Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tiredness

Default Re: i've lost my healthy glow, but still feel good

Quote John
    I love how sisters mess with each other's heads. "Damn girl, you look like shit. You've lost that healthy glow, sis."

BTW, that's the "Fake Plastic Trees" video, right?
    hahahaAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!HAHAHA!!!! she didnt exactly say "Damn girl, you look like shit." but it was close enough, LMAO (laughing my ass off)!!!!!!!!!!
    ...dead on target, yep its fake plastic trees

Either Thom's got a bug in his ear or he's permanently about sneeze.

LOL!!!!!!!!

eh, Ive gotten mouth ulcers before, they are nasty! Funny thing is, I have never gotten them since going vegan

I though you were talking about something else. See I've got these yellowish (almost white) lumps forming in my throat, and they taste (No, I haent been chomping down on them! ) like shit. Or at least what I'd think shit'd taste like. Best not to think about it too much. Anyways, does anyone knw what these are? I've had them coming for a long time. Ick.
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

yogini

hmmmm i really dont know but it sounds nasty, maybe u should see a doctor?

maybe. I was thinking of asking around here first, because most of the time there is someone on here that knows whatever you ask about.
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

Quote l337_v3g4n_1
    eh, Ive gotten mouth ulcers before, they are nasty! Funny thing is, I have never gotten them since going vegan

I though you were talking about something else. See I've got these yellowish (almost white) lumps forming in my throat, and they taste (No, I haent been chomping down on them! ) like shit. Or at least what I'd think shit'd taste like. Best not to think about it too much. Anyways, does anyone knw what these are? I've had them coming for a long time. Ick.
    "and they taste like shit" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yea i get those little bitches too. yuo cough them up right? thats what happens to me. and its actually a pretty common thing. they form in the tonsils and a couple times (edit: actually many a times) ive gotten really big ones and i open my mouth and can see them!! so i stick my finger down my throat and dislodge them!! they are called tonsilloliths ("tonsil stones"). heres an article on em here http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xlith.htm

Thank you, Grasshopper.

Those are exactly the same as I have. *shudder*
    Today my tounge smelled and tasted the same as those things, absolutely horrendous! .
    Anyway, I'll check out that link. thanks again!

ok, read that thing, and I'll try tthe gargling with salt water. have you tried it? does it work?
    I really don't want my tonsils out. (I like 'em, plus I heard they were a small source of b12 )

Quote l337_v3g4n_1
    ok, read that thing, and I'll try tthe gargling with salt water. have you tried it? does it work?
    I really don't want my tonsils out. (I like 'em, plus I heard they were a small source of b12 )
    i havent tried the gargling with salt water thing because personally i dont get them often enough for them to be a big pain. oops didnt mean to give a link to an article that suggests getting the tonsils removed! i think thats only for extreme cases.

Quote Kumem
    It's so strange that some people think that omni's are less likely to be nutrient deficient.
    Until you mentioned about cracked lips Glen I hadn't thought about it, but mine have been fine since going vegan and I used to have a real problem with it.
    3 of my meat eating friends are anaemic...but I've never been.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

my mom, papa and sister were/are all anemic and had a b12 deficiency but all meateaters.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

How about this for a diet? Plenty of hearty bean soups with tofu and whole grain breads and veggies, suited to taste and plenty of leafy green raw vegetables in salads, and of course fruit is good too, but I personally eat very little of it.

Oh, and potent vegetable-based vitamin supplements are a must.

Try using plenty of fresh garlic and cayenne in your food. That'll bring back your healthy glow, and right quick.
    "Even if I am a minority of one, truth is still the truth."

Gandhi

gracias, sounds great i looove beans

beans, beans, they're good for your heart,
    the more you eat the more you fart,
    the more you fart the better you feel,
    so eat beans with every meal!!

Sorry, everyones heard this I think, I just had to post it

HAHA

Default Tiredness

Ok, so for the past month or so, i've been feeling very tired. i haven't been getting a vast amount of sleep, but at least 7/8 hours a night, apart from maybe a few late ones every so often at weekends. I was starting to wonder if my diet was part of the problem. i'm pretty good about getting protein, but perhaps i'm not getting enough iron? i just don't want to get out of bed in the morning, and i feel very sleepy by 3pm ish.

It might be other factors, but i suspect it's partly me. i'm going to start keeping a food and sleep diary and analyse it, but in the mean time, if anyone's got any suggestions for a quick boost, that would be appreciated

amanda
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 1st, 2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Tiredness

sorry *blush* i did do a search, but i didn't want to bump up an old topic. every forum has different ettiquette, huh?

amanda

Good sperm

Buy frozen berries in the supermarket and make them into smoothies with vanilla rice milk and a banana, an easy way to get more vitamins and yummy and full of energy too

sorry *blush* i did do a search, but i didn't want to bump up an old topic. every forum has different ettiquette, huh?

Sometimes we merge threads, sometimes we don't, and sometimes we merge threads after a while - so... No problem....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I often get tired too. I eat very few grains because I find they bloat me; I might have some cereal of muesli in the morning and a little bread throughout the day but that's it. I mainly eat veggie soups and stews, with beans and pulses wherever possible, with moderate amounts of tofu and tempeh.

So my question is - could eating so few grains be making me tired, and will eating well in other areas (plenty of veggies, fruits and pulses, seeds and nuts etc.) make up for it?

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Buy frozen berries in the supermarket and make them into smoothies with vanilla rice milk and a banana, an easy way to get more vitamins and yummy and full of energy too
    actually, i have been quite down on my fruit consumption recently. not been enticed by apples and that seems to be about all the fruit stall guy seems to have at the moment! granted, about fifty different types, but even so. there's only so much apple crumble one can make! i loathe going to the supermarket, but for the sake of some berries i shall pop into sainsbury's tomorrow when i go down to the market.

amanda

Default Re: Feeling weak, tired

Quote Carrie View Post
    Why is my post here? I'm not sure the top post has much to do with mine, I'm a new vegan and haven't felt like this before I was vegan? Also, I'm not lightheaded or passing out, just really tired.
    I'm the same. Been vegan for a week now and I'm just so tired. I trying not to be paranoid but damn. All I want to do is sleep and have powernaps hahaha. I hope it's just my body getting used to the changes. Going to keep a food diary from tomorrow too and if it continues in a few weeks time I'm going to go to the doctors.

A word of caution for the iron deficient...

Adding spinach to your diet will not necessarily help. Spinach does have non heme dietary iron, which absorbs slowly into the body with the help of binders such as vitamin C. But it also has oxalate. Oxalate binds to iron and removes iron from the body. If you are anemic, don't increase your spinach intake, it could make things worse.

Good sperm

Plenty of fruit and veg, a variety of foods, enough food (vegan diet is often low in calories, so eat plenty of high GI carbs such as wholewheat pasta brown rice etc for energy), a good night's sleep and exercise to sort out your energy levels and you should be fine.
    If not, then see a doctor as it's not your diet.

I went Vegan over 10 years ago - the first year was awful. I was exhausted all the time. It took me another year or 2 to pick up. I did eat tonnes of pulses, tofu, grains etc, but my body went into shock. I had been veggie for a few years, but gave up eggs and dairy within a few months of each other.

Now I'm the healthiest I've ever been. However 3 years ago I started to lose loads of weight and be exhausted. I tried increasing the good quality pulses (daals, beans cooked from scratch - see www.jaydave.com for some great recipes) and upped my omega 3, sometimes just downing a tablespoon neat (ugh!) adding it at the last minute to casserole before serving (so it was warmed not cooked in), in salad dressing etc.

Acne - terrible. I found kelp and evening primrose oil daily helped with this, Lush face products. Now I just get spots at the time of the month, and not always. Skin great apart from that, no lines at 41!

Reasons for my tiredness? Let's be honest, it's alot to learn. You may not be getting everything you need to start with, there's SO much to remember, your body's used to getting it from other things. However, the key point is - IT'S WORTH STICKING WITH. I have the BEST health EVER, I look 10 years younger than my age to the point that nearly everyone comments on it, but it isn't easy to start with. I haven't forgotten it, although I find it VERY EASY NOW!

BlackCats

Greenspecs - you do look younger than your age.

I found that when I went vegan I was not tired at all I needed a lot less sleep - in fact I couldn't get so sleep properly for a couple months. It has settled down now.

Hey,
    For some reason i have been feeling very tired for a few weeks now and i dont know why.
    ive been vegan for about 2 months, i have a brilliant varied diet, i sleep about 10 hours a night and i exercise regually. Note, i was tired BEFORE i started going to the gym. I used to have so much energy and was awake at about 7 when i first went vegan. Now i just want to sleep, my eyes are sore because i just want to close them. I have energy let still feel lathargic. The only time i feel 'alive' is when im working out.

Any suggestions?
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Are you getting enough iron in your diet? Anaemia is a possible cause of tiredness.

Here's some ideas for getting more iron:

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/iron.php

10 hours seems quite a long time to sleep so if that's more than you usually get it could be contributing to the feeling of lethargy.

lol, ive always had to have around 10 hours to be able to function properly, and it has normally served me well!
    I know i dont eat as much beans and lentals as i could, would that help?

^ beans and lentils are certainly good sources of iron and could help you feel better if you're slightly anaemic.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Buddha Belly

A collegue found purple cornflower. She was hyper as hell and always is when she has some on her cornflakes. She said it is raw ground root from Peru. A proper energy giver, she is getting some from a website called 'synergy' (i think)

purple cornflower!!???

how does it give you energy? I mean what kind of sugar type thing gives you the energy?