Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegan egg alternative / egg replacer

Thumbs up Vegan egg alternative / egg replacer

The explanation on the package is not very clear. I need fluffy stiff egg white for a chocolate mousse.

is this an egg-substitute? where are you from? is it available in the UK?

i have an old recipe that was out of this world, pure indulgence - unfortunately it had whisked egg white in. i'd like to make a freindly-version of it!!

Yes, I'm in the UK. The egg replacer was bought through veganstore.co.uk

I'm afraid all the vegan chocolate desserts I've had or made have been more like blancmange than mousse. (Some were yummy though.) Does the egg replacer packaging imply it can be used instead of egg whites? I thought they were more often used instead of whole eggs.

There is what purports to be a recipe for vegan chocolate mousse on here and it's just made with chocolate, soy "cream" and brandy (I imagine you could substitute e.g. strong coffee or fruit juice if you wanted a non-alcoholic version). I would be interested to know what that is like if anyone tries it....

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/mousse.htm

There are one or two others if you google for "vegan chocolate mousse"

Quote Leonor
    The explanation on the package is not very clear. I need fluffy stiff egg white for a chocolate mousse.

A friend of mine makes chocolate mousse with silken tofu, and coconut milk. If the coconut milk is very cold, it whips up pretty well. I have never tried to make it, but she does and it tastes and looks great.

regards,
    globesetter

Quote globesetter
    A friend of mine makes chocolate mousse with silken tofu, and coconut milk. If the coconut milk is very cold, it whips up pretty well. I have never tried to make it, but she does and it tastes and looks great.

regards,
    globesetter

post the recipe please

Default Baking with egg substitutes

Hi all,

Has anyone done any baking of cakes, cookies, etc. with egg substitutes? I was thinking of the egg substitute that is commercially produced by EnergE Foods (I can't remember how the name was spelled). But if anyone has any experience with using dates, tofu or pureed fruit, please share that also. Are the baked goods pretty similar to the regular?

Thanks for any comments.

Newcook

do you specifically want to use egg substitute? you can make some fantastic cakes etc without the direct egg substitute product.

check out my choc chip brownie recipe on the recipe post!

my family insists i make this one regularly!!!!!

I made some muffins (American style muffins, more like British rock cakes or "fairy cakes" as we used to call them) recently using a recipe that has mashed bananas as its base and they were very good I thought - I even fed them to my mother-in-law successfully. It's someone else's recipe but I can probably get permission to post it if anyone's interested.

It's ages since I made anything like that as I fortunately don't have a sweet tooth (more of a "fat tooth") but it seemed to be less trouble than I remember with conventional cake recipes - easier to mash a banana than mess around with breaking eggs etc. Yet another good reason for being vegan

Also my mother kindly makes me a vegan Christmas cake (i.e. a fruit cake with lots of booze) each year and after the first few years she decided not to bother with the egg replacer because the fruit kind of glues it together without. I can probably get that recipe too if anyone wants it though it isn't exactly the time of year.

cedarblue,

Thanks for the recipe, but I'm allergic to chocolate. I get a migraine from it. Thanks for letting me know that baked goods can successfully be made without eggs.

harpy,

Thanks for your reply. I have many recipes that use egg substitutes or no eggs as your recipe has done. I just wanted to hear from some real people (not cookbook authors) that they tasted good before I go through the trouble to try and make some. Thanks for your input.

Robin Robertson's book, "Vegan Planet" lists about 4 different egg substitutes (from tofu and baking powder to Ener-G Egg Replacer to ground flaxseeds to pureed fruit and baking powder). I was wondering if they all worked and if they were easily substituted into any recipe. She has some yummy looking dessert recipes, but I don't want to be disappointed, so I thought I'd check here first.

Newcook

I have used prune puree, applesauce, tofu, and Ener-G egg replacer with positive results, but I wouldn't necessarily call them egg replacers myself, as I believe eggs stolen from hens don't believe in human recipes in the first place.

Oh, I have made recipes that contain flax seeds (ground), too, with success. I repeat that I wouldn't necessarily call the flax seeds a replacer for anything; the flax seeds are simply a part of the recipe.

Newcook, you might be better starting with your recipes that are already vegan rather than trying to adapt others, which I imagine will be easier once you have a bit of experience in cooking this way.

As to whether it tastes good, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, because banana, flax etc all contribute positively to the flavour of the end product whereas eggs didn't really in my opinion (mind you I never really liked eggs so perhaps I'm not the best judge!)

what i usually use as an egg sub in recipes is 1 tsp of arrowroot powder + 1 tsp of water. this works well becasue it makes stuff light & fluffly (i use it pancake mix & works perfectly). however, sometimes you'll want to add a little extra milk or water or oil to make up for the bulk that you would get with a real egg.

try the shortbread recipe on recipe post then - its a bit crumbly but still yummy!

Artichoke47,

Thanks for letting me know about your positive experiences cooking without eggs. I agree that we shouldn't call it egg replacer, but I didn't know how to say it so everyone knew what I meant.

harpy,

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised. I liked eggs very much, although I don't know how much flavor they add in baked goods. It just seemed that it had some kind of magic binding quality or something because most recipes for baked goods that are non-vegan have them.

i like deer,

I'll keep your substitution in mind as well. I think the easiest one for me is the tofu and baking powder since I always have tofu on hand. But if I bought a box of arrowroot, that might work as well. Thanks.

cedarblue,

I'll check out the shortbread recipe. Thanks. I love shortbread!

Newcook

Default flaxseed eggs rock!

Quote Newcook
    Robin Robertson's book, "Vegan Planet" lists about 4 different egg substitutes (from tofu and baking powder to Ener-G Egg Replacer to ground flaxseeds to pureed fruit and baking powder). I was wondering if they all worked and if they were easily substituted into any recipe. She has some yummy looking dessert recipes, but I don't want to be disappointed, so I thought I'd check here first.
    I love the flax seed substitute! Just tried it for the first time this morning, and it's amazing. When you first grind up the flax seeds with water, it looks all liquid. I let it sit for a minute or two while I got distracted with some other part of the recipe I was making (the ginger-cashew scones in the Vegan Planet, which were really good!), and when I looked back, it was very eggy -- all viscous and slippery, just like an egg! I'm amazed.

Quote n0r1
    I love the flax seed substitute! Just tried it for the first time this morning, and it's amazing. When you first grind up the flax seeds with water, it looks all liquid. I let it sit for a minute or two while I got distracted with some other part of the recipe I was making (the ginger-cashew scones in the Vegan Planet, which were really good!), and when I looked back, it was very eggy -- all viscous and slippery, just like an egg! I'm amazed.
    YUM! about the scones - it sounds great.

Thanks for your input. All of your replies are making me feel a little more confident about vegan baking. Thanks.

N0r1,

Do you have any other favorite recipes in "Vegan Planet"? I'd love to hear about them.

Newcook

I love that book!!! A must have in my cookbook collection.

I use the flax seed replacer all the time. I like it better than the tofu or fruit, plus it's so good for you. I just made a cake with it a couple of days ago. If you wait a while like N0r1 said then whip it, it will work somewhat like an egg in baking. It doesn't work with everything the same as eggs would, but I've never had any complaints from my family. I use it in pancakes, cookies, cakes...whatever and never had a bad result. Good luck.

I have a question. I am making cupcakes for my daughter's birthday and the mix I have does not have eggs or milk products in it. I was planning to use something else besides the 3 eggs in it. It will be chocolate, so I don't want to add anything to it that will change the flavor. I was planning to use the "egg replacer" stuff in a box, but would be thrilled to use something else. What do you guys suggest? I love chocolate cake and I don't want to have any banana flavor and anything like that added in. (Yeah...that's a little selfish since the cake is for my daughter, but she's too little to say what kind of cake she likes the best...so I picked my favorite LOL) Would applesauce be good to use?

Thanks!

ConsciousCuisine

You cna use many things that will thicken without changing the flavor. Pureed baby food plums mixes great with chocolate! Add a tsp. of apple cider vinegar too!

I use the Orgran egg replacer to make a nice everyday fruit cake and it turns out well ... usually make double the quantity as it's popular with friends and family.

Not sure if it's okay to post the recipe?

Yeah, the prune puree will work great.

Quote Michelle
    I have a question. I am making cupcakes for my daughter's birthday and the mix I have does not have eggs or milk products in it. I was planning to use something else besides the 3 eggs in it. It will be chocolate, so I don't want to add anything to it that will change the flavor. I was planning to use the "egg replacer" stuff in a box, but would be thrilled to use something else. What do you guys suggest? I love chocolate cake and I don't want to have any banana flavor and anything like that added in. (Yeah...that's a little selfish since the cake is for my daughter, but she's too little to say what kind of cake she likes the best...so I picked my favorite LOL) Would applesauce be good to use?

Thanks!

michelle

just use my choc chip brownie recipe from te recipe thread and pop in into cup cake cases instead of a big cake and adjust the times, make sone vegan choc icing for the tops

Default Chocolate cake

Quote Michelle

Thanks!
    Michelle -

This is my favorite chocolate cake recipe - I have made it for family and it was a very big hit - good texture, good taste. Its on veganfood.net

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour ( I used wheat flour and it was still `normal` looking cake)
    1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 t baking soda
    1/2 t salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup cold water ( I used soy milk)
    2 t pure vanilla extract
    2 T vinegar

METHOD
    Preheat oven to 190C/375F.

Sift dry ingredients into 20 cm / 8 inch square or 23 cm / 9 inch round baking pan. Mix liquids (except vinegar) and whisk into dry. When batter is smooth, add vinegar and stir quickly, until it is evenly distributed. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool.

all the best,
    globesetter

Whenever I've tried to use EnergE egg replacer or apple sauce, the food comes out rock hard Anybody have this problem?

has anyone used egg replacer (the one you mix with water) to 'bind' things together not just as in cooking cakes?

im thinking of a loaf binder or little beany ball things to shallow fry - but the veggie recipe used egg to bind them. i wondered if anyone has tried the egg replacer as a binder in this sort of cooking??

ConsciousCuisine

I have used it anywhere else you might need a binder.
    Tofu omelettes, quiche, mall baked goods, tofu burgers, neatloaf, neat balls, patties and so on. It works beautifully! Just be sure to mix it with liquid properly or you get little "boogery" lumps that make gravy and other foods so unpleasant...

thanks, will give it a go

tails4wagging

Default Thyme and parsley stuffing balls

What do folks do to bind them together instead of egg?. I use veg, suet breadcrumbs and herbs, but unsure how to make them into balls?.

PinkFluffyCloud

Orgran egg replacer.
    Or I am just lazy and buy dry mix and bind it with plain water.

If you have psillium husks, they make a jolly good gelatinous mix that will help bind - try a teaspoon of it in a small amount of water and watch it glug up

Otherwise potato starch added to the mix will bind it during cooking - wonderful stuff when making sauces too - far better than corn flour as it re thins without lumps if you need to thin the brew.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Default Re: Vegan egg substitutes

Help - I don't have psillium husks or Orgran egg replacer - how can I get my Felafel balls to hold together without disintegrating in the hot fat? Please make your suggestions things that are as easy to get hold of as possible - it can be hard to get things here! Will cornflour work, or agar agar?
    Thank you

I use egg replacer in cakes and they turn out fine, the trick is to add the water to the powder, and make the temperature of the water a bit warmish, if you get lumps just strain it, and I always make sure the egg replacer mixture is added last. I have read that people use soy flour and water as an egg subsitute as well.

blu

I've used various brands of egg replacer (including ener-g) over the years in my experimentation, and I've yet to find a practical use for it. The only thing it's remotely good at is a binding agent in recipes that were designed for using egg and haven't been properly veganised.

It's perfectly possible to make cakes/muffins, cookies etc without egg/replacer if using a properly designed recipe, which gives end results similar to recipes using egg. In my humble opinion, recipes that call for egg replacer are for the most part just poorly written and I try to avoid them.

Personally I avoid egg replacer in my own creations mainly because I don't like using non easy (ie not in the average supermarket) to get hold of ingrediants in my regular baking.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thumbs up Re: Vegan egg substitutes

I really love using ground flaxseed! I've been doing it for a while now (even before I was vegan!), and it's really been a great addition to everything I've made. I am going to experiment with other possibilities as well, and you all gave me such wonderful ideas, thank you!
    Peace Love Surf.

veganstore.co.uk is GRRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!!! I'm limbering up my creditcard for some frenzied consumerism.

o, i forgot to add, i'm not sure if it's already here, but a 1/4 c applesauce plus 1 teaspoon bakingpowder works well, as does the same thiing with blended dried fuit, also, i just read that substituting avocado for egg in bakedgoods is great for giving it that rich yummy texture!
    Peace Love Surf.

does everyone use enerG egg replacer. i've never heard of it, but tons of people online seem to use it..

i use allergycare egg replacer, from holland & barrett. also seen it about in some supermarkets.

Lightbulb Re: Vegan egg substitutes

Just to clear up some confusion, EnerG and Orgran egg replacers are basically the same thing. EnerG is sold in the US (and probably Canada) and is mostly corn starch. Orgran is available in the UK and is mostly potato starch. They are both the same product. According to the Goodness Direct website, Allergycare egg replacer is also potato starch, so all three I guess are the same. I have successfully used just baking powder (which is corn starch) to replace eggs in some of my classic non-vegan recipes, although I still need a lot of work before I become a decent vegan baker.

I'm going to try applesauce and flaxseed next time. Can anyone suggest how much to use?

Quote Mr Flibble
    The only thing it's remotely good at is a binding agent in recipes that were designed for using egg and haven't been properly veganised.
    I was about to say pretty much the same thing. I have dabbled in egg replacers and used to slip a tablespoon of soya flour into recipes for the peace of mind. I ran out of soya flour 3 years ago and it hasn't made any difference.

I took a chocolate cake into work today. It got the definite thumbs up from the hardcore omnivores, so I thought I'd just casually mention it didn't have eggs or butter in it, of course resulting in the usual question: "What do you use instead of egg!??"

NOTHING!!!!

I havent tried making that cake yet. Sounds lovely though
    I really must stop making cakes, far to many cals but so tasty.

I read that you can use tofu as a substitute for egg? Is this true in some cases, or most?

yeah i heard that as well..but have never tried it. you can get different textures, i think as well.

I used some EnerG egg replacer in my banana bread and it was fab!

FR

Some of the things wise folks use in place of animal eggs:

- Corn Starch 2 TB for 1 egg
    - Arrowroot Flour 2 TB for 1 egg
    - Potato Starch 2 TB for 1 egg
    - Soy powder 1 TB + 2 TB water for 1 egg
    - Ground flax seeds 1 TB + 1 cup of water, mix thoroughly
    - Banana - 1 banana for 1 egg **will leave a banana flavor**
    - ENER-G (brand) “Egg Replacer” 1 ½ tsp. + 2 TB water for 1 egg

Quote TheBluePenguin
    I'm going to try applesauce and flaxseed next time. Can anyone suggest how much to use?
    for each egg: about a 1/4 cup applesauce (usually mixed with some baking powder) or 1tbs flax with 1/4 cup very hot water
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Cherry
    I took a chocolate cake into work today. It got the definite thumbs up from the hardcore omnivores, so I thought I'd just casually mention it didn't have eggs or butter in it, of course resulting in the usual question: "What do you use instead of egg!??"

NOTHING!!!!

I make a chocolate cake similar to that..the the ingredients are the same, without the icing though, because i usually don't have the ingredients on hand.
    As far as baking goes, leaving eggs out is no problem.
    I've adapted this chocolate cake recipe to make other types of cake, such as carrot cake, lemon cake etc..
    Piggy

Quote Newcook
    YUM! about the scones - it sounds great.

Thanks for your input. All of your replies are making me feel a little more confident about vegan baking. Thanks.

N0r1,

Do you have any other favorite recipes in "Vegan Planet"? I'd love to hear about them.

Newcook
    Hi Newcook;

I'm new to this forum but had to jump in and say that my copy of Vegan Planet--which I bought for this past Christmas as a present to myself and my dh--is already starting to come apart at the seams!! I, too, am new at baking without eggs. I have tried the banana idea in pancakes; it is yummy with maple syrup for sure. :>)

As to your request for favorite recipes from VP, here are just a few of mine: (since this is supposed to be quick! LOL)

1. Chickpea and Avocado Muffalettas -- my number one fave!! I have taken this three times now to church dinners, and it was RAVED about each time. :>)
    2. Panzanella (Tuscan Bread Salad)--ditto on the raves for this!
    3. Gold and Black Bean Salad--and again! yes, really!
    4. Three Bean Chili
    5. Backyard BBQ Chili
    6. Hot Tamale Vegetable Pie
    7. Soy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
    8. Mango Tango Smoothie
    9. Tropical Paradise Quencher
    10. Spicy Soy and Vegetable Scramble

And...I do want to try the Banana Split Tea Bread, and the Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies, Only Better (I think that's the name of it)--but like you, I have not yet ventured into making bakery treats without eggs, and would like to know what would work best.

I'm thinking along the lines of the tofu thingie, myself. :>) Arrowroot powder costs about 3 or 4 bucks a jar, which is a bit too pricey for me.

Well, hope these have helped you, and hope it inspires you to 'start your oven'! LOL.
    Now, I am assigned to make roll out cookies (Southern teacakes, my old family recipe) for Vacation Bible School which starts Sunday evening...and I am wondering if the tofu/baking powder thingie will work for those. Would anybody here have a good idea about that?

TIA, from another newbie here--
    Bron in Georgia

Default Egg replacement?

I am making some home made vegan burgers for a barbecue this weekend and I was wondering whether anyone could recommend something to bind the burger instead of egg?

I have got some 'egg replacer' from Holland & Barrett which I have used as an ingredient to make cakes rise, but I don't think it is going to work as a binder.

Any tips much appreciated!
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 18th, 2006 at 05:32 PM. Reason: This was the 1st post in a similar thread.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"