Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tiredness

Unhappy Feeling weak, tired?

Freaky thing happened yesterday. I just finished climbing in the rock gym and as I was walking off the mats I started to feel really woozy and sweaty. I sat down and really started to loose it, sounds started becoming fainter and my vision went. My boyfriend saw and came over and grabbed me right before I passed out. I woke up 30 seconds later (or so) laying on a bench with my feet up. I was breathing very hard and was still sweaty and hot. The rest of the night I felt really "off".
    Today I was walking up a huge flight of stairs at the Uni and started to feel light headed again. Went to the doctor but he told me I passed out because I had just hit my elbow really hard while rock-climbing and the shock caused me to faint (sounds corny to me).
    What do you guys think? I've started taking iron about a week before this all happened so could it still be a problem with low iron? Or am I lacking something else? This has me freaked out a bit. I dont have a history of fainting.
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Default Re: Passed out yesterday

Are you eating enough before your activities?

tails4wagging

Is it 'the time of the month'??. If you are anaemic and you are menstruating that may be the problem?.

Is your blood pressure Ok?.

Did you have a meal just before the fainting attack, there is a condition, I had it once, called vago vagal attack which can occur straight after a meal, the vagus nerve is aggitated and can cause fainting, sweating etc,.This is harmless.

If you are normally healthy, I shouldnt worry too much, may just be a one off episode.

I fainted before due to a vasovagal response. If you were an omnivore, would you be questioning your nutritional status, just out of curiosity?

perhaps you were dehydrated? had you been drinking enough?

Any possibility you are pregnant?

Ok...I'll fill in the facts that I left out from my original post:
    1. I had enough to eat that day so I wouldn't think that was the problem
    2. Not that time of month and my blood pressure was normal when I got it checked the next day.
    3. If I was an omnivore I prob. would have questioned my nutritional status as well. Even when I was an omni I was very careful about my nutritional intake. But as an vegan I'm very careful to get enough iron and B12, so I was wondering if a lack of those could be a cause.
    4. Dont think I was dehydrated but you never know. I did ride my bike around town all day (but I do that everyday), so maybe that dehydrated me more then normal. But I've fainted from dehydration before (long ago) and it didn't feel the same. This time it struck me as odd that I was breathing so hard when I came to. I was thinking this might be due to lack of iron molecules in my hemoglobin to bind to oxygen. I'm getting bloodwork next week.
    5. PREGNANT?!?! oh my I HOPE not! It is not a likely thing. Its not quite that time of month for that to occur.

Thanks everyone for the questions/comments. I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this and we'll see what the doctor says next week. I'm still a bit on edge but I've been fairly clear-headed since then. Thank you all for the concern, how great it is to have such a good support group.

It is great you are feeling ok now. I hope you find out what it was. take care and hugs.

That used to happen to me when I had severe anaemia.

You mentioned rock climbing. Altitude can make you dizzy.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Well, I really wasn't that high. I was bouldering in a cave, which is just chalking up and climbing up/around rocks. The highest you can really get is about 8 feet or so.

Up-date: Feel good. I can tell a huge difference if I forget to take my iron for the day. Still need blood-work, things just got too crazy around here and I've been putting it off. Thanks again to everyone!

PolluxStar

Default Feeling weak / tired

No I don't take vitamns..

I take in about 20 grams ov protien a day .

I don't eat alot ov sugar.

for 6 months I didn't eat anything that had protien in it half a year ago.
    Last edited by Korn; May 21st, 2005 at 07:50 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Unhappy So tired

I've only been eating a vegan diet for 4 days, but never have I felt so tired in ages. Well, last time I felt this tired and ill I was pregnant, and I'm definitely not pregant again! I just feel I can't function, my poor son hasn't been taken out all weekend, I just want to sit down all the time, I'd love to go back to bed now!

I've been taking a supplement, eating as much of a variety of fruit, veg and legumes as possible, drinking water, 8 hours sleep a night, etc. I don't feel hungry, just so so tired.

Any ideas?

cross barer

Default Re: So tired

You may be detoxing. I got sick when I went vegan for about a week from memory, all those cheese poisons pouring out of the liver free at last.

LOL. Carrie- do you eat anything else besides just fruits and legumes?? Maybe it isn't your diet.. you do have a kid afterall.

No not just fruit and legumes, have been eating all kinds of things! Honestly, my son is being as good as gold and sleeping through etc, I just feel absolutely awful! I hope it is detoxing, hope I feel better soon because I'm going on my hols on Saturday!

Oh I see. I don't know why you feel like this then! Maybe your just getting over the shock of not consuming meat or animal foods..? I'm pretty sure it will pass.. hang in there!

Default Re: Feeling weak, tired

Why is my post here? I'm not sure the top post has much to do with mine, I'm a new vegan and haven't felt like this before I was vegan? Also, I'm not lightheaded or passing out, just really tired.

Only because we already had a thread about being tired, weak or have lack of strength/energy. We often merge thread about somewhat related topics!

Tired... to much computer gaming? Lower blood sugar than you're used to? Lack of fresh air? Too much time spent on internet?

Most people seem to get more energy ( http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3749 ) after switching to a vegan diet.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I would guess it's a coincidence that you're feeling tired just after going vegan - even if you hadn't balanced your diet properly I would be surprised if any nutritional deficiencies kicked in that fast! Maybe you're getting a cold or something - that always makes me feel tired.

One nutritional thing that might have a fast effect is if you're not getting enough calories to meet your needs. Are you?

Hope you feel better soon anyway and enjoy your hols.

I agree with you here Korn on the following notes of
    Tired... to much computer gaming? Lower blood sugar than you're used to? Lack of fresh air? Too much time spent on internet?

Since I left a job 4 years ago that was very active working in a disabled persons training centre to now working for a charity doing database and computer work I have felt these symptoms.

Today I have really started to read lots RE:B12 issues, at first I thought it was me being just tired not sleeping enough, and yes I was staying up late etc so I have changed my sleeping habbits and starting to sort myself out in that respect.

But I am still feeling tired, when I think back to my old line of work it was a different kind of tiredness an enerjectic tired, not a lathargic tired (ekk I hope my spelling is still ok) I really do think that PCs/TVs/Video Games etc all add up to a very tired bodys. They use just the mind to make the body work.

Although I am going to trial myself on 3 months of B12 complex from Quest
    http://www.questvitamins.co.uk/xcart...2&cat=6&page=1

I will let you all know how things go. I may even keep a blog or a diary or something online or on here to let you know how I feel each day....

I will start this when I come back of my caming trip in 3 weeks

snaffler
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Its also important to consider that most vegan foods are lower in fat/calories and higher in fiber. It is possible that carrie is experiancing a dramatic decline in calorie intake which could lead to being tired and headaches. Converting to vegan diet may require that people eat more and more frequently, especially athletes. Of course there are excceptions as some vegan food is very dense with calories and fat.

Kevster

Quote adam antichrist
    You may be detoxing. I got sick when I went vegan for about a week from memory, all those cheese poisons pouring out of the liver free at last.
    Agree with this, your body may need a little time to adjust?

Hmm, not sure if some people here know what it's like to have a 14 month old! I don't sit at my PC all day, usually 30 minutes in total grabbed throughout the day, spend the rest of my time running about after my son and cooking/cleaning, etc. In the evenings I can't go anywhere because he's in bed, so I spend from 7-9pm on my computer and do more housework, then go to bed.

I'm guessing it may be something to do with being a new vegan, perhaps my body adjusting because I am used to eating processed meats, cheese, milk etc every day.

Just in case my calorie intake isn't enough, I've gone back on Weight Watchers so I can keep an eye on it, and about time I did that anyway because I need to lose a few more pounds!

Thanks for your tips.

Zool

You might try an iron supplement. I know lack of iron sneaks up on me once and a while and makes me feel wiped out. It wouldn't hurt to try anyway.

Default i've lost my healthy glow, but still feel good

hey well, the thing is, after being vegetarian for 3 years i finally became a vegan about 4 weeks ago and recently my family went to visit my sister in college and she told me that i "lost my healthy glow" and she also said that she "doesnt like the way my skin looks" and also told me "you look pale and you have dark circles under your eyes". plus i think ive been getting more acne than i usually have. shes right, its all true siiiiigh... it doesnt make any sense though because my diet has changed in no way but for the better. cut out tons of sugar, i started taking a multi vitamin, vitamin c, and flax every night plus sometimes when i dont get enough calcium for the day i take a calcium pill and i eat really healthy foods like beans veggies nutritional yeast tofu, etc etc. hmm well i dont think im anemic because i tried taking iron and that didnt do anything to change my symptoms. and i do not feel tired or bad or anything, in fact, i feel great, i just look kind of sickly and tired and i cant figure out why. has this happened to anyone else when they became vegan? where they look sickly but feel good. what the heck is wrong with me? hmmm sorry this whole essay is about memememe but i just cant figure out where im going wrong. thanks so much for reading it sweetheart. oh lord i hope i dont have to start eating cheese again, i want to be vegan more than anything in the whole world.

Default Re: ive lost my healthy glow but still feel good

Have you stopped wearing makeup ? Lol - just joking.

Seriously though, I have no idea what this may be from...could you describe your diet a little more thoroughly? Are you excercising?

Cow milk products would never give you a healthy glow. It might be good for calves, but we're humans, a completely different species.

Have you tried eating some raw food as well, such as a salad per day? How about fruit?
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Have you stopped wearing makeup ? Lol - just joking.

Seriously though, I have no idea what this may be from...could you describe your diet a little more thoroughly? Are you excercising?

Quote Artichoke47
    Cow milk products would never give you a healthy glow. It might be good for calves, but we're humans, a completely different species.

Have you tried eating some raw food as well, such as a salad per day? How about fruit?
    aww thanks for trying to help, you all. well HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! that would have been funny if i had stopped wearing makeup and it had confused me LOL!! but i rarely wear it so that cant be it hehehe (except i am wearing it today). well i do for the most part excersize every day and i pretty much eat some sort of raw food or another every day by chance. and every day i make sure to get enough protein by eating pinto beans, or black beans, or chick peas, or tofu, or peanut butter or any other kind of nut or any other bean. and i eat veggies and fruit every day and i drink soy milk and take vitamins and i try to eat a variety of things because they say its healthy. sorry for the essay on what i eat everyday! and thanks again soo much

tails4wagging

Take a balanced vegan diet. Try Tofu/soya milk and fortified cereals. Lots of veg/fruit.

Look in the food/recipe section here for some good ideas. Dont be put off by pressure to revert back to dairy etc,.

Find a vegan buddy that lives near you to support you.

thank you so much for your suggestions but i do these things and still look sickly

Default Re: i've lost my healthy glow but still feel good

Hi grasshopper, it might be a lot of things. Vegans might be sick, in bad shape, depressed, spend too much time on internet... Vegans may also get too little fresh air/love/daylight/sleep, just like other people.

What you eat is only a part of your life. People who are into certain diets, have a tendency to explain everything with diet. Vegans have tendency to explain everything with B12, and some would suggest that you may have been low in B12 before you stopped eating dairy, and that you are now even lower (there is some B12 in cow's milk). Your multivitamins may contain B12 analogues, which could be a problem. Some people, like dr. Gabriel Cousens warn against nutritional yeast, because of the fungal potential. Some people become tired when they reduce the sugar intake (but only for a while...)... and so on.

If you look sickly, IMHO it's probably a good idea to contact someone for a personal consultation; giving health advice over internet to people one doesn't know is difficult, may not work at all, and could even lead you in the wrong direction. If you look at the profile pictures here, you'll see a lot of vegans that has not 'lost their healthy glow'.... To me, it doesn't sound like your problem is related to diet at all - but of course, depending on ie. your B12 levels before you became a vegan (if they were too low), they could be related to a lower intake of B12.

If you use our search function, you'll find a lot of info on raw vs. cooked food, organic vs. non-organic food, multivitamins, B12 and B12 analogues and other relevant topics. Good luck!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: i've lost my healthy glow but still feel good

Vegans, just like everyone else, can have 'low' patches. Sometimes you don't notice stress creeping up on you, the effects of summer dehydration, not sleeping etc. It could be a whole host of things, and not always diet related.

Just remember, if you got to the doctors and tell them all the details, the chances are they'll tell you to stop being vegan.

If I were you I'd get one of those lists of what a vegan needs to eat each day and properly make sure you're getting it all. I did that when I first went vegan, and then found some recipes that covered all the bases. Flapjacks with lots of added various seeds are good for that purpose, along with things like spinach soup.

yogini

Default Re: i've lost my healthy glow, but still feel good

hey grasshopper..
    are you getting enough zzzzz's?
    when i dont get enough sleep my skin gets dry and i look really pale. maybe its tiredness?

sometimes losing weight (which easily happens when ur vegan i think) can make you look tired.

also i find when i eat legumes every day, esp kidney beans and rice, my skin tends to glow ..not sure the xplanantion for this, its just something ive noticed..

when i first became vegan my hair got really dry and so did my skin but after a while it settled down again. guess our bodies need a chance to adjust to any kind of change,evan a good one like veganism.

xxx

thank yuo all so so so much. well im blaming it on my diet because i havent done anything in my lifestyle different in the past 4 weeks except for becoming a vegan. and hey wow i never really thought of the thing where losing weight might make someone look tired because i did lose a pound :/ so maybe thats it. oh and thanks for the b12 info too ill find out about analogues. and the list idea of what a vegan needs to eat each day is a fabulous idea, im going to try it and see if anything changes and the idea that maybe my body isnt used to it yet, thats very interesting and i hope its the case. gracias gracias gracias you all really gave some great advice. thanks sooooooo much

Smile Re: i've lost my healthy glow, but still feel good

hey grasshopper,

It sounds like your body is adjusting to your new healthy diet. All the toxins in dairy and sugar were in your diet before, now you have cut them out, your body is full of toxins and it is just clearing them. The same thing happenend to me. When I first went vegan I lost over half a stone(am thin already) and i looked so pale, everyone was worried and kept telling me that I looked too thin and didn't need to loose weight. They all blamed it on my diet, which annoyed me. After a 6 wks, I was back to my normal weight and now everyone compliments me on how healthey I look. It takes time, but hang in there.x
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

yes!!!!!!!! im so happy!! i just thought that i might be a freak who has to have animal protein to be healthy. yay!! so it could be just a transitional thing!! thank you so much!!!!

(Sorry off topic)
    Nivvie, Can you point me in the direction of a list like that? I cant find any :?
    thanks.
    (/end off topic)
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

I printed one out a few years back, but I've had a quick look and the table's gone!
    There's tons of nutritional info out there if you Google 'vegan nutrition', but not my handy table anymore, arrgghh!

The other thing is to buy a good book about it, there's bound to be a thread about it somewhere.

Oohh, I've just rememeber a weird thing about when I went vegan. Mouth ulcers, tons of them. At one point I had about 9 at once, nightmare......wore off after a few weeks though.

yogini

hey nivvie, i get mouth ulcers quite alot, how did you get rid of yours?
    they are horrible things!!!

I steered clear of acidic food for a while, and they just seemed to wear off.
    It seems to be quite common. A friend of mine's son is lactose intolerant, and allergic to everything. As a toddler he permanently had a mouth full of them, drove her mad, but as in the end they just stopped.

Sorry I can't be more specific!

Quote grasshopper
    im blaming it on my diet because i havent done anything in my lifestyle different in the past 4 weeks except for becoming a vegan.
    Most people who get health problems do it without having changed their diet. There's no guarantee that a health problem won't pop up at the moment of switching from or to another diet. Lots of people, like me, have switched to a vegan diet without the problems you mention... and most vegans report increased energy levels after having removed animal products from their diet. Even the most active anti-vegan trolls probably wouldn't suggest that what you experience after four weeks could have anything to do with lack of nutrients you earlier got from dairy products, except that you might have had low B12 levels already when you switched.

Loosing weight, especially sudden weight loss, can cause various symptoms, including increased homocysteine levels.

and the list idea of what a vegan needs to eat each day is a fabulous idea, im going to try it and see if anything changes
    It's always good to know a little about nutrition... the ironic thing is that most meat eaters, who really would benefit from more knowledge about health and nutrition (they are normally deficient in more nutrients than vegans) aren't very interested in what their body needs at all (until the moment where they possibly go vegan).

Still, a vegan diet is known to be both healthy and cleansing. I think a number of people go vegan at a moment where they really don't feel good/healthy anymore eating animal products. They expect a sudden switch when going vegan, but in some cases go through some sort of detox process first, and/or experience changes not related to animal/plant products (like lower blood sugar if they drop sugar as well). They might also know too little about plant food to be able to make/eat healthy vegan meals in the beginning, for example they might only be eating processed food, or too little food (when combining the switch to vegan food with the desire to lose weight) - or too much of certain things (because they get cravings as a result of removing stuff they are used to, and not replacing them with plant based/healthy food).

Lacto-vegetarian food is lower in B12 than a meat based diet. 40% of all meat eaters are either B12 deficient or have low B12 levels, and the number is higher for lacto-vegetarians. Dependent on your former eating habits and life style, you could have a B12 related problem, but I'm only guessing... (you'll soon discover that I'm a little obsessed with B12... )

mouth ulcers? What are those?

I'll look up vegan nutrition on google, I'm really worried that I'm not eating enough of some stuff, and becausse of lots of things think I might have low levels of some vitamins. (I don't know anything about vitamins really.)

Grasshopper, sorry for barging in on your thread. I just noticed that it looked like a good place to leech some info and I though I really shouldn't be making a new thread about it.
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

yogini

[QUOTE=l337_v3g4n_1]mouth ulcers? What are those?

if you dont know what they are then you are really lucky!!
    they are little open sores on the inside of your mouth or on your gums or tongue, they really hurt when you eat or talk. salty food makes them sting like mad aswell.
    i dont know what causes them..i get them if i accidentally bite my tongue or brush my teeth too hard. .but sometimes they appear for no reason at all!

a bit off topic, i went to iceland a few months ago, and absolutely LOVED it..i wish i could live there!!!!!!!!!!!

Mouth ulcers and cracked lips can be a lack of vitamin B2, I know I always had really dry lips and got mouth ulcers regularly, when I became Vegan I looked into it a little more and started getting the soya that had most vitamins in, seemed to work well as I never get ulcers anymore!

It's so strange that some people think that omni's are less likely to be nutrient deficient.
    Until you mentioned about cracked lips Glen I hadn't thought about it, but mine have been fine since going vegan and I used to have a real problem with it.

Quote Korn
    Most people who get health problems do it without having changed their diet. There's no guarantee that a health problem won't pop up at the moment of switching from or to another diet. Lots of people, like me, have switched to a vegan diet without the problems you mention... and most vegans report increased energy levels after having removed animal products from their diet. Even the most active anti-vegan trolls probably wouldn't suggest that what you experience after four weeks could have anything to do with lack of nutrients you earlier got from dairy products, except that you might have had low B12 levels already when you switched.

Loosing weight, especially sudden weight loss, can cause various symptoms, including increased homocysteine levels.

It's always good to know a little about nutrition... the ironic thing is that most meat eaters, who really would benefit from more knowledge about health and nutrition (they are normally deficient in more nutrients than vegans) aren't very interested in what their body needs at all (until the moment where they possibly go vegan).

Still, a vegan diet is known to be both healthy and cleansing. I think a number of people go vegan at a moment where they really don't feel good/healthy anymore eating animal products. They expect a sudden switch when going vegan, but in some cases go through some sort of detox process first, and/or experience changes not related to animal/plant products (like lower blood sugar if they drop sugar as well). They might also know too little about plant food to be able to make/eat healthy vegan meals in the beginning, for example they might only be eating processed food, or too little food (when combining the switch to vegan food with the desire to loose weight) - or too much of certain things (because they get cravings as a result of removing stuff they are used to, and not replacing them with plant based/healthy food).

Lacto-vegetarian food is lower in B12 than a meat based diet. 40% of all meat eaters are either B12 deficient or have low B12 levels, and the number is higher for lacto-vegetarians. Dependent on your former eating habits and life style, you could have a B12 related problem, but I'm only guessing... (you'll soon discover that I'm a little obsessed with B12... )
    ^__^ wow, thank you sooooo much for taking the time to type out a very helpful reply. youre probably right when you say the problem doesnt have to do with veganism because if you do it right, then its supposed to be very healthy for you. indeed, its probably blood sugar or something, something related to adjusting to lower amounts of sugar, ive never thought of that. oh ill try taking more b12 too. ill just stick it out and see wht happens. tytyty!

Quote l337_v3g4n_1
    mouth ulcers? What are those?

I'll look up vegan nutrition on google, I'm really worried that I'm not eating enough of some stuff, and becausse of lots of things think I might have low levels of some vitamins. (I don't know anything about vitamins really.)

Grasshopper, sorry for barging in on your thread. I just noticed that it looked like a good place to leech some info and I though I really shouldn't be making a new thread about it.
    haha youre so funny, youre not barging in on this thread, this message board is for everyone! thats really sweet of you to be concerned about worrying about barging in though.

I love how sisters mess with each other's heads. "Damn girl, you look like shit. You've lost that healthy glow, sis."

BTW, that's the "Fake Plastic Trees" video, right?