View Poll Results: Male circumcision: yes or no?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes to circumcision of male babies/children

20 10.47%
  • No to circumcision of male babies/children

171 89.53%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Circumcision or no circumcision?

Default Re: Circumcision or no circumcision?

Yep, I totally did!

Apparently the debate on whether to circumcise or not is still ongoing here in Australia according to my mum who is a nurse. Even though circumcision for non-medial purposes on infant boys has been banned in our hospitals for some time now, they were talking about letting it be allowed again. When I heard I was ... well in polite terms, livid. It's a barbaric practice and completely unnecessary and that's all I shall say at the moment

Beside, despite no experience what-so-ever, I much prefer the look of a natural penis anyway

Barbaric is the right word, but for some reason circumcision is defended by some adults - adult's whom I'm sure would never accept that a group of people stronger and bigger than them got together to cut of a part of their genitals against their will, while they were crying/screaming and trying to make resistance. If this would happen to them against their will, they'd call the police afterwards and try to have them put in jail.

It's mysterious and kind of spooky that there even are a few people who are against cruelty against animals - (and not only something as violent as circumcision, but far less violent actions against non-human animals) who are pro circumcision of human babies.

Maybe the argument is 'for religious reasons', and there are countries who forbid such actions unless they are for religions reasons. But would the same countries accept that someone would do something like that (or some other violent action) against an adult human against his will, it they did it for religious reasons? Do any countries - countries we are OK with comparing us with - have laws which let people get away with violence against adults (with or without knives) "for religious reasons"?

Child Circumcision: An Elephant in the Hospital

Ryan McAllister, PhD, is a parent, a biophysicist, an Assistant Professor of Physics and Oncology at Georgetown University, and also a volunteer who supports parents and families. Over the last 10 years he has been studying the medicalization of childbirth in U.S. hospitals.

If I had had a choice in the matter, I would definitely not have gotten my son circumcised. Unfortunately, he had a medical condition that necessitated circumcision I was heartbroken that he had to go through it; the poor thing was frightened and in pain and I cried my eyes out the whole time he was in the operating theatre. For years after the op he was terrified of doctors and hospitals. Despite the fact that I know it was necessary for his health, I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for it.

Circumcision is rare in the UK, and thank god for that. Mutilating innocent babies' genitals for anything other than medical reasons is just barbaric. Religion is not a valid excuse. Boys are born with foreskin, all of them, so it's obviously a natural and healthy thing. Leave the poor kids alone!
    xox

Poor babies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    not all men feel that way. my boyfriend wants to have his children circumcised.
    It's not really about what your boyfriend wants, though, is it? Does he want to be circumcised HIMSELF? That would be more telling. There's no way I'd sign myself up for circumcision if I was a man, therefore there's no way I'd subject anyone else to that.

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    It's not really about what your boyfriend wants, though, is it? Does he want to be circumcised HIMSELF? That would be more telling. There's no way I'd sign myself up for circumcision if I was a man, therefore there's no way I'd subject anyone else to that.
    Agreed Louise, agreed 100%

People seem to think that because babies cannot speak as adults can and are utterly dependent upon them, that the adults can do whatever they want with them, even if this means mutilating their little bodies. There are parallels between this treatment of babies and the treatment of equally innocent animals. Utterly disgusting and senseless.
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Due to complications at birth, I was never circumcised. At around the age of 14-15 I asked my doctor about it, and the look on his face was of shock. He couldn't believe I was thinking about it and asked if I had any medical reason for it, I said no. He said the pain from circumcision is tremendous, and that there's no reason to do it if I didn't need it.

So, if it's not needed and there's that much pain for it, the only reason it's done as a baby is for the same reason a dog's ears or tails are snipped as a baby. So they don't remember the pain. I myself would also not bother with something like this unless there was a medical necessity.

Quote Cacique View Post
    Due to complications at birth, I was never circumcised. At around the age of 14-15 I asked my doctor about it, and the look on his face was of shock. He couldn't believe I was thinking about it and asked if I had any medical reason for it, I said no. He said the pain from circumcision is tremendous, and that there's no reason to do it if I didn't need it.

So, if it's not needed and there's that much pain for it, the only reason it's done as a baby is for the same reason a dog's ears or tails are snipped as a baby. So they don't remember the pain. I myself would also not bother with something like this unless there was a medical necessity.

That doctor seems to be very sensible, Cacique, though I'm trying not to laugh that he would not think that circumcision isn't painful ...... totally isn't a very sensitive area of a male's body ........ nope, not at all *sarcasm*

I think if the doctor had been having a drink when I asked him about it, he probably would have spat it all over my face lol.

I noticed some people saying in this thread that male and female genital mutilation are not comparable.
    If you believe this, I urge you to watch this short youtube video...

My partner had Phimosis when he was young so had to get it circumcised. I love it 'cos I have OCD and I'm wary of the yucky stuff that hides under foreskins. I wouldn't want children to have it done for non-medical reasons though. Adults can make their own decision on whether they want to do it

That 'yucky stuff' is called smegma, it is found on both males and females and yes, while unpleasant, it does play an important role. Diet and basic hygiene can easily take care of it. I am glad that you do not condone circumcision on children for non-medical reasons though