Thread: Vegans in Thailand

Default Vegans in Thailand

Hi
    I'm off to thailand for two weeks, I've been there before but only as a vegetarian. I have my 'vean passport' ready but was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiences that would be a useful lesson before I go!
    Cheers!
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

Default Re: Vegans in Thailand

Yes, don't eat out! If that can't be avoided, ensure that whatever sauce is used in the food it does not contain fish sauce or oyster sauce - very common there.
    Perhaps going raw might be the thing - so much tasty fruit there.
    Eve

Be very careful of the water though. You should only eat things that have been washed in bottled water, and I would avoid salad for the same reason unless you can wash it yourself, which might make going raw a bit of a problem. You should brush your teeth in bottled water too. But you know this anyway, right, since you've been there already, duh, sorry. My memories of eating out in Bangkok include taking my copy of the Lonely Planet to a restaurant and pointing at the Thai translation of the dishes I wanted and the staff not understanding a word

Good luck.

Good advice none the less! I hope the staff will understand the translation of vegan in the vegan passport book! Unfortunately when backpacking around eating out can't be avoided. Did you find any vegan food in bangkok...other than fruit? I once had to resort to plain rice and sweet chilli sauce in langkawi...
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

I wasn't vegan at the time, only veggie. Due to language difficulties and travelling with an ignorant and hurtful friend my experiences were less than positive, I remember being pretty disappointed at the limited choice. If I went back now I'd try to do things differently.

Hi fiamma, as to my suggestion about going raw, I certainly did not include salad in that. Where I lived in Bangkok, salads were uniformly washed in bleach! Fruit is the best option as there is such an abundance and variety, but rice is good too. I remember sticky rice and durian as a great meal.
    Eve

Really Eve? Where they really washed in bleach? Didn't they taste funny?

Don't know as I wasn't keen to eat their salads!
    Eve

Hi Bluey

I think you've probably already left for Thailand now. Nevertheless, I wanted to add a couple of lines of my own experiences here. They are quite different from those of other posters and might be of help to other vegans looking to visit Thailand.

I visited Bangkok, Koh Lanta and Koh Phi Phi earlier this month and was positively surprised by the range of foods available to me. Apart from the foods in 7 eleven and similar shops, we also ate out. I especially enjoyed the following restaurants:

Bangkok - Mango Tree
    Koh Lanta - The Sanctuary, Sayang (both on Long Beach)
    Koh Phi Phi - Ciao Bella

Although none of these are pure vegetarian, let alone, vegan restaurants we enjoyed the veggie food on offer there. Staff at the Sanctuary on Koh Lanta were English speakers, so it was very easy to check ingredients and/or order off the menu there.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how your trip went, ok?

*lysi*

Hi, I go to Bangkok about once a year. I've never found eating vegan much of a problem, in fact I have more trouble here in London. Most restaurants have a page or two of vegetarian dishes in their menus, and all you have to do is ask them to omit the egg in them.

I second the above poster as to the Mango Tree restaurant.

Oh yeah, and I've always brushed my teeth in regular tap water at the hotels and had no problems!

BLUEY .. How did your trip go ?? Sorry to bump up an old thread but i am looking at heading there for a two week holiday in april and would appreciate all the fellow vegan advice on this that i could get ?!? As its looking as though i may have to resort to being a raw vegan on this holiday. TIA x

Me next! Heading off to Phuket for 3 weeks in June.

There is alot of variety but as I recall no curry dishes because the pre-made paste has shrimp. What a drag.
    I used to get red and green paste in London made in Thailand by a Buddhist company.... wish I could get hold of those but will be passing thru KL instead from Beijing.

Anyone reporting back on their experiences?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I spent a few months there two years ago, it wasn't that bad, and it's worth asking about the fish paste in curries, i had a few that I was assured had none in, I hope I wasn't lied to! There's plenty of veggie stir fries you can have, and pad thai is good as long as you make sure that there's no fish sauce or egg (pretty common). You're going to Phuket? Be prepared for fairly sickening sex tourism. The islands such as Ko-Pha-Nang are pretty near to there and a lot more chilled out, I definitely enjoyed them more than Phuket. Still though it's an interesting place and I'd say you'll have a great time, enjoy!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I did Koh Samui/Pha Nang in '92 and couldn't handle the level of development. Because of storm was stuck on KP for full-moon fest. Drugs-sex-techno, too old for that.

Hoping that our choice of going 'resort' instead of 'packpacker' this time will spare us.
    Ashame that we, as visitors, have brought so much vice to paradise....

Now I better start in on a phrase book...

Yeah it's true isn't it? Everything about tourism over there apart from the economic benefits has made a bit of a mess of the place. Resort will probably be a lot nicer than backpacking all right, have fun!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

rainleaf

ok, manbe your trip in thailand is over, but, anyway here's some info, about some thai vegan restaurants. In Bangkok, there are 2 branches of the restaurant "Mae kai dee", around the khao san rd area. 100% vegan, no fish ore oyster sauce, delicious food, and really nice people. getting more and more popular every year. There is also one restaurant of the same branch in Chiang Mai. Anyway, if you ever go to Thailand, this restaurant is a must. (and there is a delicious buffet, you can eat as much as you want, every saturday on one of the Bangkok restaurant)...

I remember how good the veggie food was in Bangkok (favorite near railway station)
    but changing planes in HK this time for Phuket. Next time will check it out.

Back! Here is my report:

Phuket stayed on Bang Tao Beach which meant resort restaurants or the few beach shacks that served seafood and very little else. Sucked paying full price for dishes minus dead animal.

Trip to Phuket Town to find veggie places turned up, rather, food stall type eateries that my other half wouldn't try. (pretty unattractive)

Koh Phi Phi chose Long Beach over more popular Ao Lo Dalam which I highly recommend as the very scenic restaurant, Pi Pi Family, has a vegetarian section. Cheap too. Better than I found in the village for selection and price.

Railay stayed on sunrise beach. Everything is an easy walk. The Rock is the furthest you can get up the hill in a little valley. The have veggie burgers and a bit of this and that but the view is splendid.
    Had a few Indian dishes at Rapala for a change; not expensive.
    Mama's at the far end of sunrise is basic but have a vegetarian section so we ate there alot. Cheap.
    One try at a resort place to watch sunset on the West side wasn't worth the trouble or price: of course my vegetarian-no-oyster-sauce-no-egg noodle came with fish sauce.

The other bit I found annoying about touristy areas is how hard it is to get them to use chillies!

The beaches and all were lovely but next time I will plan my trip around veggie friendly places.