chocolate bar or something but anyway he liked it! lol random pointless story.
    I am not surprised. Great travel/what-ever snack!

Had a mouthful of the cocoa bar today - i quite liked it! Surprisingly filling, I think a whole one would be more than enough to fill me up. Still seems quite expensive given how cheap the ingredients are.
    yum!

i see Nakd bars have been repackaged, i'm trying to eat a Cocoa Loco one at the moment but i still don't like them, in fact i like them even less than i remembered! it's bitter and gives me heartburn, i'm not sure i can finish it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote pinkcharge View Post
    Yeah not just the fact that they bully suppliers to lower prices, sell live turtles in their chinese supermarkets and want friggin' world domination, their like the illuminati of supermarkets. And the one is Swansea is horrible, its so busy you just want to kill someone by the time you're finished. I bloody can't stand the place.
    Here here pinkcharge... & they also sell below cost too... although I doubt that's the case with Nakd bars.

They acheive the texture by dehydration & that's probably why they cause indigestion too. I love em personally but they do give me terrible indigestion, as do Rashers!
    No guru, no method, no teacher

There is another brand by the Raw company & they do a chocolate/coconut & cinnamon/raisin version. They're moist and delicious.

& has anyone tried the new Booja Booja raw truffles yet? The raspberry ones are fabulous.

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    There is another brand by the Raw company & they do a chocolate/coconut & cinnamon/raisin version. They're moist and delicious.
    & has anyone tried the new Booja Booja raw truffles yet? The raspberry ones are fabulous.
    i have never seen or heard of either of these.

eta: i still have heartburn from the Cocoa Loco bar i ate earlier. not good.

Zero

Nak'd and Trek bars are only somewhat raw, the nuts (as with most are heat processed) and the oats are cooked, the apple juice is pasteurised. But hey, they are still are pretty damn healthy snack in my opinion

Quote Gorilla View Post
    eta: i still have heartburn from the Cocoa Loco bar i ate earlier. not good.
    Aww, don't eat them anymore if they do that to you

^ i won't, they just tricked me into buying one with their new packaging, but i won't be fooled again!

Zero

Such trickery!

but they do give me terrible indigestion, as do Rashers!

**nods**
    and then you get the horrid 'rest of the day 'bacon' burps'! - sorry

Default nakd

i have recently tried those nakd bars and oh my goodness how delicious are they!!!! ive become quite adicted to them especially the choco one i am not a raw vegan and only tried them because they were on offer at my local supermarket and had seen them advetized in either the animal aid or viva! catalogue.i cannot believe how tasty they are!! is all raw food this tasty??
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

I love the cocoa Nakd bars too.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Have you seen the protein flapjacks? They are super yummy Only in boots stores at the moment.

Are these bars made by the same people who make the Naked natural juices?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

No... this is a small UK based company.... Natural Balance Foods Ltd.

Okay. I thought if they were the same, I could get some of those bars here.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

They export to most of Europe though... so you never know, they might start selling in Canada

There is a really interesting article about their bussiness model here
    http://www.uktisoutheast.com/ContentDisplay.aspx?ID=966
    (they are actually only one town over from me, so I really hope I'll be able to work for them one day!)

As a cyclist, who appreciates compact 'bonk rations' I find them indispensible.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote !! View Post
    i love the apple ones, they're so nice!!
    Me too! Berry flavour makes for variety.

If someone sends me a box I'll send you some yummy US treat!
    No, but really.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I'd be happy to swap some Nakd bars for something we can't get here.
    Last edited by beanstew; May 9th, 2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: too many errors today
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I'm not sure what you don't have, if there anything that you know of?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

JC

Default Re: nākd food bars

Vegan Oreos?

I could do that!

Quote Zero View Post
    Nak'd and Trek bars are only somewhat raw, the nuts (as with most are heat processed) and the oats are cooked, the apple juice is pasteurised.
    Yes !! I have found out that they are not 100% raw, i feel annoyed and tricked by the makers using tactics on the packaging to sell their product when i thought they were genuine and heart felt !!

" more fool me "

To the best of my knowledge, L'A'RABAR, is totally raw and very yummy !!

*live*&*let*live

Berry flavoured 2.49 for 5 bars at Sainsbury's. Never tried these my OH likes the wholebake ones which come in Pumpkin and Hemp and a Carob one. I have checked ingredients on many of these bars as the manufacturers can be quite sly in shoving in sugar and other nasties yet saying they are healthy. The wholebake ones seem to be pretty much what they say they are. Good way of getting him some extra calories and nutrition from the nuts/seeds. He's a veggie for the past six months...I'm hoping he will eventually make the full leap.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelv...ainsburys.html

price comparison website, quite handy except you have to pay several delivery charges so you probably don't save all that much! Has a good selection of cereal/nut bars for you to compare and contrast lol!!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i made these and thought they were yummy!

[YOUTUBE]vvUyBohgwVw[/YOUTUBE]
    Thanks for posting this link, Cedar!!! I made these last night and they were GREAT!!! Didn't have any dates, so used raisins instead, then added almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Even with just those four ingredients they were really, really tasty.

JC

I've heard that Lara bars are being discontinued in the UK - does anyone know if this is true?? Ooh and has anyone tried the new raw nakd bars (as in the ones without the oats). I hadn't seen them in any shops so i ordered a sample pack from their website. They're delish and they worked out at only 75p per bar, plus free delivery - bargain! Oh lordie i sound like a nakd marketing rep... but they honestly were nice!

Oh my - please say the Larabar story ISN'T TRUE! I absolutely adore their bars! I can't find any information on their website. I shall pop them an e-mail to get an answer. Where did you hear this from, JC?

However, thanks to the wonderful video cedarblue posted (many thanks!), I have been encouraged to try making some homemade versions!
    Last edited by pusskins; Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Wrong person!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

JC

This was part of an e-mail i got from Nakd in June. I was hoping it wasn't true...

"PS: As many of you know, Larabar, the US based raw food bar company has been purchased by General Mills for like a bjillion dollars and is pulling out of the UK. We're as bummed as everyone else about that since they were helping us promote raw foods"

If this is true then i guess we'd better start stocking up before they all go

Well, this is the response I got re. Larabars:

Dear ********

Thank you for contacting us with your enquiry about our General Millsproduct.

We are sorry to have to advise you that this product is not currently available for retail in the country (UK). We conduct extensive consumer research and results have shown that the majority of our consumers have a preference for other types of products or flavours.

Your comments have been documented and the appropriate personnel have been notified.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy other products from our range in the future.

Yours sincerely,

A. Bristow
    Consumer Relations

Ref: 2009/08/13-3183GB

A bland reply! However, it looks like it will now be home experimentation of recipes! So probably a good thing, in a way? Larabars ARE lush, though.
    Last edited by pusskins; Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarity
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

So that is why my local health food store and sainsbury stopped selling them.

Feeling sorry for myself now.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    So that is why my local health food store and sainsbury stopped selling them.

Feeling sorry for myself now.
    I know Morrisons carry them, Tesco have the big ones, and Waitrose carry multi-packs
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

If anyone buys direct from SUMA wholesalers they have a special offer on the nakd bars and flavoured raisins, check your catalogue for details.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Stuart

Default Nakd

If you've not tried one, nakd cocoa orange bars are a bit bloody lovely. Tried one today for the first time, new to Waitrose, and I imagine other places.

Default Re: Nakd

cocoa orange?? didnt know they did that flavour,thats fantastic! will look out for that tried the others and liked them all
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

By far their best product in my opinion.

Quote Stuart View Post
    If you've not tried one, nakd cocoa orange bars are a bit bloody lovely. Tried one today for the first time, new to Waitrose, and I imagine other places.
    Mmmmmmm, indulge!

I did, don't regret it one bit
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.