Thread: Do you take food on a trip?

roger

Default Do you take food on a trip?

To me, one of the most difficult thing about being a vegan is to find decent food in airports, etc. What do you do, you take food with you or just hope for the best?

Pedro

Default Re: Do you take food on a trip?

Take food with to be safe but also request a vegan meal for the plane ride.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

sugarmouse

When I visit my parents I sometimes take salad dressings or vegan ready meals with me, they usually make sure they have food for me, or we eat out, but just in case!

I do, just in case there isn't anything!

Usually if I'm lucky though I can get a packet of crisps/potato chips...ready salted/original!

lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Airports? Forget it. Some won't even let you take food through customs. Nuts and crackers and vegan muesli/granola bars are your best friends. Vegan meal on a plane isn't always vegan. They try but I'm never confident.

I get really hungry travelling. Sometimes it is near impossible to find anything other than fruit, vegetables, bread (which can contain milk products etc.) and nuts. I always make a beeline for a turkish takeaway. They've usually got something.

Sugarmouse what kind of dressings do you take? Ones that don't need to be refrigerated?

I make PB&J sandwiches. Take some granola, carrots, and cereal. Also luna bars

Falafel and a spliff

I always sneak my own food.

roger

Good answers people. Thanks. The main problem for me is while waiting in airports. It's often difficult to find something decent to eat. Let alone vegan food!

Last time I flew I took a HUGE bag of food with me. The whole trip took over 12 hours. I took pb&j sandwiches, fruit, granola, jelly beans, soy jerky, and more stuff I can't remember...Oh, and the snack mix they gave us on the plane was vegan!

I thought most airports where getting stricter with food?

I've never travelled further than a few hours...and I took food then, but that was before they got even more strict!

God help me if I ever decide to go further!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

You seem to be allowed to take your own food through UK airports as long as it doesn't involve liquids. Fresh fruit seems to be acceptable (even though it's not exactly dry).

I usually take at least an apple or two and some nuts in when I travel, although hummus sandwiches seem to be becoming more prevalent at UK airports (unless the current hummus scare has affected the supply!).

I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of airport security at the moment so I'd just take nothing, if there was nothing to eat at the airport and nothing to eat on the plane then I'd just wait till I got to my destination. I'm sure I'd be able to find something though.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I don't know what the rules are in other countries, but in the US it's perfectly fine to bring food through security and on the plane. You're not allowed to bring any liquids through security, but if you buy a drink after you pass security you can bring that on the plane. Since we flew really early last time (left the house at 3:30AM, boarded the plane around 8), I brought OJ with me and had it with breakfast before we went through security. Oh, you also can't bring hard containers like tupperware. I think I may have made a cucumber & tomato salad and put it in a ziploc baggie.

I always take food if I am going to be away from home for more than a few hours. I don't cope well with being hungry and I don't ever assume I will be able to get vegan food unless I have phoned ahead, but I would still take a snack just in case. A lot of places will sell very overpriced salty sugary snacks to captive passengers so its worth planning ahead.
    I take a bag of dried fruit and nuts most places. I also take the small soya drinks with a built in straw. If I know I will be away for all day I take a proper packed lunch.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

The last time I flew somewhere I brought along a bunch of Clif Bars. I was actually quite suprised at the amount of energy I had. I spent a good amount of time swimming and kayaking and I never felt underfed--quite the contrary, I felt highly energetic without solid meals. However, I'm never quite sure about the Clif Bar. They say that they have no animal ingredients but there are just so many ingredients on the label. And, of course, the plane did not provide the vegan meal I ordered.

I generally bring mixed nuts, some dried fruit (sometimes some dried ginger) and Clif Bars. That gets me through the trip at least until I get settled in my destination and find out about the food. For me, the biggest issue is creamer for my coffee. Not many places have soy creamer and not all hotel rooms have a fridge to keep my own in. Frustrating.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

i was in france a couple of weeks ago. i made three sammies per person (we were two), and brought some granola bars, and friut bars and wallaby bars. -they are the best when travelling!
    no problem there.. but i ALWAYS bring food, if i'm going far away. there's nothing worse than having nothing to eat and being hungry.