Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegan egg alternative / egg replacer

Default Re: Egg replacement?

Most recipes suggest using vegetable oil as a binder, which does work to an extent. Personally I've set to see a recipe using normal household stuff for burgers that will cook well on a BBQ. Generally the moisture content is too high and their either fall appart or cook poorly.

Quote Holly78
    I have got some 'egg replacer' from Holland & Barrett which I have used as an ingredient to make cakes rise
    Eggs don't make cakes rise, they act as you say above as a binding agent. From wikipedia:

Cakes normally combine some kind of wheat byproduct, a sweetening agent (commonly sugar), a binding agent (generally egg, though gluten or starch are often used by vegetarians and vegans), fats (usually butter or margarine, although a fruit puree can be substituted to avoid using fat), a liquid (milk, water or fruit juice), flavours and some form of leavening agent (such as yeast or baking powder).

I personally believe from my own research that eggs in cake are rather redundant. I can only assume that they were traditionally included as an extra source of protein not as a good ingredient for successful cakes.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Egg replacement?

I've made kidney bean burgers a couple of times where I mash the beans and add couscous and breadcrumbs as a binding agent - seems to work well! You need to leave the mixture to stand though, about five minutes, and add enough liquid so that the couscous softens.

Default Re: Vegan egg substitute / egg replacer

I just got my first EnerG or whatever it is off of veganstore.co.uk... I haven't actually used it it yet though. It says it can be used for making a merangue 'topping' and also in quiches. Has anyone ever tried either of these and does it turn out any good? I can't quite picture it working in a quiche: eggs are usually a feature of a quiche, whereas this will be just some sort of binding agent... I haven't had a good look at it yet so sorry if these are stupid queries!

Default Re: Vegan egg substitute / egg replacer

I'm not a baking expert, Jamie, but I think tofu would be better for merangue and quiches. I think the powdered egg replacer is best in cakes, cookies, and stuff that need an egg or two to "bind" the ingredients.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Thumbs up A Secret Egg Alternative

When I was at school I chose to do Food Technology for my GCSE. I was currently vegetarian when I started this subject so I chose to do vegetarian food, but half way through I turned to vegan and I learn't a great way to make cakes instead of using eggs, my teacher suggested using 1 banana as a substitute for 1 egg and that week I made the cake with bananas and it was great! So yeah.. Bananas! And, it makes the taste even more sweeter!!
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 21st, 2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: A Secret Egg Alternative

yeah, i use bananas as egg substitutes all the time i've made so many different kinds of brownies and cakes with bananas.

however, if you're planning on using bananas, keep in mind that the taste of the bananas will be very noticeable in the cake.

another egg substitute is ground flax seeds with a little bit of water...i've been meaning to try that.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Hi Leanne - it's good your school was so helpful about letting you do veg*n food for your course. Not sure they all would be! Did you find it easy to adapt the course material?

Excellent! I'll try that! I don't like using egg replacement powder because it makes the food rubbery so I'll always go for the natural version.
    Silent but deadly :p

In fruit cake/madeira type cakes I just don't use anything to replace the eggs - I keep the mixture quite stiff - never really had a problem.
    I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

It isn't that secret.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Default Re: Vegan egg alternative / egg replacer

I used banana a year or two ago to make pancakes, not suprisingly it made banana flavoured pancakes, they weren't very nice - pancakes shouldn't taste of banana.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

apple baby food works too - I have a recipe for apple cinnamon muffins that also works well as a cake (it's in La Dolce Vegan I think), and I use 'apple sauce' (it's just pureed apple, it's handy to buy the baby food jars/tins of it rather than DIY!) and of course it doesn't affect it since it's an apple flavoured thing anyway.

There is a whole list of things in LDV that can be used in place of eggs. Tofu is another one - silken I think!

I'd like to try the flax seeds sometime too - can I just use a pestle and mortar to grind them into powder? I have a P&M that's not been used yet!

yeah, you can grind the flax seed with a P&M and then add a little bit of water (i'm not sure of the ratio of flax seeds to water, but i'll try looking it up)

and i've tried the apple sauce too and it does work very well. risker, i think it would work well for you if you don't like using a banana in your pancakes (i personally prefer a banana over apple sauce in my pancakes)
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

:O

This is one major thing I have had trouble with since becoming vegan a year ago.
    I just can't make caked like I used to! I've tried the egg replacer but it really doesn't work!!

I have so much trouble trying to make cakes

there are loads of great vegan cake recipes, Sarah. have you got any cookbooks?

there is also the alternative of:

1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 tablespoons flour
    3 tablespoons water
    Simply add all four ingredients and whisk together until foamy [about a minute or so].

This is perfect for any sort of recipe. I've found this is equivalent to about 2 whole eggs.

or:
    2 tablespoon water
    1 tablespoon tapioca flour
    1 tablespoon coconut oil (or other oil but coconut is best)
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    Mix the flour and baking powder. Then add the oil and water and beat until it forms peaks. This is best for sweet pastries like cakes and cookies. Another option is to add a teaspoon of protein powder. This equals 1 egg. Double or triple for multiple eggs.

i also heard that for binding you can use 1 tablespoon soya flour, 1 tablespoon tomato puree, 1/2 banana, 3 tablespoon apple puree, 1/4 cup pureed tofu or corn flour
    to rise you can also use 1 tablespoon soya flour with 1 tablespoon water whisked unti foamy, in cakes soya milk instead of water, for pancakes sparkling water instead of stil water, 1/2 banana (or 3 tablespoons apple puree/2 tablespoons flour/2 tablespoons water with 1 1/2 teaspoon oil) with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

i have a question about eggs alternative as well. since my mom really loves baking (and she ain't vegan), she sort of needs a bit convincing before making vegan recipes, and last time it really didn't work out well, so here's my question:

how to replace beaten egg whites in recipe? it's supposed to make sweets light and fluffy and egg replacer doesn't work well.

another question - how to replace only egg yolks? they're usually mixed with sugar etc before adding the egg whites snow :/.

thanks for help, much appreciated
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

i remember there were some instructions on the package of the orgran egg replacer. but i don´t have one around at the moment, unfortunately. maybe anyone else?

I'm no baker, but I believe people use baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to "raise" a cake mixture in a similar way to beaten egg whites. Egg replacer or soya flour would probably do instead of the yolks, and I believe some people use fruit puree.

You might be better off getting hold of a few vegan cake recipes and asking your mum to try those first, as I think that would be easier than adapting egg-based recipes. I know you said it had gone wrong before but there are some cake recipes here on the forum which I expect people have tried out and will answer questions about.

pathologist

My experience is that vegan cake is much nicer and moister than "normal" cake. Also it seems to be much easier to make, less messy and quicker. You just need to buy a good vegan baking book or - of course follow the recipes in this forum-(well as other people have already said)- I think most people here have found "Vegan Cupcakes rule the World" absolutely fantastic - it does not use "Egg Replacer" and the recipes just work perfectly

i remember bicarbonate of soda as a good rising agent as well! i heard it is commonly used at muffins for example, that´s why they tend to rise so well.

or if you can´t get a book, there are loads of recipes at vegweb.com. i´m sure you´d find somthin suitable there!

Default Egg replacer

I've been involved sporadically in the whacky world of vegan baking.

and often enough you see ENER-G egg replacer in the lists of ingredients. Or egg substitute. Which is a product, that I've never seen in stores. Plus if I can avoid it, some simple ingredients around the house are sure to work. While I do understand a few possible ones, Bananas, flax seeds, apple sauce.

However I plan on baking a cake soon, I'm wondering what would be best for that

Or just general egg replacements forum members use often. I'd be interested in hearing about what you guys have mustered up.

Default Re: Egg Replacer

Depending on the recipe I might not try to replace an egg, just use self raising flour or baking powder. Depends what the original function of the egg(s) was in the recipe - if you post a recipe we'll probably be able to come up with subs
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I agree.

I think that the best vegan cakes are ones that are made to be vegan, and aren't ones that are designed to be used with eggs and then converted, so I tend to avoid any recipes that have egg replacer in them.

What sort of cake were you planning on making? There are plenty of cake recipes about that don't use egg replacer

Hi all, I did myself a favor and looked at some vegan baking books at the bookstore today and picked one up because I had a gift card. You were right about them not using necessary any "egg replacer" or anything really gooey to hold them together.

So I'll give that a go and leave this thread open to egg-replacing suggestions for other users and perhaps some non-vegan recipes that are too irresistible not to be converted. I might have some coming up seeing that I get this beer and brewing culture magazine that often has cuisine a la Bière recipes in it and this months issue has some cookies utilizing beer. If I ever get my hands on some of the strange stuff like Belgian Candi sugar I may look here to advice on how to replace the eggs in the recipe.

Egg replacer is designed for new vegans to crudely perform the function of eggs in recipes they already make. Generally the results you get are pretty crap, but sometimes you can get lucky.

I concur with Twinkle and Cherry; most recipes can be redesigned to avoid needing either eggs or a replacer. If you do find recipes posted on the Internet calling for it there's a good chance the author doesn't really understand the chemistry of their recipe and the results won't be particularly great.
    Last edited by Mr Flibble; Jan 19th, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I'm not a great or frequent baker but have always had good result using egg replacer (in vegan cake recipes which call for it, I don't adapt recipes myself as there are plenty of already vegan cake recipes). I mostly use recipes from The Cake Scoffer booklet by Ronnie. Her lemon drizzle cake with egg replacer is amazing.
    Also available here.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I use soy milk (or rice milk) with a little cider vinegar to bind cakes together, which works nicely. Soy cream could also provide a binding agent.

I've found some cookies (well, not the actual cookies. The recipe) in an old non-vegan book that are egg-free coincidentally - the only binder is masses of golden syrup

I agree with those not using egg-replacer, I never found it necessary...

Only time I 'replace' egg is for Yorkshire puddings...I use a tbs of cornflour for each egg mixed to a thick paste with hot but not boiling water...seemed to work ok unless really cripsy Yorkshires are wanted (never achieved them but then I prefer the slightly soggy ones :P)

Default Egg replacer

Hi, I'm sure this question has been answered, but I am new to the forum. I have a recipe for a white bean burger, but it calls for an egg, which I'm assuming is for binding purposes. What else can I use? I've been told Ener-G, but I thought that was only for baking?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 21st, 2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

I have found ground flaxseed makes the best egg replacer for cakes, when blended for a couple of minutes with water it really takes on a consistency very similar to egg white. The book the Joy of Vegan Baking uses flaxseed in a lot of the recipes or Ener-G egg replacer. I have not seen Ener-G on sale here in the UK but the egg replacers that are available I have not found very effective.

Veganstore.co.uk sells Ener-G egg replacer.
    http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=610

Just yesterday I baked a batch of brownies from a brownie mix (Ghriliadeli Double Chocolate Brownie mix is in the accidentally vegan list) and I used apple sauce as a substitute for eggs. I saw it recommended somewhere, but I don't remember where. Either way my brownies came out fantastic. They were soft and gooey just as brownies should be and very delicious. I bought a pack of the individual apple sauce packets and used one individual cup in place of one egg. I think it worked out well, especially since I didn't have enough oil to fill the 1/3 cup required for the recipe.

Being a new vegan there are a lot of things that I have not yet tried, actual egg substitutes like Ener-G Egg being one of them. But I have no complaints about using applesauce as a substitute for eggs in this fashion. I don't know if it would be different if you were doing the recipe from scratch, but I don't see why it would be.

I'm glad someone asked this question as I have always wondered the same thing as I've been thinking of cakes to make and wondered wha to put in them unstead of egg, but I think I may just try to make ones specifically designed to be vegan as I'm not very experienced with cooking and wouldn't want to end up with a bad result :-|

Default Is there really an egg replacer?

I made an omelette following a recipe out of the happy herbivore called "the nomlette" ...it used mori nu extra firm silken tofu and a couple of other things. It was the most horrific tasting thing I have ever put in my mouth. It tasted like someone put a piece of cardboard in the oven baked it, then let it sit out in the rain, threw it in a dark closet for a couple of days and served it up to me. I guess I never really liked real eggs to begin with so why did I even try to make fake ones?

I guess though my question is there something weird about that particular tofu??? because I made lasagna roll ups with just a basic extra firm tofu and made a ricotta like substance, still it tasted nuttier and way better for you, but I liked it, that recipe was good.

i am not super in to the replacer stuff...the replacer meats, etc etc. i mostly just eat raw stuff and basic cooked meals...lots of salads with cous cous and chick a peas in them.
    But i am trying to get creative. Maybe I should stop, I do not have the acquired taste for burned moldy cardboard.

Default Re: Is there really an egg replacer?q

Heheh, sorry to be unsympathetic but your description is hilarious.

I think I have had that kind of tofu and not found it particularly disgusting so I think it must have been the couple of other things - what were they? Or maybe the process.

I'm with you, I didn't like omelettes in the first place. I do quite like pseudo omelettes made with chick pea flour though - have you tried that? I think it's actually a traditional thing to have in some parts of Europe, rather than a substitute. This is the basic recipe http://www.beyond.fr/food/soccadenice.html though I generally add a lot of cubed vegetables to mine and cook it for more than 6 minutes in a less hot oven..

Well, I guess omelette is one of the more difficult things to 'replace', possibly topped only by trying to emulate a soft-boiled egg. S
    So I try to do without these...

What I really like, however is the PPK's scrambled tofu ...

Best regards,
    Andy

leedsveg

I used to make "nomlettes" from Cauldron firm tofu and they were always ok. But then Cauldron imported the tofu from the USA, it was less firm and nowhere near as cookable/nice, so I stopped making them. Maybe if you find an alternative tofu, Kim, you will be more successful? Good luck anyway!

Leedsveg

Gram-flour omelettes made with black salt are pretty close to the real thing if you ask me.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Thank you guys very much,....my breakfast consists of 3 different kinds of melon, a peach or a pear, raw almonds, tea, vitamins and water. And then lunch is grilled oakra and a gigantic plate of raw vegetables and raw cashews, second dose of vitamins way more water. and then there is more snacking on fruit and vegetables, i normally always have something baked, like right now i have pumpkin bread made from a real baking pumpkin, i may have a slice of that and then dinner is normally like the same 6 meals i have always made, stuffed eggplant, or a Hawaiian teriyaki chick a pea bowl, or baked wontons with rice beans and veggies on top (my version of nachos) or a cous cous salad, portobello steaks. as much as i love all of these foods and still enjoy them, it gets redundant so i am trying new stuff. Like i said very new to the replacers and even tofu for that matter. the jury is still out if i am going to ever really acquire the taste for it. But i am open to try out anything new......even if it ends up tasting like burned moldy cardboard ( :

oh the ingredients were mori nu extra firm silken tofu, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, chickpea flour, cornstarch, non dairy milk, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste...and it was baked in the oven.

maybe i did something wrong, but i will not be trying it again to find out...goodbye eggs and fake eggs.

I'm not mad about onion powder, and the combination of chickpea flour (i.e. gram flour) and tofu sounds a bit dodgy to me though I like both on their own. It still seems quite an achievement to produce such a rebarbative result with common ingredients though

Generally I think tofu works best marinated and added to oriental dishes like stirfries.

yes it was quite an accomplishment, and that is why i love this cookbook, she does an excellent job at combining few ingredients, raw and healthy to make some pretty amazing entrees, cakes, pies, breakfast foods. And yes it looked exactly like an omelette. however, as i have pointed out, it did not taste like one. for example, i made a vegan pumpkin cheese cake. the graham crack crust was only whole wheat graham crackers, 5 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce and some cinnamon. it was the best crust i have ever had, the whole cheesecake was amazing. the filling was my fresh pumpkin and vegan cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and brown sugar. i had non vegans who dont even like pumpkin try it and they couldnt believe me that it was vegan it tasted soooo good. Her baking recipes in this cookbook are all very tasty, super low in fat, if there even is any and made from the simplest of ingredients, no sugar or fat added and still taste great. She also has non-soy recipes that I really love like the hawaiin teryaki chickapea bowl with a homeade mango/pineapple salsa over brown rice. I am finding it hard to accept the tofu recipes, but like i said i am willing to try, although i will always eat soy products minimally as i believe they can too be unhealthy if not moderated. i will try marinating tofu.

Andy_T ....thank you, i went to this website and surfed around. I will most DEFINITELY be heavily using this to cook. How much fun? I love punk music, i am a punk girl and i am from ny...that is a rad website. It is in my favorite book marks, thank you!!!!!!!

I usually bake/cook without egg replacer, but I'm stuck with one recipe, a german cheesecake I got from my mum and grandmum, that needs three white eggs beaten stiff to give the cake a very light, fluffy, aery texture... I've bought an egg replacer and ... didn't manage to beat it stiff as instructed... ... my OH was also sceptical at my attempt...

The cheesecake ended up being not as light as the non vegan. (though it still is very lovely)
    Can someone give me some tips to get this egg replacer to work?
    http://www.orgran.com/images/10324.jpg

Thanks!
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 9th, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Quote Bjorn View Post
    I usually bake/cook without egg replacer, but I'm stuck with one recipe, a german cheesecake I got from my mum and grandmum, that needs three white eggs beaten stiff to give the cake a very light, fluffy, aery texture... I've bought an egg replacer and ... didn't manage to beat it stiff as instructed... ... my OH was also sceptical at my attempt...

The cheesecake ended up being not as light as the non vegan. (though it still is very lovely)
    Can someone give me some tips to get this egg replacer to work?
    http://www.orgran.com/images/10324.jpg

Thanks!
    Wish I could help but I havent attempted anything that requires whipping up a meringue type of recipe or replacement for egg whites with egg replacer. I have been researching it however and have a recipe for a vegan angel food cake to try when I find the time and courage believe it or not. When I google "vegan meringue" I get a few suggestions on how to whip up egg replacer to get it light and fluffy like egg whites but it's specific to the recipe. You could try that. Did you add sugar to the egg replacer when whipping it to try to get the egg white effect? Just curious. I have used egg replacer for cookies and that sort of thing with no problem but I didnt have to whip it to the consistancy of egg white either. I'd love to hear from someone with success replacing egg whites too!

You just opened up the biggest can of worms for the culinary world when dealing with vegan lifestyle. Eggs have unique properties, coming from their complex composition of fats, proteins, and moisture. Therefore, all commercial egg substitutes are some chemical mixture that is designed to simulate this. With more than a decade of culinary arts under my belt [by the way, the folds of a chef's hat represent the thousands of ways to prepare eggs], I can't stand egg substitutes or simply trying to convert a recipe from having eggs to not having eggs with the use of a substitute in baking. It just doesn't work!
    Baking is chemistry, so unless you know culinary chemistry, stick to recipes designed for vegan cooking. If you know a bit about chemistry, remember the following when you try to design vegan baked goods:

1. Flaky crusts come from the relation of fats to water in a suspension of flour.
    2. Leavening without yeast is created by a relationship of base to acid (i.e. baking soda & cream of tartar or citric acid).
    3. Softness of a baked good directly relates to the amount of fat and moisture retained in the finished product.
    4. Crispiness of a baked good also relates to the amount of fat and moisture retained in the finished product.
    5. Browning can come from protein or sugars.
    6. Sweetness is enhanced by salt.
    7. Over-baking whole grains results in bitterness.

Keep these principles in mind, and if you're a budding culinary chemist, you may design the best new vegan recipe yet.

A favorite recipe of mine is vegan pancakes, which most chefs run screaming from, so if you can master this, you can impress almost any cook:

Vegan Pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour [this is a finer ground flour with some of the wheat hulls removed, which is truly the only choice for a product that doesn't have the bitter burnt bran taste of standard whole wheat flour]
    1/2 cup pureed chickpeas
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup almond butter
    2 Tbsp coconut oil
    2 Tbsp sesame oil
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup brown rice syrup or maple syrup
    1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
    1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)

Combine ingredients in food processor or blender and whip at high speed until the texture is a slightly thickened liquid that will just coat the back of a spoon. If it is too thick, simply add more water 1 Tablespoon at a time Cook on a preheated, lightly greased griddle or skillet as you would traditional pancakes, turning after small bubbles appear in the center of the pancake. Serve with warm fruit puree or maple syrup.

Bon Appetite!

Thanks so much for the vegan pancake recipe. I haven't had much success with pancakes using the Ener-G Eggs or just eliminating eggs. I tried substituting cornstarch & water, but that wasn't too tasty either. I can wait to try your recipe!
    For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” Pythagoras

I make pancakes with no substitute, and also use it as a waffle batter.

Vegan Pancakes
    (The Joy of Vegan Baking)
    Ingredients:
    1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (or half all-purpose and half whole wheat)
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup non-dairy milk (we used soy)
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    3 tablespoons liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or apple juice concentrate (we used orange juice)
    Additional oil or vegan butter for cooking (optional – depends on your pan)
    Method:
    Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, oil and sweetener.
    Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until moistened, a few lumps are okay (Don’t overmix or the pancakes will be tough).Heat a nonstick pan over a medium head. (add some oil if required but with a nonstick pan you won’t need it)Pour the batter onto the griddle to form circles about 10cm in diameter. Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes on one side, until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until golden brown.This recipe makes 8 to 10 (super delicious) pancakes.

I add a teaspoon or so of apple cider vinegar to the soymilk to make a buttermilk too.

An addition to the egg-replacer-free pancake receipes: http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/puffy-pillow-pancakes/ I can never get them as puffy as in the photograph but they do turn out really nicely
    Houmous atá ann!