Thread: surgery

Unhappy surgery

I am at the end of my rope with my weight. I am prepared to have gastric bypass surgery. I did not ever think I would have to go that route, but it has come to this.

At 26, I have never been at a healthy weight. I am very disappointed with myself. I have been vegan on and off and just keep failing. I just don't believe in myself anymore. My appt to meet with the doctor is on 3/1. I am not sure if I know how to lose weight anymore. Not even sure why I'm talking about this with a bunch of strangers.

Default Re: surgery

Hey,
    Don't give up hope! There is a lot of controversy surrounding this kind of surgery so just make sure that you make the most educated decision possible. That's all anyone can ask of you, really. I know 2 women who have had the surgery and both were in their 50's. After 2-3 years both have managed to keep most of the weight off and neither of them had any complications. Yay! Also, you're still young. I don't know if you've had any thyroid trouble or health problems that have contributed to your weight issues but make sure you check out any of those possibilities. In the meantime, do your research and try to do things that will boost your self confidence, like fun exercise and spending time with people who care about you.
    Good Luck!
    Angela

Hi need-to-veg,

My mom had a gastric bypass about 5 months ago now. She had the operation abroad, I'm not sure where but I can check - she did her research beforehand and picked a highly qualified and well-respected surgeon. Anyway, a few months on and 3 stone lighter and she has never looked back! So that's one positive outcome

Granted, it's a risky procedure, but it also has a relatively high success rate too and can greatly improve quality of life. I think you need to do what you feel is right. No-one else can make that decision for you. When my mom went away for the surgery, she didn't tell anyone what she was doing - she told us all she was going on holiday so nobody would worry and try to talk her out of it!
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

it's up to you, ofcourse, but i would strongly advise against any surgery, especially unneccsesary surgery.
    if you try again with the vegan diet and keep at it, i'm sure you will manage to lose weight.
    Just picture an abbitiour every time you want to snack on somethink non-vegan and i'm sure you will go off the idea.
    spirulina is a good option and much less painful.
    Anyway, best of luck to you and don't despair, thousands of people have lost weight without resorting to surgery
    ever watched gillian Mckeith??
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Sent you a private message

I would advise against it as well. I have been e-mailed by way to many people who have had it done, did great the first year and lost a lot of weight. But then it slowly but surely came back. Bottom line, they stayed in their poor eating habits (just ate less of it the first year). In the end they wasted their money and risked their life and health only to have to learn to eat, which should have done in the first place.

Feel free to PM me as well.

The problem with gastric bypass is that eventually what's left of the stomach stretches out, so those who have had the surgery end up gaining the weight back. The unpleasant side effects (extreme flatulence) remain, and the weight returns.
    I was 50 pounds overweight before I managed to lose it, so I can certainly understand the frustration and desperation to lose weight. There are other treatments available-a few years ago I heard about a treatment where they insert something like a pacemaker under the skin just outside the stomach. For the people who had it done, it cut the appetite drastically.
    Losing weight isn't just about controlling appetite-it's about exercise as well. Just a little bit of movement will make a big difference. Find some gentle exercise that you can do-walking, swimming, etc. Exercise helps to control appetite.
    Good luck to you.