View Poll Results: Which of these statements about 'pets' do you agree in? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • Veganism means not using animals for food, clothing, entertainment or any other purpose. Keeping a 'pet' = "other purpose"

55 16.22%
  • I'm against puppy mills and commercial breeding of animals

254 74.93%
  • I'm all for keeping rescued animals or animals that otherwise need me, but against keeping other 'pets'

181 53.39%
  • I'm against keeping animals in captivity, which is why I prefer not to keep 'pets' captivated

59 17.40%
  • I prefer not to make decisions about animals' social life, sex life, toilet habits, death date or or anything else.

49 14.45%
  • As long as a 'pet' can freely roam around, but doesn't escape, I don't see anything wrong with keeping it

93 27.43%
  • Keeping meat eating animals means either supporting the meat industry (when buying 'pet' food) or giving them plant food, which isn't natural for them

86 25.37%
  • I'm not OK with keeping animals that needs to be caged

140 41.30%
  • Unless we make all domesticated/institutionalized animals extinct (which I don't want), someone needs to take care of them

144 42.48%
  • I would like to see the end of humans keeping all animals

51 15.04%
  • I would like to see the end of humans keeping all animals, even if this means human extinction of certain animals

36 10.62%
  • Regulations re. keeping animals need to be stricter than they are today

193 56.93%
  • I disagree with selling animals for profit

235 69.32%
  • Humans + 'pets' = non-obligatory mutualism

54 15.93%
  • Non-obligatory mutualism? It's called The Stockholm syndrome!

15 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pets" - Which of these statements do you agree with?

Default "Pets" - Which of these statements do you agree with?

Hi,
    I've been in contact with Fekkler, who started this thread about the rights and wrongs regarding keeping pets. We plan to have a poll in this section soon about this topic, and here are a few reply options so far:

Is it right for a vegan to keep a 'pet'?

No. I don't have the right to own and train a 'pet' even I personally would enjoyed having one around me.
    No. I don't want to take the responsibility for or execute any power over the life and death of another sentient being.
    No. Veganism means choosing to live without using animals for food, clothing, entertainment or any other purpose.
    No. I can't be against keeping cows and sheep in captivity, but defend keeping dogs and cats captivated.

No, but... I don't think keeping pets (other than rescued animals) is ethically acceptable, but my love for / desire to be around animals is stronger then my principles.

Yes. These animals are highly domesticated, and unless we exterminate all of them - which I don't think we have the right to do - someone needs to take care of them.
    Yes. I already had a 'pet' before I became vegan, and plan keep it as long as it's alive.
    Yes. I think having cats and dogs among humans will help humans to see and understand that animals have feelings and deserve respect, and maybe help more people go vegan.

Yes/No. I'm all for keeping rescued animals or animals that otherwise would have been homeless, but against keeping other pets.

Comments and suggestions for additional reply options (or changes in the suggested ones) are welcome...

Default Re: Poll planned: Is it right for a vegan to keep a 'pet'?

I would choose the last option - I would gladly forsake having rescue animals if the pet trade would just disappear, even though I love my companion animals to bits.
    I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

I think it does somewhat depend on the animal. Personally, I think the relationship between man and dog can be a mutual one. I believe that originally man didn't domesticate wolves; they had a mutually agreeable alliance. Of course, things have gone a little haywire since!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Could you perhaps modify the last option, or add an extra one to read something like

"Yes/No. I'm all for keeping rescued animals or animals that otherwise would have been homeless, but against the pet trade"

Along the lines of what RW said I believe it's likely that dogs (and cats) originally "self-domesticated". If we could return to a state of nature and a dog or cat wanted to move in with me I wouldn't kick it out

You might want to review the reference to captivity too as a lot of domestic cats are free to leave (even though obviously they can't return to their natural habitat).

Well, I personally subscribe to " I don't want to take the responsibility for or execute any power over the life and death of another sentient being.", however, that's my personal preference, I would not presume to say that someone who had rescued an animal which would otherwise be in a shelter was not vegan, on the other hand I can see the point that keeping "pets" might be a bad example, as it makes it look like we have the right to control the destinies of non-human animals.

Can we have a "sittin' on the fence" option?

Could we mention how we might be okay with cats/dogs/bunnies but not exotic pets like lizards/snakes.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Is it right for a vegan to keep a 'pet'? Poll planned

Could we mention how we might be okay with cats/dogs/bunnies but not exotic pets like lizards/snakes.
    Maybe...? Can you suggest a reply option - a sentence that contains a short explanation (re. why it would be OK to keep dogs/cats etc)? IMO, the reason people have the opinion they have is a lot more interesting than what opinion they have...
    Can we have a "sittin' on the fence" option?
    Yes!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

oh, this is SUCH a difficult one. personally, i feel like my dog is one of my best friends and i truly believe that he ENJOYS living with us. unlike cows, who i'm sure do NOT enjoy being milked/slaughtered. but i don't like the thought of the pet trade and all the breeding just for our enjoyment. oh, i don't know! however, they ARE domesticated and have been for so long but then that's not really an argument because cows have been milked for so long. mmmmm, tricky.....

sjne01487

Ask the anmimals I have rescued from death, they will give you a better answer.
    Stan Johnson, England

Yes. I already had a 'pet' before I became vegan, and plan keep it as long as it's alive.

Both my cats were just kitten when i got them but i do believe that they are better off with me than they were with there previous owners who had them living in a shoe box under there bed.

To each vegan it’s a personal choice i don’t think you can really say it's a yes or no situation.

Well that’s just my 2 cents

Quote sjne01487 View Post
    Ask the anmimals I have rescued from death, they will give you a better answer.
    Stan Johnson, England
    What an excellent post!

Mahk

The poll question is a complex, multi-faceted one that I for one cannot give an answer too (because it boggles my mind). Several aspects have already been brought up: is the species an already "domesticated" one?...is the animal a rescued "orphan"? For me, one of the main stumbling blocks is living with an animal that is dependent on me buying dead animal flesh products to feed it. A dog that I feed a vegan diet to seems entirely different to me from a cat, which I feel must be fed meat, in order for it to be healthy. I'm no expert in this field and I mean no offense to anyone who buys meat for their animals. As a response to the poll, I guess I'd word it:

"Yes, as long as the animal itself is kept as a vegan and is not fed meat."

This is something I have given much thought to. I believe that it is wrong to use animals for any purpose, including companionship and therefore I am against the pet trade and 'hobby' breeding.

However, it breaks my heart that hundreds of thousands of animals are put to sleep every year in rescues for lack of homes. They didn't ask to be born and are the innocent victims of a pet owning society. I do not believe that it goes against my vegan principles to have companion animals that would otherwise live out their lives in a rescue/be put to sleep.

I love my companion animals (four rats) dearly and I do enjoy having them around. However, I can honestly say that if there were no animals in rescues, I would not keep them because breeding for companionship is no different to breeding for food/clothing etc.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

A difficult one. For me I am my cats pet. She has freedom to come and go and chooses to stay with me. I do agree there has to be respect for animals who cohabit and it should not be an industry. It's not the sharing my house space I have a problem with it is buying cat food as cats can't be veggie unlike dogs so although I keep her on fish that is not ideal. But she did not grow up as a mouser and although I have tried using the additive you can use to make veggie cat food I have not been too successful.

Default Re: Is it right for a vegan to keep a 'pet'? Poll planned.

Cats refuse to be owned!

I'm of mixed opinion, some creatures have been domesticated for so long that they cannot feasibly returned to the wild. When I next chose to live with a non human animal I want to rescue it.

I would have to pick all three yes options.

I also do not think of my dogs as "pets". They are my companions. We live together. We sleep together, we eat together, we play together, we walk together, we have wild tickle fights together.

I've been slowly introducing the concept of animal companions to my kindy kids instead of "pet". I also try to avoid all activities that divide animals into four groups: farm, zoo, and pet. I hate that.

I would have to pick all three yes options.
    Do these three options cover all your reasons for having the viewpoints you have?
    I also do not think of my dogs as "pets".
    Lots of people don't like the word pet, which is why I wrote 'pet' instead.
    Some people don't like the word companion animals either, because it sounds like it's made up as an excuse for owning animals or for the 'pet' trade.

Do we need more reply options before we start the poll?

Call me picky but I would prefer the poll to be entitled "As a vegan, what is your opinion about keeping pets?" I know it's not as "catchy" or succinct, but the wording "is it right for a vegan" makes me feel that a law is being imposed on me from outside And we all know as vegans that veganism isn't a "law" or set of rules. I don't think I'd vote in the poll with the wording as it stands currently.

That definitely makes sense to me, and since this is a forum for vegans only, maybe we don't need the words 'As a vegan' either?

Sounds better to me
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Agreed

Quote Korn View Post
    Do these three options cover all your reasons for having the viewpoints you have?
    Well, I also have to say this: if being vegan meant that I had to give up my dogs, I would not be vegan. That doesn't mean that I would suddenly start chomping on a chunk of cow, but I would not call myself vegan. I would much rather have my heart ripped out of my chest by someone with very dirty fingernails than give up my dogs.
    Also, it's not looking like I'm ever going to find a human companion. Does being vegan mean I then have to live my life alone? No thanks. I prefer to have companions and right now, dogs are the best kind of companions for me as they do not have any nasty or disagreeable habits (eat meat, drink alcohol, smoke, do drugs, be cruel to animals, go to church, etc.) Hard to find a human that fits all that. Don't see why being vegan should mean I deprive myself of animal companionship.
    I don't really see a way of incorporating all that into a poll option though. But, I've just stated my piece, so it's easy for me to bow out of a poll.

Klutz, one possibility might be to have a poll option that says "I feel that keeping animals is compatible with veganism." What do you think?

fiamma, And here I thought I was difficult to sum up! I love your poll option! Korn, can we have that, too?

"I feel that keeping animals is compatible with veganism."
    ... which should cover animals bought from the 'pet trade', puppy farms etc. as well? A yes to commercial breeding?

Okay, how about, "I feel that keeping animals CAN be compatible with veganism."

But when can it be compatible? The more specific the reply options are, the less boring the poll will be!

In the same vein I would only give a home to a rescue animal, but have no real desire for a pet as such.

That said the animal would get good excercise and diet.

I don't think that this topic is very good for a poll. You would have to have so many options to cover everything and some people might have a hard time deciding which option if they believe in more than one. (like me) I think that this is a topic best for debate in a thread where people can state their beliefs, when they would make exceptions (if any), etc.

Might the poll work better if you could agree/disagree with a number of statements rather than having to pick a single option?

Quote RedWellies View Post
    I believe that originally man didn't domesticate wolves; they had a mutually agreeable alliance.
    A nice thought . . . but highly unlikely in my opinion. More likely, man killed mother wolves and took their pups, just like how you would get a wolf today. Then, perhaps man (or woman) proceded to kill off all the wolf pups that showed hostility to humans and bred the ones with more docile temperaments.

However, you are not alone in your belief. People who guess about the beginings of dog domestication tend to agree with you--not me.

Maybe you are right, John, but there are people now who interact with animals such as wolves. I think we can learn to "speak" their language and respect their way of life. They can do the same with us if they choose to. Humans were probably much more in tune with nature and animals back then and I don't think it's impossible that the wolves stood to gain from the alliance too. I guess we'll never know.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

There is another theory that dogs are an off-shoot from wolves, that hung around human villages to scavenge and the braver ones were more successful as they got more food and so slowly became domesticated.

Monday

Quote John View Post
    A nice thought . . . but highly unlikely in my opinion. More likely, man killed mother wolves and took their pups, just like how you would get a wolf today. Then, perhaps man (or woman) proceded to kill off all the wolf pups that showed hostility to humans and bred the ones with more docile temperaments.

However, you are not alone in your belief. People who guess about the beginings of dog domestication tend to agree with you--not me.
    John - I agree with you 100%

Re cats, some people think they started hanging around human habitations because of the mice in the grain stores. This theory seems quite plausible to me as it's how a lot of cats lived until recently, and some still do - but as it was in pre-history I don't see how we could ever establish the truth for certain.

Mahk

Just to play devil's advocate:

Is it right for a vegan to keep a 'pet'?...If 'Yes' then...
    Is it right for an omni neighbor to keep a 'pet'?
    Is it right for the omni neighbor to teach the 'pet' to perform tricks?
    Is it right for the omni neighbor to exhibit these tricks to other omnis?
    Is it right for the omni neighbor to charge admission to see these tricks?
    How is this not a circus (with "animal acts") or a zoo?

My point is it's a "slippery slope".

[edit to add: I've added links to the expressions I used here just in case these are American only expressions. Being American myself, it is hard for me to know what are just used here as opposed to international English usage.]

I see your point but we all have a choice and can choose not to turn our "pets" into circus animals. I actually think there are lots of people out there who eat animals but disagree with zoos and circuses.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make, Mahk. As for the diference between vegans/non-vegans keeping pets, that's not really the issue here. The pet is still being kept, regardless of its owner's vegan/non-vegan status. Alright so vegans have different views to non-vegans on the use of animals, but we're talking from a vegan point of view since this is a vegan forum, so I feel that your post complicates things unnecessarily. And why provide links to the terms devil's advocate and slippery slope? I think most people understand what these terms mean.

I dont mean to sound rude here but who cares what others think if it is or isnt right for a vegan to keep animals. I have a cat and couldnt give a darn if someone thought it wasnt ok for a vegan to have one. Im happy with her, she is happy here. If someone doesnt want animals in there life then so be it but i dont see why we need a poll on if its right or not.

i dont see why we need a poll on if its right or not
    I agree that we don't need a poll, Puffin. It's only an 'excuse' to discuss a topic that we know many people are interested in discussing.

Given that many dogs are Alpha within the human home, could the question be 'Is it right for dogs to keep humans as pets?' Alpha dogs don't leave home when they make top dog, they don't turn and kill their owners, no, instead they lay back and let their human subs do their bidding. Should we ban pet keeping because its cruel to humans, making them go out to work to feed a scavenger that has by emotional manipulation worked his way into the family home. I find that question about as logical as the debate over whether it's right for humans to 'keep' pets. Pet keeping is for the most part a two way deal, the pet gets virtually everything it wants from an often submissive or in cat speak 'inferior' being, and the human get the joy and companionship of a wonder of nature.
    Of course there are pets that would be happier living free and there are those that will always try to get a human provider, dogs being the obvious ones.
    I do think though that if the question is asked in that form there should also be others asked with it, namely 'is it right to take away the right of a human being to have close contact with animals', 'is it right to take away human liberty and free will when it does not cause tangible suffering or death?' and 'is it right to take away the freedom of animals to choose to live with humans?'.

Unfortunately not all 'pet' owners are that clued up about how to provide everything an animal needs though. My Grandparent's neighbours had a pedigree Shnauzer. He was fed egg and bacon for breakfast every morning..and given a bath every day...went out for a quick crap in the morning and back in again to watch TV with them for the rest of the day....They took him to the vets because his skin was going all funny......Maybe there should be some kind of test that people pay to take to decide whether or not they are capable of looking after an animal.....

Mahk

Fiamma, I guess what I'm asking (not stating) is, "Would it not be hypocritical for vegans to allow for pet ownership for themselves, yet disallow it for non-vegans, because they fear non-vegans would abuse the privilege and justify having public zoos, as well?" Here in the US, where private gun ownership (with restrictions) is legal ( ), a common theme you hear from people who own guns is "I have guns because I'll use them safely. I just don't want "bad guys" to be allowed to have guns."

I gave links to the meanings of the slang terms I used in case they were "American slang" only, as opposed to universal "English language slang". It's hard for me to know the difference. I'm sorry, I'll stop that. In reading other posts here on the forum, I find I have to look up a lot of the words and phrases. In "American" , to "take the piss out of someone" would mean sticking a catheter into their bladder in order to extract urine!

I'm sorry if I came over heavy-handed Mahk, my apologies. It's just such a complex topic, and one that seems to encompass so many issues. It's certainly turning into an interesting thread Thanks for your post, I appreciate it.

This is a tricky one... I guess so, but in general, people who aren't caring for their animals properly shouldn't be able to keep them.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    would you be able to give a home to a lizard, snake or other exotic pet if it was a rescue animal which would have been killed otherwise?
    what about breeding and buying/ selling of bunnies, cats, dogs? Is that OK?

What about non vegan dead meat pet food?
    This poll looks like it could be a minefield!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    '

Should it make a difference what people keep? They all have something in common. Living, breathing, creatures. Why should it be okay to keep a cat but not a reptile? I thought Cats were concidered exotic.

I think there is a differance between a relationship with a common household 'pet' who can be trusted to roam freely and an exotic animal that often has to be caged. So I would say yes for certain animals and no for exotics.

I have rats and dogs and I've also had cats in the past. You know when a dog is happy. They wag their tail. Cats purr and rats Brux.

I also have chinchillas and I did have a couple of Snakes in my bedroom for a few months. My ex flat mate also used to keep lots of reptiles. (The snakes in my bedroom were originally her's). Anyway unlike cats, dogs or rats there is no clear way of knowing when these animals are happy or sad. Also from personal experience I've found the 'collector' mentality seems to be more evident in those that keep exotic animals rather then those that keep cats, dogs, or rats. There is more evidence with some exotic species such as birds and reptiles that some are still being caught from the wild and being passed off as 'captive bred'. You wouldn't be able to do this with a truely domesticated animal.

Quote magpie View Post
    Should we ban pet keeping because its cruel to humans, making them go out to work to feed a scavenger that has by emotional manipulation worked his way into the family home. I find that question about as logical as the debate over whether it's right for humans to 'keep' pets. Pet keeping is for the most part a two way deal, the pet gets virtually everything it wants from an often submissive or in cat speak 'inferior' being, and the human get the joy and companionship of a wonder of nature.
    I love this. This is kind of the relationship I have with my dogs, except that they are not cats and so do not view me as a slightly scuzzy being who is "beneath" them. Emotional manipulation...oh yes. Those big shiny eyes that seem to shimmer with tears every morning when it's time for me to go to work. I find myself reminding them that I have to go out and earn money in order to maintain their lifestyle. That is true, but it's also true that I wouldn't care about coming home if they weren't here. This would be just a box I live in without them to give it emotional warmth. I rarely go anywhere except to work and to go buy food because I prefer to be with them than anywhere else.

i also think this is a very important issue to discuss, but i agree with Mahk that my biggest problem with keeping rescue cats (it's obvious to me that people should only keep "pets" that are rescue animals, the pet trade is horrible) is that many people, vegan or otherwise, feed them meat. so could the last option, or an added option, be formulated in a way that "it's ok to keep rescue "pets" if they are fed a vegan diet." ?

i know that there are a lot of vegan cats but some cats seem to have a problem turning to a vegan diet, that's one of the reasons to why i couldn't keep a rescue cat. i also feel very sad for the many cats that are kept indoors always. sorry for straying from the subject.