Thread: young vegan with pre-diabetes

Default young vegan with pre-diabetes

I'm a 20 year old female with a BMI of 19.5. I have been vegan for several years now on and off. The only animal products I have ever been able to stomach were chocolate and cakes, but I have made an effort not to eat any for about the past year. I haven't eaten any meat beyond the age of 5.

My dad has type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed in his early 40's. He has always been obese. My grandfather on my mother's side had it too and died after a leg ampuation. He was also very obese. Clearly I have the genetic predispostion.

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes a few months ago. My doctor put me on mediation (metformin) for it, but from what I've read, it can actually cause diabetes if you stop taking it later down the track. I stopped taking it after a month because of horrible GI side effects. My doctor also said I should stop eating carbs and that I should include meat in my diet. There are an array of reasons why I refuse to eat meat, so that's not going to happen.

I really would like to treat this condition with diet and exercise. I have been exercising 5 times a week for the past 6 weeks and I've heard this can help. I intend to keep it up for the long-term. I have no idea what sort of diet to stick to because basically everything I eat is carbs. I went and saw a dietitian who also recommended I at least eat cheese. Again, this is not going to happen.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: young vegan with pre-diabetes

Hi redberries,
    I'm sorry to hear about your condition. From my understanding pre-diabetes can lead to Type 2 diabetes - is that right? Recent research has shown that Type 2 diabetes patients respond very well to a vegan diet, even better than the diet prescribed by the American Diabetes Association.
    A close friend of mine has Type 1 diabetes so feel free to PM me, I may be able to answer any specific questions you have. I really recommend though that you see a diabetologist if possible, because a good diet and proper medical advice is crucial to controlling your condition. To be honest the doctors you mention don't seem very well informed about diabetes. Physical exercise is very important, so it's good that you're doing so much. The threads below may be of interest to you - I wish you all the best.

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...light=diabetes

Last edited by fiamma; Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: needed to add some info

That's right. It's supposed to lead to diabetes. I've read some very conflicting evidence about what the right thing to do is. The thing is, I'm not overweight, I'm relatively active and I eat reasonably well (could be improved, but better than most), I don't drink and I don't smoke. It seems to be just a genetic thing and I wonder if it's even possible to reverse the effects.

Type 2 diabetes is supposed to be a "lifestyle disease", but my lifestyle is far better than the average person. It just makes me so angry.

Thanks for the links! I didn't realize that this had come up before.

The mother of my friend with Type 1 diabetes has Type 2 diabetes. And she fits the profile you give; she eats well, she's not overweight, and doesn't drink or smoke. I think there is definitely a genetic element to it.

According to a study I read recently, a vegan diet seems to reverse the effects of Type 2 diabetes, or at least goes a long way to doing so. The study is here, post #44.

Last edited by fiamma; Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:54 PM. Reason: added some more info

We can certainly be genetically predisposed to #2 diabetes, as it was for me quite some time ago, despite being a long-time vegan. However, from the Diabetes Society pamphlets, I learned more about low GI foods, and it made all the difference in the world. My glucose level has been in the normal range for a long time now. At the moment I'm reading "Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes" prior to doing a review for the next issue of Vegan Voice.

Dr Barnard always makes a heap of sense and he offers the scientifically proven system for reversing diabetes without drugs. I've not finished reading it all yet, but basically it is essential to have a food regimen of plenty of vegies and fruits (low GI fruits in particular - I had to give away the daily chunk of water melon), but he recommends plenty of carbs, such as grainy bread etc. The big thing is absolutely no cakes, cookies, etc - that is no way to get your essential carbs. Redberries mentions chocolate and cakes, and cheese - you don't need that stuff. Think of your oldies with diabetes from an unregulated diet. Of course exercise is good for everyone, I just do one hour or so of swimming 6 days a week, and the odd bit of weights. I've never taken medication for it, and just monitor my glucose levels once a week now, and the level is always normal.

Redberries, you refer to how diabetes is supposed to be a lifestyle disease, but there are 3 elements to diabetes #2 - (1) the genetic influence, which we can't help, (2) age when the body is less efficient (doesn't apply in your case but it does in mine, and I can't help that either), (3) lifestyle and this is where we are in control - food and exercise. Good luck.
    Eve

I'll second Dr Barnard's excellent work on Diabetes.

Remember with Genetics that it's only significant if you consume the foods which will trigger those genes.

With a plant based, whole foods, zero added fat diet nobody will suffer from Type 2 Diabetes.

This is something that doctors in general don't like to admit as then they'd never sell any medication. They are under immense pressure from the pharmaceutical companies to kepp you ill enough to be a repeat customer.

It looks like it's time to say "bye bye" to any refined sugar and starches. I really don't eat them very much, but it's obviously too much.

I might have to check out Dr. Barnard's book. Thanks for your help everyone.