Thread: Bournemouth & Dorset vegan places to eat?

Default Bournemouth & Dorset vegan places to eat?

Hi Im off to Dorset April for a week and am wondering what vegan friendly places are there!

Staying in a village/town called Wimbourne Minster, 10 miles from Bournemouth and Poole.

Hope theres some good places, going with parents mums on route to being vegan/virtually vegan (about 90%) dad is not but is happy to eat in veggie/vegan places

Thanks Alison

Default Re: Dorset vegan places to eat?

hi Alison,

according to Vegetarian Britain there's a vegan restaurant in Boscombe near Bournemouth, they have a website here it sounds quite good to me.

there is also a veggie cafe in Weymouth called Cafe 21, see here

hope that helps
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: Dorset vegan places to eat?

Those sound great - thanks for that the vegan ones only 12 miles away, and they have vegan chco cake - dad will def not mind going!

Default Vegan Bournemouth

I'm planning on being in Bournemouth for a few days next month. Does anyone know of any vegan friendly places to eat? The hotel that we are staying in is having it's restaurant re-furbished (probably wouldn't have eaten there anyway).

Cheers!
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 11th, 2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan Bournemouth

I might be in Bournemouth too later this year so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

not actually in Bournemouth but there are a couple of ideas nearby in this thread here
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 11th, 2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: threads now merged
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I was there last week!

You need to go up to Boscome only 10 mins or less on the bus - either the yellow bus or the M1 OR M2 - cant remember which? There you will find the fab wessex tales opp bus station (mock tudor building) its advertised as vegetarian but is totally vegan (apart from dairy milk for those odd few i was told!) Wessex tales is wow food - puds are fab run by an all vegan staff team.

http://www.geocities.com/vegetarian_restaurant/

I did see the African bistro opposite did tofu steak? but rest of menu full of meat

Now going up to the crossing by the shops is a place called the salad centre - by a pet shop on the Christchurch road this is a veggie place but does have some vegan options - jackets, chilli etc and big salads, they had vegan apple pie and 1 of the cakes was vegan.

http://www.thesaladcentre.co.uk/index.html

Im told there is a place out of town in Westbourne? again 10 mins by bus called Flossies veggie with few vegan options.

Ah id forgotton Gorilla you had given me the links i was so glad of those - meant rather yummy lunch for me!

cool, glad i could help

They have a shakeaway in Bournemouth. Outrageously overpriced, but worth a visit for novelty purposes at least once each lifetime.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Bournemouth & Dorset vegan places to eat?

Missed that, there was a juice bar in a little arcade but was shut when i went, said it did soya smoothies

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    They have a shakeaway in Bournemouth. Outrageously overpriced, but worth a visit for novelty purposes at least once each lifetime.
    my thoughts exactly after visiting the one in Brighton for the first and last time!

Default Vegan Bournemouth

Hi

Im spending a long weekend in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks.
    Does anyone know of any good places to eat/visit?

Thanks
    Liz

Default Re: Bournemouth

Well I have friends in Christchurch so have been to Bournemouth quite a few times over the years although normally they cook for me at their home.

We've been to Wessex Tales in Boscombe but you need to book and they aren't open every night. It's okay, I don't think there are many other options open in the evenings aside from Pizza Express etc. Check it is still there.

For stuff open during the day The Salad Centre, also in Boscombe, is worth a look although they were a bit thrown by a request for vegan food when I went a while back - I think I ended up with a jacket potato and salad. Might be worth emailing them in advance, hopefully they will have improved.

I recently went to a nice new cafe which had vegan options - I'll get my friend to remind me what it is called and will post again.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks Marrers, if you could do that, id really appreciate it

Id heard of wessex tales and will probably give that a try but am a bit lost after that.

Thanks again!

It's called Bosca Nova and is also in Boscombe. It serves meat but has veggie and vegan options.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks Marrers! Looks good!

Hi Alison, thanks for the info, I will be in Bournemouth next weekend so I will definately check thoses places out

We have just come back from a weekend in Bournemouth. The weather wasn't great but we had some good meals! Zoukinis (www.zoukinis.com) is a veggie place with good vegan options, including a fab Sunday roast, and delicious coconut milk panacotta. Highly recommended! We also had nice food at a Mexican restaurant (www.coriander-restaurant.co.uk) which is not exclusively veggie but has a separate vegan menu and/or plenty of vegan sides.

Wessex Tales has now closed.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thanks for the info kaylee, very useful.

Such a shame that Wessex Tales has closed really loved that place

I went to Zoukinis when I was on holiday in the New Forest at Easter - really nice feel to the place and one of the best burgers Ive had - totally homemade. Nice friendly family run place - fair amount of vegan options all seemed fresh, tasty and homemade, when I went the vegan cakes had run out but they do a good range. (I didnt mind as left room for a shakeaway visit later on!)

I didnt find many vegan friendly places in Lymington where we stayed but there was an excellent health food store called Sweet Joe Pye there and a huge Waitrose with lots of good vegan options. The large Sat market had a stall selling great olives and tapas including bean and chick pea salads.

I went to a food festival in the next village Milford and there was a stall selling vegan brownies
    In Milford we found a family run Italian restaurant who I have to say went out of their way to make me welcome as a vegan - they had veggie options on the menu but are now looking into vegan options. We booked for in the week and they did a house salad with chilli infused tofu, a huge pizza minus the cheese with lots of roasted vege on (they will add soya cheese if you want it) and they made an iced peach sorbet for pud with a very boozy sauce. This restaurant is called Piccolo Mondo.

On our way home we went to Avebury stone circle and had lunch in the National Trust veggie cafe Circles - soup is always vegan, Mum and me had the chick pea main dish - very tasty and huge portion, had ginger vegan cake for pud. Strange thing was they did not stock soya milk despite being a veggie/vegan restaurant? It's a nice setting there but unless you have National trust membership like my parents do It's £5 to park!

Sorry for going slightly off topic in the Bournemouth thread but all within a short journey of Bournemouth! (apart from Avebury)

Post Re: Bournemouth & Dorset vegan places to eat?

Quote alisont View Post
    Hi Im off to Dorset April for a week and am wondering what vegan friendly places are there!

Staying in a village/town called Wimbourne Minster, 10 miles from Bournemouth and Poole.

Hope theres some good places, going with parents mums on route to being vegan/virtually vegan (about 90%) dad is not but is happy to eat in veggie/vegan places

Thanks Alison
    Hi Alison, I hope you found somewhere to eat! Your post is very high on Google search results and I wanted to let you (and others who find it) that you've inspired me to set up a website to help people find vegan friendly places to eat in Dorset. You can find it at dorsetvegan.weebly.com. Hope it's useful