Thread: egg replacer - recipe ideas??

Default egg replacer - recipe ideas??

i bought some whole egg replacer today and was wondering if anyone had any good recipes that use this that i might have a bash at?

on looking through the recipe threads i see most sweet recipes don't call for it anyway..substitutes and other stuff being oil...soya milk...bicarb of soda etc etc. i don't know..i don't really do much baking..but would like to make more nice vegan cakes/buns to sway the unconvinced daughter

i have a BIG tub of the stuff now, so if anyone has fab recipes..please pop them down here..

thanks

Default Re: egg replacer - recipe ideas??

Hi EmmaP,
    Sorry not to be of any help with recipes but I was wondering
    where did you get this tub of egg replacer?
    Thanks

You can find it in health stores autierozza.
    I have never used egg replacer but i know someone who does and it makes her cakes very heavy indeed. I prefer light cakes so dont use it. I think the idea is to just get a normal cake recipe and stick in the replacer. If you have a cake recipe you loved before you turned vegan just try that one.

hi auntie R..

yeah we got our replacement egg powder in the local hf shop.

me and the mini made a lemon drizzle cake tonight..it was quite 'dense' and wouldn't really come out of the tin (though it was cooked through)..so i flipped it upside down and piled all the scraped bits from the tin on top, then cleverly disguised it all with evil icing sugar and lemon juice.

it was actually pretty tasty..but i'll say this..because i haven't had any refined stuff in months now, and i did make the cake with white flour and something like 6oz unrefined sugar..after eating just one piece it made me want to have a sleep!?

i think in future i'll probably try to not ever buy any ever again, cos i don't really see the need for it..was kind of an 'impulse buy'

Yeh, I experimented with egg replacer and also soya flour a few years ago and found it makes cakes denser too. I think cakes taste nicer when they're supposed to be vegan, rather than trying to convert an eggy recipe.

My friend makes great pancakes with soya flour though. I wonder if egg replacer could be good for those?

it's funny cherry cos i was thinking about how lovely your cakes look on your parsleysoup pages and then when we'd finally finsihed ours i stood back, looked at it and went

"oh"

i'm not overly confident with baking and quite terrifed of making nice things because i have little self control and would eat them all at once

Quote emmapresley View Post
    i bought some whole egg replacer today and was wondering if anyone had any good recipes that use this that i might have a bash at?
    Take 1 bottle of red wine. Drink. Take 1 bin, open it, drop egg replacer in
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

it's funny cherry cos i was thinking about how lovely your cakes look
    You should have used my lemon cake recipe instead then

What's wrong with eating things all at once?

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Take 1 bottle of red wine. Drink. Take 1 bin, open it, drop egg replacer in
    That is the best recipe for egg replacer in the whole wide world. Ever!! (and I don't even drink! )

i may have learnt my egg replacer lesson, and am suitably shamed..my cake is like pudding..and i have no wine in the house

i will certainly make your lemon cake next time cherry..when i make really nice stuff i have to distribute it out to friends because i do end up nibbling in a "i'll just tidy this corner of the cake here..*snaffle snaffle*...oh! there are an odd number of buns *chomp chomp*" sort of way.

cakes and biscuits are not conducive to losing weight..'specially not how i eat em

Good sperm

All eggs add really is liquid, air and some binding. Baking powder/soda adds air to the mix (as does sieving the flour and not overmixing) water/dairy free milk adds moisture and helps to bind too.
    I've found the best cake recipes don't bother with eggs/egg replacer. The best I've seen so far is a chocolate cake that used cider vinegar, cold water and oil to make the moistest chocolatey goodness I have ever eaten.

Hi Emma,
    I have just looked out my book "We'll Eat Again" which is a collection of recipes selected by Marguerite Patten for everybody during WW2!
    It's a funny old book which has loads of veg. recipes but also a few with egg replacer in.
    I'm not sure if the idea of eating fake omelette would be really gross for you but PM me if you are interested!!!
    She gives advice on using 'dried egg' telling you to avoid putting in too much and once you have added the right amount of water to beat it really well..
    I hope you haven't thrown it away already!

sprite1986

When I find it, there's this really nice carrot cake that I use the egg replacer for (although I guess it doesn't specifically require it), but it turns out really nice!

...when i make really nice stuff i have to distribute it out to friends because i do end up nibbling in a "i'll just tidy this corner of the cake here..*snaffle snaffle*...oh! there are an odd number of buns *chomp chomp*" sort of way.

Hehehe

I'm the same.

A lot of the cake recipes in The Garden of Vegan and La Dolce Vegan call for egg replacer but my other half (veggie not vegan) said the consistency was quite bread-like . On the othe hand, I made Cherry's lemon cake for my birthday last year and it was totally yummy . So the moral of the story is to avoid egg replacer like the plague!!!
    here comes the sun

vegweb.com has a lot of recipes that call for egg-replacer. I have never used it...I either use baking soda or pwder and vinegar or flax seed.
    "The opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation"

Quote Ginger View Post
    On the othe hand, I made Cherry's lemon cake for my birthday last year and it was totally yummy . So the moral of the story is to avoid egg replacer like the plague!!!
    Cool Speaking of which, did your egg-replacer-less lemon cake turn out any better, EmmaP?

weeeell...

i can't say it was manky..tbh they just tasted very different??
    the first one (with the fake egg stuff) was altogether more dense..then i put a load of icing sugar and lemon juice on it..it was a 'lemon explosion cake' - the recipe i found *somewhere* on the net (no idea where now )

it was more like pudding really..anna loved it, but i gave most of it to some friends and they actually put it in the bin (my friend didn't say this - diplomatic y'see..but her 5 year old sort of blundered her way in and said in a cute broad yorkshirey accent way "well, we didn't liiike it, soo we put it in the bin"
    fair enough.

your cake, if you remember cherry took about an hour longer to bake cos i'd put it in an entirely inappropriate tin ..but it did eventually bake and it was just H U G E!
    with icing cream stuff inside it was sweet enough so i didn't bother with the topping..but i have to say..your recipes make for massive amounts.!!

the egg replacer is in the cupboard and it'll probably stay there till i wing it.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley
    i have to say..your recipes make for massive amounts.!!
    Really? The exact same cake I made for Twinkle wasn't NEARLY big enough

might've been the tin i put it in a bread loaf tin..so when it was cooked i had to horizontally slice (hack) it then the amount in the recipe probably would've covered a larger..erm..surface area than what i'd 'created' cos it was about 4 inches thick and impossible (though i tried really hard) to shove inside.

all my baking look like car crashes.
    the muffins we made the other day..i had a tin that held 6..the rest had to go in ordinary bun paper cases (not muffin tins) then just go on a baking tray. so they weren't even 'muffin'y..just like some oozing brown flat gloop with the berries. tasted good..but aesthetically..not great!!

Glad to hear your cake turned out semi-ok Emma!

What's actually in egg replacer, does anyone know? I'd like to try baking a few cakes from a candida recipe book that I'm following, but most of them have eggs in I thougt I'd try egg replacer but I have to be careful what I eat so need to know what it's actually made of! Can anyone tell me, thanks!

hiya stezzy!

these are the ingredients of what's in the stuff i bought:
    soy protein isolate...potato starch..stabiliser e464.

p.s who went and rated this thread as 'terrible'?!?!

hiya stezzy!

these are the ingredients of what's in the stuff i bought:
    soy protein isolate...potato starch..stabiliser e464.

p.s who went and rated this thread as 'terrible'?!?!
    Brilliant thank you - I should be able to use it then!

Btw I'm getting a letter off to you very soon

Instead of egg replacer I used a mashed banana (depends what you're making of course) and instead of oil, I use applesauce.
    Makes great blueberry muffins, or as I call them, banana blueberry applesauce muffins!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Kant

I have stopped using egg replacer - everything I made had a horrible bitter aftertaste..not sure if I was doing something wrong but this never happens when I don't use it so I binned it

cos it's mingy..i binned mine too

Ahahaha XD Emma P, your cooking stories make me laugh

right..well get this then..i've ordered 'vegan cupcakes takin over the world' and it should be here, in my house by the weekend. soo...watch this space..or rather watch in the 'look what i made today' thread. generally most cake based delights i cobble together do look like crusty poos..but i'm completely inspired by poison ivy's pics of her recipes from this book..have you not seen?!?!!

armed with the correct ingredients and bun bakin' determination, i cannot fail!!

Before today I've never cooked in my life.
    Tonight I mixed together in a bowl some No-Egg and margarine, a head of broccoli that I chopped up, with a packet of mixed pieces potato pumpkin and kumara, and some cashew nuts and two sliced up plums, then I put it in a big dish and baked it.

It was yum,
    so now I have this theory, you can just put anything that you think tastes nice together in a bowl with No-Egg to make it stick together, put it in the over, and it will be yum.

Was thinking about getting some to make cakes, but maybe i won't now I'll try the recipes that don't need it

Curvaceous!

I use egg replacer for yorkshire puddings and they work ok. They're a bit smaller than the regular ones but they still taste ok. I make a dozen and freeze them in pairs so I can just pop them in the oven the following weeks.

6oz plain flour
    6 fl oz soya/rice milk
    4 fl oz water
    Suitable amount of egg replacer (mine's 2 heaped teaspoons and 4 tablespoons water)

Whizz together with a mixer, pour into a greased 12-hole cake tin and pop in a hot oven (gas 7) for about 20 minutes.

I did try making a victoria sponge cake yesterday with it though Hopeless! It was a recipe I use week in week out for the kids' lunchboxes but it went like a tough biscuit and had to be scraped out of the tin in bits. It wasn't even ok to have with custard! All my vegan cakes have been disasterous .. I'm off to have a look at your site Cherry.
    Six months in 'n' going well! ...

Oh dear.

I too have just bought some of said replacer as an impulse buy. Upon bringing it home I thought "Ah! I'll check with those lovely people on the forum for a decent recipe..."

It appears that the best one is getting drunk on wine and binning it.

Here goes....