Thread: Potato Allergy

Default Potato Allergy

Is anyone out there allergic to potatoes? I am extremely allergic and I go into anafalaxic (spelling?) shock if I eat anything with a tiny bit of potato in it. I have never met anyone else with this allergy and I have not visited a food allergist to discuss it in quite a while. So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know if there's a chance it will ever go away? And if anyone happens to be allergic, are you allergic to anything else that's similar?

Default Re: Potato Allergy

I'm sensitive to yams, which I believe are related to potatoes - but I only get headaches from them. You definitely seem to have a much more severe reaction.

I found this, by the way:

Length article on potato allergy cases in varying age groups

Wow Angela that must be awful I'd never heard of a potato allergy before now. I guess it must make life really hard for you. Take care and let us know how you get on.

Lilac Hamster

Thanks Bic, I found that article very interesting as I have a personal interest in the tobacco allergy issue (and generally finding out about lesser known facts to help the argument for banning the smoking of tobacco) as this was touched on in this article, because tobacco is quite closely related to potatoes. I don't have a problem with anything else related to the solanaceae family as far as I know apart from tobacco but definitely a serious problem with tobacco smoke, and I did once get an itchy and sore finger when I had to pick up a wet cigarette end, so it did affect my skin that one time when it was direct contact. I am pretty sure I don't react to potatoes or other solanaceae though and can eat most things without getting ill.

angelamc, I can't be sure if my problem is related to yours or if in my case it is just a very severe smoke-sensitivity, due to smoke being a serious irritant. The tobacco companies, and their friends FORCES and FOREST deny the very existence of tobacco allergy for their own reasons (it does not do their smokers rights argument any good to admit it!) but clearly it does most likely exist since potato allergy and allergy to other plants in the family solanaceae exists! You and many others are living proof of this even if these are rare allergies.

Do either of you have a problem with tobacco smoke, worse than the average? Or problems with other solanaceae, such as peppers or tomatoes?

I don't know if yams are solanaceae, I would have to look that one up as it does not seem to mention them in the article.

I'm going to google about Joseph Harkavy now, his work on tobacco allergy and coronary arteries sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of that.

I don't know if allergies or chemical sensitivities go away very often or if you just have to live with it, I'm pretty sure I will always just have to live with having a very bad reaction to cigarette smoke, but I look on it as a blessing in disguise having to avoid it considering how dangerous it is to everyone anyway. I know you can't be expected to feel the same way about potatoes though, I don't think they are unhealthy in general, so it is unfortunate you are so allergic.

Very important that people around you know what to do if you get anaphylaxis, I know it can be very dangerous.

Lilac Hamster

Here's some more about the solanaceae family and it mentions several ppl having adverse reactions to potatoes (Solanum tuberosum, near the bottom of the page), loads more about tobacco sensitivities also

http://bodd.cf.ac.uk/BotDermFolder/BotDermS/SOLA.html

Thanks for the links, guys! I will persevere...

Yes, I do have alot of trouble with cigarette smoke. It really irritates my eyes and my throat if I'm standing near someone who's smoking. However, I have never tried smoking myself so I don't know if I would have a more serious reaction if I inhaled it first hand. I did not know that tobacco was related to potatoes. Very interesting. I don't have any other food allergies that I know of, and I can eat yams, but NOT sweet potatoes, their paler counterpart.