Thread: Cross country biking

Default Cross country biking

I'm planning a bike trip across the US this coming summer, and I was wondering if any of you had any expierence doing this and how difficult it would be being a vegan and getting enough nutrience for the trip.

Thanks!

Default Re: Cross country biking

i have never personally gone on a long distance bike trip, but i believe my uncle has in the past. i'll have to ask him what he did. it sounds like so much fun and i wish i could some day! =]

Great to hear; I would love to join you! I've been a cyclist all my life, I hardly drive my car anymore. I've only been on century rides with the club, but don't see any reason you will not be able to handle it. Wouldn't a hundred mile a day average be ok for a trip like that? Please take care though, I'm on a two month vacation because I was hit head on by a car this New Year's eve. I wanted to play it "safe" and be on my bike for the new year and not in a bar. Instead I ended up being the first one of '07 to be admitted to the hospital here, and in the operating room a week later. I had the green light but for some reason the driver just turned left into me as I went through the intersection way too fast, I was doing around 30mph. I know the intersection and there was no way she could go, it was green arrow only. I learned a big lesson. Smashed both knees and broke my left leg and a bit banged up. Hope they can re true my new Mavic SL wheelset. Electric, if you don't do that ride, you will always reget not having tried! Eat right and go for it man...!

OMG, VeganRider!! That's awful! Hope you're soon back to full fitness.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the concern, I will be fine. They put a titanium tube into my leg by moving my knee cap out of the way and drilling a hole through the length of my leg and pounded the tube in from the knee to ankle to hold things together. Then four screws through my bone into the tube to make sure everything is straight. I have been putting full weight on it for almost two weeks; it's not the first time I broke bones in an accident. I am lucky to have one of the best doctors in the country. Last time he said, "The way you healed was nothing short of amazing! You will never know you broke any bones." I like to think it's because of the way we vegans live.

Vegan Traveler

Hey, I'd like to say that I've done some distance riding as a vegetarian, and would also be very interested in doing a long distance trip if you're looking for other vegan riders... I also noticed that you're in Ohio VeganRider.. We should definitely do some riding when you're feeling better... When are you expected to be riding again? I'm in Youngstown btw..
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

My main concern was once I get passed the mississippi river (we're starting on the east coast), maybe I'm just underestimating middle america, but I don't want to get that far out there, and have nothing really to eat, and be forced into eating something non-vegan and then run the risk of getting sickly feeling

ph63228

i cant believe that crash of yours biker! sounds terrible! eek! with regards to your '100 mile-a-day thing, dont, i have a vegan freind who's cycled all through europe, he could do 1000 miles a week if he pushed it and needed to make up some time, but he also said its fine getting things to eat, and take your time, push to hard and you wont enjoy what your doing, i would like to do something similar only maybe accross Italy or Germany, i'm a bit of a road cyclist myself and urge you to check how much your stuff weighs, too much and your going to be stuck, try to do a few 50+ mile rides with everything (or most of) what you'll be carrying, that way you wont have any unpleasant surprises when you set off =P
    if their are any vegan athletes here go to www.veganfitness.net a brilliant site where all your concerns ect will be answered by everyone and a really helpfull website.
    Cheers

prilly-pie

i recently bought a bike.. initiative to be more healthy and i love cycling. however i bought a bike where the handle bars dont rise.. is there an extention i can buy instead for it?