Thread: Vegan Prawn Crackers?

Default Vegan Prawn Crackers?

Hi guys, I did a search but could only find restaurants that served them. I've got a craving for spring onion and cucumber in a flour wrap thing, with hoisin sauce and "prawn" crackers.

Anybody know where I can buy vegan 'prawn' crackers, or something similar? I've seen some vegetable crackers around but they all have milk in the flavouring

Also: I've been told that most 'prawn crackers' don't have prawn in them if they're completely white. If they have brown bits in, then they do. Is that true? I don't trust that.

Default Re: Vegan Prawn Crackers?

Asda do some thai crackers in a clear bag with the chinese foods. In our Asda they are actually in the fridge. They have no milk or other animal products in them.

They're pretty damn spicey, though, so they may not hit the spot for everyone.

I wouldn't trust prawn crackers not to have prawn in, either, or at least some kind of fish extract.

Have you tried a Chinese supermarket? I seem to recall the one in Leicester that I used to go to many years ago, had crackers that you fried up yourself and they weren't prawn.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've not tried a chinese supermarket as there isn't one around here. There's a thai shop at the top of Guildford town, but they only had ones with about 8% prawn in them.

I don't mind them spicy I'll have to head to an Asda store. Would be nice to get some less spicy ones for the missus though.

I'm gonna have more of a hunt online. "Vegan Prawn Crackers" on google only pulled up one link, which was to this forum

The veggie thai buffets have them so there must be a wholesaler somewhere.

I also used to get them at Veggie One, a vegetarian restaurant in the Croydon area that has now closed down. They also sold frozen food and mock meats to the trade. They did a fab green version with seaweed in it for a while which was much tastier.

I haven't managed to find any prawn-less ones but feel inspired that they do exist. I used to get blue dragon crispy noodles as a substitute (similar puffed up texture but in little strips) but they started not only putting milk in them but also BEEF extract!!!!!

Quote Marrers View Post
    The veggie thai buffets have them so there must be a wholesaler somewhere.
    Exactly Maybe I should ask the thai buffet places where they get them from? I know they exist, I just can't find them in any of the conventional shops, not even the vegan speciality shops.

Cherry, gutted about the beef in the strips Is it me or is there a conspiracy to put milk powder in *everything*??

Anyone got any good ideas for what would go with hoisin / cucumber wraps? Has anyone tried any of the "vegetarian duck" stuff? I don't even know if that's vegan.

Mock Duck is lovely. And yeah, it should be vegan. It definitely is in the little tins you get in health food shops.
    Drain most of liquid off, stick it in a dish in the oven for 20 minutes to make it a bit crispy.

I've only ever found good pancakes in ASDA - in the fridge next to the duck.

you can buy tinned "mock duck" in Holland & Barrett, i'm not keen on it myself but smothered in hoisin sauce i'm sure it would be passable it depends how keen you are on fake meat i suppose.

i've never seen vegan prawn crackers in any shops either, i've had the crackers they do in the Tai buffet but they're very thick and crunchy, not like real prawn crackers (or so i'm told, i don't think i've ever eaten the real thing).
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Mock dock is FAB!!!! The granose one is health food shops is ok, but the one I used to get from the chinese supermarket was even better. I kind of do what Pob does, but drain ALL the liquid off cos I think it tastes funny, then drizzle over a tiny bit of oil and some thai sweet chilli sauce, before crisping in the oven.

Cherry: there's a great Chinese supermarket in Leicester that's open on Sundays and they do mock duck, mock chicken, and mock abalone. I'm heading up there after Twinkle's bash

Oooh. Thanks for the tip-off

Aye - Wang Fung Hong, next to Leicester Royal Infimary. I've never looked for prawn crackers there, but I get my tofu there often.

I was thinking Veggie World in Bletchley might have crackers, and they do, but not prawn ones, and I can't tell from the picture what they'd be like.