Thread: White sauce / other things with soy milk

Default White sauce / other things with soy milk

hi everyone - sorry if i've put this in the wrong place. i'm not sure how the whole sub-section forum thing works?

anyhow, i was making a white sauce the other night for my flatmate and i to put over some leeks, and so i was using soy milk (the alpro stuff). it's the first time i've really made it, and i was a little disappointed, because it tasted quite sweet.

i was wondering if using the unsweetened soy milk is what more people use for cooking things like sauces, or if there was a better non-dairy alternative? i've also used it for soups in the past, and although it's ok in some, it's been a little too sweet in others...

amanda

Cloud_Child

Default Re: White sauce/other things with soy milk

When i make a white sauce type thing i often just add flour to the veg in a frying pan and then just use water, if you have other tastes there it really doesn't matter, you could add some stock if you wanted.

i find rice milk is better in savoury food, although it's not quite as thick as soya milk.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I do use soy milk in sauces - I don't usually notice it being too sweet, though I think some brands may be sweeter than others.

Oat milk is another one you could try. That works quite well in soup I think although I haven't had any for a while.

You can actually make white sauce with water or veg. stock as well.

I think the main thing is to use the unsweetened. It's actually slightly less sweet than cow's milk and makes lovely sauces.

Absolutely. I always use unsweetened stuff for cooking. I feel your pain flying plum - I once made white sauce with alpro sweetened in an emergency! Yuck.

I've used 'so good' in sweet recipes and that's ok, but generally I use unsweetened soya milk in the sweet recipes too.

thanks everyone unsweetened it is! i prefer the sweetened kind in tea, but i think i'll get a thing of long life unsweetened next time i'm shopping for emergencies! i've never really got into rice milk, but maybe will give that a fling in my spinach soup at the weekend.

amanda

I don't use milk substitutes at all now - I try and cook recipes without and find vegan margerine, flour, vegetable stock, white wine, mushrooms and dill make a much nicer sauce than fake milk sauces.
    Silent but deadly :p

yeah, it's not nessecary at all. although, i like my behamel with soymilk!!

Quote flying plum View Post
    i've never really got into rice milk, but maybe will give that a fling in my spinach soup at the weekend.
    cool, i would recommend Rice Dream because i don't think it tastes sweet at all and goes well in a sauce i make for leeks with ground almonds and black pepper. Sainsbury's rice milk is really sweet and ruined my sauce when i had to use it once so i wouldn't go for that.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'