Thread: Human Battery Cage

Default Human Battery Cage

The Human Battery Cage is a unique piece of installation/performance art designed to show the public, in a vivid and realistic way, the cramped conditions caged birds are subjected to for the production of eggs for human consumption.
    We will be touring Australia from February - September 2007, visiting most capitals and many regional centres. Tour dates and information can be found at www.humanbatterycage.com
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 11th, 2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: duplicate threads on same topic now merged
    Peace,love,happiness and freedom!

Default Re: Human Battery Cage

Wow, great way to really bring it home to people. Good job, SunChild.

It'd be great to take it overseas as well. Or start partner projects with overseas groups. I'd happily volunteer to take part in something like that.

I love art and I'm into animal rights so this is right down my alley! Are you coming to US in the future?.... Keep up the good work. Thank you for doing this.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

excuse me while I yawn, but seriously, if a few people learn about battery cages and decide to eat 'free range' eggs - how does that help chickens? Some people may even decide to go free range and increase their consumption of eggs.
    Eve

I don't think it would be travelling to the US or anywhere overseas but i'm fairly sure there are other groups in other countries doing the same thing. Perhaps you could find out or if you can't take up the idea with an animal rights organisation.

Nice peice of work. Reminds me of a documentary I saw on the cold war Russian chemical weapons program. A few years ago an abandoned testing facility was found with typical animal testing cages, in the corner they found a human sized cage.

Wow that's creepy!

You want to "show the public, in a vivid and realistic way, the cramped conditions caged birds are subjected to for the production of eggs for human consumption".

So if a few of the onlookers are upset and decide to eat 'free range' eggs, they will probably eat even more if they believe they are helping. But does anyone show chooks in a free range shed with 20,000+ chickens in it? In the current issue of ACTION, the mag of Animal Lib Victoria, there are a couple of full page photos that reveal all is not light and lovely in those 'free range' sheds. HEre's one of their websites: http://www.alv.org.au/issues/batteryhens.php
    Here's another: http://www.rspcawatchdog.org/articles/inbed.htm
    Eve

If you look at our website, you will see that we are not promoting Free Range, all our information is simple and factual, pointing out the cruelty of all kinds of egg production.

http://www.humanbatterycage.com

Yes, some people will possibly choose free range, which at least gets hens out of cages.

Some people, however, will read our information and choose to stop eating eggs all together, reducing overall consumption.

The Human Battery Cage team is Vegan and is promoting a Vegan diet.

Eve, you like every member of the public have a choice. They choose how they respond to our message, you choose if you are willing to actually do something to help animals, or hide behind the excuse you outlined above as a reason to do nothing.

Please refrain from being critical of the dedicated people who are out there literally every day working for the animals for no pay and no reward.

HBC: You say "... choose if you are willing to actually do something to help animals, or hide behind the excuse you outlined above as a reason to do nothing. Please refrain from being critical of the dedicated people who are out there literally every day working for the animals for no pay and no reward."

You don't know what I do to help animals. I simply asked a question.
    Eve

Mahk

SunChild and HBC, good luck with your efforts. I hope you get your message across to many in your land. Even a cursory look at your website shows you're obviously not advocating ANY kind of egg use. Bravo!

I did want to point out though that you mention some people have stayed in the cage for as much as 5 hours. It is my opinion that you should not allow anyone even close to this time period, because it can be bad for ones back and other body parts. Similarly, there was a torture device used in the Vietnam war (I believe by both sides, but I'm certainly no expert) called a "tiger cage". By keeping prisoners in a balled up position for hours, they would become crippled when let out. I think you should look into this. Also, you don't want to set up an environment of competition: "Oh yeah? Well my devotion to saving the chickens is better than yours. I'm gonna stay in for six hours!" I know it seems crazy, but even if only on a sub-conscience level, this may occur.

I wish you well and think you should make it a point to get as close to schools and universities as possible. The FAQ page's answer to "What happens if it rains?" had me in stitches!

Good point Mahk, I'll get the team together tonight to discuss limiting times spent in the "tiger cage"

We are generally, however, not displaying for more than 5 hours a day anyway because it gets a little tedious responding every 2 minutes to a member of the public asking, "have you laid an egg yet?" or just the simple, "What are you doing?" despite the giant 1.4 meter high photo of hens in cages right beside us.
    My current answers are respectivly, "Nope, but I think I've got one brewing" (tapping my stomach) and "Pretending to be a chicken".

Some of our other joys are the few people who poke us through the cages, when asked why they do that.. "Thats what you do to people in cages!".
    Also the occasional crazy person who will come over to vent about hospitals, car accidents, the government and how it is the fault of John Howard that people are dying of AIDS?? (it was truly amazing how she made that connection!!)

Most people support us, people bring us drinks and offer food, one guy walked about 1.5km round trip to a Vegan Burger joint to give all 8 people in the cages a tofu burger each!! It is very encouraging overall and we know that we are doing something that will make a difference.

Just looked at your website and am disappointed in myself for not realising that you guys were in NQ August last year!!! Good luck with your work and I hope at least one person is swayed by your art and devotion. Cheers!
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

Memma33,

there is good reason you didn't realise, that's because we are heading there later THIS year )

All the dates should be 2007, but I have been known to put 2006 down by mistake at times. Does one of our pages show the wrong year still?

what a wonderful project! if only i was still in oz...! wishing you all the best with it...

We've been over this on another thread Eve...

This campaign, although focussing on confinement, also take the time to tell people about the negative aspects of ALL kinds of egg production.

If you visit our website, we have pages on egg free living:
    http://www.humanbatterycage.com/eggfree

and an explanation on what is wrong with egg production:
    http://www.humanbatterycage.com/ahenslife

Despite what people may have "heard" about our campaign, we are advocating eating NO Eggs, we are all Vegan.

We know about the problems with Free Range, posting them to a Vegan forum is speaking to the converted. Come on the road for 6 months and speak to the public who don't know about these things!!!

As for travelling to the US... watch this space, it may be on the cards ;o)
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 11th, 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: duplicate threads on same topic now merged

Eve:
    "But does anyone show chooks in a free range shed with 20,000+ chickens in it?"

Sounds like a great idea Eve, We're all looking forward to seeing you leave your job for a year and travel the country showing people life in a free range shed... When you do, you'll have my full support!!!

Note also that Lynne Bradshaw is now the national president of the RSPCA and has been for over 6 months now.

Currently the only address we have for her is:

Lynne Bradshaw
    National President
    RSPCA Australia Inc
    PO Box 265
    Deakin West ACT 2600
    Australia

I'm sure when rspcawatchdog.org get around to updating their site, they'll have a more direct mailing address.

Quote HBC View Post
    Eve:
    "But does anyone show chooks in a free range shed with 20,000+ chickens in it?" Sounds like a great idea Eve, We're all looking forward to seeing you leave your job for a year and travel the country showing people life in a free range shed... When you do, you'll have my full support!!!
    Sorry, HBC but I no longer have a job, and at 80yrs of age and living below the poverty line, there's no way I can travel the country. But does this mean that after many, many years of activity up to the recent past, am I no longer allowed on opinion?
    Eve

Noting that the 2 threads have now been merged:

I don't preclude anyone from having an opinion, I just take offence to uninformed attacks on our position (ie. rumours that we are promoting free range), by people who have not taken the time to even read over our website.

It is my standard response to all good ideas I hear to encourage that person to get out there and make it happen. It is not my job to follow up on the thousands of suggestions I recieve from people who know what I *should* be doing.

These suggestions have also included that I should be finding the cure for Cancer, fixing the AIDs empidemic in Africa, caring about the Sudanese instead of animals, campaigning for pigs instead etc. etc.
    All great and worthy things which I have encouraged the bearer of these original, well thought out and brilliant ideas to run with them.

My team and I all could have all come up with great reasons why we are not able to do what we're doing now. Two team members have given up earning more than $50 an hour to come along and survive on $12 a day. Another team member sought our private sponsorship from her friends so she can join us next week for the remainder of the trip.

Fortunately for us, many many people think what we are doing is a great idea and so we receve support, both material and financial from all kinds of places. In fact, out of all the animal rights groups we have contacted to get behind this campaign, only 1 has been unable to see past their internal issues and declined to get involved. Interestingly enough, they then decide to do an almost identical stunt...