Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vegan protein

Default Re: Vegan protein

you mean darker at the tips than around those half moons under the nail? That's news to me.

If watching protein intake means including nuts and beans daily then I think that wouldn't be a bad thing regardless of protein requirements: mmmm hummous, cashew rice, lentil soup...
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

yeah, im not sure if it's accurate.
    i meaning watching my protein intake, by making sure i'm eating those goodies daily. speaking of cashews! i had raw cashew 'cheese' the other day, IT WAS WONDERFUL. if i get the recipe, ill post it
    BAGELS.

you post it; i'll eat!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

deal.
    BAGELS.

Honky

There are 20 amino acids that make up a complete protein.

The only two known forms of complete protein are meat and soya.

So you can be vegan and get a complete protein without having to combine. Combining is also fine if you eat the foods within 12 hours of each other. Wholemeal bread and baked beans form a complete protein.

Soya protein contains all the amino acids but doesn't contain the fat or cholesterol or any of the hormones or chemicals etc you would find in meat. It also contains magnesium and calcium.

It's been proven (I also came accross the information on various scientific websites as opposed to vegan ones when I was studying) that plant based proteins are more compatible and easily absorbed by the human digestive system, than animal proteins which can put a strain on the kidneys.

I think it's better to eat a mixture of soya protein and beans, lentils etc!

Combining is also fine if you eat the foods within 12 hours of each other.
    Hi, there are various theories about this, as discussed in the Protein combining - from the woman who launched the idea-thread.
    Do you have any links to research backing info about that 12-hour limit? Thanks in advance!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Honky

I came across the 12 hour guideline in my coursework, it was in a book published by the BSY. I have found some similiar information on this website http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html (this is a generic page on protein including meat, but vegetarian info at the bottom) about half way down the page there is a question on combining complementary proteins. It says that 'studies show that proteins are combined if eaten within the same day'.

Here's a list of 50 'vegetarian' protein sources (a few of the products on the list are non-vegan, but I include them here as a reference only):

Beans

Black beans (1 cup) 15 grams
    Black eyed peas (1 cup) 13 grams
    Chickpeas (1 cup) 15 grams
    Kidney beans (1 cup) 15 grams
    Lentils (1 cup) 18 grams
    Lima beans (1 cup) 15 grams
    Pinto beans (1 cup) 15 grams
    Soy beans (1 cup) 29 grams
    Vegetarian baked beans (1 cup) 12 grams

Dairy, Eggs and Dairy Substitutes

Almond milk (1 cup) 1 gram
    Egg (one large) 6 grams
    Cheddar cheese (2 tbsp) 7 grams
    Cottage cheese (1 cup) 10 grams
    Cow’s milk (1 cup) 8 grams
    Soy milk (1 cup) 3-10 grams
    Soy yoghurt (3/4 cup) 6 grams
    Rice milk (1 cup) 1 gram

Grains

Amaranth, cooked (1 cup) 14 grams
    Bagel (1 medium) 9 grams
    Brown rice, cooked (1 cup) 5 grams
    Bulgur, cooked (1 cup) 5 grams
    Millet, cooked (1 cup) 8 grams
    Oatmeal, cooked (1 cup) 6 grams
    Quinoa, cooked (1 cup) 11 grams
    Spaghetti, cooked (1 cup) 7 grams
    White rice, cooked (1 cup) 4 grams
    Whole wheat bread
    (2 slices) 5 grams
    Wild rice, cooked (1 cup) 7 grams

Nuts and Seeds

Almonds (1/4 cup) 6 grams
    Almond butter (2tbsp) 5 grams
    Cashews (1/4 cup) 5 grams
    Peanuts (1/4 cup) 6 grams
    Peanut butter (2tbsp) 8 grams
    Pistachios (1/4 cup) 6 grams
    Sesame seeds (1/8 cup) 6 grams
    Sunflower seeds (1/4 cup) 6 grams

Vegetables

Asparagus (1 cup) 5 grams
    Avocado (1 medium) 10 grams
    Broccoli (1 cup) 5 grams
    Peas, cooked (1 cup) 9 grams
    Potato, cooked (1 medium) 4 grams
    Spinach, cooked (1 cup) 6 grams
    Sweet corn, cooked (1 cup) 5 grams
    Sweet potato, cooked (1 cup) 2 grams

Prepared Vegetarian Foods

Seitan (1 cup) 15 grams
    Tempeh (1 cup) 31 grams
    Textured Vegetable Protein
    (TVP) (1 cup) 8 grams
    Tofu, firm (1 cup) 22 grams
    Vegetarian hot dog 8-26 grams
    Vegetarian hamburger 5-24 grams
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

So, I just wanted to share that my favorite source of complete protein (containing all the essential amino acids including lysine) is amaranth and quinoa. I eat amaranth daily, it helps that it's cheap here in Mexico City, because it's native to central/southern Mexico. I read in several places that NASA was considering amaranth as food for astronauts cuz its easy to prepare and has the full set of aminos. You can prepare it like quinoa, or pop it like popcorn (the latter is the most common method in Mexico). I don't eat soy products, 1. they kill my digestive system, and 2. I've read the theories saying protein is actually quite bad overall unless it's fermented like tempeh, and I don't know if those theories are true, but my first reason is enough for me to stear clear. Also, of course I eat nuts, but you shouldn't consider nuts as a source of protein, you should consider them as a source of unsaturated fats. If you eat enough nuts to fill your protein requirements, you're overdosing on nuts. A bit off topic... have you gals/guys seen the Sugar: The Bitter Truth video? Quite impressive. I've now eliminated sugar from my diet. I mean added sugar of course, I still eat fruit every morning. But no more white foods for me (refined carbs like white bread, white pasta, etc). The extra fiber of my diet has really helped too :-D

Hi mexico city vegan - welcome to the forum. I've only recently (in the last couple of weeks) started properly cooking with quinoa. I tried once before and for some reason wasn't impressed but this time I've been using it as a base for salads and stir fries and like it a lot! It seems to fulfil a lot of the same functions as rice in a meal while being better for you and cooking more quickly!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

This is a good article on vegan protein sources, with links to recipes containing proteiny foods: Vegan Protein Sources
    http://go-go-vegan.blogspot.com

Does anyone know if "raw" gluten powder/flour is nutritive? Seems like it would make a good stir in to punch up the protein in hummus etc.
    P.S. I know its a good stir in for meaty drive-top soups and sauces!

Stove-top

I would have thought it would make the hummus go a bit rubbery? I guess there's only one way to find out, but I wouldn't fancy ruining perfectly good hummus!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

My partner always teased me of being a food freak and accused me of being unhealthy because of protein consumption. Taught him how to read nutrition labels and compare my protein and fat intake and compare it to his. He was a massive meat eater (like double servings of 2 or more meats at every meal...love is love). Anyway, after doing the math and reading up on some testimonials and what not, he found out I was consuming about the same amount of protein but 85% less fat than he was. Goes to show how painfully wrong myths can be. I am a runner and I lift weights 3 times a week. Got good lean muscle but 2.5% body fat. Anyway, a vegan lifestyle provides such an adequate amount of protein!

P.S. Be sure to purchase a vegan B12 supplement (such as VegLife)....You definitely do not want to run your body clean of the vitamin...trust me, it can get bad pretty fast.