Thread: Nearly 19000 animals killed pr. minute in USA alone

Default Nearly 19000 animals killed pr. minute in USA alone

Farmed animals are the most exploited and least protected group of animals in the world. 27 million are killed in the United States alone each day, nearly 19,000 per minute – equating to a tragic total of 10 billion animals per year.
    A meat-based diet requires 10-20 times as much land as a plant-based diet. Nearly half of the world's grains and soybeans are fed to animals, resulting in a huge waste of food calories. The extent of waste is such that even a 10% drop in US meat consumption would make sufficient food available to feed the world's starving millions.

Moreover, animal agriculture has been devastating the world's agricultural land. The process begins with clear-cutting of forests to create cattle pastures. Eventually, the pastures are plowed under and used to grow animal feed crops. Depletion of topsoil and minerals begins soon after the trees are cut down and escalates with tilling. Without the plant growth to hold it in place, topsoil, laden with minerals, fertilizer, and organic debris, is carried by the runoff of rain and melting snow into nearby streams. The insatiable demand for animal feed crops leads to the use of sloping land with greater runoff and arid land requiring irrigation. Irrigation accounts for more than 80% of all water available for human use, leading to widespread water shortages. More information is available from the Global Hunger Alliance.
    Read more here.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Nearly 19000 animals killed pr. minute in USA alone

Depressing reading, but thanks for the link anyway.

So sad...

Great facts to have though for agument sake... so cheers

stats like this as bonobo says are good to have for arguments, but utterly depressing.
    i am in no way demeaning the holocaust or the victims and survivors, but 6 million then is a drop in the ocean compared to the 27 million + animals killed per day in one country alone! (continent rather)
    i hope in some years time (sooner rather than later) the suffering of animals can be ended. but seeing as slavery among people exists i wouldnt hold my breath
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

i wish i lived in an alternate reality where no-one ate animals, not even animals
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

BlackDog

Thread titles like this make me feel that it's pointless being vegan.
    Most vegans are well aware of the degree of animal suffering and don't need such reminders, which can only depress and discourage.

It would be a lot more depressing if people who know about this choose not to be vegans, wouldn't it?

@Korn worse thing is so many people do know and ignore it.

I cant even comprehend the amount of suffering we are causing. The figures are staggering, im guessing china is 100x worse, then add up all the countries etc and you could be looking at a trillion plus easily killed for our use!!! Sometimes, infact most times, i just wanna go to sleep and never wake up :-(

Sometimes, infact most times, i just wanna go to sleep and never wake up :-(
    Don't, because that won't help anyone...

@Korn worse thing is so many people do know and ignore it.
    Send them over here.

[QUOTE=sindii;656432]@Korn worse thing is so many people do know and ignore it.

I cant even comprehend the amount of suffering we are causing. QUOTE]

What do you mean we? It's not your fault, you know, or anyone else here on the forum!!

I know it's depressing but better that we are here to try to help and encourage others to become vegan.
    if you went to sleep and never woke up you wouldn't be helping the animals at all!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Sorry. I didn't mean to phrase it that I didn't wanna be here or would do anything silly. My mind grows very weak by what i see, read and here everyday. I understand me being here allows me to help but when i see these kind of figures, i feel very very sad. Noone could help these poor creatures, every second I breath, unimaginable suffering and dying is happening and only us 'freaks,' 'losers,' or weirdos,' as society likes to think of us, care at all.

When I look into an animals eyes I know they feel love, happiness, fear and PAIN. I watch birds fly, and just because they dont wanna play xbox or go to a restaraunt, doesn't mean they dont wanna live and be free from evil.

Add to these figures, animals killed or cruelly exploited just in the US, for the fur trade, for testing, animal feed ie as pet food for other captive animals, those killed by traffic, cats and dogs in impounds, those killed for sport ie hunting, those killed by deforesting, dog fighting, random cruelty etc etc etc etc and it blows my mind that WE, the human race, can go about life as we do with this all HIDDEN in the background!

I agree sindii my mind just boggles and I have too look at what I can change not what I cant, at last you are not part of the problem now............ but it makes me very sad as well

thanks for the link

I was searching App store on my iPhone today and found an "animal-killed counter"
    I would've liked to download it, just to show people how many animals are killed for our enjoyment every minute of every day, but I just couldn't stand to see the numbers grow...

I opted for the list of animal-cruelty free products and the E-numbers list instead
    At least I won't be a part of that counting of slaughters!
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

its just truly truly shameful isnt it? I despair about our misguided race

Hmmm ..

Based on a USA population of 60,000,000 that equates to every single American eating just under one half of a whole animal per day.

Based on WHO figures of one child dying every 6 seconds from starvation, malnutrition and related diseases; Every 1,900 overfed animals going through the slaughter house is also the slaughter of one underfed child.

That equates to every single American kinda choosing to kill a child every ten years in order that they can eat not as they need but simply as they wish.

If the wretched lives of those children who eventualy succumb averages 10 years then that means that every single day of an American meat eaters life is matched by a day of suffering the pains of hunger, starvation and related diseases for one child elsewhere in the world.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Yes, and anyone who has been to a slaughter house knows about how inhumane man is towards animals but the reality is that most of these animals slaughtered for meat would have probably never have had a life to begin with if it wasn't for the demand for their flesh. I'm a vegan and extremely empathetic towards all animals so I hope nobody misinterprets the point that I am raising, yet this dilemma is kind of a double edge sword, for who would raise cows and steers but for the purpose of meat and dairy consumption. Maybe, the idea is just let them roam wild again and have mother nature determine their existence.

Quote BlackDog View Post
    Thread titles like this make me feel that it's pointless being vegan.
    Most vegans are well aware of the degree of animal suffering and don't need such reminders, which can only depress and discourage.
    I don't think it's pointless being vegan. Of course I want many, many more people to choose this way of living, and of course I know that not enough impact is felt because of my own choice, but I am so glad I'm vegan. At the very least, I don't ingest that suffering into my very body.

Quote goodoldrebel View Post
    Yes, and anyone who has been to a slaughter house knows about how inhumane man is towards animals but the reality is that most of these animals slaughtered for meat would have probably never have had a life to begin with if it wasn't for the demand for their flesh. I'm a vegan and extremely empathetic towards all animals so I hope nobody misinterprets the point that I am raising, yet this dilemma is kind of a double edge sword, for who would raise cows and steers but for the purpose of meat and dairy consumption. Maybe, the idea is just let them roam wild again and have mother nature determine their existence.
    But the lives that they have are beyond horrific, and they die extremely violent, painful deaths. The existence of so many livestock burden and already suffering planet.

I'm reading Slaughterhouse, and it makes me feel like a fool. I had no idea it was THIS bad, this horrific. : ( Especially here in America, there is no thought to welfare of man nor beast, it's all about corporate profits.\

Quote Brigetta B View Post
    But the lives that they have are beyond horrific, and they die extremely violent, painful deaths. The existence of so many livestock burden and already suffering planet.

I'm reading Slaughterhouse, and it makes me feel like a fool. I had no idea it was THIS bad, this horrific. : ( Especially here in America, there is no thought to welfare of man nor beast, it's all about corporate profits.\
    True, yet even with kosher slaughter there is still some pain. What can we do, humans have evolved to be omnivores even though currently eating meat has been stigmatized. The human dilemma is a difficult balancing act. It's hard to generalize and find a diet that works without some negative trade off.