Thread: Memphis

Default Memphis

would memphis be unsuitable for a liberal vegan like myself? i'm considering college out there but i don't know if i could survive.
    xxx
    john

Default Re: Memphis

What do you mean "unsuitable" exactly? If you are talking about having lots of vegan restaurants and ready made vegan foods I don't know. But I think very few people can actually say that their town or city has lots of vegan restaurants. Normally chefs can make you something if you ask, if you trust them that is! I don't know Memphis, but most grocery stores should stock beans, veggies, fruits and grains. I guess it depends on your priorities. Hopefully someone from Memphis will be along who can help you more

Here's a link I found with a couple of health food stores and restaurants.

Good luck with your choice!

Funny you thought food things, Fiamma. I was thinking attitudes. I'm afraid I can't help though, John. I've never been there.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Hehe Red! Reading John's post it does seem that he was probably referring more to attitudes than to food I suppose I never expect life as a vegan to be straightforward, or vegan-friendly; with it being such a big city I'm sure there will be at least some vegan friendly elements...

Quote xjohnx View Post
    would memphis be unsuitable for a liberal vegan like myself? i'm considering college out there but i don't know if i could survive.
    What did you decide John? Just curious...I think I am accepting an internship in Memphis over the summer. I am from St. Louis which isn't exactly vegan heaven, but from what I have seen it is better than Memphis vegan-wise.

I am currently here right now, and I seem to have a lot more problems out because less people understand what I can and cannot have even if I tell them, and seem confused as to why I would do such a thing. Overall they think I am silly I'm pretty sure.

As far as restaurants, I haven't found much, but I'm sure it will be okay! I like to cook, so I'm sure it will be fine.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

i'm going to school in LA at USC. it's pretty lame vegan wise, they rarely have vegan stuff and when they do, they put cheese on it as a garnish despite the "vegan" label. i'll live on campus soon though so i'll be able to eat vegan comfortably.
    xxx
    john

Oh, well good luck with school and all. I go to a school in a small town in Missouri, and it's pretty lame vegan wise as well, so I don't imagine Memphis will be any worse. I was just hopeing to talk to a Memphis vegan for tips.

And living off campus is definately better for eating vegan
    tabbouleh-bouleh