View Poll Results: Which of these statements about 'pets' do you agree in? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • Veganism means not using animals for food, clothing, entertainment or any other purpose. Keeping a 'pet' = "other purpose"

55 16.22%
  • I'm against puppy mills and commercial breeding of animals

254 74.93%
  • I'm all for keeping rescued animals or animals that otherwise need me, but against keeping other 'pets'

181 53.39%
  • I'm against keeping animals in captivity, which is why I prefer not to keep 'pets' captivated

59 17.40%
  • I prefer not to make decisions about animals' social life, sex life, toilet habits, death date or or anything else.

49 14.45%
  • As long as a 'pet' can freely roam around, but doesn't escape, I don't see anything wrong with keeping it

93 27.43%
  • Keeping meat eating animals means either supporting the meat industry (when buying 'pet' food) or giving them plant food, which isn't natural for them

86 25.37%
  • I'm not OK with keeping animals that needs to be caged

140 41.30%
  • Unless we make all domesticated/institutionalized animals extinct (which I don't want), someone needs to take care of them

144 42.48%
  • I would like to see the end of humans keeping all animals

51 15.04%
  • I would like to see the end of humans keeping all animals, even if this means human extinction of certain animals

36 10.62%
  • Regulations re. keeping animals need to be stricter than they are today

193 56.93%
  • I disagree with selling animals for profit

235 69.32%
  • Humans + 'pets' = non-obligatory mutualism

54 15.93%
  • Non-obligatory mutualism? It's called The Stockholm syndrome!

15 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pets" - Which of these statements do you agree with?

Klytemnest

Default Re: Is it right for a vegan to keep a 'pet'? Poll planned

[quote=Holly78;360478]
    Quote Klytemnest View Post

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not accusing you of slavery or suggesting that cats should be released to 'enjoy' their freedom. I have previously said that I think it is better than rescue animals that can have a good quality of life with humans live out their lives in caring homes rather than be put to sleep.

I was just commenting on your assertion that it is ok to keep dogs and cats but not other animals. Animals other than dogs and cats are capable of forming the same human bonds and thus enjoying the same quality of life...that to me is what is important.
    I am so sorry, Holly. I guess I completely misunderstood you. I feel like i have egg substitute all over my face...

I'm just having a hard time dealing with the loss of my cat. After 13 years I really feel like I lost a child. I am sorry if I bit your head off there. Considering how much I adored him and how affectionate he was with me, the perceived suggestion that I was exploiting him for my own selfish needs made me react emotionally. I apologize. Thanks for setting me "straight", (so to speak).

Default Re: What is your opinion about keeping pets? Poll planned...

Quote Billy View Post
    Through working as a volunteer at this animal rescue/ambulance service I've learnt to never ever trust a dog's road sense. 9 Out of 10 heart broken dog "owners", standing by the remains of their friend who'd just been hit by a car, said: "he was always walked off lead, he's never done that before" etc etc etc. A dog can see, hear, smell things that you don't, an unexpected piece of fire work can make even the most confident, street wise dog dog bolt, you just won't know until it's too late.

I know 2 three-legged dogs: both lost a leg in a traffic accident, after they'd been either a latch key dog or walking with their carers, off lead, for years. Driving home on a dark, rainy night I suddenly found an animal right in front of my car. Fortunately I was already driving slowly on a quiet street, so I slammed the brakes and got out. The animal running off hastily was the dog who had already lost a leg in an accident 4-5 years ago

Older dogs who have been walked off lead all their lives might not be as aware as they should be of the loss of their hearing/eye sight/general mobility. I know Malcolm still wants to thunder down hills and river banks but I've got to stop him because I know he won't be able to make it back up. He's not in the least aware of his more restricted physical capabilities.

While I'm all for animals having as much freedom as possible I do think that as their carers we have a duty to protect them from harm as well as possible.
    Well said Billy. I hate seeing dogs off lead.

I've seen people walking with dogs alongside busy fast dual carriageways, where there's nowhere else but the pavement for the dog to go, so it's not asif the dog gets any extra freedom, just the walker doesn't have to bother to hold a lead (no offence to anyone here, I'm thinking of local idiots)

I would have thought it would be more comfortable for the dog not to have a lead on. I know my dad didn't bother with a lead when he had my ex guide dog Bruce. Bruce never got hit by anything. I know a few older dogs who don't use leads. Jilli of course is in harness as she's my guide although I did think of letting her stay off lead when I was walking with Jilli and my dad was acting as guide. It seemed to be working well but Dad was worried that I might get into trouble with the Guide dog association over it so I went back to using leads after that.

I see what you mean about comfort, but as the collar's there anyway, if the dog walks well by someone anyway, the lead wouldn't be tight, so surely no extra discomfort?

Interestingly in the UK it's illegal to walk a dog off-lead on a roadside/pavement or whatever the definition is. Not sure if it's ever policed, but there are plenty of warning stickers about the potential fines. No idea if if applies to guide dogs though.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but so many dogs get hit all the time - my personal view is that the extra comfort/freedom is far, far outweighed by the potential danger.

Pilaf

My biggest issue with sharing your home with a companion animal is buying food for the companion animal which is made from factory farmed meat. This conflicts with the youth ethic of veganism. I'm not suggesting that we try to force companion animals like cats to eat veggies, but there needs to be an abolishment of the entire system of factory farming, and by buying stuff for our companion animals which is a result of that cruelty isn't any different from buying it for ourselves. It's an abomination against freedom and the environment.

RubyDuby

Quote dreama View Post
    I don't. Some dogs have better road sense then others. Some dogs don't really need leads at all. Particularly older dogs. Of course if you've got a young dog with a lot of energy and poor road sense that would be totally differant.
    My neighbor had an older rottweiler that she often walked off-leash. One day I was out with my dogs at the same time and she (the dog) set her sights on my little dog and came stalking over and almost put my dog in her mouth. (Mind you that dog has killed one of her other dogs in the past!) I had to yank my dog away by the leash, thank goodness I didn't break his neck in the process. By the time my neighbor made it over to me her dog had tried eating mine like 3 times. I was so pissed!

My medium sized dog (RUBY) is very good off leash (I know from having her on trails and at parks) and when she was my sisters dog she always walked her off leash by the road... but if another dog were to come by I would not have the leash attached to her to keep her from danger.

Even a trustworthy dog makes mistakes!! I know of several dogs with road sense that have suddenly seen a squirrel or whatever and bolted into the road and got hurt.

My very intelligent and trustworthy Ruby jumped out of my car window one day after years and years of her being fine with an open window. She didn't get hurt but it was quite scary.

Use a leash!!!

(and don't leave your car windows wide open with them in there either )
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

RubyDuby

Quote Pilaf View Post
    I'm not suggesting that we try to force companion animals like cats to eat veggies
    why not? http://www.helpinganimals.com/animal...vegAnimals.asp
    my dogs love their vegan diet!
    and theres several people on here who swear their cats love their vegan food.

Quote Pilaf View Post
    My biggest issue with sharing your home with a companion animal is buying food for the companion animal which is made from factory farmed meat.
    Yes, that's why our cats mostly have organic food (when they're not having vegan food, which they do some of the time). I'm not happy about buying meat-based food (I've explained elsewhere why I do) but at least this way one can avoid supporting factory farming.

Organic food is expensive, but less so if you buy it in bulk. Edited to add: in Europe organic husbandry methods are arguably somewhat preferable to conventional ones, but I don't know how true that is in other continents.

Hi! I just joined this forum today, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I've been feeling conflicted and a bit disillusioned recently and I wanted to talk it out with fellow vegans and animal lovers.

I only recently learned that several (maybe all?) animal-rights groups wish for a day when we don't have dogs as pets (or companion animals). And, while I support 99.9% of animal-rights issues, I don't support that at all. (I am, though, against puppymills, pet stores that sell animals, most breeders, etc.)

How do those of you who feel your lives are enriched by living with dogs, for example, (preferably rescued dogs) mesh your devotion to animal rights and your love of living with dogs?

(I'm not sure I'm wording the question right, but hopefully you know what I mean.)

Also, there are so many dog lovers in the world that I think animal-rights groups would be better served by trying to get those people to join them. But dog lovers get freaked out (and rightly so, I suppose) when they learn that "animal rights is against having dogs." Once they learn that, they won't listen to a word about animal-rights issues.

Thanks,
    Tracy

RubyDuby

I don't think "animal rights is against having dogs." I'm pretty sure peta may believe in that idea, but different people have different opinions about this.

I'm personally against breeding in general, or at least it needs to be highly regulated until overpopulation is curbed.

I always keep my dogs on leashes unless they're in a fenced-in yard like mine. My elder dog, Pippi, is extremely trustworthy, but once when I was visiting my parents, I took the dogs out for a bathroom break. I had the younger one on a leash, but I left Pippi off since she never leaves my side. There was another dog in the neighborhood that they let run around loose. He ran up, but seemed okay at first, so I didn't worry about it when a neighbor called her back. A few seconds later, though, he ran back and knocked Pippi to the ground biting her neck. She is 13 years old, so even a little activity can be too rough for her. Luckily, Zelda (the younger one who has NEVER been aggresive with any dog before besides playing with her sisters) fought him off because I couldn't get a hold on him. He had no collar and it was really difficult to grab his skin. If I had Pippi on a leash, I would have had time to pull her behind me so he couldn't get to her, then pick her up. Since she wasn't on a leash, she ran away from me to get away. The neighbor (not the owner, but she knew the dog) grabbed her again and brought her to the owner.

Luckily, she wasn't hurt, but the poor thing was shaking with fear for half an hour. I've decided since that I would always have a collar on her, even if we just went outside fr a second. I was so proud of Zelda, though. She stuck up for Pippi without getting into it with the other dog. She just pushed in off and stood between them.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    (and don't leave your car windows wide open with them in there either )
    Our car used to belong to my father-in-law, and when he left it at an airport once, the little window (you know, on the side behind the back seat's side window) was broken to steal the stereo. I never replaced, mostly because it's a $400 job, but it's the perfect size for Zelda to stick just her head out relatively safely with a sure footing. I call it the dog window.

Quote denise1021 View Post
    Hi! I just joined this forum today, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I've been feeling conflicted and a bit disillusioned recently and I wanted to talk it out with fellow vegans and animal lovers.

I only recently learned that several (maybe all?) animal-rights groups wish for a day when we don't have dogs as pets (or companion animals). And, while I support 99.9% of animal-rights issues, I don't support that at all. (I am, though, against puppymills, pet stores that sell animals, most breeders, etc.)

How do those of you who feel your lives are enriched by living with dogs, for example, (preferably rescued dogs) mesh your devotion to animal rights and your love of living with dogs?

(I'm not sure I'm wording the question right, but hopefully you know what I mean.)

Also, there are so many dog lovers in the world that I think animal-rights groups would be better served by trying to get those people to join them. But dog lovers get freaked out (and rightly so, I suppose) when they learn that "animal rights is against having dogs." Once they learn that, they won't listen to a word about animal-rights issues.

Thanks,
    Tracy

I absolutely adore my 2 dogs, and I feel like a day without dogs is a day not lived. And yet I would welcome the day that there simply would not be any more dogs to give a home to. It would mean no more puppy mills, no more back yard breeders, no more "bona fide" breeders who still kill puppies that don't make the breed standard. This evening I met a tank of a Dobermann, who is one of the best in his team in fly ball - he loves it! He was the runt of a litter of a "recognised" breeder, who was going to kill him - because he wasn't as big and strong looking as her other pups and she didn't want her reputation, as a breeder of big, powerful dogs, soiled!
    It would mean an end to 8000+ healthy dogs a year who get put to sleep in UK pounds, simply for being surplus to requirement
    It would mean an end to all those dogs who are being neglected, abused, abandoned and often suffer horrendously before they die a lonely and sometimes painful death.

That day cannot come soon enough for me. But unfortunately that day won't come within my life time, so I'll pick up a few of the pieces that have been created by so-called "dog lovers" (or not even that, just people who thought they could make a quick buck out of having a litter of pups), and care for rescue dogs. My day of celebration, however, would be the day that the last rescue would shut its doors for good, simply because it'd be no longer needed.
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

Good sperm

Beautifully put Billy, I couldn't agree with you more

Pilaf

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    why not? http://www.helpinganimals.com/animal...vegAnimals.asp
    my dogs love their vegan diet!
    and theres several people on here who swear their cats love their vegan food.

Because cats are natural carnivores. Dogs can get away with no meat, because they're omnivores and can adapt to a vegan or near vegan diets. Cats, in the long run, absolutely can not and will die prematurely.

Jippia

I have had pets ever since I was a teenager: 7 rabbits, then 1 rabbit and 1 guinea-pig and now 4 guinea-pigs and 1 rabbit. My rabbits at home were tame as dogs and one did not eat when I was not there. I cannot imagine living without a rabbit or some guinea-pigs. My husband feels the same. I do not really have to worry about buying meat for them as they are all herbivores. Our rabbit can run freely in the living room after we have come home from work and he is very tame. He is a dwarf lop, maybe that helps. He does not have a rabbit companion, even though he is neutered, but he likes his guinea-pig neighbours a lot. They live in twos. Normally, when I clean the cages, they all can walk in a foldable play pen with a big towel underneath and the rabbit likes to come by to eat hay or other treats I give them. They make sweet little companions and it is fun watching them. I would never keep a dog as I am not capable of training it properly and I never really liked cats. My husband loves cats, but he agreed that a rabbit was a better solution for a flat. I do not get the impression that my animals are unhappy, to the contrary. If they were, I would try and do something about it, as I did by giving Jaap a companion. He in his turn was our first rabbit's companion -neighbour- and got very sad when he died.

I do not feel guilty or whatever about keeping my animals in cages, as I have always tried to find the biggest cage for them. They have got their shelters and get lots of attention. I think keeping pets is a decision that is personal, whether you are vegan or not. I do not have a problem with people keeping pets, whether it is dogs or birds or rabbits, as long as they look after them properly and give them the biggest possible homes.

Mirjam

RubyDuby

I dont really know why, but keeping birds seems wrong to me... unless their rescued captive-bred... well, I guess that's in line with my no breeding or buying policy anyway.

Quote Billy View Post
    It would mean an end to 8000+ healthy dogs a year who get put to sleep in UK pounds, simply for being surplus to requirement
    It would mean an end to all those dogs who are being neglected, abused, abandoned and often suffer horrendously before they die a lonely and sometimes painful death.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I can't help but feel (whether I'm right or wrong) that any one talking around this is in some way deluded
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

EcoTribalVegan

Yes/No. I'm all for keeping rescued animals or animals that otherwise would have been homeless, but against keeping other pets.
    This one.

I have pets I purchased before I became a vegetarian even. Now that I'm a vegan I look at them completely differently. Sometimes I cry because I wish they were free. If I ever have the opportunity, and it can be done without endangering their lives, I will certainly try to free them.

I will never buy a pet again. Animals certainly aren't commodities. I may help an already domesticated animal out if it is in need of a good home by going to shelters. This also prevents killing them just because they don't have enough room; thereby giving the animal a life it normally wouldn't have.

RubyDuby

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. I can't help but feel (whether I'm right or wrong) that any one talking around this is in some way deluded

talking around? does that mean disagreeing?

Quote Minoan_Chris View Post
    This one.

I have pets I purchased before I became a vegetarian even. Now that I'm a vegan I look at them completely differently. Sometimes I cry because I wish they were free. If I ever have the opportunity, and it can be done without endangering their lives, I will certainly try to free them.
    I feel exactly the same way about my chinchillas.

RubyDuby

i bought an iguana at a pet store when i was in college.

he was sickly and small. I had him for 3 years before he died. He never got any bigger or stronger. I still feel wretched over it. poor Buddy.

aw thats so sad, I will be very upset when my bearded dragon passes on, he is so sweet...I'm so sorry ruby
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote Billy View Post
    These animals tend not to come from breeders though!The only rescue dogs i or friends have had that could be classed as 'bred' were greyhounds,all the others have been mongrels!
    Do breeders not tend to 'do their own dirty work'?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    i bought an iguana at a pet store when i was in college.

he was sickly and small. I had him for 3 years before he died. He never got any bigger or stronger. I still feel wretched over it. poor Buddy.
    I am sorry to hear about your poor reptile and understand how you feel. My ex flat mate, who was an animal collector, got a bearded dragon who had to have his leg amputated due to gangarine. The vet bill was very expensive too. I should know because I paid it. In fact I ended up paying all her vet bills and even some of her food (She needed to get the food online and her credit card wasn't working. I'm still waiting to be paid back). At the time I was stupid enough to think I was helping matters but in actual fact I was just contributing to her cruel practice of 'owning' too many animals.

RubyDuby

yeah, is a tough thing once the animals are purchased.

I would never in a million years purchase a life again... unless its a plant!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    These animals tend not to come from breeders though!The only rescue dogs i or friends have had that could be classed as 'bred' were greyhounds,all the others have been mongrels!
    Do breeders not tend to 'do their own dirty work'?
    Well all those animals have been bred, whether that was as an "accidental litter" or as part of the "merchandise" of a business. But even if they don't end up from the breeder straight into a rescue, there is nothing that will prevent an animal bought from a breeder end up in rescue, because people's circumstances change, or they simply haven't given enough thought to the wants and needs of the animal that they purchased, and get rid of them by giving them to a rescue. A friend of mine has got 5 dogs, all rescues, that weren't on death row but were never going to be adopted again either because of health issues or age - so she took them in. They are 3 yorkies, a beagle and a border collie, all purebred.
    Some breeders will do their own dirty work, but not all of them. The point is though, if there weren't so many puppies available of every single conceivable breed, then people might be more inclined to have a look in rescues for "their" dog. I do tend to think, whenever someone's got a pup from a breeder, that that space could have ben filled by a dog in a rescue.
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

I had a coleeg that only tuck in pure breed Boxers. Mad about them he was. They had come from abusive homes and people that just couldn't cope with them any more. He had four last time I herd.
    NUTTER ME THINKS.
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

FOUR Boxers!!!Respect to that guy!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

RubyDuby

Quote Billy View Post
    I do tend to think, whenever someone's got a pup from a breeder, that that space could have ben filled by a dog in a rescue.
    thats my problem too. I just can't wrap my mind around the need for a specific breed.

I work at a doggie daycare that finds homes for a few rescues at a time. Theres a couple who has a boxer that comes in for daycare. They're trying to find the perfect friend for that boxer. They have purchased 5 different dogs and given them up so far. Well, they have the 5th right now. They keep buying them and finding reasons to give them up. Two dogs ago was a gorgeous american pit bull named Sid who is staying at my job right now. They had him for almost a year. Now he's a homeless, crazy, out of control, untrained, almost unadoptable, GIANT, neurotic dog. It makes me sick. When they gave him up they bought a deaf blue (beautiful) pit named Ray Charles. A deaf puppy pit... and they couldnt handle Sid! They only had Ray Charles for a few weeks before giving him up. Now they bought another pit. When will it end?

Oohh. That's a tough one! I'm really torn between all of the yes options and the last yes/no option. They're all definitely valid responses, though, including the 'no' options. It's such a complicated matter. I'm very involved in animal rescue and I've never really been able to make up my mind about whether or not I would keep pets IF there was no such thing as a population/abandonment/special needs crisis. I really love having (live, happy, healthy) animals around me. But I don't like to think that having pets means that I "use" animals. I don't know...

Angry Re: What is your opinion about keeping pets? Poll planned...

i visited a pet store yesterday. I had put if off for about a year.

It was horrible inside, i recommend everyone who knows of a loval pet store to go and visit inside it, it has made me more committed vegan and for AR.

It was sad in this place. Then i got home and cried. There was a puppy there that reminds me of our old dog, and i so wanted to save it.
    the woman who runs this shop is a ugly evil horrible person.

I come home wanting to 'rescue' this dog, but then i read about puppy mills and once i read about and saw how bad they are, there is no way i can justify giving this evil moron money for a puppy.

I didnt know how terrible puppy mills are, i was really naive. I mean these places seem the same or even worse than pig factory farms. The dogs are in tiny cages, and are so mistreated they lose hair, teeth, cant walk, never touch the ground.

I never knew about this, its just so terrible.
    I am trying to find somewhere that has leafets about pet shops cause i want to protest outside this place.

People who dont get their companion animals from shelters used to annoy me, but now that really pisses me off big time... I dont understand why people dont get their pets from shelters "Ooooh i must have such and such a breed", what a load of sh*t!And also people who breed animals, i think that is like the most pathetic thing ever, this world already has too many animals why on Earth make it worse, why cause more suffering!

I know i have prolly offended people but i am allowed to think it is horrible to purchase animals from pet shops. thats my opinon. If people feel guilty about having done it maybe they could try prevent others from making the same mistake ... hand out leaflets outside these horrible places to let others know about it, put adverts in the paper or something to warn others of it.

I really cant beleive how bad puppy mills are, and that its not known about more...its just horrible! Sigh this planet sucks.

Pilaf

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    talking around? does that mean disagreeing?

It's a method of talking often used by politicians. They hide their true feelings and agendas by throwing up strawman arguments and unrelated personal bigotries as excuses for their actions.

I am at a big Yes and no On this one. It does break my hart to know so many people buy or aquire there pets on an idea and not looking at the facts of what it is they are about to get into. Dogs for family christmas presant, a horible thing to do to a puppy. They are so confused when the arive stripped from there mother. They really need a day of one on one in a quiet home. This one day can really make a differance in there training. Cats that never get the proper shots, Parrots living a life inside a cage.
    I had an iguana some years ago and he was kat box trained, we didn`t have a cage just a habitat in the house for him to hang in , but when I get home he followed us around ( 4' long). A free lovin life lizard. It is crual to not obediance train a dog and dominate him/ her with a "choke chain". I have helped so many people obedeance train it makes people have more value in there dogs because of invested time and reward. For the dog and the owner this is the time the relationship is mended.

I`m so sorry if you think I should get my next dog at a shelter But.............. If that is ones motive than they should not own pets. Sorry. Lots of sheltered animals could have an abusive past and me being a pro in training know that you will be giving yourself more work that time you could have. These sweet abused animals can be extreemly unsafe to children and strangers. An abuse animal lives life in constant fear, shaking, urinating when being pet or talked to. The simtoms do go away slowly over time. And the breed is more important than you could beleve. They really are differant. You must know what kind of breed you want before anything is brought home , they ARE all so defferant in many ways. You wouln`t get a pitbull because you like to socialize at the local dog park. The chances are slim the dog will tolorate others. (but some do)
    To own exotic , one really needs to be a pro in the particulare animal itself. When I grew up I had a macaw. She lived most her days in the trees in the back yard doing as she pleased, when the sun would go down she would be waiting at the back door to be let in and would walk to and up her stand for the night. Trixy was happy and loved us very much but I always new something was missing. She seemed lonely anyway. I will not get another parrot.

Quote Billy View Post
    I absolutely adore my 2 dogs, and I feel like a day without dogs is a day not lived. And yet I would welcome the day that there simply would not be any more dogs to give a home to. It would mean no more puppy mills, no more back yard breeders, no more "bona fide" breeders who still kill puppies that don't make the breed standard. This evening I met a tank of a Dobermann, who is one of the best in his team in fly ball - he loves it! He was the runt of a litter of a "recognised" breeder, who was going to kill him - because he wasn't as big and strong looking as her other pups and she didn't want her reputation, as a breeder of big, powerful dogs, soiled!

That day cannot come soon enough for me. But unfortunately that day won't come within my life time, so I'll pick up a few of the pieces that have been created by so-called "dog lovers" (or not even that, just people who thought they could make a quick buck out of having a litter of pups), and care for rescue dogs. My day of celebration, however, would be the day that the last rescue would shut its doors for good, simply because it'd be no longer needed.
    *Nods vigorously* This is exactly how I feel. I love this forum.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Sorry, I haven't read the full thread, but what I got from the original post I think is ridiculous. In this city, there are hundreds of stray cats that die every day from starvation or disease because they are abandoned and there are actually agencies here that capture/exterminate them. We've rescued many of them off the streets and placed them in loving homes and currently keep four of them. They are extremely loving , happy, playful, and a part of the family and we love them dearly. Should we just toss them out the door to let them starve? They're domesticated companion animals that aren't conditioned to living in a wild state amidst human society.

Seriously, unless you plan on abandoning your ways as a member of destructive, ever-expansive, all-consuming industrial society and go run wild and naked in a wilderness preserve, there's no way you're not going to have a negative impact on animal life. Unless we destroy human society completely, there's no way that this sort of idealistic nature-state for animals can exist today. All we can do is try to reduce our negative impact with our wallets, buying only products that do not directly contain animal ingredients or endorse animal suffering.

There's a big difference in going to Africa and bringing back a Puma to saving an abandoned kitten from your back yard.

Mahk

Seba, I think most of us agree with you that existing animals shouldn't be kicked out the door and made to fend for themselves on the street. I think the real question is do we have the right to continue to breed them for entertainment/companionship/work (think police dog) etc? What do you think and why?

-
    Last edited by Mr Flibble; Oct 10th, 2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: It's too early in the morning for what I was going to say :P

I am totally and absolutely against breeding animals of any description for human use, so as well as meat animals that includes all others who are bred to be accessories to sport, status symbols in the show ring or to fulfill a need in the human who wants them. The whole pet trade stinks, but so does the show breeder world and competitive sports involving animals. I would like to see it all stop, but that is a very long term dream. In the meantime I support any lobbying to ban the sale of animals in petshops etc. because everything has to start somewhere and small improvements are better than none, because they open the road to awareness of what is wrong.

There is however now, as we speak, a huge reservoir of animals in need who have been produced and cast aside by our fellow human beings. If I was to be proclaimed, by some, as a non vegan for sharing my life with and helping as many of these animals as possible then so be it. I am not interested in labels and whether I am entitled to wear a label or not ---I am interested in living as cruelty free a lifestyle as possible. To turn my back on animals in need to me would be as cruel as sending them to the abattoir and eating them.

So yes, I would go further than saying that it's okay for vegans to keep "pets"---I would say they should, as long as there are animals on the scrap heap in need of help.
    I do what I can and that's better than doing nothing

I think I would chose the last option. I have been thinking about this issue for a while now actually.
    I think it is definately hypocritical to get pets from breeders which have been bred for physical characteristics alone and the mothers not treated humanley, it is similar in my opionion to the treatment of dairy cows. And also As a vegan I think it is wrong to buy animals and keep them for our own pleasure.
    BUT
    There are so many homeless animals out there and animals that are maltreated, and in that case sureley it would be better to look after those animals and prevent them from getting put down or further neglected. But even them I think somewhere I would be wondering if it is right for me to basically own an animal. One of my bog arguments to people about being vegan is that i think animals and humans should be treated equally, so if i would think it is wrong to own a human then it must be wrong to own an animal.....
    Hmmm bit confused really on this topic!

c'mon Korn, get this poll up and running then!

I have four cats, all rescued!

(Gizmo who we got from a shelter, Bella who my callous sister left outside and to wander the streets unsterilised so I just took her one day, Tabbatha who was a friends who was gonna abandone her when they moved away and Roxy who I found wandering on a main road, flea bitten and diseased.)

I would never ever ever buy a pet when there are so many that need homes. Someone offered me a black kitten the other day but we are just sooo full up at the moment we probably couldn't afford or cope with another cat. I don't really agree with imprisoning animals into your way of life, but while there are still animals that need a good home, love and good vegan grub I'll take up the challenge.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I don't see anything wrong with humans having relationships with animals, or owning pets.
    The entire reason I went vegan is because of the relationships/connections I developed with my animals. Caring for my pets taught me compassion for all living creatures, domesticated or not, on a much higher level. Quality of life is very important for all animals and humans, and some animals need to be taken care of just as some humans need to be taken care of because we are domesticated creatures.
    I don't feel complete when my pets aren't with me, and they get very sad when either my husband and/or I leave...so assume they feel the same way.
    They really have always been more than just a hobby or pet to me...I actually consider them family and would do anything to make them happy, healthy, or protect them the same way I would another person I loved.
    We rescued all of our animals from abuse/neglect. I do not support breeders AT ALL. It makes me sick to think about puppy farms or pet stores that neglect and abuse their animals. To think about all of the kill shelters gives me chills...how could people want to ADD to the murder for easy money?!
    But so much of the fault lies with irresponsible owners who bite off more than they can chew. They think a cute little baby animal is great until it takes up their time and money. I've seen so many people just discard their pets b/c it got hard for them to get up and walk them, or clean up after them, or dish out the money to a vet.
    And then there are some people who don't care to connect with their animals...they treat them as a hobby in their spare time, or something cute to look at. They're missing out.
    However, there are those such as myself that can learn so much from the love of a dog, or cat, or sugar glider... ...and really make changes for the better. I wouldn't be a vegan today if it weren't for my babies and everything they've taught me!

I could go on about my personal experiences and get extra mushy...but I'm rambling. I'm sure I repeated some former comments, but I just wanted to share my perspective.

Quote diannerd View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with humans having relationships with animals, or owning pets.
    I agree with everything you've said in your post except the word 'owning'. If you have children; do you own them? If you view animals as being your family, why talk about them in terms of a commodity that is bought/sold?

RubyDuby

Last edited by RubyDuby; Nov 26th, 2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: double post

RubyDuby

Quote Angiemom View Post
    I`m so sorry if you think I should get my next dog at a shelter But.............. If that is ones motive than they should not own pets. Sorry. Lots of sheltered animals could have an abusive past and me being a pro in training know that you will be giving yourself more work that time you could have. These sweet abused animals can be extreemly unsafe to children and strangers. An abuse animal lives life in constant fear, shaking, urinating when being pet or talked to. The simtoms do go away slowly over time. And the breed is more important than you could beleve. They really are differant. You must know what kind of breed you want before anything is brought home , they ARE all so defferant in many ways. You wouln`t get a pitbull because you like to socialize at the local dog park. The chances are slim the dog will tolorate others. (but some do)
    I'm sorry, but WHAT???
    I guess the dozens of rescued pits etc at places I've worked are all just a fluke? (I've worked in 3 kennels, 2 vets and a cagefree dog daycare in 7 years time) I've met many more aggressive golden retrievers than pit bulls, dobies and rotties. Different breeds definately have different personalities, but so do each dog within the breed.

Of course there are dogs who will never be 100% ok, but that is not the norm. I would say pretty close to all rescues will bond and acclimate to its loving adoptive mom and dad. That doesnt mean you should bring him/her to a dog park and let it go. To have a pet the owner must be trained first, and have some sense. We need to behave according to our dogs needs. or do not get a pet.

So do you think rescues should just die off then while we keep purchasing animals to make sure we arent too put off while having them in our care?

I dont understand how people can buy a dog from a breeder or pet store.

I understand how you might say that, but I think you're seeing something that isn't there.

I apologize for not using the correct word, but I believe the rest of my post explains how I feel quite clearly, and I would hate to think people would assume otherwise.

I also want to add, that I hope this is not the sort of forum where people will quickly assume the worst. I came here for support, and hope to support others.

That's all for tonight, Dianne

Quote ClawsyWP View Post
    I dont understand why people dont get their pets from shelters "Ooooh i must have such and such a breed", what a load of sh*t!
    Quote Billy View Post
    A friend of mine has got 5 dogs, all rescues . . . 3 yorkies, a beagle and a border collie, all purebred.
    The thing is, as others have said, you can have a preference for a particular breed and can still find it in a shelter - it is not a reason to buy rather than rescue an animal.
    Even if the type of animal you are looking for is not immediately available it probably will be if you are willing to wait because people abandon or give away all breeds, even very 'expensive' ones.

(I got both my French Lop rabbits from rescues but they would have cost a lot from a breeder.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

That's very true, Marrers. I have 2 rex rabbits that I love and a friend of mine has an angora. All were rescues. Even fancy little designer dogs get abandoned eventually. Everything is bound to go out of style, I guess. There are also lots of rescues that specialize in particular breeds. One of my friends went so far as to adopt a rescued scottish fold (cat) from georgia and have it flown to california. There are lots of options out there.