Thread: The omni food at Relay for Life

Default The omni food at Relay for Life

The American Cancer Society holds an annual fundraiser in towns and cities called Relay for Life. People collect pledges to walk around and around a track all night. It turns into a big, civic camp out which is great but they serve all kinds of horrible food. Putting my own AR agenda aside, this event is all about preventing and curing cancer and the teams sell hotdogs, hamburgers and sweets!!!! I considered writing a column for the paper but this event has become almost sacred. It seems people use it as a way of dealing with their own cancer or the death of a loved one due to cancer.

Sigh. A friend of mine was in hospital in America after a minor heart attack and said that the food he was offered seemed to be exactly the stuff the medics advise you not to eat. He had trouble getting any vegan food at all while he was in there.

I gather it's not much different in UK hospitals from the link gertvegan posted a while back. On the plus side the "Observer" article he posted yesterday suggests that the medical establishment may be starting to see the value of a vegan diet for preventing cancer.